Okay, so I just upgraded my really old AMD 6950 to a shiny new 1060

Okay, so I just upgraded my really old AMD 6950 to a shiny new 1060.

Can now play GTA 5 on the very highest settings at 50-60 fps, now I'm thinking my PC could be bottle necked somewhere else.

What would you do next?

I only really use my PC for general games/browsing and a bit of 3D rendering (Creo/matlab)

I am looking forward to Bannerlord coming out and I don't know if some of my components could be limiting a game like that to its full potential.

Also, general Speccy thread

Did you get the worst overclocking 2500k, ever?

Also step up to a 3770K.

Should have bought the 6gb model.

huh?
4.5ghz is alright i thought

>mfw op system pretty much same as mine

I have a 6950 w/2500k,Crucial m4 128gb ssd, etc etc. Still didn't oc my 2500k either lool.

All deals so shit in Canada, wanted a 480x 4gb, or 1060 6gb for 250 CAD max. But they're all pushing past 300.

Feels bad man.

The 1060 3GB is gimped

i know, but in the UK its like £50 less, and only drops like 2-3% on fps on the benchmarks i could find

also, are games really going to use more than 3gb at 1080p?

Why would your replace more expensive components instead of just spending the extra 50?

Not at 1.36V.

Your resolution isn't really important, it's the quality of textures you want to use.

shieeet, ill need to bump it up then. 1.5 to 1.6 should do it?

I know what you mean, but performance wise it's almost identical and I couldn't justify paying 25% more on a card for more Vram that games don't use unless its 1440p/4k

should I become a jew and send it back for the 6gb?

Its not identical, the 6gb version performs like a 980. Games like GTA V already use over 2gb of vram now, do you only plan on keeping your card for old games?
Truth

Well I plan to keep this card for a good few years, 3-5, but I'm not really too bothered about graphics to be honest. It's nice but I'm more than happy to put AA down or something.

Most games I play are RTS and the only game I'm concerned about would be bannerlord.

If 3gb isn't going to be enough to handle games like that on the higher settings then I'm inclined to spend the extra 50 desu

Push that cpu a little bit more if you got the cooling for it. Sadly it's truth that 1.36v for 4.5 is a bit Meehh but it doesn't mean you can't tweak it a bit more.
I also lost the cpu lottery with my 2500k
Same as you I need 1.36v for 4.5ghz
And I still can push it to 4.7/4.8.
Also GTA V is one of the toughest to hold 60 fps , what about your other games ?

Running the Coolermaster Hyper 212.

If we think the CPU is what could be holding the fps back I'm tempted to buy a 6600k or something but it's a big step I could save until next year if I can squeeze some more life out of the 2500k.

I think GTA 5 is probably the hardest game I have to run.

ARK (that unoptomised piece of shit) runs pretty good at high settings and for the highest, Witcher 2, Warhammer, Civ 6, and MGS5 all run around 60 no problem.

>shieeet, ill need to bump it up then. 1.5 to 1.6 should do it?
Huh? 1.6 whats? Surely not volts.

I'm this guy opTbh, I'm usually a price/performance guy and I wouldn't even buy the 3gb version of the gtx1060.

Think about it, I bought the Radeon 6950 2gb like five years ago.

Only 1gb more ram in a 1060? Fuck that, Radeon 480x 4gb at the minimum.

I know what you mean. But having more Vram is 100% pointless if you wont be using it. It will have zero difference to the FPS unless Vram runs out.

My question would be are games (running at 1080p) that are coming out in the next couple of years going to push further than 3gb?

It depends on the textures you want to use or are forced to use.

Okay, shit, I guess the third party mods that could come out for bannerlord could really hog up a shitload of that gpu memory?

Maybe if they replace the textures with ones large enough, sure. I wouldn't worry about it, 3GB will probably be fine for a while, especially if you can turn the texture resolution down.

What about new ram ? 2500k here running with 2133mhz Ram.
If your mobo can handle it.
Cheaper then a new Skylake build.

The ram ive got is 5 years old 4 x 2gb, at 1600mhz. I mean RAM is cheap sure, any way I can tell if thats whats restricting anything?

It's likely not. You should be fine with what you have.

Cool

So I benched my 4.5ghz 2500k vs a standard 6600k and it performs almost as well suprisingly

You were supposed to buy a 480

but the 1060 3gb has better benchmarks and is cheaper

Not in DX12/Vulkan, which is the future. You will also most likely run out of VRAM on the 3GB card

I know I should've bought the 6gb of the 1060 but the 3gb was on sale and I got it for a decent price. I want to buy another stick of ram but the prices are jacked right now.