Hi, I don't have much money to spend but would like to buy a 7-10" tablet that will last me a few years

Hi, I don't have much money to spend but would like to buy a 7-10" tablet that will last me a few years.

Is this a decent choice? It's £180 / $220:

currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/asus-zenpad-z580c-8-tablet-32-gb-black-10147874-pdt.html

I know this isn't personal review forum but I'd appreciate advice as I've never owned a tablet before.

Other urls found in this thread:

zenpad.org/2015/06/difference-between-z580ca-vs-z580c/
anandtech.com/show/9555/the-asus-zenpad-s-z580ca-review
amazon.com/ASUS-ZenPad-Z580C-B1-BK-32-Table/dp/B011TVF5QC
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>currys.co.uk

50$ fire 7

Root
Install cyanogem
Enjoy

Specs:

ASUS ZenPad Z580C 8" Tablet - 32 GB

- Intel® Atom™ Z3530 Processor
- Quad-core
- 1.33 GHz
- 2 MB cache

-1536 x 2048 resolution
- 324 ppi

Yeah I checked out the fire 7 and "HD" 8 in store but the screens were pretty shitty but obviously they are a lot cheaper

I was considering the nVidia Shield K1 earlier this year.

>$200
>8"
>1920x1080 IPS
>283 PPI
>nVidia Tegra K1
>A15 x4 2.2GHz
>2GB RAM
>16GB storage
>SD slot

The Shield K1 would appear to have a sizable edge in horsepower but the ASUS has the better screen, at least on paper. If I were using it to read, I might well prefer 324 PPI over 283. It's a tough call without seeing both.

>ausi
buy a xiaomi.

>Asus + Intel
Enjoy never ever getting software updates.

Not bad if you can be fucked getting rid of the shitware it comes loaded with.

There's a 4GB model I believe, it's that one you should be getting. But...

I've seen both screens, the Asus has better resolution but there's something really... GOOD... about the Shield screen; the colour temperature is just right.

Also the Asus has a pretty crappy "skin" over Android and finally...

Its true; the Asus uses Intel chips which aren't 100% compatible with all Android software.

So I just checked and it's the z580CA you should be getting

zenpad.org/2015/06/difference-between-z580ca-vs-z580c/

>the Asus uses Intel chips which aren't 100% compatible with all Android software.

The Atom mobile stuff tended to be less battery efficient than ARM as well, if I'm remembering my ZenFone 2 research properly.

Anandtech reviewed the CA:

anandtech.com/show/9555/the-asus-zenpad-s-z580ca-review

The current pricing on the CA seems more in-line with the equivalent iPad Mini though.

Amazon (USA) has the z580C for $159:

amazon.com/ASUS-ZenPad-Z580C-B1-BK-32-Table/dp/B011TVF5QC

The Shield K1 is available for $199 from Best Buy and B&H. I'd say that tilts the field in favor of the z580C right now.

Hit up /csg/ my man

Jesus H. Christ that review was thorough

What I got from all those bar charts is that the Nvidia Shield kicks fucking ass considering it costs under $200

Sent from my Nvidia Shield

Thanks for replies. I went ahead and bought the ASUS just now online. I considered getting the Shield but it was a bit more expensive, older, and seemed to be more orientated for gamers. Also the iPad Mini 2 is good build quality but it's even more expensive and older. Hopefully the ASUS will be good without spending a lot on a real premium tablet.

dell venue 7 7840 is what you are looking for. also has a stylus

I bought the Fire HD 8 because it was cheap as fuck.

It does what i need, which is browse the web, stream netflix/prime/youtube, read e-books/comics and play the occasional game. A full HD screen would be nice but honestly unless i put my face right up close i can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on just an 8'' screen.

Just know that Asus are known for never updating the OS on their tablets.
So the OS that comes with it is the one you are going to be using for a long time.

Get a shield tablet and stop being a faggot.

I couldn't find anywhere where I could buy Dell tablets in the UK so wasn't an option

Yeah the Fire HD 8 was my 2nd choice. It was decent enough I just found the screen was visibly lower quality personally.

I think this is on 6.0 now and will likely get 7.0?

As I said i've not had Android tablet before. What does it mean if I'm on 6.0 for a few months longer than other devices? Is it really a big issue, like for security or something, or is it just as case of having the newest latest software. If its the latter I don't think that'll be an issue for me.

Huawei Mediapad M3 is the only good android tablet on the market but it is 338€.

Is there anything wrong with the mipad2 considering it seems to compete decently on price against the Z580C and media pad in the UK. Considering it has uefi, can it boot Linux as well?

The version of Android you're using is pretty irrelevant. Although each new version of Android introduces new features and improvements, it doesn't make any difference what apps you can run. I'm sure even Jellybean can run all the apps on the Play Store. The only substantive difference between the versions of Android is that Android 4.4 fucked SD card access right up.