Web: undeadly.org

Other urls found in this thread:

bsdly.blogspot.com/2012/07/keeping-your-openbsd-system-in-trim.html
man.openbsd.org/autoinstall
man.openbsd.org/apmd.8
openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraid
twitter.com/AnonBabble

News:

- Shitty env vars and unused ports cruft contained under the build user. Who compiles things from source in 2016 anyway?

- vmd works great, but only if you bought Intel

- No need to alias doas to sudo on BSD; easier to alias sudo to doas on Linux

is this the new bsd thread?

What *BSD has application layer firewall so I can block a specific application from accessing the internet.

I want to block virtualbox, geany etc. Is it possible?

Good question. If you're running VirtualBox, you're not running OpenBSD, so that's that.

All BSDs have Snort in the ports tree, but you know it's possible to configure VMs without a network device too.

OpenBSD has a god tier firewall called pf, the best out of all the other BSDs firewalls and better than Linux iptables.

How to update OBSD?

>BSD

Short answer:

1. Download sets
2. Reboot, type "bsd.rd" at boot prompt
3. Select "upgrade" and follow steps
4. Install sets from /mnt/path/to/downloaded/sets
5. Reboot, do sysmerge and pkg_add -u

Long answer:

bsdly.blogspot.com/2012/07/keeping-your-openbsd-system-in-trim.html

Also: man.openbsd.org/autoinstall

>2 reboots
That seems like a lot of work. What is the freebsd-update fetch install equivalent?

It's scriptable with sh, autoinstall, and cron, but I haven't tried that yet so no comment.

When I get back on bare metal we'll see how easy it is

I love how they don't actually answer your question.

>BSD user's face when you ask if it has a feature.

Well I gave 3 answers:

- Don't use OBSD if you want VBox
- Use Snort if you think you need it
- Disabling virtual networking in VBox is literally 1 click: Settings > Network > Uncheck "enable network adapter"

Otherwise, using a layer 7 firewall is more of a bug than a feature if your system comes with pf, as every BSD does

Bump, tripfags need not apply.

I'm getting ready to go 100% OpenBSD, but all my files are on an ext4 partition. ext4 read access is shoddy on OBSD, but ext2 is supported fine. Assuming I have 1 spare disk and a gparted live cd, what's the least labor-intensive way to transfer the files? Can i do it in one transfer, or do I need 2?

old ext4 data -> new ext2 disk
format old ext4 as FFS in OBSD
transfer back and format new disk as FFS

does bsd have have anything like linux-phc to undervolt core duo cpus?

OBSD comes with apmd. set the -A flag in /etc/rc.conf.local and it will underclock your CPU as needed. works on all supported platforms, aka virtually every i386 or amd64 processor

man.openbsd.org/apmd.8

you can't mount ext4 in openbsd? i'm pretty sure you can at least read the partitions

if it can read NTFS just fine, why wouldn't it read ext4

i think you can actually set the frequency using sysctl but im not sure about undervolting

>can't mount ext4
Honestly I'm not sure. there's a mount_ext2fs utility, and read access for ext4 is apparently supported by the devs, but people online say it's imperfect.

>set the frequency using sysctl
this is also possible, yes

i never ran into problems with NTFS reading, which was also claimed to be imperfect

i don't know, maybe it varies for ext4, but you would think it's better with it being open and all

All right, good to know, thanks. looks like I can just do this then:

1. Set up encrypted /home on new HDD during install
2. Mount old HDD and rsync it all
3. Nuke old HDD and do bioctl/softraid encryption as seen here

openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraid