Previously: >>57746158

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 2)
archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/ - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/time#UTC_in_Windows
landoflinux.com/linux_install_architect_linux.html
youtube.com/channel/UC14nSzhFxrPVOW4xdh7HOug?app=desktop
youtube.com/user/funct906/videos
rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No hands.

How do i linux my boxen?

show me ur TTYs

if i decapitate a chicken, will it run headless?

who is sara?

Are all kernel modules available for ARM? I want to buy a raspberry pi, can I plug a headset than I know works on my desktop PC? Will it work with the raspberry?

not part of the kernel

I'm using Arch Linux, if it matters.

what causes this to happen?

Let me interject for a moment. What you are referring to as GNU/Linux is, in fact, wayland/arch/systemd/GNU/Linux. Or, as I like to call it, systemd Plus Linux Plus Some Other Shit.

What did he mean by this?

So, instead of cleaning up and repartiotioning my internall hdd, buying a cheap thumb drive and installing linux on that is an option? Would that cause any problems?

who is this woman
are there more images

your system got lost and can't be found. consider filling a missing persons report with the police (not the band)

what to happen? And why do you use the -v flag?

If the flash drive is cheap you will get poor I/O performance

I asked in the previous thread about mounting. Turns out I was wrong, there is no /mount, but /media for mounting. Why is there both /media and /mnt for mounting? Which would I use for temporary mounting like a CD-ROM drive or USB drive?

I have a problem, I'm dual booting with Windows and it seems like Linux is setting system clock to be my regular clock while Windows is using system clock as Greenwich time because there's always constant difference.

If someone faced this problem, can you give me leads?

that's sarah, his brother without a dick

There is /media, /run/media, /mnt etc

you can mount anything anywhere

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/time#UTC_in_Windows

which ever the fuck you want
you could mount it to /usb if you wanted too.
Its YOUR system. Out side of the main required folders, you can do fuck all with it.

When i used samba i used /media and had all my shit there

Actually not true, there's rules. I've read in some Linux magazine (take a look at your local newspaper stand, they seel couple of these magazines and they are literally crammed with useful information).

One was for removable media, one was for media that has to be mounted virtually or some shit.

I stopped using Linux, so I forgot

setup ntp on both hosts

mount in /dev or /proc like a sane human

Tried installing Manjaro. After starting the install it just got stuck at a black screen and never did anything else.

I've installed Mint before on this machine. Not sure why I'm having so much trouble with it this time around.

If it really doesn't matter, why have two or more separate directories just for mounting?

Weird. Did you boot into non free ISO? Is your secureboot/UEFI enabled?

fuck off, retard

I thought this was the friendly GNU/Linux thread, asshole.

i'm not your asshole, bud

I answered and you replied to the answer with the same question that was answered in the answer you replied to.

Not reading what people send you is the real asshole-ish move here, fag.

I wanted to clarify the question a bit more, little bitch.

You're the little bitch too scared to use Google like a normal person would.

Don't expect help you little nigger, go kill yourself

God I hope you're just baiting me, getting this mad in the Linux version of /sqt/.

I'm not even mad, I'm more upset about not having any weed left for fucks sake

Guess I was pressing the wrong option. I pressed the start non-free drivers option and it worked. Got into the live CD and started installing it, but I got a boot load error or something. It was quite long, would post it here but the internet suddenly stopped working in the live CD as I went to do that.

Anyone got TeamViewer running on Solus?
i keep getting error on the several 32bit libraries

Is it possible to change the opacity of a GTK2 color on gtkrc? Can't find anything related.

Is there a distro that runs more efficiently/faster out-of-the-box than Lubuntu?

Solus

are linus and stallman autistic? not as an insult, but as an actual disorder

No.

>always loathed mpd for its shit multi-artist album grouping
>bear with it and used cantata and ncmpcpp anyway
>10 minutes ago
>discover a 2013 github post saying cantata has album-artist tags for that purpose

i was pretty furious that it isn't mentioned anywhere else

the fuck?

Disabled secure boot to see if it would fix anything. Same error.

Installation Failed

Boost.Python error in job "bootloader"

Command 'grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck --force /dev/sda' returned non-zero exist status 1

Traceback:

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 289 in run prepare_booterloader(fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 277 in prepare_booterloader install_grub(efi_director, fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 248 in install_grub boot_loader["installpath]])

File "", line 2, in

Installation Failed

Boost.Python error in job "bootloader"

Command 'grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck --force /dev/sda' returned non-zero exist status 1

Traceback:

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 289 in run prepare_booterloader(fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 277 in prepare_booterloader install_grub(efi_director, fw_type)

File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/bootloader/main.py", line 248 in install_grub boot_loader["installpath]])

File "", line 2, in

whyyyyyyyyyy does debian keep booting to a black screen
even if i edit the launch command to quiet splash nomodeset it still is black. i've found a lot of other people with this issue but none of their solutions worked on my machine

install several lib32 libraries to solve problem

I've been using Ubuntu for school for about five months now. I'm feeling pretty confident with the command line and I've been playing around using i3 for the past week.

Would installing arch be much trouble? I

use archanywhere and you'll be fine
it isn't worth it though
apt is superior

Installer error. Go full arch
landoflinux.com/linux_install_architect_linux.html

How u install libs, just find the file online and paste to /usr/bin/something ?
why isn't it out of the box? i thought they claimed it is

>am a newfag
>try to install multiple distros with no success
>install ubuntu last
>it just werks

i have failed you

I prefer pacman, and wouldn't architect be a better arch installer than archanywhere?

Tyrone keeps making the thread mean because he has no father.

can all the archfags itt just calm down jesus christ it's neverending with you lot

I have disabled splashscreen and see the kernel messages when my linux boots and sometimes I see something in red (ERROR) but I'm never able to see the actual message.

How do I see only errors from the last boot?

bootlog?

what's the command to see just the errors? I came across dmesg but it's so damn huge.

You can pipe the output to grep to search for a certain string

Okay. I retried few things, rebooted, and my bluetooth is still not working. Here's the message I'm getting.

[ 1879.230791] usb 2-1.8: USB disconnect, device number 71
[ 1879.232548] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM: Reading local name failed (-19)
[ 1879.431196] usb 2-1.8: new full-speed USB device number 72 using ehci-pci
[ 1879.526845] usb 2-1.8: New USB device found, idVendor=0a5c, idProduct=21e8
[ 1879.526849] usb 2-1.8: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 1879.526851] usb 2-1.8: Product: BCM20702A0
[ 1879.526853] usb 2-1.8: Manufacturer: Broadcom Corp
[ 1879.526855] usb 2-1.8: SerialNumber: 5CA17011C7DA
[ 1879.533013] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM: chip id 63
[ 1879.549027] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM20702A
[ 1879.550020] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM20702A1 (001.002.014) build 0000
[ 1879.550049] bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for brcm/BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e8.hcd failed with error -2
[ 1879.550052] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM: Patch brcm/BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e8.hcd not found
[ 1879.616567] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[ 1879.616574] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[ 1879.616580] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11

How do I fix this? Anyone know?

Should I install the default Skype client, or are there any better alternatives? I'd like to use something that allows me to connect with other Skype users.

Can I use youtube-dl to download a whole YT channel? There is a channel that makes some fucking good remixes and I want to download them all at once.
(Dude doesn't provide proper links btw, so no "inb4 downloading music from YT")

The new Skype for Linux client, Ghetto Skype or web.skype.com on your browser are the best options atm. The old Skype client is deprecated.

>Can I use youtube-dl to download a whole YT channel?
yes

>Can I use youtube-dl to download a whole YT channel? There is a channel that makes some fucking good remixes and I want to download them all at once.
>(Dude doesn't provide proper links btw, so no "inb4 downloading music from YT")
link? I'll give it a try.

Don't use quotes.

>The new Skype for Linux client
You mean the official client from their page?

The one written by Pajeets at Microsoft.

Thanks for having a japanese username so now my Sup Forums looks cool :^D

youtube.com/channel/UC14nSzhFxrPVOW4xdh7HOug?app=desktop

This one, mostly Mega Man remixes atm, but they are fucking good.

here u go user...
youtube-dl -f bestaudio\[ext=m4a\] youtube.com/user/funct906/videos

it will download all of them.

Friendly reminder to share your OC papes here:

youtube-dl is such an amazing program. I was fuckign around for ages trying to find how to easily download heaps of music from soundcloud and it turns out youtube-dl does it with the most simple command in the world.

It's a shame soundcloud seems to have done away with different formats and is now sticking to shitty 128kbps encodes. I used to downlad .wav and all sorts from there.

Does it work with Spotify?

lol
has *** ever been this close to a woman?

Thoughts on Linux Mint?

@57765383
it's shite

muh ssl

Get your memes right, the SSL meme is a Manjaro meme.

they should consider renaming the project, it supports way, way more than just youtube, i mean, just look at this
rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html

rude

more linus

Daily reminder that if you want freedom don't follow Linus Torvalds.

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

Trump OS

daily reminder that if your a filthy leftwinger you don't have the right to say the word "freedom"

keep your cancer at

at 57765815
keep your cancer at

I don't follow anyone since I'm not a leftist animal like yourself.

Best all-round distro for raspberry pi? Stick with raspbian or use something like archARM?

ShitRedditSays

Why is this thread full of memers.
Newfags pls go.

because linux itself is a meme

look at and
substitute 57765815 for 57766917

hey Sup Forums, just installed arch linux and I'm happy with it, but I've read that systemd is bad, does anyone know if arch linux is using systemd and if so, how do I remove it???

yeah. just uninstall it by doing pacman -R systemd

It's mostly a chronic freetard debbibabby

thanks, it worked

What's bad about systemd again?
>I read it's bad
Summarise in your words - how it effects you because it doesn't match with some neckbeards' philosophy