Which add-ons/extensions and about:config changes should one make to optimise Firefox for browsing and security/privacy?

Which add-ons/extensions and about:config changes should one make to optimise Firefox for browsing and security/privacy?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/
github.com/crisbrm/user.js
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

so far i have:
>ublock origin
>greasemoneky (for Sup Forums x ccd0)
aaaand thats it

what do

install privacy settings
ublock origin
umatrix
https everywhere
decentraleyes
self destructing cookies

theres probably other autistic addons im forgetting but those are a nice start

Like fire gestures for scrolling vertical tabs

Rights to close-up double right click to close tab

Tree style tabs- vertical tabs

Classic theme restorer
Tab mix plus
U matrix
Find bar tweak
Location bar enhancer
Appchan
Ye another smooth scrolling
extended statusbar
Download manager s3
HTTPS everywhere

got
>uBlock Orig
>https everywhere
>privacy badger*
>self destructing cookies
>no script

*might be redundant but it amusingly allows to browse relatively ad free when no script und ublock need to be switched off to view content

But who knows if they're really for security, privacy. after all the revelations in the last months I wouldn't be too surprised to find out they sold you out to the highest bidder.

Thanks lads

I should have said I'm basically retarded when it comes to stuff like noscript and umatrix

Also, is there anything in the about:config that can be edited for the most optimally private and secure browsing?

Since a lot are mentioning uBlock Origin here what third party filters are every using, other than the defaults?

This one seems useful.

same+volatile storage but i leave privacy settings disabled until i need to change something

I just use the defaults and hide stuff that still comes through with the context menu.

does anyone know how to remove this? I have ublock and umatrix still gets through. logged out of google account and still get it. think it's something with google settings

also https everywhere not working on nightly

Does nobody ever read the fucking wiki

github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/

I have a bunch of filters from filterlists.com

A better solution would be to use searx.me
It's a meta search engine that lets you choose which search engines to use

add a block for *.googleadservices.com and *.doubleclick.net

Uninstall it.

Then try Tor Browser if you're paranoid, or Opera with the free-VPN instead.

>""""""""""""free"""""""""""" VPN
>proprietary

Why would you recommend opera to someone seeking privacy?

It's free as in beer.

>Why would you recommend opera to someone seeking privacy?
Because Opera has a Privacy Policy.

>proprietary
Irrelevant.

>proprietary
>irrelevant

What?! Firefox is open source and people can and have looked at it for anything suspicious. You cant do that with opera. And servers cost money, how do you think opera is able to afford free vpns for all of its users? They are either selling your data or using a system similar to hola which we all know how that turned out.

>Firefox is open source and people can and have looked at it for anything suspicious. You cant do that with opera.
Yes, you can. As the same way people find "suspicious" things with other proprietary software.

>And servers cost money, how do you think opera is able to afford free vpns for all of its users? They are either selling your data or using a system similar to hola which we all know how that turned out.
There are other ways. Free VPN is marketing, ads on the Speed Dial and search using Opera generate enough revenue.

I dont trust opera since it was bought by chinese.
Firefox is used with Tor for a reason. You have more control to lock it down. I would never trust a "free" vpn either.

Is umatrix even worth using if you load up ublock with good lists?

Got pics of the whole setup?

uMatrix lets you fine-tune what you block or allow.

uMatrix got too troublesome for me, and uBlock Origin does its job well enough for me not to miss fiddling around with blocks.

uBlock0
HTTPS Everywhere
Private Tab
Expire history by days
Location Bar Enhancer
Image Zoom
DevEdition theme enabler
Stylish
FT DeepDark
and a bunch of user styles that squares my tabs, shoves them square against the top of the screen, squeezes them and the address bar to less than 50 pixels tall combined, and has a slideout bookmarks bar, plus hidden scrollbar, a global dark style, and other minor things.

Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what umatrix provides that ublock does not? And whether it is worth?

github.com/crisbrm/user.js

uBlock mostly blocks trackers and requests from known ad and malware hosts I think while uMatrix blocks entire elements of a webpage's scripts in a modular fashion (or all or nothing).

>optimise Firefox for browsing and security/privacy
>security/privacy
Afraid that's not really possible. All you're doing is scotch-taping over big holes - it only gives you an illusion of safety..

>Afraid that's not really possible. All you're doing is scotch-taping over big holes - it only gives you an illusion of safety..
That's like saying locking your door at night only gives you an illusion of safety. Leaving your gold in a big vault as well.

Fuck off. Mitigating >>> doing nothing.

I install pretty much any privacy addon that I can just configure and leave to do its work, that isn't redundant given the ones ive already installed.
User agent switcher set to rotate every hour, decentraleyes, HTTPS everywhere, etc.

no Scripts
Smooth Wheel
Zoom Page
Ad Block Plus
Last Pass

Can you please post your styles?

>firefox
>privacy
oh boy do we have some bad news for you

up

Are there any good dictionary extensions? That when I shift+rightclick on the word it defines it for me?

Or translate extensions that if I select word(s), I can right click > translate, and it would detect and replace the foreign language word(s) to English?

I used to have both of these but forgot the dictionary one and the translate was out of development and I don't remember what it was called

>firefox
>security

Tor Browser is a fucking terrible choice if you value privacy. Use something like Tails, at a bare minimum.

umatrix its like an easier to understand noscript