/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/146611-REG/Sennheiser_HD_600_HD_600_Headphone.html
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217423-REG/fiio_k5_docking_headphone_amplifier.html
innerfidelity.com/images/BoseQuietComfort25.pdf
innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is that Sriracha for a spicy beat?

>Get home
>Go to feed dog
>Dog somehow jumped 4 foot in door gate, opened room door and chewed through my back pack
>Head phones put away
>Ieft Audio Technica M 50 X 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm auxiIary cabIe in bag
>Ripped to shreds

Anyone know where the best pIace wouId be for a high quaIity repIacement cabIe around $ 10 that is in the U S ?

Most of them are $ 15 - $ 20 or Iook Iike they wiII not fit the M 50 X 2.5 mm connector.

Any cabIe you personaIIy recommend?

thanks!

I was looking at closed ones because I live in a dorm and there's a lot of noise around.

so... how noticeable is noise with regular Senns 598?

What closed back headphones would you guys recommend that sound good?

Request from last thread. should also note that would prefer removable cable.

Daily reminder to check your headphones for spiders.

Sorta unrelated question.

If I want to get a pair of passive bookshelf speakers to connect to my PC, I know I'll need an amp + dac combo with USB to connect them.

I must be going full retard though, because every amp/dac I find is for headphones only, or has RCA output ports.

Am I looking for the wrong thing here?

What terminology do I need to look for to find an amp/dac that can connect to passive speakers?

Thanks

meme

>2016
>wearing ear fedoras

if you're listening to music on them it's not too bad. my roommates regularly sneak up on me when i have mine on. but they leak sound obviously so people nearby would be able to hear what you're listening to

Except hese fedoras actually bring ears to orgasm.

>2016
>worrying about fashion in the privacy of my home
Do you feel ashamed when you're naked in the shower, too?

i use the dayton b652 / lepai 2020 setup from plebbit and honestly am pretty happy with it. i don't use a dac at all

Only when your mom is in there with me.

Forgive my retardation, but how do you go from your comp to the RCA input on that amp?

Do you use a left/right splitter and your headphone jack?

it has both rca and 1/8" input

So I'd effectively be using my mobo as the DAC then pulling audio out of the headphone jack to feed the amp?

People will hear it a bit if you're in public, but if you're living alone with 598s no one should be able to hear and if it's loud enough you won't hear anything either.

well the audio coming from the onboard headphone jack is an analog/line out signal already, yes, that's what you're amplifying.

Should I buy HD558's for 60 pounds on amazon.co.uk?
Gonna be my first open back headphones if I do.

>if you're listening to music on them it's not too bad. my roommates regularly sneak up on me when i have mine on. but they leak sound obviously so people nearby would be able to hear what you're listening to
I was hoping that I could use headphones as a minimal anti-noise earmuffs when music's not on.

>People will hear it a bit if you're in public, but if you're living alone with 598s no one should be able to hear and if it's loud enough you won't hear anything either.
don't care much about others. care more about noise suppression and sound quality when thye're on.

did i get meme'd?

Then yes, if they're loud you won't hear much unless it's something like yelping or a fire alarm.

Yeah - you're not alone either.

I've posted it before, but these sound noticeably worse than my old 380 pros.

>I was hoping that I could use headphones as a minimal anti-noise earmuffs when music's not on.
if you're not playing music then no, they don't block out sound at all

>click 19 pictures of rivers
>please try again
fuck this gay ass website desu

they sound better than my m40x so it's a win in my book

Found this pair of Pickering PH-4933 headphones at a thrift store for 7 dollars.

Is there anything I can do to make them sound better?

The audio sounds kind of far away.

when nothing is playing it sort of sounds like when you hold a shell up to your ear and hear the ocean.

are these just the beats of the 1970s?

Thank you for your time.
>pic related

Could try to EQ it to your liking, but you get what you pay for.

Bls resbond

See if you could find SHP96500s for sale at that price range in euro land.

>how are k702's clamping force?
Very good: it's tight but it doesn't hurt your brain like HD600/650 does. Also, it doesn't loose over time.

senn hd5x8 cables will work too

(couldn't find a relevant thread)
Audio related question:
Which is the Sup Forums approved Android audio player app?

>(couldn't find a relevant thread)

Then make a thread, you jackass.

yeah, and get 0 replies as usual
fuck it i give up

>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones
would like to know this as well, i'm using shuttle and blackplayer

>buying old shit from the 70's
the only worthwhile headphones from that era are AKG

>AKG
>worth it from any era
KEK

what do you guys think of this combo?

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/146611-REG/Sennheiser_HD_600_HD_600_Headphone.html

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217423-REG/fiio_k5_docking_headphone_amplifier.html

My XPT100s came in the mail today, really digging the sound. Thanks for the rec, /hpg/

Nice post pajeet

fuck off ranjesh stop shilling a dead company

Those are $ 18 and Technica are $ 20. Are there any reguIar 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm auxiIary cabIes that work as good or better for around $ 10? Any pIaces you recommend in the U S that wouId be a good pIace to get them?

I'll find out when mine show up this Friday. Although as muh first open back, I have nothing to compare it too.

That's some hot treble.

SR > XR

What does g think about Sony V55? I'm oscillating between these and Sennheiser HD 205.

>dead
lol, i think i hear a cash injection coming

inject into producing more terrible headphones that even harman wouldn't dare to use in their research? lmao

Fucking rekt

DT 770 coming tomorrow. I hope Sup Forums didn't meme me.

It's surely better than HD598C

You did fine. I opted for 990's instead since I wanted open back and I've been enjoying them all night. Also what said.

>wanting earrape

It's not rape if I want it.

For professional use the SR is better.

It's also great for recreational listening but some would prefer the XR since it has more bass.

post favorite headphones and why
i've given up on trying to read through the lines on "objective" reviews, i just want to hear what you think is good and what you like about them specifically

no

no

no

hd25
best sound signature, sound, and design for a portable

Can you give a small comparison between them? My hd598c should be arriving tomorrow and I was originally planning on getting the m40x. I haven't listened to either of them yet

I enjoy my Sony MDR-7506's and the Etymotic MC5's I have. Etymotics are definitely more neutral and accurate, along with better sound isolation, but the MDR-7506's are a lot more fun with their brighter sound signature, plus it just plain feels different. Overall, I value the Etymotics more, because they're neutral, and therefore easier to give any sound signature I like. I'm planning on upgrading to the Etymotic ER4S whenever I have the cash for it.

>headphones
HD600

>dac
FiiO K5

worth?

>worth?

That's not a question?

Can you guys give me some advice on some ANC headphones?

I'm an American
Looking to spend less than $400
I get that ANC distorts audio - I travel a lot on planes for work otherwise I would look at passive.
I prefer over the ear

I'm saddened that everything I look at is made in China. Such is the world now I guess. I love the Beyerndynamics but they don't have ANC. I'm open to passive isolation, but again, my biggest goal is killing plane noise.

Thanks!

Can confirm that the Tari mod works wonder. The highs have never been spicier

QC25/35. It is the only ANC I recommend and only ever to frequent flyers.
Deep insertion IEMs, such as ER4(S/SR/XR/whatever), work just as well with an infinitely better curve but isn't exactly the greatest in terms of comfort.

what do you think of the setup...

would that go well with either a hd558 or hd600?

A solid state amp is a solid state amp. It works fine as long as the headphone isn't retardedly insensitive, of which the ones you stated aren't.

what are the 3rd albums on the 2nd and 3rd row? thanks

Thanks for the reply user. I can't do the IEMs I guess I have fucked up ears. I was leaning towards the QC25s. So they will definitely block out more noise than Beyerndynamic passive isolation? I don't care about hearing announcements or anything. Less noise possible the better. As you can see from my hesitation, but for flying I definitely wouldn't do ANC. Thanks again.

okay...

do you have any other amp or dac recommendations? what do you think about tube amps?

Soulwax - Nite Versions & milo - So The Flies Don't Come

innerfidelity.com/images/BoseQuietComfort25.pdf
Take a look at the isolation on the top right and compare that to whatever you have (if it has been measured) here: innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements

Basically, yes, it will block out more noise. Just note that ANC isn't magic and is targeted more toward constant low frequencies, like engines, and not voices hence why I only recommend it to flyers.

what cans are these? AKG?

>do you have any other amp or dac recommendations?
The usual is E10K for DAC/amp and O2 or Magni 2 for standalone amp.

>what do you think about tube amps?
Shitty audio meme. (Usually) More expensive, runs hot and uses more power than any decent solid state. Tube sound is usually from high output impedance to headphones with an impedance curve that isn't flat, eg. HD6x0 with 100hz impedance bump.

>tube amps?
You wanna buy a tube amp wtf? I hope you get hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Bob marley positive vibes.

Yes.

K701, the ultimate weeb memephones.

Those are T5p not T1.

>Ichiko
>most expensive of the bunch
Pottery

no

yes

Riina has some shit taste.

As expected of a poser.

> check audio stuff on Amazon.it out of curiosity
> Sennheiser HD598 SE: € 109
> Sennheiser HD558: € 150
> Sennheiser HD598: € 163
> Sennheiser HD598C: €220
> mfw

bump, i'm also interested

requesting thoughts on k612 to someone who's heard them.

i'm really looking for any reason not the buy an hd6x0.

Haven't been meme'd. They're the an amazing closed set of cans if you like low end and can deal with the highs, not that they're even as bad as some of other beyers.

598's for beautiful warm width
600's for balanced clarity and detail
770/COP's for moist closed bass when paired with velours
HM5's for comfy ass neutral closed
7506's for field monitoring
HE-400s + ZMF cowhide for fucking GODLY PLANAR JUICE MACHINES CUMFEST FUCK

yes

Only ANC worth buying is Bose QC series
Anything else is a joke for some reason

Where the fuck can you download Soulwax's shit? Fucken great tunes
I've never been able to find anything other than youtube videos or GTA radio station aids

Just had a young family move in next door which will mean I'll not be able to use my hi-fi system as much and need to re-evaluate my headphone situation.

I've had a set of LCD-2s for around 5 years and love the way they sound, the fact that they feel awful was never that big a problem since it was only very late or early on a weekend I'd need to use them. Is there anything that sounds reasonably similar but doesn't feel like the empire state on my head? Willing to pay up to about 1k, UK based if that makes a difference.

Why don't you want HD 600/650's?

Get a bungee rope and suspend them above your seat. B^))))

Your ears will adjust to any headphone you buy.

You need to buy two high end headphones and use them 50% on 50% off to really be able to review a third headphone.

Burn-in doesn't exist, what happens is adaption of your ears to the profile of the headphone.

The only thing that matters is total-harmonic-distortion and this is something that is rarely mentioned by audiophiles because they are peasants.

If you're serious about listening accuracy, get a high end DAC + Amp with a THD of less than 0.05%, then get the HD600 as a starter headphone which has the same quoted THD. This should give you 0.1% which is quite excellent.

Some people like 2nd harmonic distortion which is why they buy those silly tube amps. Not accurate for listening but reportedly pleasing. You can emulate this in software.

HD598 Cs are closed back

Phonograph