I just started getting into coding and now I'm confused on where | and should be

I just started getting into coding and now I'm confused on where | and \ should be.

Is there a "correct" layout for keyboards?

Other urls found in this thread:

ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/blog/2015/09/09/ansi-or-iso-which-keyboard-layout-is-more-ergonomic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The bottom.

The correct one is the one on the bottom.
People regularly choose US-ASCII layout because it's the most comfortable layout for programming, even if they don't speak english.

Thanks, my school uses the bottom layout, so that's cool.

>Is there a "correct" layout for keyboards?
bottom one is what I use.

>It's the correct one because that's what I use

the only acceptable layout

Anything other than bottom is shit

It's called ANSI actually. The European layouts are called ISO. They usually have an additional key (at the expense of a part of the left shift key) to accommodate two more characters, and an enlarged return key.

As others suggested, the ISO layouts are generally messy and should be avoided if only possible. The ANSI layout is the comfiest especially for touch typists (as the left shift and return are reached easily as opposed the ISO layouts), is the most aesthetically pleasing and logical, and houses precisely all the ASCII graphic characters.

>it's the correct one because it's what the grand majority of the english speaking world uses

Fuck off.

What's the point of taking Ctrl off the corners if there's nothing to take its place??

Horrible, awful design.

Not a fan of removed function row either

>home/end/pgup/pgdown gone
>ARROW KEYS GONE
Top kek

the upper one is correct
rest are non standards

My life was very sad when all I had was a Russian keyboard to type with.

The top one with small left shift is the correct layout, fucking amerifags and their shitty layout.

there is no correct or incorrect one. Take te most you like

U wut m8

>relegated to alt keys
Gross

i have none of these, instead my shift bar is smaller and its put next to it

The control key used to be where caps lock now is, it was changed by IBM in the late 80s. There are some who still prefer the ancient layout with a single control key to the left of A.

I mean it is objectively better than Caps Lock

But I feel like it's not a good use of space without anything to fill the corners

Top type is the most common one and what I use. Our university has a few (very few) of the bottom type, and I miss return on those so often it gets annoying.

Anyway, "correct" is what works for you.

You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. The bottom one is the ANSI (American) standard layout, it's where the IBM PC was designed originally. The "big enter" and "bigass enter" above are variations.

>I mean it is objectively better than Caps Lock
That's subjective. I press the control keys with the side of my palm so they are comfortable to me where they are. I'm no caps lock hater either, I don't have a tendency to hit it unintendedly.

How the hell do you miss the return key on the ANSI keyboard? It's easier to reach.

Obviously you're not a touch typist. The big/bigass return key suits hunters-peckers, but the standard ANSI return key is much easier reachable from the home row. Also you might be wrong with your assumption that the top one is the most commonly used.

ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/blog/2015/09/09/ansi-or-iso-which-keyboard-layout-is-more-ergonomic

I prefer the top one, which makes it hard for me to find mech keyboards.

Used ISO all my life, I hated all ANSI layouts whenever I tried it.

Pic related, my current workplace keyboard

That one on the top is ISO. It's the international standard. ANSI enter is just a special snowflake for retards.

You guys buy $100+ keyboards but can you even hit 140 wpm?

You are honestly the biggest pleb ever

what the fuck dude

dust.

clean it

i can easily do 100-120 when i'm in the mood but it's not the keyboard's fault

Better to be a pleb than a hipster faggot who feels the urge to "simplify" things that don't need it

It's not simplifying it's just a better layout

How is relegating commonly used keys to Alt status better?

The top iso one is correct. But where is your æ o å buttons

Because they're in a better position. Now I don't have to reach across the keyboard to hit pg down all I need to do is fn + >.

It's commonly used everywhere except America. 6 billion people use iso

and 6 billion people use keyboards incorrectly

I want to see an RTS player use this keyboard. What a fucking mess.

typical amerifat response

it's not made for rts players though

Wrong again. It's the yurocucks who created their special snowflake layouts with mostly downright cringeworthy mapping of special characters. The ANSI layout is the most simple and logical, most efficient and comfortable for touch typists, and the 94 graphic characters featured on it are precisely the 94 ASCII graphic characters, nothing less and nothing more. Not to mention, the IBM PC was created in the US, thus the ISO layouts used in Europe are obviously derivative.

Most people are sausage finger hunters-peckers (that's why they desperately depend so much on the big or even bigass return key), does that mean that touch typists are wrong too?

it would be good if:

escape would be on capsslock's control,
on place of escape tilde,
alt, control swapped,
delete after +=,
{
vertical return,
|\ after "'
}
or
{
horizontal return,
|\ above return
}

nice justification faggots
kys

Dude... the first commercial computer was made in germany. Keyboardlayouts aren't based on IBM PC's they are based on Typewriters. First typewriters were italian or german. ISO is the international standard, while ANSI is a national standard. To say ISO is only for europeans proves your lack of knowledge. The world isn't only USA and Europe - Europe isn't a country and the USA isn't a continent. Do yourself a favour and finish school.

The upper one (ISO) is better for Europeans because we typically have more characters than English, like in Swedish/Norwegian/Danish we have 3 extra characters, the ANSI layout does not accommodate for that very well.

I am a touch typist that prefers ISO, it's just what I grew up with being a European and all.

Why not just map them to AltGr?

Fucking hungarian layout, I hate it so much.

They are so common that it is just easier to have dedicated keys for them I suppose? I mean it does stem from typewriters that needed to have dedicated keys for the extra characters so it just became tradition.

Top.

Min neger

Or you could've used autohotkey and spared yourself 200 bucks for a meme keyboard.

Nah. Because the un used space at the bottom row is the best

But that doesn't make it automatically correct. It just makes it what the English speaking world is used to. As a European I would never touch an American keyboard, because I'm not used to it.

You sound like a pretty dumb person

You sound like a pleb

>The ANSI layout is the most simple and logical, most efficient and comfortable for touch typists
This is such a retarded statement. Touch typing is just muscle memory, there's not one design that's better than any other for touch typing. Your muscles will learn whatever design you're using. Now for WPM one design could be superior to another, but considering I blow most of Sup Forums out of the water in typing speed (most, you special snow flake, not all) on my ISO keyboard I'd say the difference in WPM potential between an ANSI and an ISO keyboard is negligible.

this desu fampai

>Europe isn't a country
>"countries such as Europe" - t. Obama

Poland had their special letters on dedicated keys on typewriters, but the keyboard layout based on that was essentially ditched back in the late 90s. The new layout is based strictly on the US layout with Polish special letters entered with AltGr, albeit most keyboards sold in Poland have the physical ISO layout. However, due to the basic layout being in accordance with the US one, you can use an ANSI keyboard without problem.

ITT: a bunch of sensible people pointing out ANSI as the clearly superior design, and a horde of ISO cucks vehemently defending their clusterfuck layouts

>bigass enter for easier sausage finger hunting & pecking
>small fucking backspace
>small left shift with an added useless second backslash key that no sane person uses
>beyond retarded mappings of ASCII special symbols, along with including some obscure non-ASCII symbols that nobody should ever need to access directly on a regular basis
Not even fucking once.

>my special snowflake layout matches my special snowflake character set. So everything else is shit.
sounds like you are a average educated citizen of the US of A. Or by ISO standard: an Idiot.

bottom is correct

>special snowflake
hello /r/eddit

/thread

i am an european and i prefer the us layout even though i hate amerifats

Nice proof of my point.
According to ISO standard, you are as an Idiot. So it's logically for you to see this
>hello /r/eddit
as an argument.

The peeps saying "bottom" never touched a keyboard in real life.

The only accepted layout is the middle one.

There's no excuse for that tiny backspace key