Is Android app development a solid career choice?

Is Android app development a solid career choice?

Plz no bully

plenty of demand for mobile devs. I had not a lick of experience in mobile dev and was hired very quickly for an intern position.

Background?

All I have right now is intermediate level expertise in Python. My only experience is in scientific computing.

Going to try to build an app from scratch and make a portfolio.

Am I retarded?

iOS dev here, I can say demand is enormously high for mobile right now. I don't know how long that'll stick around, but if you can get in and get a good resume now then you'll probably set for the lifetime of Android as long as you keep up-to-date with the technologies and APIs.

It's also pretty fucking easy to get a job, especially an entry level job, in mobile.

>be me, 21 year old college dropout
>make 5 iOS apps over the course of 3 months
>publish them to App Store
>start applying wildly to jobs
>get interviews out the ass
>finally settle on one place
>go to interview
>interviewer is impressed with the fact that they're on the App Store for some reason more than any other fact
>get job

Thanks for responding

Any meaningful differences between iOS and Android?

Yes, looking at the hirings near my place

i tried but android studio is an ass to work with

They're completely different in almost every way.

Programming for Android is done in Java mainly and you can do tons of shit and have more freedom. You also can put pretty much anything on the Play Store and don't have to follow many guidelines as there is no review process.

iOS is done in either Objective-C or Swift and is far more locked down in terms of hardware access and other stuff. You also have to follow the rules (such to prevent shitty, low effort, malware/spying apps from getting on the App Store) and every submission is reviewed to follow those guidelines.

I prefer iOS because honestly I far enjoy the way it handles everything internally. UIKit is a breeze to work with and creating good, responsive UIs in pure code is made very easy. I hate how Android handles it, personally.

I would never advise trying to learn both. Pick one and learn it, don't try to cross-over because they are two separate, defined things. Any company that asks for a single person to be both iOS and Android is a joke.

Yeah the greater freedom of Android appeals to me more.

Also being able to get apps in the play store easily is a major plus. I've heard of apps being removed from the Apple store without warning for no reason. I'd rather work with a more deregulated platform.

Would you say that there is greater competition in Android development because a lot of people already know Java and thus can move into the space more easily?

Fuck off!
Android development is for us smart Indians!

I'd probably say there is greater competition in Android, yeah, but not because there are more Java devs. You can develop Android apps on any computer, but iOS requires a Mac. You can also get a $15 Android phone for development when the cheapest iOS option is the iPod Touch @ $200.

2bh I figured I'd just pay some nigger on Craigslist for an iPhone acquired under questionable circumstances

Can you do iOS development in Linux?

Hello rajam pakreet my friend

Fuck I wish. You can only do it in MacOS. A virtual machine and a VMWare image torrent would benefit you here if you don't have a Mac.

And getting a used iPhone 5 is actually pretty damn cheap ($75-100). The 5 still runs the latest iOS so it's good for development.

Yes, write free apps for replicant.

Good to know. I will focus on Android for now.

Installing Android Studio right now

Do actual Android devs use Android Studio? That package is a pile of ASs. Intellij is probably a bit faster but I was thinking of going with just a text editor and the SDK and running shit from the command line.

Isn't Android Studio based on intellij?

>Plz no bully

hang yourself, dumb feelposter

It's really easy to get a job as an Android dev.
Question is: do you want to be one?

Mobile apps are on the way out, SPA with Javascript meme frameworks are the future.
Still plenty of jobs right now but it's only a matter of time until you won't need a separate mobile app for 90% of stuff

With all the Pajeets who will do the job for half the price?

No.

You can make android (And iphone apps) with Python by using Kivy. By the way