What would linux have to change for it to get majority market share again?

What would linux have to change for it to get majority market share again?

become windows?

Realize that to normies, computers are about colorful buttons on a screen?

They don't even realize the difference between texts, emails, WeChat, Whatsapp, Viber, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat and Instagram. It's just an icon to send stuff, and it just works, and they don't care how.

>again

It never had it and it never will.

>again

We need the community to move away from "beginner friendly" distros, they ususally are really unstable and don't function properly

But don't take advice from me because accordingly to OP's image I don't know shit about PCs

>that pic
I have my pc like in the third option but on the floor, what am I

Poor?

Why would you put your pc on the desk? It takes up desk space. I can't fit my 3 30 inch monitors if I had my case on my desk. Does this picture only apply to poor losers with small monitors?

gotta show off those gaming LEDs

I don't see what's wrong with putting your bigass tower PC on the floor. It's just wasting space if it's on the desk.

make GUIs that help users avoid commandlines
realize that normalfag users willing to use a commandline doesn't happen since DOS days / win95

Natively support windows drivers & software.

well most programs people need are written for windows. businesses don't have real and non idealistic reasons to fund open source programs. basically linux isn't as productive as windows. when snobs on here argue they're using what linux could one day be as a premise instead of what it really is. its shit and the free software philosophy is pretty fucking stupid and won't work in a capitalist society ever. commies can suck it.

linux does drivers better than windows 99% of the time
>install ubuntu in 2008
>wifi works out of the box
>notification about "additional drivers" to install video driver
>install windows in 2008
>you are fucked if you dont have a CD with the drivers

>working wifi/graphics/whatever drivers
>never need to use a terminal or edit text configs
>better support for games and other proprietary software

monitor on desk of course

so you don't know shit about pcs

"Listen the heart of your PC beat" -Razer(tm)

I've honestly only had good luck with drivers on either OS when I installed them on business notebooks. Whenever I try either one on consumer grade models, everything tame and civilized goes out the window.

actual proper support for productive and creative software
so many in those two areas want a replacement to shitty apple

having computers come with linux by default.

First you need the support of some big players.
Then choose a device class that isn't connected to Microsoft, use a unified packet manager and put a simplified GUI on top. If it's well known and established, expand to other device classes.
Oh look, it's Android.

Does it count as "I am not of this world, human" if my Pentium J2900 mini-pc is so small that it mounts onto the back via the VESA mounts?

trim down on the alternatives and invest in quality over quantity. Some alternatives is fine, but having excessively many of everything of which none are great because of divided userbases and limited development is just dumb, much better have a few fewer alternatives and more focused development and userbases. Why do there need to be 5 or more init systems, 20 different DEs that do the same fucking thing, etc?

stop being so goddamn buggy like some piece of shit programmed by drunk russians in a matter of days. Just did a fresh install with arch-anywhere on a laptop and in a vm to confirm: systemd's left-column layout is borked for some stupid-ass reason. That's just one of many, many stupid things that can go wrong in linux. Another favorite was having to edit unreadable config files and mess with tons of shit i dont even want to know about despite my interest in linux, just to make it so that i could tap the touchpad to click, instead of having to click the pad. Others include getting a fucking video driver to work (none of that shit just werks like in windows, and why the goddamn fuck do i need to be fiddling with kernel modules and shit like that? goddamn) and not hanging on shutdown with bullshit error messages like "couldn't end slice c2 of user" or "watchdog did not stop" or "failed to set lnkctl speed"

more gui frontends for common config files. I dont want to fuck around with config files and cmdline bullshit to change basic settings like how the touchpad works. Aint nobody got time fo dat. Config files are fine for exotic shit or stuff like your http server, but not for central settings. Guis instantly expose every possible setting, every possible value for each setting, and every valid or invalid combination of them, side-effects, etc. Config files and cmdline requires reading pages and pages of shit just to get an idea, and then you have to puzzle for ages to get the right combination of everything. Not fucking productive.

you know OP is a faggot because he thinks it's bad to not just have a pc but also have the advantage to move it around easily without having all that much less power for 99% of purposes

Top left here, can NOT confirm

Give up on the multi user meme and instead support a single user OS that's worth using.

is multiple users support causing any problems? All it is is an abstraction on the login screen and a variable in the file path of some config files...

or do you mean the effects on the filesystem, all that bullshit you constantly get with file ownership and permissions?

be backed by the level of money that went into getting windows were it is today

Being able to fucking dial PPPoE/SSTP/L2TP/PPTP without downloading + compiling + manual patching + hours reading fucking forums.

The second, obviously. Permission elevation is the probably the biggest security risk in modern home PCs.

Just stupid.

What if my PC is on a wood plank with two slim wood planks attached on the front bottom and back bottom?

>not being true master race

I used to have my Midtower behind my monitor, works out nicely.

>no matter what is wrong with the PC normies say it is a 'virus'

My tower literally sits on a skateboard.

The tower belongs on the left side of the monitor

pc go on floor you fucking idiots

I dont pull so much pussy

A good portion of it is people not knowing how to package stuff. It is quite easy, you have 3 options:

1. dynamically linked, distro-specific package (more work - you need to keep track of changes in all target distro versions, easiest to install)
2. statically linked, install to /opt (if you can't do 1 and want to install system-wide)
3. statically linked, install to /home (if you can't do 1 and and want to install for a single user)

instead, you'll get 80% just-build-yourself aka "configure/make/make install" and 20% dynamically linked "install to /bin an/or /usr", often overwriting package manager controlled files. Also breaks on any version change of any involved lib, so better never update your system.

become usable.

instead of having dozens of shitty DEs, have one good one.

but that's a pipe dream because bazaar doesn't reward people who fix bugs and only rewards people who fork a DE, rename it, slap a new skin on it and do some marketing.

unfortunately, Linux is doomed to always stay shitty.

and before you accuse me of being a troll, I use Linux.

what are you, poor?

My monitor is on the floor and tower is on top of the desk.

Get on my level, Reddit-niggers :^)

Get a bigger desk, faggot. I keep it on my desk so it doesn't get dirty or damaged.

you strike me as the aspie type that would correct them. shit, nigga. just charge them the $40 to fix their 'virus' and move on.

>What would linux have to change for it to get majority market share

>that keyboard
nice try faggot

My boss would switch the whole company if Adobe suite worked as well in Linux as it did in Windows.

What about this?

Did your TVs melt in a fire?

No it's just that the monitors are tilted towards you at a 135 degree angle.

I got lazy and decided not to do the monitors right.