Anyone have an ETA on the long awaited circle tool for this bad boy...

Anyone have an ETA on the long awaited circle tool for this bad boy? I've been meaning to switch the office over to GNU/Linux, however drawing simple shapes is central to our continues success (web comics).

Other urls found in this thread:

alvinalexander.com/gimp/gimp-how-to-create-draw-circle-in-gimp-tutorial
github.com/sk1project/sk1-wx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

use kolourpaint

how hard would it be to reverse engineer photoshop and make an exact clone of the gui+features like tools and filters? how long would that take? I'm not too familiar but couldn't someone just put in a year of work and bust out an open source clone?

If they can implement a more friendly way to draw smooth shapes a la Paint Tool SAI, I would drop it completely for GIMP.

alvinalexander.com/gimp/gimp-how-to-create-draw-circle-in-gimp-tutorial

Select shape + stroke you fucking moron

>using GNU Image Manipulation Program for drawing
>MANIPULATION
>DRAWING

Use Krita you nignog

How come it uses some python-based ui framework that completely shits itself on Windows? Why not have an efficient ui?

It's Qt, which is shit but somehow people think it's good. It's like the old java apps.

What's good to use then? Gtk?

Yes, but then everyone would switch to gimp and therefore linux and we don't want that

honestly GIMP is my favorite FOSS software
im so glad they taught me open source software in school rather than the commercial alternatives
for simple shit, mspaint in Win7 and above is great too

no it would be open source and multi platform.

does photoshop really have that many features? why hasn't someone done this yet? there's ReactOS and wine trying to perfectly emulate windows yet there's nothing even close to a copy of photoshop. i find it hard to believe i couldn't get most of it done if i spent an entire year on it

qBittorrent and old versions of Skype used Qt and they work fine. It could be a Krita specific issue or it could just be a problem on your end. Blaming Qt would be ridiculous.

There's no good cross-platform graphical toolkit, Qt is probably the best but only because the others are absolutely horrendous. You should just write "native" apps, GTK for Linux and the WinAPI for Windows but since developers don't want to maintain multiple versions of their software, we get all these Qt applications. Could be worse, could be Java.

How does drawing a circle not fall under the umbrella of image manipulation? What if I wanted to manipulate a photo with the addition of a circle?

LAZARUS
A
Z
A
R
U
S

Do you know anything about reverse engineering? Do you know how large Photoshop is?

You could either:
a) install plug-in that will let you draw shapes
b) import a circle from a different image (preferably as a vector graphic)
c) combine the tools that are already in a stock installation of GIMP, which requires logical thinking that you might be incapable of if you're using GIMP to add a fucking circle to an image

>Do you know how large Photoshop is?
no that's why I'm asking

it doesn't have to be exactly perfect, just enough to get the same behavior as the tools and interface.

is photoshop itself really that massive? i know the whole suite is

>or it could just be a problem on your end. Blaming Qt would be ridiculous

An alternative to Adobe Photoshop that lags more is not "a problem on your end".

It would take at least 5 years. Photoshop was and still is actively evolving. Even if you take something open source and try to turn it into Photoshop you'd need a lot of time to do that. Not to mention adobe is a large company, a small team doesn't stand a chance in reverse engineering something that large. Look at your own example, reactOS isn't even at Windows XP level yet and they've been developing it for years. Sure it's an entire OS, but the assumption is a very small team would be active on your Photoshop clone, especially since most free software isn't properly funded and nobody likes doing shit for free, but even if they do it's probably just a hobby and they're likely to not give it their best or even stick to the project. It would take a lot less time and effort to just port Photoshop to Linux.

And 5 years is very optimistic.

You know you can just use the letter "o" as a circle right?

Stretch it out as you want to make a mspaint-tier oval too

No plugins, no drama

Literally the babby circle you guys bitch so much about

True, but that's for all the features. You could probably get most filters and tools done to the point where 90% of users wouldn't notice the difference

I wish krita wasn't buggy as shit

Implying that is a perfect circle
Implying that stretching it wouldn't distort the border
Implying implications

Has anyone tried this vector editor?
github.com/sk1project/sk1-wx

yeah looking at the thumbnail it looks much less like a perfect circle

since then I've been experimenting with fonts

this one looks bretty gud desu, and the stretching isn't that bad

And Alex had a lot of insider info before working on reactos, he's done a ton of work for ms before and knows winapi insanely well
Plus he's a very good reverse engineer

p.s. basically any Geometric font will work

Follow me down to the valley below.