What is your opinion on fedora linux?

what is your opinion on fedora linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/optipng
github.com/Nebukazar/OneeChan
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It makes me euphoric.

I had driver issues when I tried it, also I find apt easier to use. The name is pretty autistic as well

Their release cycle sucks and their repos are pure autism. Rumor has it that they have Wayland working in Fedora 25, though.

is it good enough for a newb to learn on?

>Literal pc fedora

I actually installed it just for Wayland. Works like a charm!

You're lucky. On my oldish computer it's slow as fuck for certain tasks compared to Xorg.
For example Chromium rendering Google Earth is ok with Xorg but unusable with Wayland.

free beta testing for redhat

Well I did notice some impact on performance but I think that is mostly because I used MATE before.

It's great, but the whole cutting edge stuff really got on my nerves.
Generally, it's stable enough for most uses, but having it only supported for 6 months is just annoying. I cant be arsed to have everything changed every few months.
Now I'm on CentOS, and so far I really like it.
I can keep my current install until 2024, fuck yes!!!

These.

It's also slower and less responsive.

Fiddled with it a lot, but never installed it because I like to play muh steam games and fuck their freetarded aversion to proprietary software

>working
doesnt work with my nvidia drivers (1070)

> it's stable enough for most uses
Oh hell no. Everything on fedora is broken.

It's the best distro.

Pretty autistic name

Nothing is broken for me.

Take a good look. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/optipng

Same here. Exactly the same, actually.
It's got to be the best distro I have used. But to rely on an extra repository to even so much as use Broadcom WiFi is pretty bad. Still tempted to try it again, though. But Ubuntu 16.04 is working well enough. And well enough is all I need. Not great security, style, or whatever.

The good
>packaging guidelines (specfiles are goat shit)
>buildsystem
>infrastructure for forementioned buildsystem (fedorapeople, copr, etc)
>decently secured ootb

I also get the appeal of Fedora being the early adopter of new linux technology, first to use systemd, first to come with Wayland.

The bad
>being redhat subsidiary the US patent/export laws fuck it hard
having to recompile every media related software because it cannot ship with mp3 support is a serious pain in the arse
>tiny repositories

I didn't like the release cycle they rarely can keep up with, but that's the matter of your taste.

Also definitely a distro for a modern computer.
Fedora (even the more lightweight spins like XFCE) is definitely on par in the "bloat" department with distros like *buntu.

7/10 distro, after all i've used it for almost 2 years

forgot to mention that dnf is in every way superior to apt except speed.

unlike apt, dnf doesn't suffer from the dependency fuckup where invoking a remove package command proposes you to remove half of your OS.

why haven't you installed another DE yet?
judging from your resolution you're probably on some thinkpad, possibly with only 4GB ram
don't you want something that doesn't waste as much screen real estate and memory?

Shit package manager, shit fonts, shit DE...Red hat beta tester.

it's linux but for grown ups

Gnome is fine on memory.

objectively wrong

>having to recompile every media related software because it cannot ship with mp3 support is a serious pain in the arse

You don't, just enable RPM fusion.

You mean NSA/Fedora? Cancerous lennartware

Keeps me tipping

You should install Solus.

Did you forget to mention the EMPTY Repos that Solus has, Kevin.

Except it's not empty.

>objectively wrong

Stay cucked, red hat shill

is that kevin?

Buggy and has a shitty package manager.

I like how you typed "empty" in all caps as if emphasising it, despite it being a flat out lie.

fedora 25 got mp3 support... yes in 2016, also the chromium they ship is unusable since they disable h264 at compile time

No

Lmao I saw the original of that

they're a bit anemic, but packaging for solus is easy as.

>having it only supported for 6 months is just annoying.
Fedora releases are supported for roughly 13 months.

This?

>half the replies are "le hat meme xD"
This place is so cringy sometimes.

It's the best distro in m opinion.

I avoided it for so long because I couldn't get over the name. Once I grew up and used it, it became my go to distro.

FYI it is illegal to do free beta testing for a for-profit company

>is it good enough for a newb to learn on?
Yes, it's excellent to learn on because you'll be fixing broken things a lot and this will give you a baptism of fire in trouble-shooting Linux.

Seriously, I like Fedora and it's very responsive in releasing drivers for new PC peripherals but their update cycle is aggressive and support life is low which means you need to reinstall the OS every, what nine months?

I used it for a few years but I don't like reinstalling and so I was constantly dropping off the end of support and having to reinstall just to get patches for shit that was broken.

There's pros and cons to being on the cutting edge.

It's quite good for new laptops because it's basically the most aggressive in adopting new drivers.

Are you disabled?

How did you know I used speech to text?

Because your comment betrayed severe brain damage.

Fair enough

I have been using it since Fedora Core 4
I like it, I use gentoo for all my other computers
but for my Work/School Laptop I use fedora

Nice CSS, user.

Thanks

fuck you faggot, you aren't me.

It is a included theme in OneeChan
github.com/Nebukazar/OneeChan

The boot times are really long for some reason, even on an SSD