I installed a new GPU today (pic related). Everything works fine, except games...

I installed a new GPU today (pic related). Everything works fine, except games. When I adjust video settings while ingame, my pc reboots and Asus anti-surge message pops up. My PSU has 650W (should be enough?) and has worked perfectly. Nothing like this happened before I put in my new card. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers, no effect. Please help.

Other urls found in this thread:

msi.com/page/afterburner
outletpc.com/lv9196-pny-technologies-vcggtx10606pb-geforce-gtx1060-6g.html
outletpc.com/np4884-asus-turbogtx10606g-geforce-gtx1060-6gb-turbo.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZPWZ9W
techpowerup.com/reviews/SuperFlower/SF-650P14PE/
forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=395609
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

have you tried reinstalling the drivers for it? sometimes those cards get a little funky the first time the drivers get installed

Yes. It's still happening.

Reduce the power limit and downlock+undervolt the gpu via radeon settings. See what happens.

Can you give me more precise instructions? I'm not really a tech person and this whole thing is making me highly uncomfortable.

Have you connected the 8/6 Pin connectors to the card? Pls check if ur mobo has the right PCI-e slot too.

You can also try to disconnect some hard drives and run the bluescreen logger.

Didn't those cards pull more current than they were supposed to from the pci-e rail?

Should've bought a 1060, silly OP.

Try rebooting your machine, unplug it for 30 seconds (count to 30 seconds), and then power it back on. That should fix any hardware graphics issues most times

>Have you connected the 8/6 Pin connectors to the card? Pls check if ur mobo has the right PCI-e slot too.
Yes. Everything *should* be fine under the hood.

Open Amd Settings and set the values to something similar, then apply the settings (top right corner).

Your card may have different values than mine by default, but as long as you *reduce* the clock and voltage values the changes pose no risk; worst case scenario you have to reinstall drivers.

That card also has a bios switch so instead of changing the amd settings you can shut down your pc, flick the switch, and reboot.

Also my power limit keeps resetting itself to 0%.

Dynamic frequency doesn't allow you to set precise clockspeeds. None of them really matter except the couple highest anyway.

The power limit resetting is weird. You can try using msi afterburner msi.com/page/afterburner instead.

If it still keeps resetting just try the bios switch instead.

Yes I realized how stupid question that was. I noticed that I had to switch the temp setting to manual so my power limit setting wouldn't reset.

Silly bait.

BUT, in case someone here doesn't know yet, it happened in the first rev of the REFERENCE card, and AMD already did a shitty workaround. CUSTOM cards never had this problem at all.

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES

>new card
>have to figure out voltage limits for it in order to work properly
AYYMD strikes again.

Just return that pile of shit and get a 1060, OP.

Okay, so far so good. I tested with Hitman and this time it didn't crash when I put everything to ultra. Before it rebooted within seconds of changing the settings. Seems to be working so far. Thanks.

You used DDU right?

damn thats a pretty ui

Can I ask a quick question guys?
I ordered this card
outletpc.com/lv9196-pny-technologies-vcggtx10606pb-geforce-gtx1060-6g.html
only to get an email that theyre out of stock and they offered me this one for the same price as a replacement.
outletpc.com/np4884-asus-turbogtx10606g-geforce-gtx1060-6gb-turbo.html
Will it negatively affect my build in any way?
Is my PSU still good enough?
Here's my full build.
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZPWZ9W
Please help I am so butt mad theyre out of stock.

Yes.

>Will it negatively affect my build in any way?
Maybe, if the card turns out to be faulty you're in a world of pain because asus.
I'd go MSI, desu.

>Is my PSU still good enough?
Yes, it is.

That's what I was thinking.
Can you think of an MSI one that's similar to the one I had originally wanted? Maybe I can request it as a replacement instead.

Don't buy that Asus card. I've only now opened the link and it's a blower design. That's less than optimal for a non-sli setup.

Get pic related. Or even the Gaming edition one, if you like the cooler shroud more.

Thank you friend! I haven't built a computer in like 5 years so I'm shit.
Bless you.

what the fuck is that ui that looks pretty as hell user

This just screams bad PSU.

>A M D

>Asus anti-surge message pops up

What the hell is that?

Asus Anti-Surge is a broken mess that does not work right. Disable it.

AMD Wattman, it`s their new overclocking utility. It runs like dog shit, and the graph actually causes system stalls every time it updates. (Or at least it used to) Only reason I open it is to adjust power limit because for some reason afterburner doesn`t have it available for me. Also doesn`t allow for an actual custom fan curve, though the fan and temperature target settings worked phenomenally with my MSI 470. Didn`t even bother with it on the 480 GTR black edition I have. Oh, and unless they fixed it in an update, it doesn`t do shit with voltage over 1150mV. Won`t allow you to set it higher than 1175, but the card won`t use more than 1150 even if you do. So if you want to push your card to the 1400+ core clock, you won`t be using wattman.

thank you user i appreciate the information

Your motherboard is faulty

Asus mobo is known to work even some components die

Use sapphire trixx instead of afterburner

I was for a while, but its just so fucking ugly. Also the resource monitor decided to sit halfway outside my screen and I couldn`t move it. A simply reinstall probably could have fixed it, but I was tired of looking at it.

Why anyone would buy any AMD GPU in 2016 is beyond me, with the 1050 up to the Titan X Pascal being around, why on earth would you willingly choose a buggy electrical catastrophe AMD card?

This. I had to disable it on my Maximus VIII Hero Alpha to get any overclocking done at all. It's a worthless feature.

I know multiple people with an RX 480 who have had absolutely no problem, myself included. Whereas both of my friends have NVidia cards and have the EVGA turd of a card. It has nothing to do with chip maker and everything to do with the aftermarket.

OP you have a great card.

Think the power draw on this card is 350W max (I usually pull about 100 during games)

If you haven't already, try re-seating the card (remove it entirely and re-insert it) and maybe that will help. Also re-seat the 8 pin power.

And, not being an ASUS board person, it sounds like knows what they are talking about, I'd do that as well.

If disabling the surge feature doesn't fix it (really actually sounds like that's what it might be, thinking about it) then I would try a different motherboard.

It's probably anti-surge. I've watched this card during gameplay and it loves to jump all over the place for power consumption, not unreasonable that it would possibly trigger something like that.

OP here, the downclocking seems to have fixed it. My other parts are ~3 years old so maybe they don't like the new technology at full power (I upgraded my GPU out of necessity since my old card died today). Thanks for help everyone.

Do you want to keep running at lower clock? You paid for the full speed. I'd try disabling anti-surge.

Also what kind of PSU do you have? Like model/brand? It might say 650 but who actually knows what it really is..

Reinstall windows

It's a Super Flower SF-650P-14P. I'm happy with the performance for now. When I upgrade the rest of my rig in the future, I'll tinker with the card again. I mean I don't really need the 8 BG it has either right now.

Did you try the other PCI-e cables on it?

Only one had 6+2 pins. I think. The card gives me avg 60 fps in Hitman at 1080p (max settings). That's all I need :)

winkey + arrowkey

What PSU do you have? Quality matters as much as rating

[ CONFIRMED ]
Nvidia for retards

how old is your power supply? also what else do you have setup in the computer? what's the mobo/cpu and everything else?

Oh shit, I never once considered that. Now if only it wasn`t so fucking ugly.

you got jewed into a bad card that you need to fucking return

You got a dud. RMA it and get a new one.

I have this same card and it has never done that.

What motherboard is it? I think the card is on the edge of the PCI-E spec even after the fix and a crappy mobo might not like it.

Not enough juice in the PCIe port. It will probably fry your port.

your psu is shit

buy nVidia
/thread

>Super Flower SF-650P-14P

come on there is nothing wrong with that psu

Aren't Super Flower pretty good?

I don't know about every model but mostly yes.

nobody in my country stocks them which means they don't sell at all and shit.

Shaw, Aerocool, Super Flower these were the only brands i've found from dodgy chink PC stores which means avoid at all cost.

just fucking avoid these no matter what anyone says.

gr8 argument m8

Rebranding is extremely common for PSUs. The evga 80+T units are made by SuperFlower, and those units are no joke.

That said I couldn't even find a review for OPs PSU so I'm not expecting it to be any good.

>not knowing SuperFlower
Literally fuck the fuck off. That's actually a top tier PSU. It's older and non-modular but who gives a fuck? That's not OP's problem here.

Third result on google.

techpowerup.com/reviews/SuperFlower/SF-650P14PE/

Don't tell me you're using DuckDuckMeme?

I jumped the gun a little as that review is for the Platinum version, but I assume OP's is extremely similar or he just left the "E" off the end of the model name.

Should be easy enough for OP to check which sticker the unit has on it.

Should be, but OP is always a faggot, so there's that.

I've seen it on my system too when the PSU was going bad. (Some?) Asus mobos have a feature to monitor PSU voltages and reboot the system if they're out of spec, as a measure of protection I guess. When it's triggered it will display a message on next boot to let you know.

So OP, this likely means your PSU can't power your shit properly, try having a look at what you get on your 3.3/5/12V rails. I'd say it's extremely unlikely for the card to be the culprit. Your PSU is either in the process of biting the bullet or just too shit to supply enough power. What card did you have before and what PSU do you have?

>Aren't Super Flower pretty good?
They do make some top-tier models, yeah. Even if the PSU is good, doesn't mean it couldn't be dying. Seems like it's an older model, could have a fair bit of mileage already.

hey Sup Forums, i know this isnt a gpu gerneral, but i was wondering if there was any place that still had the rx 480 on sale.

i bought a 4790k to replace my g3258 and somewhere along the line my gpu started having issues.

its an r9 270x and it only posts 1/20 times when i have the gpu seated in a certain position by pushing on it.

is my card fucked up or my pci express connnector? it seems logical if it needs pressure in a certain direction to function.

assuming its the card for some reason, post cheap good deals on rx 480.

Have you tried another pcie slot?

my board only has one slot

Nitro cards have a different circuit, those cards dont exceed the specs.

Well since I have to guess I'd say the mobo is more likely the problem. You'd be hard pressed to damage just the connector of a pci-e card.

Bizzare, this motherboard hasn't given me problems in any other department besides the gpu. Now, and actually 1 year ago around this time when a different 270x failed on me.

I'll examine the pci slot later.

I'm gonna be bummed if its broken because i cant find msi z97i ac's anywhere online

Super Flower are Seasonic-tier you stupid cunts. It literally isn't possible to buy from a better OEM. Fuck off back to Sup Forums.

I forgot to mention my troubleshoot process:

took out the 270x

tried running off of integrated graphics using display port and HDMI, both worked, got it to post and log into windws

I plugged in an ancient ATi 5670 using display port, that fired up first shot.

I have a 600w psu and i run stable 4.6gigs oc and my rx480 at 1390 and 1800 mhrz oc. My psu doesnt give 2 shits.

Mfw

Which one famalam?

>people actually undervolt their non-reference cards
lmao

My previous card was a HD7950.

If i remember correctly its a corsair cx600

Base memory clock is 2 GHz on the reference card fämäläm

unless its a chink psu it shouldent give a shit at 400w either.

You're knowledge of PSUs is shit. Super Flower is one of the most reputable makers in the business.

I think the real discussion here is will there ever be a better looking card than the rx nitro series? I love that design so much.

If Nvidia didn't preform significantly better in overwatch and wow I would have bought that card. I wish Nvidia just supported freesync, I'll never be able to afford Gsync

Not on the 4gb model

you can overclock the memory to the same speed as the 8gb, so no perf difference.

im gonna go ahead and guess you are using a single cable from the PSU. Like , you got a single 8 pin cable plugged in the PSU and both ends of this single cable plugged in the GPU.

Problem seems to be with the PSU rail , or that cards were never intended to work that way in the first place , but you gotta use two independent cables. Plug two cables in the PSU and use the 6 pin from on your first connector and the 6+2.....

Holy fuck that card only has a single power connector.

I would avoid blower type cooling GPUs if possible (that is the asus turbo in your case),
they tend to run somewhat hotter and are generally much louder, they are better suited for SLI builds as they
expel hot air out of the case rather than in it. But I do not have any experience with asus turbo, I only know that
contrary to the name, it is as stock as they get (not much factory OC, if any, reason is the temperature).
Here where I am, they are by far the cheapest 1070s, I'd guess for some reason or the other. Correct me if I'm wrong, maybe someone has some experience with them.

>It's older and non-modular but who gives a fuck? That's not OP's problem here.

Its exactly OP's problem. Literally nothing can cause immediate reboots other than power supply issues. Downclocking the card only reduced the amount of power the card can draw from your shit psu , so it wont crash anymore.

The very fact that its non modular means OP also needs to make sure hes using the right cables and that the rails may not be designed to handle this newer card. Google your PSU and your GPU and see if anyone else has similar problems.

forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=395609

>When gaming with bf4 and ACU and monitoring the 12 rail is dropping 11.50 vlts is the lowest ive seen.

This shit is more than enough to crash your entire computer instantly.

So before going hurr durr the PSU cant possibly be the cause its so guud !

Maybe try a modular PSU from a non shit brand next time.

I just landed a pretty well paid job for my country and thus will stop being a neet soon. As a treat to myself, i'd like to sell my current r9 380 while it's still worth something and get an rx 480 (300€ is the maximum i'm willing to spend for my sporadic gaming use).

what rx 480 do i get? i heard the sapphires suck ass. do i get an xfx? do i wait for vega? i'm team red so fuck off, nvidia shills

490 is rumored to be released later this month. Wait for it.

nice! thx user

Oh look it's another "user got tricked into buying an AMD product and now he is being false flagged as an Nvidia shill because he ruins their already shitty reputation." thread.

>being retarded
The post.

>My AYYMD requires meticulous adjustments that would fry a normies brain in order to keep the card operational
>Nvidia plug and play, hooray

Who's really retarded though?

>buy a new car
>have to remap the ecu by yourself in order to function properly
This is exactly what you're saying, you poor ayymd faggot.

Wasn't him dipshit, I was highlighting how the AMD was worse than Nvidia.

>t. 1080 owner.

I misquoted.