Why would a scientific programmer be required to know web monkey languages?

Why would a scientific programmer be required to know web monkey languages?

>CSS
>HTML
>languages
wut

You rather they hire a dedicated web developer

Css and html can be useful(for a data scientist) to show data in tabular form.

Are you mentally retarded or just illiterate?

or they could contract it out when needed

Formatting, in the same way they'd want you to make PDFs.

They're languages, just not programming languages.

They're syntax's to write instructions for a computer to do so they are languages.

Because a large part of that role would be to present the data meaningfully. Web monkey languages are literally designed for this.

>Formatting, in the same way they'd want you to make PDFs.

Who the fuck makes PDFs in HTML rather than LaTeX?!

Isn't that what you get an interncuck for?

Still considering yourself a scientist eh?

>or they could contract it out when needed
You obviously have no experience in this area.
Contractors are the bane of any sysadmin's life.
They seldom hang around long enough to do the documentation, they have terrible coding standards and usually quit at the worst possible time.

Probably for dealing with some existing web interface.

What kind of documentation does a web page need?

Nice reading comprehension, user.

>HTML
>language

Hyper
Text
Markup
>Language

Dumping a massive table of data on a webpage really won't make it presentable and you can't graph data with HTML.

They don't. Read carefully.
>position WILL INVOLVE exposure to

They are giving you a warning that you might have to work with those languages.
I've taken courses in scientific programming and can tell you what languages showed up over the period of 2 years
C, C++, FORTRAN, LaTex, Matlab, and python.

>sysadmin

There's your problem

Did you just call Java a web language?

This

>scientific programmer
The fuck?

It's when you code science :^)

Why not?

Because you are required to work with the code they work with.

HR was fucking drunk when they wrote that.

It means to can solve advanced problems in real life and translate them into a computer to do them faster.

>someone coded a simulator in HTML

Because a scientific programmer is not a scientist. A scientific programmer is there to back up scientists and researchers by implementing something they need. Obviously in this case, that includes something that has a fucking interface so the researches can actually use it.

Why would they when they can get two in one?

Looking at the title of the ad, I'm assuming this position involves being collaborating with other teams and maintaining helping maintain a cluster...

I assume one of the duties will involve making/maintaining a help webpage (instructions to use the cluster, what packages are installed and how to load them, instructions to use the PBS or SLURM queuing system, etc.)

Also, there are various JAVA scientific packages out there... they do exist...

Why not hire a scientist that can also code?

>write platform independent applications that you don't even have to install
>get shit on even though you support their shitty snowflake os

They are two different positions. Scientists are hired based on grant money. Scientific programmers are usually hired based on the department's IT budget.

>You can't graph data with web technologies
How did you even get a job if you're this retarded

>you can't graph data with HTML.
what is d3.js
what is google charts (aka charts.js)
what is plotly.js

I'm a scientific programmer, I mostly write web apps that support research.

Am currently writing a pathology test/order/patient tracking application, mostly in React/MDL with server-side stuff in PHP.

Previous stuff included R non-linear regression for result analysis and a semantic DB to store scientific claims made by networks of journal articles.

I think I'm working on something to do with clinical trials the next project,

I do science stuff but it's mostly web apps. I definitely need to know web monkey languages and I learn new ones every second project.

See Also they do hire scientist that can code...
However, on the occasion there will be scientist and students that have no experience coding, but have the need to use a computational model or desire to use some package which has been recommended by the community, etc...

>Why not hire a scientist that can also code?
Generally, scientists are hired for projects or academic reasons or whatever. They often move around a lot too.

Departments like that often have a couple of in-house programmers that just write whatever the scientists need written.
Those guys need to do all sorts of things, including web interfaces to whatever thing the scientists are working on.

>You rather they hire a dedicated web developer
A web dev might not know enough science to be useful, you want programmers with domain knowledge if at all possible.

It's not like physics where literally everyone is also a programmer.

fucking retard fucks sake

>what is *.js

cancer.

>t. unemployed

Face it user.

Most sci-data jobs require you to actually make your tools usable. And that means putting them online.