/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 2)
archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/ - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/skype.html
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=202798&p=2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reposting my question on one of the deleted threads:
I upgraded from Fedora 24 to 25 but after rebooting grub only listed 24, and went into a reboot loop when I chose it. I reinstalled 24 afterwards. If I want to try upgrading again should I edit the grub config file somehow or get a program that does that?

First for arch gahnoo slash linuks

What do you mean exactly by editing the grub config file?

How do I get skype back?

That doesn't respect your freedom.

stallman.org/skype.html

>stallman.org
And why do you think I care about what he has to say?

What I mean is changing the boot menu entry for Fedora so that it starts correctly.

Don't say we didn't warn you user.

Need some help showing that I can't serve a web page using a symbolic link

Why are you dodging my question?

I have no social life. I can't really answer you sorry.

I've not gotten a proper answer so far, so-
whats the most minimalistic, autistic *floating* WM available in debian sids repos?

Yeah, I figured

i3 xmonad dwm bspwm awesome

Non-autistic cop-out answer: they have a web version now which works on everything

Just show whoever the config file, apache2 has an option for following links

Did you upgrade from the CLI? DNF?

First for Gentoo

Yeah. I wasn't aware of any GUI programs you can use to upgrade.

How would I show that I can't use the symbolic link without making changes to SELinux? I'm gonna make the change after, just need to demonstrate this

Try that and see if it works whenever.

waifu pillows are pretty great

those are tiling WMs that I think have floating capabilities.

>installs a new package
>program complains libreadline.so is too old
>upgrades package readline
>nothing on the computer launches anymore
>not even the terminal works

What am I even supposed to do? I've tried the tty but it fails to login. I'm using Arch btw.

>proper answer
--purge yourself
dcat's swm + wmutils

neither have dependencies. are you too babby to compile shit?

no im just scared of installing from outside the repos for something like a WM.

Even when trying to log in as root?

Yes

When providing the credentials what does it say after it?

Any idea? Cannot open other HD when using openbox but I can if on other DE

Nothing. The screen clears and it shows the login interface again.

nvm don't really care since it's not my ext hd

What package did you install?

Is there any new release? Update your Skype client

gnome-sound-recorder. I don't think it has anything to do with it since it only began to malfunction once I installed the latest readline

Maybe this can help bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=202798&p=2

Running ubuntu MATE, is there a good alternative for Caja?

I can't use my mouse back and forth buttons in the list view.

What's the best Linux file manager?

mc

dolphin is literally the best

dolphin

cool

>snowden is da savior we duhzerved

You fucking retards will buy anyone who doesn't like your government, even if they sold stolen information to even more corrupt governments who are actively working to undermine your freedom and privacy.

Is there a distro that already comes with a hardened kernel?

You need to start openbox in a gnome session for all that jazz to work.

Nice red herring, but the point of the cartoon is refuting the communism bogeyman and the myth that Cuba is an evil dictatorship.

my newbie mint virtual machine is slow and firefox wont open
what do i do?
i5-4590, 8gb ram, no ssd.

Hi /fglt/
I'm using Linux and for a school project I'm forced to use "prezi", which is an ugly giant flash-based browser application for making shitty meme presentations. Anyways, it's repeatedly crashing, telling me I'm running out of memory when I'm obviously not, I have plenty free (using ~1 GB / 8 GB total).
Is there any way for me to tell firefox to allocate more memory to flash? Or am I fucked?

Some chick sneaking into American hotels in Cuba and blogging about how shitty life in her country is isn't the same as a faggot pony fucker with a government job committing treason and espionage for russia and china.

>a faggot pony fucker
he was actually a weeabou

There are pictures of him wearing fucking unicorn horns and fake hooves. He was a weeaboo on top of that maybe but he was the worst kind.

Dont you have someone to be spying on, NSA?

I'm not going to pretend to know what I'm talking about or asking because I don't know alot but if anyone could give me any information I'd appreciate it.

I've read a few things that said you should buy a cheap 100 $ chromebook and install linux. Now I have used Ubuntu a few years ago and I didn't have any major issues.

My question is, is that the cheapest way to go about getting a laptop or should I not use a chromebook?

>le snowden is a traitor meem XDDDDD
Take your bluepilled anti-privacy shit back to Sup Forums, you fucking moron.

Alpine is pretty hard, homie

answer this please

>shills for systemd at every opportunity
>calls Snowden traitor

If you weren't too pathetic to be hired by anyone, I'd be worried.

What are the advantage of tiling window managers vs non-tiling?

Increased autism, looks so much better in desktop thread, etc.

Revert to the old readline version/package. If you have to boot into a live system and revert all it's associated files manually.

The new package you wanted to install depended on the new readline and everything else on your system depended on the old version. That's what I think happened anyway.

Tiling WMs are more productive, floating WMs have a less steep learning curve.

You do realize that both of those things the vast majority of people support, and you are a paranoid unpatriotic outlier.

bash

>not supporting your nation's degeneration into a police state is being unpatriotic

But they don't

>appeal to majority
wow this site fucking sucks

I was mostly hoping for someone who uses either or both to give some perspective on the advantages vs disadvantages of each.
To me I find that I'm almost always tiling my windows but just in the primitive left/right fashion in most non-tiling window managers I use.
So I'm thinking I might want to take the plunge. But I'm sure almost anyone can sympathize with needing more reasons for making change.

I don't particularly feel the need for vertical tiling. But that may just be because I'm not on a tiling window manager.

you really have a craving for those (you)s, huh?

I see the advantage of tiling and I do things that mirror tiling WM's (e.g. fullscreen emacs, bound keys to split windows 50/50 in xfwm), but I don't like tiling WM's mainly because 90% of GUI programs really aren't meant for tiling, so the window manager has to stretch them often awkwardly

here, *puts 1 (you) in yout butt*

They do, polls show that only 1/3rd of Americans wish Snoden could be pardoned.

People are also sick of Democratic liberal globalist agenda's destroying our society and that's why we have Donald Trump as President Elect.

1 (one) more (you) up the butt :'3

Is it posible for qt open file window to shows image preview on the side or thumbnails as icons

I think most people don't know exactly what Snowden did

ranger

thunar or PCmanFM

I don't see how the Trump presidency and NSA espionage could be good for a gay pedo-weeb like (you)

On XFCE how do I make the panel not always be on top? I'd like to have windows maximize over it but I'd rather avoid having it auto hide. It should really only appear when I hit the metakey (which I'd call windows key in a less PC environment) or when nothing obscures it.
Well I'm fairly certain that with as volatile Americans are they'd flip on the subject when correctly informed.
There's a very slim minority who actually thinks governments breaking their own laws is a good idea in the general case. And among those who don't quite a few would be imagined to support the idea of pardoning people based on popular opinion.

But really the stance of being opposed goverments being asshats and supporting pardoning snowden is rather hypocritical at its core. He did break the law.

>ranger
>python

The only reason there is a %30 percent that want Snoden pardoned is because they incorrectly believe that they were having their constitutional rights violated, the mass media should have persecuted the prick instead of pretending he was standing up for our rights.

Anyone "correctly" informed would support the treason charges and Snoden's execution.

this, most people don't even know what privacy is and why it's important, unless you explain it to them in terms of dick pics

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Monitoring data that you give publicly does not violate your 4th amendment right.

Security branches of the government would not be doing due diligence if they did not collect intelligence.

Only fucking idiots believe that him compromising national security is a good thing.

>Only fucking idiots believe that him compromising national security is a good thing.
But what if you believe America isn't a good nation ruled by good Samaritans who do it for a relatively low salary and that maybe the world would be better off if US national security was severely compromised?

Then you are an enemy.

I've been using Fedora on my laptop for 3 years now.When I tried to boot my laptop today which has Fedora 23 on it, my laptop went to the bios screen. At first I thought my hard drive died or something and decided to plug in an ubuntu liveboot flash drive. It booted fine, and I was able to navigate to my Fedora partitions though the terminal. All my files were there and no signs of corruption, but when I ls in my boot folder there are no more files there. Anyone have any idea what happened and how I can make it work?

Of whom?

Well, if you act on those beliefs in a way that harms the nation of the United States of America, then you are an enemy of myself and every other patriotic American whether they recognize that or not.

Dissent and anti-American sentiments lead to terrorism and violence.

>then you are an enemy of myself and every other patriotic American whether they recognize that or not.
So you've established that your word is supreme to every other american and that their opinions on things should be disregarded entirely because of your natural right to assess and dismiss their opinions?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
>if you act on those beliefs in a way that harms the nation of the United States of America
So I cannot make any deal with the united states of America where the objective judgement of outcome has been overall negative to the united states. At some indeterminate point in time or at any point from that decision to the end of time?

>be 愛してるさわこ !BE/4wes0mE
>a pathetic (you) whore
>can't get enough of those (you)'s
>probably has a (you) counter script running in the background
>brags to his mom who never gave him any attention anyway about how an important internet person he is
>resort to obvious baiting to get more (you)'s, so he can fill his monthly quota
>mfw newfags unironically give them to him

I suggest you turn on anonymizing features.
Instead of being a bitch.

I suggest you turn your trip back on, so I can filter you

>act on those beliefs in a way that harms the nation of the United States of America
Either your comprehension is shit or you are deliberately ignoring whatever doesn't fit your narrative of how you view my opinions.

Maybe you should work on that close mindedness because I sure as fuck am not wrong.

Just filter all tripfags.
There hasn't been a tripfag doing anything worthwhile since blux.

>I sure as fuck am not wrong
what an argument, wow

You don't realize how unless you restrict those claims you've clearly made everyone an enemy to the united states of america. Every entity capable of acting is an enemy. Probably even itself, but you'd probably argue the united states of america can't act on its own.

What ever the united states of america actually is.
>closed mindedness
Well closed mindedness would be making assumptions about your statement or not considering your view.

I find it an interesting but rather unreasonable opinion to hold. And overall if this were the official and actionable stance of the US you'd certainly see world war near immediately.

Oh boy you got me, I can't argue against your liberal dissembling and strawmen you must be right!

I'll stop arguing now and let you continue your cancerous erosion of logic until nobody has any freedom left.