Who here has ever honestly used an eSATA port (port on far left of pic related)

who here has ever honestly used an eSATA port (port on far left of pic related)

Why do you have two headphone ports?

Not my case, just some random one I found on newegg. But one is a microphone port.

My laptop has no optical drive and came with an eSATA one, I've used it quite a few times.

All the time with my old hdd dock

I don't understand this. Why are there 2 headphone ports on your case?

one for input, one for output

bait

The better question would be who here has honestly used an external SAS 3 port

I use mine all the time to make backups.

You can use esata as usb port

one day, user

one day

hey smart guy, i really think you better think about what you just said. i use it all the time becasue im a data guy, i get all the data and the pussy. check my zfs. #cronjoblife

Is this some kind of fiber optic port?

The SAS 3 ports are above the SFP+ ports. Pic related.

There are combination eSATA USB ports but not every eSATA port supports USB.

what's this used for

I have two additional 2.5" hard drives attached to my laptop using powered eSATA (one cable for each drive provides power as well) - one on the laptop itself and one on the docking station, no issues, full performance as expected, been doing this for a long time now without problems.

SAS 3? disk drives
The SFP+ ports with fiber optic modules? 10gig ethernet

why do that when I could just use my PCIe SFP+ port to a 10Gbps connection on my switch

Sure, I have one of those things where you can slot external drives via eSATA. Before USB3 that was the real shit.

Because a SFP+ is limited to 10gbps full duplex whereas a SAS 3 port supports 48gbps full duplex. This ignores issues such as latency.

> why do that when I could just use my PCIe SFP+ port to a 10Gbps connection on my switch
SFP+ arent connected to the PCIe bus you tard. They aren't M.2 slots. Also you can clearly see a pair of SFP+ modules in my pic.

PCIe adapter card, is what I meant

i remember when i bought my first WD 500gig external hardrive literally 10 years ago. It came with an esata port. My computer had an esata port.

I went to the fucking computer shop and asked for an esata cable.

>sorry user we dont have esata cables and probably never will

seriously to this day i dont think esata cables actually exist and the port is either a an epic troll or an some sort of interface for the trilateral commision

>PCIe adapter card, is what I meant
No, what you meant was a 10GbE SFP+ NIC, not an "adapter card". And there is a Intel X520 is my pic.

Literally the first fucking link you get when you type "esata cable" is the amazon page where you order this shit for 7 bucks.

Do you live in a forest?

didn't even notice, my bad

didnt own a credit card back then and lived in remote western australia... so yeah.

I have, as a usb port, that's it.

Yes. Very very useful.

Muktitrack listening of course

me.

I'm using 3 right now.

Apparently not you. But yes, I use SAS 3 external HBAs.

I have used eSATAp, but only for the USB part

Those are called eSATAp ports. I think OP is talking about regular eSATA which can't be used as a USB port too.

Either way, both have been made obsolete now by USB C

How do you use the eSATA port?
Or to be or exact where to buy those hardware that uses eSATA port?
Because plugging a USB to it gives the same speed as 2.0 USB port.

I have a hard drive dock I got for free that uses eSATA. It's all I've ever used it for, but it sure beats using the other port on the dock which is just USB 2.

Years ago I did with external 500GB hdd that was used for backups only.

I used it for quite a while when I moved country and had a laptop instead of desktop.

I had 4x.1.5tb hard drives in raid0 for my steam library. Pointless but fun.