Nokia Android Phones in 2017

> planning to release an Android-powered handset early next year.
> launching a new phones section on its site today

hold onto your butts

nokia.com/en_int/phones

Other urls found in this thread:

hel-looks.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

who cares we have xiaomi now

nokia will actually want money

Talked to a Nokia employee last week, they just got an internal update about the upcoming phones.

I had to go before I could ask more, but I doubt he'd reveal classified shit.

>inb4 bs
It was elevator smalltalk since I work in the same building as Nokia.
They own the first and part of the ground floor.

cool story

I want paid Xiaomi shills to leave.

>implying Xiaomi got the money to pay shills with their low prices

muh dick

I work for Nokia and got no such internal update.

I'm not sure what was worse, ruining and then killing symbian, or their windows phone deal with Microsoft.

Just imagine how things could be now if Nokia had been more competent 10 years ago.

This is why Nokia failed.

Nokia relevant sites own their own building. Either your colleague work in a shitty sales department or you are full of shit. Plus a Nokian would never leak shit.

>smalltalk
>Finland

I don't really much care for Nokia at this point, especially since it seems like they're going to be doing what absolutely everyone else is doing.
As in they're going to be yet another manufacturer running Android on their devices.
At least Jolla had the right idea by doing their own thing with Sailfish.
And those guys were former Nokia people.
Nokia should have gone with Sailfish too, or announced that they're going to be developing an OS of their own

this tbhsmthfam

I seriously hope at least one of their new models comes with a physical keyboard and good custom ROM support

>hki
i don't have an anime image smug enough to post from work. just imagine one here.

Quality will be back?

hel-looks.com/
have fun

Exactly this. It's so tremendously late in the Android game to do anything special.

Literally the only thing they can do is design something incredibly sexy but let's be honest that's probably never going to happen again.

>Nokia should have gone with Sailfish too, or announced that they're going to be developing an OS of their own

Fuck that, like we need any more fragmentation in the OS/app space.

It's in Rhodes, 5 rider blvd.

Am ausfag, he was Indian.

Proof?

>go check link
>full of indian people
what the fuck

A pretty good read from Paul

Nokia will formally re-enter the smartphone market in early 2017 with a family of Android-based handsets. But make no mistake: This is not the Nokia of old.More important, had Nokia chosen Android over Windows phone in 2011, it would have failed even faster than it did. So let’s get that bit of revisionist nonsense out of the way.
Nokia was once the largest maker of phones, and smartphones, in the world. But like so many companies of its ilk—we can count Microsoft, Motorola, Palm, RIM/Blackberry and many others here—Nokia stumbled badly in responding to the iPhone and then never recovered. In Nokia’s case, this involved sticking with its outdated Symbian OS for too long, belatedly starting a project called Meego to replace it, and basically believing that just being Nokia gave it the edge it needed over Apple.Nope.
Three years too late, Nokia finally hired an outsider, Stephen Elop, to clean up its mess. What Elop found was a company mired in the past, and he penned his infamous “Burning Platform” memo—and leaked it to the press—in a bid to convince the company that it needed a drastic change in order to survive, let alone thrive. It was already too late, of course, the damage having already been done by Nokia’s slow-moving and insular CEOs of the past and a hubris-laden corporate culture that led employees to believe they could do no wrong.
Elop deserves credit for quickly identifying what was wrong with Nokia and then moving decisively to try and fix the problems.
His first big decision was to choose a next-generation mobile platform. He scrapped Meego, and correctly determined that Android was a non-starter, noting that had Nokia chosen Google’s platform, it would have been lost in a sea of Android-based smartphones. “The single most important word is ‘differentiation’,” he later said, explaining his decision. “Entering the Android environment late, we knew we would have a hard time differentiating.”

So Elop chose Windows phone. Looked at with hindsight, many revisionists and Nokia loyalists claim this was the wrong decision. But Windows phone was a Hail Mary Pass for a company that was already living on borrowed time, and it was Nokia’s only shot at succeeding. Aside from the technical and design promises that came with choosing Windows phone, Nokia could benefit from financial help from Microsoft. And as a partner in the development of the OS, Nokia could actual impact Windows phone at a deeper level than any company outside of Microsoft. It was, in short, the right decision because it was the only decision that could have saved Nokia.

(The theory that Elop, a former Microsoft executive, was a “Trojan Horse” sent to Nokia to force Windows phone on it is disproven by the fact that the entire management organization at the company made the platform decision collectively. That said, there is little doubt that Elop’s close relationship with Microsoft’s upper management made this deal easier to swallow. If anything, Nokia got a sweeter arrangement than would have been possible otherwise, and it benefited financially from Windows phone and associated licensing more than Microsoft did during this time period.)

What no one understood at the time was that Nokia was going to get smaller no matter what happened. Smaller from a market share and usage share perspective, and smaller as a corporate entity: Elop laid off Nokia 11,000 employees in 2011, and another 10,000 in 2012. During this time, Nokia announced and launched its Windows phone efforts, and then released a series of remarkable smartphones—including the Lumia 920, 1020, 1520, and others—that truly did differentiate from what was offered by Android and iPhone.

>inspired by poo, made from everyone, here in india

But Nokia wasn’t successful, wasn’t ever going to be successful, and as it continued to lose market share and money, it was forced to consider other options. It briefly offered a range of Android-based devices as a volume play in emerging markets, and then finally succumbed to the inevitable, and Elop explained to Microsoft that Nokia would no longer be able to stand on its own.

Microsoft faced two possibilities, both horrible: It could allow Nokia, which produced over 80 percent of all Windows phone handsets, to abandon the platform and then fail as a company. Or it could purchase Nokia at great cost—over $7 billion—and take on its enormous employee base, worldwide manufacturing capabilities, and product lines.

The former decision was a certainty: It would have killed Windows phone as a platform. The latter was a risky bet, as Nokia was clearly in a downward spiral with no end in sight. The only good news is that Microsoft, unlike Nokia, could absorb the impact.

So Microsoft chose the latter. And Elop came back to the software giant to run a devices group that would include Nokia’s various assets.

Mr. Elop is hated by Nokia loyalists both inside and outside the company because they incorrectly believe that he was the reason for Nokia’s downfall. So much so that Elop routinely received death threats during his tenure at Nokia and later at Microsoft, and he was forced to travel with two bodyguards as a result.

But if Elop betrayed anything, it was Microsoft, not Nokia: As the Nokia-based hardware business continued to lose sales, market and usage share, and money, Microsoft’s upper management quickly realized that Elop had orchestrated the sale of a lifetime: As noted, Nokia was always going to fail. The only question was whether Nokia or Microsoft would be the one to pay the price, both literal and figurative. Once the full measure of this disaster was realized, Elop was let go. And Microsoft abandoned the consumer smartphone market forever, writing off over $10 billion to date to cover its losses. It also laid off the vast majority of former Nokia employees who had come to Microsoft. Worse, Stephen Elop had received about $15 million in bonuses for orchestrating the sale of Nokia to Microsoft, a fact that still rankles many.

In my view, however, Elop is still a hero. He was given an impossible task and did more than I believe anyone else could have to try and turn around Nokia. As important, Elop intimately understood all of the products that Nokia produced, and he could speak effortlessly and eloquently about any of them, at any time, off the cuff. In my many years covering Microsoft and the surrounding ecosystem, I have very rarely found any executive, let alone a CEO, with this deep level of product knowledge. Elop didn’t just lead Nokia, he was a fan of Nokia and its products, and it showed.

Thinking about the new Nokia’s plans to re-enter the smartphone market, I can’t help myself: I’m still interested, and curious, and I still wonder something wonderful is possible. The pragmatic side of my personality says no, that Nokia—I want to write that as “Nokia” as this company has nothing to do with the Nokia we all cared about so much—is just doing what so many former greats—Atari, Polaroid, whatever—have done by slapping its name on products that will be manufactured by others.

It’s not that bad, you may argue: Nokia will design the devices, after all. But that’s what Blackberry is doing too, and that company isn’t making a comeback either. Worse, “Designed by Nokia” doesn’t have much cachet in 2016 when you realize that the designers who made such special products for the company are long gone. That magic is never going to be rekindled, sorry.

But I’m a sap. I’m looking forward to their phones, will no doubt waste hard-earned money acquiring them. I’ll try to be realistic about it. But it’s Nokia. Sort of. And you just never know.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

>had Nokia chosen Android over Windows phone in 2011, it would have failed even faster than it did.

lol who believes this nonsense? Nokia failed cuz Microsoft.

Nokia failed before MS got involved.

My old Lumia 920 is still so comfy in the hand. Can't do anything with it though.

What a shame.

This.
As a Finn who observed the situation over the course of many years, I can say that they fucked up big time long before MS.
They practically slowly but routinely kicked out their workers, among with their innovation department, which was the very reason behind their success and the bosses grew complacent as fuck.
Hey they had money, so why the fuck would they care.
So they just kept on hammering that old boring business sector and completely failed to get on board with the teens.
I remember when the Sony Ericsson W880i came out around 2006 and targeted youth, that was the time period when they really should have jumped on board.
But they didn't and before too long, Nokias had completely disappeared from among people under 25 years old.
I remember when I got my N82, people said "Oh, you got one of those old man phones" Hell, everyone else had Samsung or something else at that point.
Downward spiral continued for some years and then Nokia killed off MeeGo and that was the final nail in the coffin.

Though got to give them credit, they basically jewed the fuck out of Microsoft with their deal.
Nokia didn't sell any of their patents to MS and just enjoyed a free ride with their new "master" and sucked out 7 bil of their money.
Now they have that money and they want to try their own hand at making phones.
I have no faith in them though.
It's going to be just another "made in China" tier generic brand, that offers nothing new or interesting.
Of course it would be interesting to see them bring out a thick phone with 2x larger sensor and 4x better battery life than anything out there, but I doubt they'd risk doing something like that.

i think nokia will end up making shit tier phones, destroying their legacy. and that's when it will die for good.

Give me fukken N9

It will be just like a based glass smartphone, drop it on the floor and the display will look like spiderman ejaculated on it.

Don't expect to be something at least drop resistant like their old phones.

they were being fucked in the ass by that MS shill CEO long before they got bought by MS

they were fucked up way before Elop become CEO. Otherwise they wouldn't need Elop and MS partnership.

Web have two OS. Two.