Could you guys recommend me the best NAS that:

Could you guys recommend me the best NAS that:
-either supports iSCSI
-or can run any OS (FreeNAS is cool)
-and can fit 10TB in RAID 1 (at least 20TB of raw hard disk space)

It can be just a bunch of parts to use to build my own server if that's the best solution. I think that something like QNAP might be enough, though.

Other urls found in this thread:

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57989017/9.10/FreeNAS Guide 9.10.pptx.zip
freenas.org/blog/freenas-worst-practices/),
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

prebuilt NAS's are for people who can't into putting a machine together and installing FreeNAS/whatever

Just build one

I don't need to prove anything to myself, I just need a solution that is the most solid and the least expensive. What is wrong with prebuilt NAS's? Why would I use a server/desktop grade CPU when I can get a box with a more energy efficient ARM that will still do the job?

Not OP but you guys have never had to install enterprise level equipment. When you need features that are supported and next day warranty pre-built is a must.

My company uses Synology and I can set one up in 30 minutes that will...

Replicate to other Synology devices on site or around the world.

Replicate to dropbox/box/gdrive

have a web accessible interface with no need to open ports on a firewall.

email me daily reports on consumption/loss of power(Works even if the device itself is currently down)

Also works as a time machine for OSX and a datastore for VMware.

Can't ask for more even though it has loads more features.

For FreeNAS, read this: dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57989017/9.10/FreeNAS Guide 9.10.pptx.zip

I bought an HP Microserver with a bunch of SATA drives and a usb pendrive, found an iLO key online, not cheapest solution but working well so far.
You can build an equivalent with Supermicro components as well, has IPMI for remote control.

If you want cheaper try Synology or QNAP, less options though in terms of software.

A white box that runs Windows File Services. If you care about bit rot run a mirror storage spaces and use ReFS.

>inb4 ZFS
ZFS wants 5GB of RAM per 1 TB of disk space for dedup (freenas.org/blog/freenas-worst-practices/), Windows wants 1GB and from my experience wont even use that, I have a 20TB volume with 24GB of RAM assigned to it and it rarely ever uses that much, generally only 12-14GB.

If you install ESXi you can also setup a failover cluster so you dont incur downtime when you install updates.

>Why would I use a server grade CPU
For ECC memory so your data doesnt get corrupted. They make low power 35 watt Xeon-d chip

>Windows wants 1GB and from my experience wont even use that,

OP here. Thanks for the data. I would need ZFS to prevent bit rot even if I use RAID, right? I had no idea it needed this much RAM.

I don't care so much about the uptime, no need for failover.

I didn't consider Windows before. It sounds like a good idea, though. I don't want to have to install 50GB of RAM in the box. Just to clarify, the Windows RAID/ZFS counterpart needs 1GB or RAM per 1TB of disk storage, right? Is it the effective space (after taking the RAID duplication into account) or the raw, physical disk space?

Do you have an estimate of the power consumption of the entire box if I used the 35W Xeon?

OP, check the FreeNAS parts recommendation guide

Thanks guys, I will do some more reading on FreeNAS. I might be confused with this whole RAID/ZFS thing here.

im also getting this christmas hopefuly for sale
a 2 bay WD my cloud

i would wall mount it my portable personal network board

pretty much looks like pic related

>the Windows RAID/ZFS counterpart needs 1GB or RAM per 1TB of disk storage, right?
yes although as you can see from the screenshot it rarely ever uses this much. i'm not sure about ZFS, but Windows doesnt dedup in real time, it does so on a user configurable schedule. and even then it only uses 80-90% of the 24GB of RAM I have assigned for a very short period of time.

> the raw, physical disk space?
yes, raw

>Do you have an estimate of the power consumption of the entire box if I used the 35W Xeon?
Not a lot? It really depends on what the rest of the system is.

Clear as day you don't have to pay for the electricity your mom provides

you only need a lot of ram for dedup
a home user doesn't need dedup at all

>a home user doesn't need dedup at all
no

Pegboard is a nice touch.

and this is on a volume of which 11 TB are video files.

There's a Dell T20 on sale on their site with a Xeon chip. Is it worth getting for $250?

What kind of shithole do you live in if liker 50W average or something is noticeable on your bill?

That's some shitty reasoning you got there morons.

Maybe people don't want a massive box with unnecessary hardware, and would prefer a much smaller and cheaper box that does exactly what it needs to.

Maybe people don't want to actually have to build and configure one from scratch and a box of expensive parts.

Not everyone is a smelly neet who has to scavenge parts.

OP explicitly allowed custom machines as a recommendation

50W here, another 100 there
THE IT'S ALL OVER, JERRY!