/sqt/

Stupid Questions Thread
There isn't one at the moment, and I have a stupid question.

I got a new HDD today, a 3TB WD Red, and I'm copying everything on my old Caviar Blue over to it, around 500GB and 300k files. They are both using SATA. The speed it's copying at is only ~1MB/s though, with a low around 500KB/s and a high at 10MB/s. I know small files take longer to copy, but isn't this a bit too slow?

Other urls found in this thread:

example.com/page/sessionId=asdfkjalkj7e54kj12as
ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Port-10-100-1000M-PCI-E-1X-Intel82540-Gigabit-Server-Adapter-Network-Card-/142051377222?hash=item2112ec0046:g:brIAAOSwGXtXg1p~
github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So I'm kinda sick of waiting now.
Is there a way for me to tell defraggler (or any other tool) to just start moving the blocks that are breaking up the freespace counting from the end? Because I don't even need all of that freespace defragmented. I probably just need a third at most and that's a stretch.

I'm gonna dualboot on my SSD so I need to shrink this partition.

just resize it, stuff that needs to move will be moved

Not on windows 7 at least.
Tells me it could only crop it by

ntfsresize in linux will move stuff out of the way

Hmm ok I'l load up the live USB then.
Just for 'proof'.
Windows is dumb.
Oh and to be clear it's obviously not specific locations on the drive that are demanded by the OS when they say 'unmovable files'. They just mean they don't move files. Because it was just a measly 3.8gb yesterday.

Here's my setup.

When I turn off (works fine when on) my Monitor 2, the audio won't go through.

I've read up a bit on it, from my understanding, its something to with the monitor not doing the HDCP handshake, thus audio pass-through fails.

What's Sup Forums's take on this problem?

If this is a HDCP handshake issue, would a cheap $20 chinese splitter work fine to correct this? Supposedly some of them decrypt the HDCP signal and output as HDCP-less connection

Hmm I told it to size the partition to 80gb less than max size but it doesn't seem to have done anything.

if you're using ntfsresize by itself, it will only resize the volume, not also the partition
you probably want to use gparted, which does both

(to be clear gparted uses ntfsresize internally, it just also resize the partition with parted afterwards)

What's the best torrent client?

Best sub 5 inch smartphone?

Hmm ok. So now that I did use ntfsresize by itself what do I do?

you need to specify a partition

maybe you should stick to a gui (gparted)
manjaro should come with it, and you're in X, so there's no reason not to use it

just;
1. open gparted as root (sudo gparted)
2. select the disk in the top right dropdown box
3. right click > resize on the partition you want
4. set the new size, either by dragging the arrows on the graphic, or typing new values in the text boxes
5. click ok, then apply on the main window

Maybe someone can help me?
Asus PA238Q - high pitch noise coming from it whether it's on, standby and even when it's off. Can I do something about it? It triggers me a lot.

Uh cool, "calle" in the captcha!

>"Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered"
Only seems to happen on intensive games. Anything shitty like 2D games (Terraria) it's perfectly fine. But anything more intensive, even fucking Diablo 3 of all things and I get this shit.
I tried the usual things. Rolling back my Drivers. Doing clean installs. Complete uninstalls. Fiddling around with shit on the inside. Cleaning everything out.

Still happens. Black screen. Can still hear sound. Game is still apparently running. No looping, shit is actually happening. Just black screen. I alt+f4 and computer works fine. But I see that fucking error.

Looks like my copy of windows isn't genuine. I'm on Windows 7.

Any place I can get a free key to get this working again?

Do you *need* to use HDMI for audio?

Example a system has two SSD's and one HDD installed.

-If Windows is installed onto one of the SSD's, will software/video games installed onto the other SSD run slower? Do software run slower if they are installed in the harddrive that doesn't have Windows on it?

-Is there a name for a harddrive that has Windows installed?

-Will my system boot faster if I removed the HDD?

Thank you for any help.

>-If Windows is installed onto one of the SSD's, will software/video games installed onto the other SSD run slower?

No

>Do software run slower if they are installed in the harddrive that doesn't have Windows on it?

Hard drive? Yes. The other SSD? Nah, should be fine

>-Is there a name for a harddrive that has Windows installed?

Boot or system drive

>-Will my system boot faster if I removed the HDD?

No

No, no, the system drive.

As for the last question, it depends on how fast your bios loads. The hard drive has to spin up to be read by the bios, but if the bios takes longer to load than the HDD does to spin up, it doesn't matter. If, on the other hand, your bios loads very fast, it will have to wait for the HDD to spin up in order to identify it to the system.

Is there any way I can make it so whenever I access a specific webpage in my browser it instead opens a file in my computer (in that case a saved webpage I have)?

Can I just buy a hi-res monitor, chuck it into my cpu and expect it to work? Or do I need special voodoo magic hardware first?

If you have an Nvidia 900 series card like I do, you might have to roll your drivers back to before pascal launched-- like March.

You want a web browser... to open a web page?

Can FoolFuuka be set up in a virtualbox instance and how to connect to it after that?

file://Documents/page.html

Your CPU is far too small to fit a monitor inside it

I know, but will it work?

No it would break if you tried to put it in something that small

The integrated GPU has a maximum resolution. You can look that up or post your CPU model so someone else can.

Check what is the maxium resolution & framerate supported by your processors iGPU.

I think he wants to map a web adress to a file. So f.ex. accessing www.example.com/foo causes browser to load C:/foo.html instead.

No, I have modified the htlm of a page and saved it to my computer, I want this saved page to be opened whenever I access the original webpage in my browser (and avoid opening both).

So basically make the browser redirect a specific url to a file in the computer.

No, however digital audio would probably be clearer than audio analog transfers as there's no conversion between the two. Where as with regular 3.5mm cable, the sound card converts, then receiver would amplify/change the sound/etc.

However the difference would probably be minimal to not matter. The main point of HDMI was basically to go the "futuristic" route.

That's a weird use case but you can definitely do that with greasemonkey or something. Just redirect to your file whenever you visit the page. I'm not sure if that's wise though.

What kind of webpage are you modifying anyway

>What kind of webpage are you modifying anyway
he's probably trying to do some phishing with someone who uses/will use his computer

What's the fastest way to make my laptop's battery die

>gasoline
>light it

I use the chrome variant thanks for reminding me that I could just do that
I was trying to modify webpage elements with a script using the add on but I guess this method would be simpler.

Open the casing and short circuit the battery cells.

Does SSD rbrand matter? Which do you recommend?

Realize the image wasn't right. It was telling me i had to run chkdsk But I didn't really.
I've done it all in gparted now. Thankls.

Samsung drives are pretty much the best ones on the market right now. Buy 850 EVO or 960 EVO.

How come when I buy, say, a 1TB SSD and I put it into my PC its only got like 988 gbs on it? This is the case with every one of my hard drives and solid state drives.

I need some software to record video from my laptop webcam. It doesn't have to be super stealthy, it should just still record when I tab away or minimize it.

I'm a graduate from a pretty ok school for CS.
I've been looking for a job for a while now. Probably due to my not being involved with a lot of stuff beyond an internship,
and my gpa is like 2.5 or something.

I realize now that after 4 months of looking and failing, I should probably be working on some open source project.
I usually feel dumb whenever I talk with other people who do CS. Recently, i misunderstood what back end and front end even meant.

How do I become this "full stack" developer type person?
I'm interested in learning a lot more and dedicating myself to computer science and programming, but I just want a job first that will
use my skills in software.

Guys how do I get greasemonkey/tampermonkey to match a webpage which uses a sessionID? (url changes every login).

Okay looks like my iGPU supports 2560x1440. I also have nvidia that can support up to 4k so I think I'm safe.

Thanks familia.

Best phone under $100? The best one i've found is "Samsung Galaxy on5". I don't use data or texting or anything so i don't care about it being locked or not.

Maybe get location href and then redirect if it matches a string? Like if it's
example.com/page/sessionId=asdfkjalkj7e54kj12as
just check if it has example.com/page.

Or if you really are trying to phish, just hijack whatever form is already there.

Ok so continuing on from here. Trying to install with the Calamares installer I get some error when doing manual partitioning (only other option being erase drive which I don't want to do).
It tells me it fails to add a partition. But looking at gparted it added two of them just fine. I'm a bit confused as to why this might be.

The basic setup i had was one fat32 partition for EFI boot, 500mb with the flags 'boot' and 'ESP' (as the installer prompted me to do). One 16gb partition for root with just 'root' as a flag, ext4.
One partition for home, no flags also ext4.
No freespace left.
I end up with it having created the 16gb partition and the 500mb partition.
I've repeated this a couple times just to see and it has used up a varying amount of space on the 16gb partition. 300mb-4gb.

Don't have any idea of what to do.

At the moment I'm tethering on my phone because the place I'm at doesn't have wifi.

I noticed certain sites won't load on my tethered connection, for example, Playonlinux. When I go to my college and use the connection there, it loads up fine, so it's on my end. I assume that those sites don't allow 3G/LTE connections to their site for some reason.

What's the best way to get around this? Really nee

It's a catch 22, user. Most of the experience you need to become this 'full stack dev' are the ones you got from projects/jobs. Just reading/studying things doesn't get you there. You need to do it too.

I suggest you start a project that interests you. You'll learn things along the way. If you really want a job though, maybe you can try one of those indian job websites. It'll help you move things forward, learn and earn at the same time.

So, I fell for the password manager meme and switched all of my stupidly weak and easy to remember passwords for 50-digit random strings using Unix's pass.

But now I got logged out of all of my accounts on my Android smartphone and it's highly unpractical to type the new passwords. So what do I do now, is there a password manager for Android that's compatible with pass, and is there a tutorial on how to migrate all of the new passwords to my smartphone? Pls no bully I'm kind of new to this.

Differences between Cherry MX Greens and Gateron Greens? I hear a lot of people say Gaterons are smoother and higher quality.

Is there such thing as a universal laptop charger with multiple or removable heads?

Foobar writes up gigabytes on my SSD every time I try to access my music library on a HDD. How do I stop it from doing this? Just stick with using windows explorer to access files individually instead of trying to load them all up at once?

Yeah, I remember doing a laptop section back in college last year, teacher had one. Funny enough, it didn't have Lenovo or HP's most common charger heads, but it did allow you to switch wattage (or voltage? Not sure)

how to stay away from scams and buy 2nd hand hardware responsibly on ebay (europe) ?
looking for a second hand GTX 970 and the prices are so good i cant help but feel cautious

Need another HDD. 1TB isn't enough. Is 4TB the way to go nowadays or what

No, 1TB for reliability.
Anything over 2TB can be unreliable.

Get a HGST or WD 4TB if you really want one.

Why distro are linked as fuck with the package manager, could We install an other package manager on a distro (Like Pacman on debian).
Is there any sens to want a package manager on openBsd while most of the poeple just take sources ?

ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Port-10-100-1000M-PCI-E-1X-Intel82540-Gigabit-Server-Adapter-Network-Card-/142051377222?hash=item2112ec0046:g:brIAAOSwGXtXg1p~
Is this a decent card for a small home server?

The card I'm upgrading from is a shitty 100mbps integrated card. The main reason I'm upgrading is to get gigabit speeds and two ports.

Nvm just found out a solution, I had to install OpenKeychain and Password Store.

I'm on a macbook running 10.9.5.
Having the wifi on immediately breaks audio on the computer when I'm on my school's network.
Turning wifi off fixes it. Because it only happens on school network my theory is it's all the Airplay devices nearby/on the network.
Is there any way to completely shut down airplay and related services?
I've tried
sudo chmod 000 /System/Library/CoreServices/AirPlayUIAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/AirPlayUIAgent
And it doesn't seem to work.
I also tried blocking down Bonjour but it made most websites stop loading for some reason.

>I know small files take longer to copy
No they dont.

How do I simulate 1000 requests / minute or more for my web app? I need to them queue them so 1001st gets queued. MSMQ or RabbitMQ ?

My phone only charges to 92%

it's a lg G5. How do I fix it?

What's some stuff to add lads got about 500-600 to spend, going to use the arduino and RFID to make a GSM alarm, also looking for other project ideas

How do I clear my mind so I can fall asleep at night?

Take care of your shit instead of putting it off

Drain it to 0% and try charging it again.

I can't include/match the URL after sessionID=xxx
I used sessionID=*
but it's not working.

But I'm filled with regrets from the past that I can't do anything about.

Wait, do you need the sessionID for something?

>that I can't do anything about.
Then fucking get over it and don't do the same shit again

I just fell fot the meme and installed Windows 10 because W7 was giving me too much problems after all its shit, and I don't want to install any GNU/linux as my main PC is for gayming shit, and light work like write some documents sometimes.

What's the better way to debloat it? I found github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10 and another Sup Forums W10 debloater. Wich is better? or should I use both?

Deluge

To redirect the url.
But since it keeps changing because of the sessionID that's why it isn't working I guess.

I just got a new monitor,and a friend told me i should calibrate it,how and what is that,is it necessary,will it make much of a difference?

My screen is the LG 23MP68VQ-P

Do you have a specific modified page per session? If not just do something

if(window.location.href.indexOf("example.com") > -1){
// redirect shit
}

Trying to recover a lost ext4 partition with testdisk, but:

The following partitions can't be recovered (testdisk)

What do?

the url before logging in:
blablabla.com/login/
and after:
blablabla.com/yyyyy/zzzz;jsessionid=xxxxxxxx

a string of x characters is generated upon login and it changes once the user access a certain area within the website and then the sessionid remains the same until the user logs out and logs back in again.

Should I undervolt my MSI RX480? I heard reference designs should be undervolted but what about aftermarket cards?

calibration is just setting how the monitor displays things like color brightness and shit. it's a black hole. You'll never be satisfied once you start it. Most of the time default settings should work okay with maybe minor adjustments to brigtness.

It's important if you're doing work where colors are crucial like photos or drawing. It's annoying if you have a multi-monitor setup because it's hard to make them matchwithout spending time or possible money. Otherwise, you can stick to default.

okay thanks,i wont go down that rabbit hole,im having trouble keeping up with habits as it is.

oh and /login/ remains so after logging in it's actually:
www.blablabla.com/login/zzzz;jsessionid=xxxxxxx

what's the best linux distro to run solely off of an 8gb USB drive?

Using an old laptop without a hard drive (6gb RAM, x64). I need to be able to save a gig or two of data - a 'system on a stick' if you will.

Oh wait so you want to redirect only after login?

I've only tried fedora and it was alright. It was clunky but usable in my old-old 2gb ram netbook so you might have better luck.

exactly.

Tails.

If 'sessionId' only appears after login then just match that string like

var url = window.location.href;
if(url.indexOf("example.com") > -1 && //if match url
url.indexOf("sessionId") > -1){ // if the word 'sessionId' exists
// redirect shit
}

or something

Is it normal for canned air to shot, water/liquid?

So I tried windows 8.1 and I fucking hated it and tried uninstalling it completely from my computer so that I could install inlux, but after formatting the hard drive and rebooting the system my computer still tries to load windows 8.

This happens no matter what. I even put a linux distro iso onto my usb as a bootable device and changed the UEFI system boot order so that it would run off of the USB so that I could install linux and it still defaults to Windows 8.1.

I also disabled windows 8/8.1/10 WHQL support in the BIOS configuration and it still does it.

Are you not able to fucking get rid of Windows 8.1 after installing it? What do I do?

Apparently yes, and it evaporates quickly so i guess its not a problem.

Change boot order user.

Windows boot manager has a bigger priority than your USB in the boot order.

what are you planning on doing on said laptop?
just curious what you can do with a 8gig hard drive.

Im trying.to install my new SSD. It shows up in the bios but not on Windows 7. I tried looking in the partition section but it's not there

Send help

I did. USB Key is the first on the boot order list.