Relative newbie here, red pill me on TOR

Relative newbie here, red pill me on TOR.

Other urls found in this thread:

torproject.org/about/torusers.html.en
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

back to pol

severe lack of memes, I see no point in using it

What?

Using Tor just makes you a target for investigation, you'll be watched more closely for every second you aren't using Tor.

Just stop doing illegal shit.

Fuck off pedo

This

Talked to a good friend of mine who use to work with the FBI a while back and he said the same thing

Quit doing illegal shit OP

>using TOR means you're a criminal
I just want muh privacy user.

>you'll be watched more closely for every second you aren't using TOR
What if I always used it?

Just use clearnet, your data will be lost in petabytes of normie traffic

did someone say TOR?

An excellent shibboleth for someone who doesn't know what they're talking about: The Onion Router is an acronym, but the software is called Tor, not TOR.

The official project website has a perfectly fine amount of documentation.

It's the world's most popular anonymity/anti-censorship system, but it is not a magic panacea. Use together with appropriate operational security. Still don't do stupid shit like visit CP forums (because the FBI will hack them and plant 0days targeted to the Tor Browser Bundle on them), and if your threat model includes governments specifically interested in you, consider what other steps you can take.

Particularly avoid accessing unencrypted/unauthenticated http: websites via Tor exit nodes. If you are the only person using Tor in your area, you might stick out a bit to your ISP. If Tor is illegal where you are, use a bridge and be careful.

>I just want muh privacy user.
It's not my fault OP, it's just how the government works.

>What if I always used it?
Very impractical.

Give me a break user, that's pretty nitpicky.

So if your threat model did include governments interested in you, could you avoid them with proper procedures or is that just unrealistic?

>red pill
we have a containment board for you, please go there.

It's a good term user.

They also specifically target everyone else for investigation. It's just dragnet everything now.

It's one of the only things even major intelligence agencies working together have a tremendous amount of trouble breaking, even at scale.

What's on either end of it, however, is where things are not as strong, so that's where efforts tend to be targeted: recently the FBI has been hacking one of the few remaining CP-hosting .onion sites via vulnerabilities in the software running the websites (nothing to do with Tor, just proxied through Tor), and are again deploying 0days with a "NIT" (non-persistent IP address leaker payload) being used in Firefox ESR as used in the Tor Browser Bundle, as was used previously in the operation against Tormail (because Snowden) and the rest of Freedom Hosting (because CP), and they will do this more frequently going forward now that they actually have legislative permission. GCHQ probably will do, again now that they have legislative permission to do that.

Tor is also kind of slow, but it's nowhere near as bad as some other anonymity systems, there's a lot of donated bandwidth.

One of the problems in using Tor all the time is that everyone uses it: like any popular outproxy but a bit worse, Tor exit nodes tend to be used for all kinds of crappy spam, so tend to be banned from posting many places - you won't be able to post from one here, for example.

You will also encounter more CAPTCHAs, particularly from CloudFlare (ugh), although they have a plan to make those less shit.

Tor works. And it works really fucking well, which is why oppressive governments over the world hate the shit out of it.

>shibboleth
Take your jewologisms somewhere else

Related question, what civilized governments aren't oppressive? Do they exist?

Switzerland doesn't seem to hate it.

Using Tor does actually make a criminal, by US law.
Seriously, they passed a law saying that all Tor users are criminals fairly recently.

Isn't Switzerland Five Eyes though?

Are you fucking serious?

>Are you fucking serious?
Partially- Using Tor is now probable cause for the FBI to warrantlessly penetrate your computer.
And it's not passed yet, but do you honestly think it has a chance of not being passed?

Look up rule 41. It's a little different (and worse, actually) than what I framed it as.

It certainly is - but it oddly seems to be a pretty good indication.

For some reason everyone who doesn't have a clue about Tor, or spread rumours which make no actual sense about it (at least a few of whom work for GCHQ's JTRIG, professional HM Government shitposters) tend to spell it ALLCAPS, but people like who know what they're talking about don't.

If your threat model includes governments interested in you, use of Tor (and its usefully big anonymity set) would definitely be one part of your nutritious breakfast - along with all the other good operational security measures you could think of, such as avoiding phones as much as is practical (easy location correlation); very careful information compartmentation; buying your computers in-box with cash from stores away from where you are and wiping/dumping/'burning' them once done; air-gapped computers; trying to avoid things with proprietary firmware that's hard to audit; hardened operating systems like Whonix or Qubes (which also tend to use Tor); non-persistent systems like Tails and so on and so on, including every traditional opsec measure you can think of, up to and including Biggie Smalls' Ten Crack Commandments and a nice big cup of STFU.

And, most importantly, remembering that absolutely none of these measures, including Tor, are perfect, so plan ahead for what to do in case of failures of each of these layers.

Bottom line: you can make their life utter hell, but eventually a determined, well-funded, persistent government attacker is very likely going to fuck you up no matter what you do - they only have to succeed against you once, but you have to win every time, and if they manage to find you in person, encryption won't protect you against a wrench and your kneecaps/wet towel and a bathtub/doorknob in a sock/nitrogen in a duffel bag/Hellfire rockets in your face.

No, FVEY = US UK NZ AU CA, not CH

Not quite: using Tor *to log into a CP site*, however, is?

So, how long till US is a shameless dictatorship?

What is the best way to set up several exit nodes in Romania?
I'm giving the gypsy country as an example because of the cheap and fast internet.

>Using Tor is probable cause
This is not any truer now than it was before the rule was introduced.

If you're using Tor (or a VPN) to commit a crime, LEAs no longer have to determine where you're connecting from in order to get a warrant from a judge in that district.

They can now get a warrant from a judge in the district where the crime is detected, and magistrate judges can grant these "general hacking" warrants whereas before it was only federal judges that could do so.

I recommend reading the rule itself rather than relying on opinionated interpretations.

hmm I would say since 60 years if not more

Don't bother anymore. Rule 41 is passed, your data will get siezed by the government if using Tor now.

genuinely curious here, privacy from what exactly? the government?

>red pill me
Kill yourself.

it was a supreme court thing, not a law actually being passed
but yes, it's real and it's awful, you autistic fuckers need to write your congressmen

and by real I mean I hope is right though, but that's still a little sketchy, I don't like the idea of remotely and covertly infiltrating a computer owned by a private citizen of your own country

>The first rule of TOR is we do not talk about TOR

>The second rule of TOR is we do NOT TALK ABOUT TOR.

He has a lock on the front door of his house. He MUST be doing illegal shit. Fucking kys faggot.

The gubment, corporations, everyone really.

I can't wait to see our new president strip away our freedoms one at a time in the name of security.

Apublebaum was an SJW sex predator.

I read about this earlier and it sparked my interest.
Can I spark a lot of diplomatic fuzz by hijacking a gubment computer in state A , let it do illegal shit "in" Burgertopia, get them to seize "me" and subsequently trap them into compromising state A's infrastructure?

the cool kids are on i2p and Monero now.

>lack of memes
Means there's no newfags on darknets.

Fuck Sup Forumstards and fuck Trump

>Just stop doing illegal shit
torproject.org/about/torusers.html.en

>Normal people use Tor

>They protect their privacy from unscrupulous marketers and identity thieves.
Internet Service Providers (ISPs) sell your Internet browsing records to marketers or anyone else willing to pay for it. ISPs typically say that they anonymize the data by not providing personally identifiable information, but this has proven incorrect. A full record of every site you visit, the text of every search you perform, and potentially userid and even password information can still be part of this data. In addition to your ISP, the websites (and search engines) you visit have their own logs, containing the same or more information.

>They protect their communications from irresponsible corporations.
All over the Internet, Tor is being recommended to people newly concerned about their privacy in the face of increasing breaches and betrayals of private data. From lost backup tapes, to giving away the data to researchers, your data is often not well protected by those you are supposed to trust to keep it safe.

>They protect their children online.
You've told your kids they shouldn't share personally identifying information online, but they may be sharing their location simply by not concealing their IP address. Increasingly, IP addresses can be literally mapped to a city or even street location, and can reveal other information about how you are connecting to the Internet. In the United States, the government is pushing to make this mapping increasingly precise.

>They research sensitive topics.
There's a wealth of information available online. But perhaps in your country, access to information on AIDS, birth control, Tibetan culture, or world religions is behind a national firewall.
>They skirt surveillance.
Even harmless web browsing can sometimes raise red flags for suspicious observers. Using Tor protects your privacy by making it extremely dificult for an observer to correlate the sites you visit with your physical-world identity.
>They circumvent censorship.
If you live in a country that has ever blocked Facebook or Youtube, you might need to use Tor to get basic internet functionality.

>Journalists and their audience use Tor

Reporters without Borders tracks Internet prisoners of conscience and jailed or harmed journalists all over the world. They advise journalists, sources, bloggers, and dissidents to use Tor to ensure their privacy and safety.
The US International Broadcasting Bureau (Voice of America/Radio Free Europe/Radio Free Asia) supports Tor development to help Internet users in countries without safe access to free media. Tor preserves the ability of persons behind national firewalls or under the surveillance of repressive regimes to obtain a global perspective on controversial topics including democracy, economics and religion.
Citizen journalists in China use Tor to write about local events to encourage social change and political reform.
Citizens and journalists in Internet black holes use Tor to research state propaganda and opposing viewpoints, to file stories with non-State controlled media, and to avoid risking the personal consequences of intellectual curiosity.

>i2p
Mah nigga