At what age is it too late to go back for a degree in computer science?

At what age is it too late to go back for a degree in computer science?

>go back
it's already too late
if you haven't been writing code as a grade-schooler and haven't got a portfolio of diverse projects by high school you're fucked

You might as well say at what age is it too late to become a concert pianist
if you aren't already, you'll never be one

It's not too late. Computing was invented by a bunch of adults.

It doesn't matter. Aren't you old enough to know that?

Depends on you and your dedication, if you're an average person don't even bother past 25.

Mu friend just graduated with a degree in game design, he's 41. He's already landed a job.

An entry level job at 41 is pretty trash though.

Would it matter if I do 2 years of community college beforehand?

Depends of the background of the person

If he's average but in S(notT)EM then early 40's and can finish it easily
If he's average and only has highschool/non STEM degree then 28

after you die

What age are you for starts?

If you're not already exploring and tinkering and experimenting and learning on your own then you need to do something else.

Programming is going to very quickly become a shitty career with low pay thanks to the hordes of pajeets and every little faggot in the Western countries going in for CS.

This

And this will be heretic to Sup Forums but CS is a very glorified major and will start to have a pay like the average /gd/ and unless you inmediately start getting a masters, you will forever become a codemonkey or teach "CS" to some kids at some urban school
It's pretty similar to Physics: Yes, you're smart and all but get a Masters/PhD or have some courses in finance or else you will be forever teaching at a public middle/highschool with shit kids that won't learn shit

This is why i belive EE/CE is the Sup Forums major desu

28 lol why not be more specific like 28, 4 months, and 6 days.

this

Because that's where (if you have a non-STEM degree) you start to work more on w/e you majored in and no way in hell you will learn CS when you are working your ass off on w/e low ass pay degree you got

I cannot know about Business though, but it's similart to the STEM guys, they can learn quickly if they are into smart business major like finance, econ or accounting

>At what age is it too late to go back for a degree in computer science?

Whatever age you die at + 1 year

Seriously, there are 50 year olds in college classes, education isn't fucking age limited you mong.

better than digging ditches isnt it

You sound like you're 17 or something

>I cannot know about Business though
MIS is easy as shit but you have to put up with business majors

>for a degree in computer science

Why the fuck would you want something so worthless. Just study the material on your own.

>he doesn't know

When you have kids to raise. As long as you don't have kids or they're 18 and you kicked them out then you can go get that degree whenever the fuck you want to.

Sure you'll struggle at 40-60 but it's not impossible to git gud as long as you are dedicated and work hard toward your goals.

Most of the pajeets I come across are "self-taught" to a large degree.

90% of our courses pajeets and trash get washed out when our college did formal methods and language (predicate calc etc) in 2nd yr.

You rarely see them make it the full 4 years, and they're usually unemployable anyway because they coast/cheat their way through.

Same deal with the girls in CS.

Almost any college degree you can coast or cheat your way through but people see through it in an instant.

When I sit down with other programmers there's always red flags like null pointers or general lack of awareness of what the program is doing that you can identify.

CS is meme enough, but reputable colleges still teach good courses imo and a good programmer is still pretty valuable to a lot of people I'd say especially if they have a broad skill set that involves low level assembly and high level languages.

Turned 22 a week ago. Attended college for 2 1/2 years but performed poorly (took calculus though, as well as an intro programming course I aced, but was majoring in a humanity for thoughts of law school). After leaving I became obsessed with figuring out why I did so badly. My study habits were terrible, health was poor, anxiety was tremendous, and I'm methodically fixing all of these before deciding if I want to head back.

Yesterday

Thank you for posting that image user do you mind if I save it?

>22 a week ago

why would it be too late for you to get a CS degree if you're 22? People go back to school at a later age and transition to med school. It's never too late to get a decent degree.

As far as CC, no, it does not matter. In fact, I'd recommend it. Take slow steps and develop your study habits while saving money. Absolutely nobody cares if you went to a CC as long as you transfer to a decent uni and excel while also getting internships.

>do you mind if I save it?

what did he mean by this?

I was just providing the honorable user an opportunity to express any qualms he may have experienced as the thought of me saving his generously shared image file onto my hard drive bounced around his happy little noggin. :)

Personally, I started out when I was 19, then got sidetracked by working, finally realized I'm always going to be paid shittily unless I get a degree, and I reconnected with my old alma mater at the age of 41.

It was tough getting back into learning stuff bulkwise, and all the students around me were half my age and seemed to be OK with just 4 hours of sleep at night.

But I finally made it, even with good grades, and now that I have my university diploma I can say: It's not too late to go back in the mid-40s.

Also, concerning social student life: CS students don't necessarily discount you on the base of your age, they're more interested in what you know.

>be me
>26 year old in 1st year comp sci
>see pajeet tier "classmate" install uTorrent as a client
>kek

Being good with computers has nothing to do with how anything.

Retards always gonna retard.

>taking care of myself
>a healthy hygiene, puberty and personal curriculum for young people with autism
kek

>tfw no job since years after getting a degree

Who are you quoting

Im in a similar boat. However i work a full time min wage job and live alone so idk what to do

That's acceptable only if it's 2.2

20s is ok, even late 30s

the real question should be: is it worth getting a degree?

it's an expensive investment plus are you really prepared to commit + focus for that long? if so then it might be worth it, otherwise look at other paths

comp sci is basically a meme career at this point, but still, you'll at least be somewhat employable once the automation revolution hits, and one step ahead of the low skilled normies who don't know what's coming

117 years old

>it's an expensive investment
Only in anglo countries really.

Maybe 50. Nobody will hire you if you don't have connections/amazing portfolio at that age.

Programming never will be that popular.

>implying these books will get you anywhere

>Programming never will be that popular.

We're moving towards a future where all secondary school grads will have learnt programming.

Day laborers dig ditches from temp work offices. Illegals, drunks, addicts, and whatever else.

>got my bachelor's in CE 2 days ago
>already enrolled for a master's
>want to go study physics instead but my math knowledge is shit
The web development is actually killing both my desire to work further in IT and my will to live, and it's sadly pretty much the only starting job you're able to get here
I just hope I won't be too late when I finally get fed up with this bullshit

lmao 22 is still young af.

FWIW Most of what I picked up for compsci was useless before I even got out. I didn't learn anything with those classes. I learned on my own running my own VOIP/routers or messing with some used cisco gear. I did it on my own. The basic foundations of english/math/biology can all be had for the cheap at any community college or high school. I also picked up a associates in biz because the courses were laughable. This was in the 90's and I went to Illinois (UoI).

And your point?

The point is to dive into it and explore for yourself and others who are likeminded. Don't rely on the school to teach you anything. Get real experience on your own. I'd hire a kid who actually knew what they were doing despite no degree. The paper is worthless to me.

I was 23 when I started my CS masters. I was already too old back then, everyone else was 21.

imma start sys engineering at 26

any thoughts on being too late for it? (I do get an intermediate degree as a sys analyst)

were you working in IT before studying? was it hard to get a job?

It's not like any average school have the manpower to teach kids anything beyond Scratch. I'm not against it, but currently in my country the CS universities have declining numbers.

not with the math/science teaching standard in the west. good, capable teachers are very much the exception.

tell me thats not true
planning to do my masters in my 30s

Imho the average student is and will be way too retarded for this.

If it interests you, pursue it. The hardest part of college is figuring point what you want to do. And with a STEM degree you won't have much of an issue transitioning to other jobs if you lose interest. Computer sci can be applied to almost anything

>no SICP

i should read that ;d

There's this saying:

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago
The second bed time is right now.

Are you an employer?

>You rarely see them make it the full 4 years, and they're usually unemployable anyway because they coast/cheat their way through.
I thought that pajeets cheating was just a thing at my school. We had a test once where they collectively did it through google docs.

Thankfully they aren't in CS, they are in the designated pajeet major of SE.

If you don't already dream in code you're never going to make it.

Never op

As long as you can afford it.
>Never

Dead

t. retarded memer

Because we don't challenge them

That's true. Kids are much more adept to learning new things quickly.
Like how they can pick up two languages at the same time without much trouble. Their brain is still flexible.
Shit I wish I got to do all that stuff at a young age. I'd be much more well off.