previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

keyclack.com/product-category/group-buys/xda-milestone/
keyboard-layout-editor.com/
builder.swillkb.com/
github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard)
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=680
outletpc.com/tz8311-rosewill-rk-9000v2-br-mechanical-keyboard.html
madepc.com/Cooler-Master-Quick-Fire-Xti-USB-Mechanical-Gaming-p/451004068-00.html
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1329
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1947
mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&brand=&switch=9&size=&led=&capmat=&capprint=&model=&availability=&show_kb=off&show_kb=on&show_acc=off&show_acc=on
pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-pbt-abs-blank-keycap-sets/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for cheap Chinese keyboards
Anyone else have a royal kludge? I quite like mine.

XDA groupbuy for anyone interested

keyclack.com/product-category/group-buys/xda-milestone/

I think they look pretty shitty compared to SP's molds, but at least the monopoly is breaking

>zealios are the way to your feelios edition
you have to go back edition

I wish my clueboard would get shipped
I want something to do

Someone had a question

fuck me they moved it to Dec 7!

I was sure it was Nov 30th

now I hate Amazon even more for not shipping my keyboard

New threads should be announced on the old thread, OP.

I guess I'll have to use a plate. Probably going to be metal. I can really punish my keyboards sometimes.

It was me. I'm probably gonna ask some questions as I go along researching for my first keyboard. I can start with a couple.

How feasible is it for a beginner to make a wooden case for a keyboard?

Should I stick to a non-custom pcb for my first kb? Is it better to use a pcb+plate instead of just wiring everything (while still using plate).

What tools and woodworking experience do you have?

Minimal experience (sanding, varnishing).
Will have access to band saws, circular table saws, maybe a planer. I may have assistance, but I'd prefer to do it on my own.

You can probably do a layered style one with the band saw, but it'd be easier to make a one-piece case with a router.

For the layered style, just decide what layout you want, use keyboard-layout-editor.com/ to make it, then use builder.swillkb.com/ to generate CAD files for it that you can use as a template when cutting.

DAS 4C Professional for £110

Should I get it to replace my K95?

I really don't like reds and I wanted something a bit more compact and tasteful

So I'm an idiot and new to this stuff. Will this fit mx switches and what is the difference between this compared to oem, can I keep oem modifiers and use these for alphas or would it look like shit?

What's the purpose of the "das keyboard" logo on the top left of this keyboard. It just takes up space, couldn't they put it somewhere else?

I want a 40%. Planck was too weird for me. Should I go Atreus or minivan?

Yes it's designed for MX switches. The vast majority of aftermarket keycaps do, if it doesn't specifically say "Alps mount" or "Topre mount" it's probably MX.

XDA is very different to OEM. OEM is a medium profile sculptured layout (each row of keys is it a different angle that's supposedly more comfortable), XDA is a low profile flat layout (all rows are at the same angle, and the keycaps themselves don't get as high). I would not recommend mixing OEM and XDA.

Making a wooden case is perfectly feasible. Pic related is my first build and the first time I worked with wood in at least five years. All I used for this was an oscillating tool and a chisel (and a hammer).

I'd almost recommend handwiring since you'll learn how a keyboard matrix works that way, but it's also a pain and quite susceptible to faults that will make shit not work and be a pain to troubleshoot. You can either get some pre-made PCB, or design your own and have it printed. Other than that, I could mill you one, I'll be starting with milling PCBs anyway quite soon and the material is dirt cheap. Though I'd say hand-wiring is still a fun experience.

Unless you have a 3D printer or a laser cutter available, I'd get a laser-cut plate somewhere that offers that kind of service.

Kind of tempted to pick up the Blackwidow x, my first choice with the Shine 5, but I'm not really happy with the quality of my Shine 3

Convince me otherwise Sup Forums

I have access to a laser printer, but I think it's too small. Will probably laser cut a metal plate.

I will research hand wiring and follow that route then. Any pcb programming required?

Thanks man, those links will come in handy.

I meant 3d printer

I'm not sure what you mean with "pcb programming", but you'll have to set up the the firmware for your controller.

Most people use the TMK firmware or a variant thereof, matt3o wrote a guide on the TMK firmware over at deskthority.

For handwiring you'll have to buy a Teensy 2.0 (or larger if you need more pins, total number of pins needed = number of rows of keys + number of columns of keys), program hasu's TMK firmware (github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard) for it and flash the files to the teensy.

My Corsair K70 is beginning to doublestrike keys, and I don't game much anymore. Looking to replace it with something more typing oriented .

Rather not have LEDs and will probably throw blank keycaps on it. Tenkeyless is ideal, media buttons would be nice but not important.

Budget is ~$120.

>buying Razer

Neck yourself.

It's the next 1337 Gaym3r keyboard. They're complete trash. On par with Razer.

You can get arduino mini clones with an atmega32u4 for about four or five bucks on aliexpress. They provide the same functionality as a teensy. Only part I'm not quite sure about is flashing the firmware.

>Corshit fag talking shit about razer
Ok user

>implying I haven't learned my lesson

Stay away from Razer.
>kiddiesize keyboard fans talking shit
Ok

Sorry, I can't hear you over my numpad

And he soon will. You shouldn't tell people to kill themselves just because they're as stupid now as you once were.

Thank you for the explanation. Guess I'll pass on the weeb caps, I don't care for the modifiers.

This thread is gold, thanks a lot.

Cheap Gateron switch tester anywhere?

My, respectively our, pleasure. Come back any time.

that doesn't look like wood

I'm glad to hear that, but it actually is.

Smooth as fuck. I'd actually like my case to be more wood-like and dark, maybe with some knots and everything.

Is there a big difference in cherry vs gateron blues?

you can use oils and finishes to darken it and highlight the grain or whatever

or just start with some nice hardwood instead of softwood if you have the tools for it

Thanks!

The wooden texture has become a bit more apparent after I lacquered it, though it doesn't seem to show that well on pictures. You can see it quite well in person though.

recommended mechanical keyboard around $100?

Prefer Brown or Blue.

Full keyboard

How many boards do you actually have? And why haven't you sold all of them once you got the glorious HHKB. Is that not your favourite board?!

>How many boards do you actually have?
Nine, though three of them aren't really in working condition due to a variety of reasons.

>why haven't you sold all of them once you got the glorious HHKB
Why would I, the others still get used.

>Is that not your favourite board?!
Not really, had you asked me about a week ago, I'd have said that the TADA68 is my favorite, but I've actually been using my HHKB again as of the past few days. I don't really have a favorite.

What switches does your TADA68 have?

Daily reminder that the best switch ever built(capacative BS) came out in 1981. Nothing today can even come close to this. This mechanical keyboard "community" is a fucking joke holy shit

>Not Topre
Stop

he uses gateron clears

>topre
>superior to capacitive BS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Like the other user said, gateron clears.

Joke's on you, I'm nine boards in and I've been laughing ever since the first.

>Budget
~$150
>Location (continent at least)
USA
>Preferred switch type
MX Brown
>Layout
QWERTY
>Form factor
100% Full-Size
>Backlight
Doesn't matter

mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=680
I was thinking about the Deck Hassium Pro since it ticks off my requirements and comes with PBT Doubleshots. I've read however, that they are made by Tai-Hao which is considered lower quality/thin according to the pastebin in the OP.

Would that be alright, or should I consider a cheaper main board like one of these in the $60-80 range:
outletpc.com/tz8311-rosewill-rk-9000v2-br-mechanical-keyboard.html
madepc.com/Cooler-Master-Quick-Fire-Xti-USB-Mechanical-Gaming-p/451004068-00.html

plus one of these Vortex PBT/Doubleshot keycap sets (assuming their profiles are compatible) for $40:
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1329
mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1947

Or is there a different model/suggestion I should look at?

Get a Ducky One with dyesubbed PBT caps with something else than cherry browns.

Non contact switches are superior.

>Windows 10

You'd think someone with taste in keyboards who's also posting on Sup Forums 24/7 would know better.

>something else than cherry browns.
This is going to be my first mech so I didn't want to pick a very exotic flavor switch. I'll keep the Ducky One in mind when it's released.

Also the Shine 6 will have PBT Doubleshots as well, what do you think about it? Where does the company's keycaps generally fit in with Vortex, Tai-Hao, etc?

Where do I find a keyboard with cherry mx clear switches

I currently have browns but feel they are to lite but blues are too loud

>what do

make your own

then i have buy a bunch of shit

>soldering kit and a bunch of shit

threadly reminder that the best keyboard ever made uses rubber dome technology.

muh proprietary industry standard software

The Ducky one has been released already.

PBT doubleshots tend to have shitty legends. We'll see how they turn out once they're released, but for doubleshots: ABS > PBT

What this guy said Go buy a bunch of shit if need be.
Or just go buy a keyboard with clears, they're not that difficult to find. Though building one will be more fun.

WASD

or make your own

ISO layout is absolutely shite. All I want is these keys for my Pok3r in a UK layout.

>violentlyshakinggreenfrog.jpg
>mfw

atreus will probably also be too weird for you, but it's a great keyboard

just use ansi
it's objectively superior anyway

>Budget
175$
>Location (continent at least)
USA
>Preferred switch type
MX Clear or MX Browns
>Layout
QWERTY
>Form factor
TKL
>Backlight
sure
>Previous/current keyboards
ibm model m + pok3r vortex 3

I'm sure it is...
but that means I've got to sell my existing one and buy a new Pok3r. Too much hassle I imagine.

This is a really poor attempt at trolling user.

>muh vm

where do i find one

>what's a good brand

>it might be fun but i live in a small apt and don't really have the space to tinker with all that stuff / i wish though

I've used GNU/Linux previously and I see the appeal in it.
If something breaks for no apparent reason, I don't want to sift through forums to find a solution to my problem. I don't want to spend time fixing mistakes that I or others made that have no obvious solution.

Not to say that BotnetOS doesn't have problems like these, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as it did with GNU/Linux. I can very much see the appeal in tinkering with your OS, but I'd rather spend my time dealing with hardware rather than software, or at least deal with fixing my own software instead of the software of others.

I live in my room. The only thing you need is half a desk and some basic tools.

Depends on what you're looking for, mechanicalkeyboards.com has a bunch of different keyboards with clears.

mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=&brand=&switch=9&size=&led=&capmat=&capprint=&model=&availability=&show_kb=off&show_kb=on&show_acc=off&show_acc=on

wtf china

>left hand navigation

Alps caps when?

I second this.

The only good alps caps that I've come across and that you can actually find without paying out of your ass are those on old apple keyboards

never
matias can't even make good copies of the switches

Is this alps mount?

After good topre caps

Topre has MX-style sliders though

Alps gets nothing.

I got the Sakura reds for these
I have no idea about the quality of the caps themselves aside from them being PBT

but cant wait till fucking March to get them

Just ordered a switch tester for 15 dollars with all 9 switches. Finally I can decide what to get.

no topre no liife

no tester, no topre

what do you mean? do you have an argument as to how it's not the best keyboard ever or are you just stuttering as your mechanical-switch circlejerk worldview is being shattered?

your keyboard has less features than this one. features that would be considered necessary if people were taught to use them.

so, this is what autism looks like...

What does /mkg/ think about the Corsair Strafe RGB Keyboard w/ MX Silent Switches

Features such as?

no, autism is spending hundreds of dollars on keyboards because bandwagons and they sound funny when you push on the keys so that you can show them to anonymous people on lolicon image boards for internet points.

on-board remapping and macro support, requires only as many key presses as the buttons you are remapping/setting a macro on +2, no need for slow UI. objectively makes repetitive tasks faster.

>no tester, no topre
Coolermaster has a tester with also topre

Hmm, so until the verdict comes in for the Shine 6's PBT DSs, you can get either get the One in ABS Doubleshots (Advantage to a cleaner, more durable character legend), or PBT Dye-Sublimation (Advantage to keycap texture durability).

So overall is PBT Dye Sub > ABS Doubleshot, currently?

What is the cheapest blank SP DSA set? Is there one under 65€ for an ergodox?

>corsair
see the FAQ

Are there any decent simple mechanical numpads with standard layouts, preferably programmable?

I have a Ducky One with PBT keycaps and I love it. Now it should be noted that dye-sub legends do have a weakness and that is bleaching. It can be avoided by not leaving your keyboard out in direct sunlight. Unfortunately I did that and my S key began to bleach. This is the only key that had that happened to it so I don't mind

Thanks for the reply. Didn't know about the bleaching issue, but since I don't have my system in window view that won't be a concern.

This is it, you have to add the ergodox base set and modifier set separately your cart. It comes out to just under 70 if you include shipping

pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-pbt-abs-blank-keycap-sets/

I got my Ducky One for cheap and I love it. The steel back plate is very sturdy and there are lots of programing options. I do wish there was some sort of software that helped manage it all. I got carried away the first time I began to mess around with it so I had to reset all the macros and layers. The nice thing about dye-sub keycaps is that they never wear out since the dye becomes a permanent part of it. It also has the advantage in that you can't feel the text giving it a smooth feeling across. The other advantage is that PBT is a much stronger, longer lasting plastic. It doesn't turn yellow over time like those old keyboards, which is good since I have white keycaps. As far as the bleaching issue is concerned, I wish I had known that could happen, but as it turned out it is actually a very common problem on Ducky dye-sub keycaps with usually just one or two keys bleaching. Its most likely a quality control issue since so far only that one keycap has had that issue after 5 months of use. I hope you can see it from the pic, but that S key looks lighter then the rest

>So overall is PBT Dye Sub > ABS Doubleshot
Not really. PBT is good for dyesubs, ABS good for doubleshot keycaps. The "problem" with dyesub is that you can only have fonts darker than the keycaps material. Doubleshot allows you to mix any colors you like.

Yeah, I can tell. Thanks for the closeup.

Okay.

>Okay.
It's fine.

>features
Think you mean gimmicks. Not even unique gimmicks.