Is LibreOffice the best suite for Linux?

Is LibreOffice the best suite for Linux?

Due to my job I work a lot with MS Office files, so high compatibility is a very big plus.

Other urls found in this thread:

joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/02/19.html
blog.parallels.com/2016/01/21/differences-microsoft-office-mac/
wps.com/linux
languagetool.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it works for me.of course that doesnt automatically means it will work for you too.

The Google docs

My hospital uses loffice on every computer.

I wish there was a better alternative. It's okay at everything it does, but it's a resource hog, and could be better for spreadsheets.

Does it have an offline version? I don't always have internet when working out in the field.

honestly for writing i prefer LaTeX

>doesn't tell you when you double space,or forget to space when using commas

It has high compatability, but MS Office hate competition so they make images in Libeoffice documents quite darker and mess up the formatting often.

It has nothing to do with LibreOffice, if you use Google docs or any other office package (like the Apple one) then everything works fine, but MS Office deliberately makes the images darker and deliberately changes the formatting.

If its just some paragraphs there shouldn't be any problem.
Things start getting fucked up when you try to open MS Word files that have equations and pictures and that kind of stuff.

Not very good to use in the industry unless you are delivering pdfs. which is rarely the case because other people want to have their input.

well i've been told that if you send a resume as a .doc file people won't even consider your job application

i guess that's a good reason to use them

get a windows pc and use Office if it's for work

you can still fuck around with Linux on another machine but don't shit where you eat

Best advice here.

Sure, in a job application, I also made my cv with latex. But not in the workplace itself

Their messing up format isn't really about malice against other programs, they are working with a messy legacy codebase which literally saves internal data structures as binary. Perfect msoffice compatibility is impossible
joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/02/19.html

Get a Windows VM and put Office there, it's pretty comfy considering you can "pause" the state and continue working after.

I work as a network engineer, so Kali makes a good linux distro for me. Office work is not something too complex, just a bunch of spreadsheets with network addressing, email ans such.

This

Sadly MS Office > Libbre office shit.

it does. you can enable offline editing and use it from your web browser when you're offline

But google docs and all other office packages can easily open each others files and even MS Office files without any problem.

I unfortunately have to use MS Office, but I don't like that I have to.(even though One Note and the office integration with eachother is very convenient)

>But google docs and all other office packages can easily open each others files and even MS Office files without any problem
They can open them most of the time but not always. Simple documents that don't rely on complex features won't have any problem but the more obscure features used the less compatible it will be. Hell, even Windows and Mac versions of office are not 100 percent compatible

blog.parallels.com/2016/01/21/differences-microsoft-office-mac/

Where is my windows 2000 image?

LaTeX is super useful if you work in engineering or in math. (a lot of people here do, so that is a plus, yeah) but writing up a LaTeX doc is slow compared to office.

i like both, depending on what I'm writing and who I'm sending it to.

I usually export all my documents to pdf, since everyone will be able to read it the same

try wps office its free
wps.com/linux

can't you just use google docs now or is that BOTNET

Latex is a professional typesetting software

It's a pain in the dick for anything that needs to be done quick

Wrong.
Fewer features
>Implying

Spreadsheet would be the hardest. Not even God knows the fullest intricacies of Excel. If you're doing regular shit, tps reports and network administrator things, you can make libre-calc work, but accountants may never touch the gratis equivalents.

But researchers have.
>seriously

Why don't you install MS Office with WINE and PlayOnLinux

>LaTeX is super useful if you work in engineering or in math. (a lot of people here do, so that is a plus, yeah) but writing up a LaTeX doc is slow compared to office.

Not really unless you're using tables or weird shit. Also the looks.

I use libreoffice on mac.

Latex is also good for military work. Since you have to print out memorandums for goddamn everything and they all need a certain letterhead and most shit gets saved read-only anyway. There isn't really two-way communication other than your boss saying "No, do it this way" and then you have to redo the whole thing

FUCK GOOGLE DOCS! THE NSA HAS THAT SHIT ON LOCKDOWN NIGGA

>LaTeX is super useful if you work in engineering or in math

TeX is good if you're in physics/engineering/maths because 99% of the people in those fields are so challenged when it comes to design that it isn't funny.

A good TeX template makes it hard to create a awful-looking document. Word and most WYSIWYG editors make it easy. That's one of the reasons why it gained traction.

It's also got an awful lot of inertia. The fact that it is good at maths and internal referencing is another reason, but it's very much secondary. Word, for instance, now has an equally good equation editor and is capable of all the same typesetting tricks. But most professors used Word etc. in the 90s when it was vastly inferior to TeX

Thnx! I've been looking for an alternative to libre office

This or just get wine. The reason wine was invented is literally to run ms office on linux

ooo

It's fine. I would install it anyway. Supplement it with Google Docs and MS Office Online and LaTeX and Wine as needed.

You should have asked on the /sqt/ or the /fglt/:
languagetool.org/
Just install the extension. The biggest "downside" i find is that it uses java, but i use the JDK often so that's not a problem for me.

>Due to my job I work a lot with MS Office files, so high compatibility is a very big plus.
If that are your circumstances you can install microsoft office on wine. You can also use google docs if your company allows you, or you can install WPS office if you don't like LO.

I personally don't want to allow the possibility of being locked out of my own documents at some point, that's why i prefer an open format like ODF to always be the owner of my documents.

Honestly, if you use either windows or microsoft office the possibility is the same, if you actually care to keep you documents private use libreoffice and don't save those documents in the cloud.