/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread

Old thread: What's the best way to get money out of a bricked laptop?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025094&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL120216-_-EMC-120216-Index-_-LCDLEDMonitors-_-24025094-S0A&ignorebbr=1#
downsub.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=72sJ5Infuu0
backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is 23" too small for a monitor
thinking about getting link related
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025094&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL120216-_-EMC-120216-Index-_-LCDLEDMonitors-_-24025094-S0A&ignorebbr=1#

reposting

Posting again
So I'm looking into using a 4k tv as my monitor for my pc I'm gonna build, are there any good ones that won't have input lag/that will actually run smoothly? Or would it be better to save for a 4k pc monitor instead of a tv?

I remember you from last night.
Just get a monitor, tvs are notorious for having input lag when it comes to using them with computers

Cool, thanks user I'll start searching for monitors instead.

How to extract captions from youtube in .srt format?

found this by googling your question
downsub.com/

I used that too, I want to know how to do it manually

I figured out extracting the timedtext file which has the captions. But its in html and not text, so renaming it .srt doesnt work

I am trying to figure out how downsub.com/ is converting it to .srt

i'm guessing downsub is just parsing that html file that you saw

how can I parse it to srt? Any tool?

In case downsub.com goes down I want to be able to it myself

if you know how to program, you can check online for libraries that can help you with it.
or...

Should I kill myself?

this is always a good option

I rooted my tablet and have tried multiple wifi sniffer apps but none of them sniff any data off the network other than what the tablet is using. I have tried turning off the firewall temporally and it still does not grab any other data. Any tips? Have tried Packet Capture, WiFinspect, and tPacket-Capture on a rooted Samsung Tab E SM-T377T with SuperSU v2.76 flashed on it.

I think youtube-dl can do that.

Organizing my music, and every time I try to move a folder I get an error telling me that it's open in another program, even though I don't have it open in any program other than FreeCommander. Same thing happens when using Explorer.

I'm running 8.1. Anyone know why this is happening/how to fix it?

Is your media player opened by any chance?
Also Unlocker is a good tool for determinig whats blocking files and directories. Not sure if it works in w8 though.

where can I find genuine iso's of windows xp, vista, 7 etc ?

i need them for rescue disks etc

>have /wsd/html symlink within var/www/html
>403 error when trying to access /wsd/hmtl symlink

how do I sort this?

process explorer has this nice function called "find handle or dll"
or try unlocker (tho it disappointed me a few times)

chmod 777

Just got my new 1TB SSD in the mail. All of my data/OS is on the much smaller SSD I'm using now. How do I get everything onto my new SSD without having to actually reinstall?

No, I close out of my media player before moving any files.
I think it might have to do with explorer generating the 'thumbs.db' files every time I open a new folder. Tried turning it off, hopefully it'll fix the problem.

ln -snf
-s, --symbolic
make symbolic links instead of hard links
-n, --no-dereference
treat destination that is a symlink to a directory as if it were a normal file

-f, --force
remove existing destination files

should have mentioned I just need to change SELinux security labels to do this

Pic related is what I have

RAID?

cp /dev/sda /dev/sdb

How can I open another link in firefox's built-in reader without having to re-enable the reader again.

I am new and do not understand those acronyms. Please explain?

I'm studying CS at a University.

Anything I can do to pad my resume?

projects.

contribute to some open source stuff.

do undergraduate research.

get a job building software for one of your professors.

become a CS TA.

co-op or bust
write a significant amount of code for some open source software that isn't shit

find internships

Got a new case recently and moved everything to it. After I did, only one ram slot works, and if I add a stick in another slot, it doesn't boot. I'm not sure what to do. I want to increase my current 8gb of memory to 16 and I am also looking to upgrade my 6950 to a 1060 soon so my options are looking like:
Buy 1060 > Buy single 16gb DIM > Buy new mobo
Buy new mobo (and stick with 8gb ram) > Buy 1060 > Buy an extra 2x4gb
or Buy 16gb single dim of ram > Buy 1060 > Buy new mobo.
I could also try and fix the mobo, but I don't really know how, seeing as though I already tried taking out the CMOS and putting it back in. Just in case btw, I have an MSI Z77A-G41.

installed puppy on my eee netbook, are there any simple ways to install any c IDE onto it or should i change distro? wich one is a lightweight and simple that i can use?

what's so special about 192.168.0.1 ?

in that case, use clonezilla

I have to use IE11 for work, it sucks even more than i thought.
Forget blazing through 50+ tabs in tree style, you can barely open more than 5 before they shrink to a few pixels. You cant even do basic things like customizing the toolbar.

Is there anything i can do to make it suck less?

192.168.0.0/16 is a reserved range, for private use

what's so special about 192.168.0.0

thepiratebay dot org

this place has existed for fucking ever

Run IE in chrome.

Google about IE chrome extensions.

jbl has a sale on their entry level bluetooth speaker $40 marked down to $20. I'm ordering a few for christmas gifts.

All the components to my new rig are almost here so now I'm at the point where I need to think about my operating system.
I've been on Win7 forever now and figure that I should probably do Win10 for the new build.
I plan on torrenting it but I'm not completely convinced by the comments and talk around most of the ones I'm finding.
Should I not worry about the torrent comments and just download the top piratebay one? Should I get the clean version then an activator? I haven't had to install a new OS on a brand new machine in a long time so I'm second guessing all my decisions.

get a proxy. use qtbittorent.

then torrent whatever you like.

I'm not worried about getting caught torrenting I'm more worried about the legitimacy of the contents in the Win10 torrents I'm finding.

>chosing win10 over win7

Convince me not to then. I'm already on the fence I might just stay on 7 but I figured being up to date would be better. Fuck, I don't know.

>can't post webm because of audio, length and filesize
whatever. don't

How do I find out about the remaining lifespan of my SSDs and the total amount of data written to them? They're both Crucial in case that matters.

10 is still being given away for free idiot. Just make sure to check the box saying that you are disabled.

What should I use to test my CPU's performance?

>remaining lifespan
there's no such thing. it can die anytime
>total amount of data written
there's a S.M.A.R.T. attribute for that showing the total LBAs written. but you have to google it to find out which one

So yeah, how do i set up this shit?

>there's no such thing

This is what I meant, it's not displayed for the other drive.

you might want to install an operating system

My dad bought me an echo dot. I dont own any devices that can set it up (only android device runs 4.2.2 because fuck you samsung) and even if i could use it it wouldnt. How do i tell him that its shit without being a cunt?

like? Some linux OS?

if you like

that value tells you the overall health of your memory cells, not the lifespan that can be shortened any time by random event
anyway: if you want to, you can calculate it. check how much LBAs your drive has, check what kind of cells are used (SLC, MLC, TLC, etc), multiply it and then, using the total LBAs written, calcucalte its wear off

my neighbors left a broken 42 inch tv on the curb and I snatched it with hopes of fixing it. the light shows it has power (red) and powers up fine (blue), but there's no picture or sound. the screen doesn't even power on. I took it apart to check capacitors, but nothing looks broken. what's the next step, start testing fuses and resistors? model number for reference: insignia ns-lcd42hd-09

>nothing looks broken
youtube.com/watch?v=72sJ5Infuu0

So I downloaded a program called clock blocker it's supposed to make my GPU core clock max out while playing games and prevent stutter it worked pretty good on my MSI R9 390 but I'm here to ask if anyone ever heard of this program cause the layout of it looks kinda sketchy, also if anyone has a alternative to it.

This is my OS drive, which I'm more concerned about since it's older. The SMART data doesn't seem to show anything in regards to LBAs though.

Why does my computer not get past the mobo splash screen if I leave things plugged in to the front usb ports?

>uhh it's iCloud locked can I still sell it?

Dunno but try changing to another usb connector on the mobo for the front ports. Or try fiddle around with the usb settings in bios.

Is it trying to boot from USB?

i don't see the used up LBAs either but i see reserved blocks count. when it drops to 0 (or 1) it means that you have no more spare cells and your SSD will begin to degrade (at least most manufacturers make it show that)
parameter 173 tells you the max amount of erases on a single cell in your entire hard drive

Wasn't there a way to get the old text reCaptchas back? Can't figure it out for the life of me

What brand of internal hard drives has the lowest failure rate?

settings -> quotes & replying -> legacy captcha

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/

Samsung but you won't find them easily now
go for Hitachi/HGST

my nigga

I'll do that
Could be. It's only an mp3 player and an NES controller so there's nothing to boot with

There are 4-500 dollar korean 4k mintors in the 40inch range I have two.

I have a pdf that's like on the picture. I wanna cut the black part and make it so that one page of the book is one page of the document. Can this be easily achieved?

make sure that it didn't fuck up the boot priority options in BIOS/UEFI

It seems like HGST is by far the best. Do they make 1 TB drives? I can't find any on Newegg.

If I'm understanding you correctly, this means I have 2159 sectors "in reserve" and none of the ones currently in use have reached their limit yet? Feels good to know I guess, thank you.

1TB was in days when HGST was still Hitachi

Can you overclock a hard drive?

well, what did you expect from a 30 days old drive?

nope. buy a faster one

make a script that uses imagemagick to crop out each page, then make a new pdf with those cropped pages

Say i want to install a big game without going trough all the bullshit.

>game is in 300 .rar files
>extract the iso
>inside the iso, there is the setup
>have to mount the iso and wait for the setup to extract the data from the compressed .dat files

So it it possible to go straight in the 300 .rar file and thought the iso and extract the content of the .dat file in a folder?

So I have insurance on my phone and it's LG V10. Got bootlooped. So decided to have them send me a new one. Should I just wipe the memory with a magnet to get rid of any sensitive memory and the fact that it was rooted?

Yeah, I don't know how to do that. Is there a good program that can crop pdfs in a page range?

>game is in 300 .rar files
did you just got Witcher 3 via TOR something?
can't you just unpack everything?

I'm just looking for a way to skip all hat bullshit to skip decompression time.

No

What is the difference between UDIMM RAM and normal RAM?

it's compressed so you have to decomporess it anyway

sell parts probably, wifi card, hdd, the lcd panel, everything that works and can be removed from the laptop.
>inb4 its a macbook

give me your best poorfag lappy that isn't a fucking thinkpad. I want a normie-tier lappy. my budget is 600$.

$600 isnt poorfag you idiot.
$100 is poorfag.

chromebook for under $200