/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
- /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 2)
archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/ - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers (Part 1)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Configuration
spins.fedoraproject.org/en/xfce/
youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44
rpmfusion.org/Configuration/
tecmint.com/install-fedy-in-fedora/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nobody needs to use Arch. The best distro is Elementery.

Prove me wrong

Symlink won't serve a page

chcon -R -t httpd_sys_content_t /wsd/html won't work either

What do?

So after trying (and failing) to set up a software MIDI synth my sound output seems to fucked. I'm on ubuntu and until then everything just werked, all audio streams were set to 100% and I controlled the main volume as needed.
But now all audio from Firefox (Youtube, webms, everything) gets its own CubebUtils stream. The problem I have is that those streams are always set to 46% whenever they're opened which is annoying to me because all videos are now way too quiet and I have to crank the main volume up, then take it down again when I want to listen to music.
Any idea where I can set the default volume for those streams?

Install Debian

Hey everyone, bit of a linux beginner in general seeing that I've only managed to configure and lightly run Xubuntu on my T500.

My question is that: "I've recently acquired myself a t60 thinkpad for an extremely low price, which I intend to dedicate solely to a linux distro. The thing is, I'm kinda having a hard time finding out which one I should install..

The choice is between Debian Jessie, because of their XFCE environment or Alpine.

Can I expect drivers and such to come with the distros, or do I have to find those elsewhere?

Hi

At least you spelled Arch right.

If you can't just install you're OS and have everthing simply work, your not using linux mint.

Debian is not suitable for an absolute beginner. Xubuntu is most likely your best choice. Distros tend to come with drivers, unless you want different ones, i.e the closed-source ones.

I think basically what you want is the setting
>flat-volumes = no
and to make sure your volume controls are modifying the device volume, not the application volumes.

Doing it this way makes it so everything starts with its individual volume set to 100%, and the device volume acts like a master volume.

You might have that setting in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
and you might also want to check in ~/.config/pulse/ to see if something added a flat-volumes=yes setting or something.

You can find more info on those config files and flat-volumes here:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Configuration

I do have some technical know how, but I'm not an advanced user at all.

Plus, I'm running Xubuntu not mint.

Not even Debian Jessie, with It's GUI and everything? Do you know anything about driver support for either DJ or Alpine?

distro support for drivers is the exact same, no matter which you go to. some distros just offer newer or older versions of said drivers. Debian can be confusing or overwhelming for a new user, but if you think you're up to it then give it a shot. we'd recommend doing it in a VM first however.

Go for the VM option. It's ideal for me since I have no way of getting my WiFi USB to work in Debian, so I use it in a VM on Microsoft Botnet 10. I use snapshots to unfuck the install when I get a bad driver or update, and if that fails, I still have Windows I can use.

Well the t60, which I'm waiting for comes with no HDD..

So a VM really isn't a choice for me, personally.

put a disk in it then?

Well, like a CD, right?
Hmmm, I don't really have alot of those lying around.

But from a scale from ubuntu to Arch, how hard is Debian to install?

It's mainly just text sequences, it doesn't have any graphical elements or a cursor to use like Fedora does.
I mean a hard disk, do you not have any hard disks or wouldn't you be able to order a cheap internal laptop drive off the internet? even if it's small & used, you must need a disk.

about the same as ubuntu

Oh shit, yeah, I'm ordering one as of now so it would arrive at the same time as the laptop. So no cursor or visual GUI? Damn, that's tough man.

Fairly easy..that really contradicts the other statements that I've read here.

the only way you will find out is by trying it. you have nothing to lose, and can always swap to an different distro if you'd like.

What would you recommend besides Xubuntu? Fedora maybe?

Fedora is easy & fine to use, and has the best GNOME intergration, but does come with other DEs too. OpenSUSE is good to use too, has the best KDE intergration. Fedora or OpenSUSE is a good choice.

An XFCE Fedora distro would be excellent for me, and that's easier to install than Debian, right?

Most likely. spins.fedoraproject.org/en/xfce/

What do people mean by this? How can a distro have better "integration" (whatever that means) for a DE than any other distro?

the distro has been mainly designed around that DE, comes with it by default etc. similar to mint's relationship with cinnamon

Is it possible to run a desktop environment or window manager off of a flash drive? My school computers already have GNU/Linux on them, but they only have LXDE, KDE, GNOME, and for some reason flux and xmonad. I'd like to use dwm but I don't have root privileges to make a new desktop in Ubuntu.

>the distro has been mainly designed around that DE
What does this mean exactly?
>comes with it by default etc
So there are no versions of Fedora without GNOME?

i dont know how to simple it down further.

Build dwm. It's easy.

I can build it. Actually I'm not sure there is any other way to get dwm, but I can't run it from the display manager on ubuntu without root is my problem

Fedora's default installation assumes your using GNOME and all the programs it comes with are built around GNOME's workflow.

In the most obvious sense, you won't click on a pdf and be greeted by a blank Okular screen

I've seen a few sources say Fedora 25's use of Wayland by default is a significant thing. I've also seen people mention Wayland on this board a lot. What I don't see are explanations as to what's so important about this.

So I'll ask: what's so important about it?

Try to create a .xinitrc and a .xsession with executable rights to see if they are run by the session manager.

obligatory
youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44

Thanks man, I will probably use Fedora then..even though I have zero knownledge about what Gnome is or how it operates.

the link I provided provides you with Fedora with XFCE.

You can run QEMU and distro of choice off flash drive without admin rights.

what are some decent chromium privacy extensions that don't break every website? Something that forces HTTPS, do not track etc. but not script blockers or umatrix

Already downloaded the iso, and I'm ready to go. Hope nothing bad will happen, though.

Ark complains when I try to open some zip files with it "no suitable plugin found ark does not seem to support this file type". Unzip works fine so what the hell is going on?

do remember that Fedora is very strict on it's 'no non-free software in repos'
so you must add these repos manually, but it is easy so don't worry: rpmfusion.org/Configuration/
and you may wish to use fedy to install non-free codecs: tecmint.com/install-fedy-in-fedora/

uBlock Origin, privacy badger and a cookie destroyer.

Idk they have decentraleyes or not

Your GUI archive tool doesn't have plugins yet. Install them.
p7zip (optional) - 7Z format support
unrar (optional) - RAR format support
unzip (optional) - ZIP format support
zip (optional) - ZIP compression support

>Fedora is very strict
Still wondering what's the whole point when they ship it with a blobbed kernel.
>implying blobs/modules/ucode aren't programs
inb4
>people want their shit just werk
Then why excluding nonfree software?
dumb Fedora

>shilling nonfree software
what is wrong with you

Only p7zip and p7zip-rar needed. Why all the other bloat?

They don't qualify as bloats

Hey.
I need to install any linux distribution on a laptop that has an unsupported wifi card, and that doesn't have an ethernet plug. Is there any way to add the drivers in the install image, or should I install them by transfering them with a usb key from my computer to the laptop?

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

But it only has problems with certain files, others work just fine.

>Add driver to install image.
>I've never considered that possibility before.
You should definitely try that and let us know how it works out.

usually lightweight and user friendly don't go together. User friendly distros like Ubuntu and Mint have a lot of shit to help n00bs. The closest you'll get to both is Xubuntu. See how to install compton after that

>posting animals

You're confusing user-friendly with newcomer-friendly.

>compton
That's a joke right?

>newcomers are not users

>t. animal

no, why would it be a joke?

can you name a distro that's one but not the other?

What is the alternative for fixing tearing issues?

gentoo

but i'm white and not german, slavic or anglo

>I'm white, if it matters

no. Just no.

it matters a lot
since you can't be human without being white

dont derail the thread please

Were you home-schooled? Pretty sure that's where illiterate retards are made.

see gtfo

see global rule #1
keep nonhumans out of Sup Forums

Yup, home schooled redneck spotted.

I am trying to find a decent usb wifi adapter for my laptop. I was given the laptop and its wifi range is awful. What do y'all use for wifi adapters? I dont care at all about portability as Im never taking this laptop with me. So those little raspberry pi thumb ones arent what I am looking for. Is there a linux conpatible N adapter with an antenna?

Get a wifi extender instead

>global rule #1
>bait posting

check thinkpenguin

But I'm not even american. Isn't that insult directed at them?

>wannabe illiterate redneck
It's even worse.

who /arch server/?

>wannabe
Do you know what this word even means?
Where have I ever stated that I want to be a subhuman anglo?

By behaving like one

sorry breh, gentoo server

This. Snapshots are wonderful for running Linux and Windows VMs.

You can run live off USB while waiting. Use Rufus on your Windows box to load your .iso of choice.

Psst, hey HEY!

>newbie friendly, beginner distros, first timers
-Debian and its derivatives

>Professionals with intermediate Linux related skills
-Fedora, Source Mage, Slackware

>Expert hacking, top tier server usage, serious programming stuff
Arch, Gentoo

Expert hacking...

Jesus christ.

You can also run MATE on such a old machine... A simple way is to get Mint with MATE. Should run fine and have every driver available

>arch
>expert

>Expert hacking, top tier server usage, serious programming stuff
>Arch, Gentoo
psssh nah, if have a highschool reading level everything is newbie friendly

But wouldn't that kinda defeat the purpose of him wanting to learn something more intermediate?

I mean, I've tried Mate but the guy says he already has used Xubuntu so...

>Expert hacking
fucks sake

I'm more concerned about source mage.

For a server, Debian or CentOS? I'm thinking CentOS because unlike Debian, it's actually made to be a server OS. Debian is still for desktops

But I'm worried because I'm so used to Debian based OSes, that CentOS is going to suck. And considering I already have Debian installed and customized, it's just work to switch over

I guess I'll set up CentOS on a VM and test it out before I'll do anything

ubuntu and debian on my atom netbook both drop connection every 5-10 min over ethernet,
how do I fix it?

running on a toshiba nb300

CentOS is RHEL without the support. So of course, CentOS

I considered CentOS without selinux for my server. Big question if it has the desired programs

alfa wireless (the ones that support packet injection are decent)

not this, it will run at half the speed,

if you want better wifi get another AP and wire it into the router

add the line "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1" to /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf and see if that fixes it
that is, if you're using iwlwifi as your wifi driver

>I guess I'll set up CentOS on a VM and test it out before I'll do anything

No shit. ALWAYS do VMs first. It's effortless.

>No shit. ALWAYS do VMs first. It's effortless.