Redpill me on this

Redpill me on this

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/10850/the-intel-ssd-600p-512gb-review
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's a solid state drive manufactured by Samsung

>gib me consumer reviews thx
Read the fucking sticky.

It is only super fast at sequential rw operations. It is in practice HARDLY FASTER THAN AN ORDINARY 850 EVO. There are very few real world applications where it is useful. Don't waste your money unless you want bragging rights to something you will never really have.

Didn't they basically prove unless you're moving gigantic ass files around all the time these are basically a meme compared to regular sata ssds?

I haven't tried it in Windows yet, but when switching from a 2011 MBP with a custom 840 EVO to a retina MBP with their proprietary NVMe drives, it was loads faster, like programs opened noticeably faster n shit

>noticeably faster n shit

Normal ass SSDs already open programs and folders instantaneously with no delay. I'm calling bullshit

Macs for some reason have horrible I/O management, so it makes sense for NVMe-based Macs to feel noticeably faster than non-NVMe based Macs.

this. There's no noticable real world benefit towards SATA except when copying big files.

Also there seems to be this "mainstream" illusion that Samsung SSDs are the best which is far from being true. They're definitely sufficient for consumers but not for enterprise use. They've proven to be unreliable many times (inb4 techreport.com 1PB meme), even for the company I work for. I don't know why these Koreans got such a hard time with their SSD firmware (for example remember that TRIM bug). Don't get me wrong, they're not bad by any means but this Samsung makes the best SSDs meme is kinda annoying.

>Normal ass SSDs already open programs and folders instantaneously with no delay
not on 2011 Macs with SATA SSDs

also my Chrome takes 1-2 seconds to load on my 840, something like VMware more like 5 and Photoshop up to 10. Not the end of the world, and still magnitudes faster than mechanical harddrives, but not what I'd call "instantaneous"

>also my Chrome takes 1-2 seconds to load on my 840, something like VMware more like 5 and Photoshop up to 10. Not the end of the world, and still magnitudes faster than mechanical harddrives, but not what I'd call "instantaneous"
That's on a Windows PC I mean

Then who makes the best ones? Intel?

Intel, Toshiba, Plextor..

/thread

its pointless, you won't notice the extra speed.

Just get a larger SATA SSD insteadl.

Plextor huh?

Well actually it's Liteon but the Liteon brand only sells Enterprise SSDs. Very reliable. Plextor is a subsidiary of Liteon which means Plextor SSDs are rebranded Liteon Consumer SSDs (with some firmware tweaks).

what makes plextor better than samsung?

Its an ssd that you can bolt straight to your motherboard.

Liteon Firmware - Toshiba NAND and Marvell Controllers .. pretty much a god tier combination.

Lite On is known for reliable firmware? I'm only familiar with the low end contracted Lite On products like CRTs and CD drives, so it's hard to gauge quality.

>Intel
anandtech.com/show/10850/the-intel-ssd-600p-512gb-review

I'm talking about Enterprise SSDs here, they're widely used and known to be reliable. You can research yourself about Plextor being great at providing proper Firmware. They had been the first to implement a proper background garbage collection into their firmware which was a huge step forward in terms of endurance.

What's this review supposed to tell me? That's a TLC nand consumer SSD.

>Enterprise SSDs
How about something people can afford?

It's the same NAND as always except maybe smaller but with a new connector. You will only see performance gains if you transfer a large amount of data. SATA SSDs are basically the like a 2500k. Good enough and there is no reason to upgrade until something better like 3D XPoint DIMMs come along.

m.2 SSDs can also be SATA based.

>How about something people can afford?
That's what they have created Plextor for.. I'm using one myself on on my desktop. All my other SSDs are Intel ones though. But to be honest regular consumers won't ever have to worry about this kind of stuff. SSDs, even crappy ones, will most likely outlive them.

Only reason to get it is if you REALLY don't want to have 2 extra cables in your pc

>37MB/s vs 48MB/s random 4k real performance
It's fucking nothing. If you need sequential performance then it's undeniably the better choice.

Also something appears to be wrong with your write performance. Is it throttling?