Linux users, what file system format do you use...

Linux users, what file system format do you use? I did a fresh install of Arch and decided to try xfs as opposed to ext4. What is Sup Forums using?

It's ext4. Always ext4.

I use xfs too for desktop and cloud server too. I has a bunch of blackout and always worked well.

xfs

Mainly because it's stable enough to be the default in Red Hat 7, and I ran out of inodes once, so I'd rather use a filesystem that doesn't run out.

redsea

I started using btrfs for non-critical systems and it's been pretty nice so far

Not gentoo?
Install it!

I think I will.
Thanks for convincing me

I tried btrfs, but my laptop started booting into a kernel panic after every update. Back to ext4 now.

ext4 with bcache. Great cartoon you're watching though

file systems is one thing I can never get a clear answer for

which is better for what, etc. beyond swap and ext4

ZFS
>mfw lincucks still don't have it natively

Who cares.

fat

BTRFS
>mfw bsdcucks don't get it natively

>can't even use encryption without workarounds

[ ] don't encrypt my shit
[x] encrypt my shit

lel bsdcucks doesn't have an installer

>I'm so fucking retarded I need big buttons to know what I'm doing

I seriously can't think of a single reason BTRFS exists in the same universe as ZFS. Why did people seriously waste time making a whole new system of questionable quality over refining the ZFS port.

Image since like fbsd 9

>You don't navigate the installer with muh GUI and mouse! It's not an installer!
I'm not even shilling BSD, but you just can't be this stupid

PC-BSD and other desktop oriented BSDs have graphical installers anyway.

>720p VMs
Showed me kek

I don't even know what you're trying to imply, I did show you, it's exactly what you posted here

btrfs supposed to replace ext4, also good for some kind of raid (0, mirroring). Zfs isn't stable on linux as it came from elsewhere and even oracle don't give a shit about it, but who knows when their lawyers get triggered. As wikipedia says facebook uses btrfs already so it's ready for some kind of work.

>Zfs isn't stable on linux
Which is why I'm wondering why people choose to make a new filesystem over making the ports stable. ZFS is already mature and proven, it also has many tools built around it. People seem to be in agreement that it's one of the best filesystems available so I'm real curious as to why there's not a greater push for it on other platforms, we could have some ubiquity across all *nix platforms instead of having more fragmentation and reimplimenting tools.

I just can't believe we've had this really good option for over a decade, yet it's only popular on some systems. Even with projects like OpenZFS. Things should be much better for all *nix users, not just some.

This isn't a jab, but the anecdotes I keep hearing makes it seem like btrfs isn't stable on Linux either, which is understandable for a young fs like that but still.

>tfw you don't have enough ram for online deduplication

>mfw btrfs will never be usable

I always wondered how useful that would be for home use, seems unnecessary outside of special use cases where you have a lot of duplicate data being written and read constantly.

Why are people wanking ZFS off into their mouths so much in this thread?

ZFS

It's good. It's main problem is that it can't be in the mainline kernel because of licensing fuckery.

The closest promising alternative (at least in the Linux world) is btrfs, and it's had a long and difficult development with repeated show-stopper bugs. RAID56 still isn't fixed. OpenZFS, despite not being in the kernel, has been more mature and stable on Linux than btrfs has been, for quote some time.

ext4

>has been more mature and stable on Linux than btrfs

PFS3+

Nice repeating digits and checked.

did you really delete your post just to have the image have a different filename?

It is by far the best all around filesystem out there and you can actually use it. People talk about ZFS in almost any filesystem discussion anywhere.

The Linux ports are older than btrfs, the file system itself is older, and both are just inherently more tested and developed as a result.

Look even in this thread For years now I've seen people reporting kernel instability or worse, data loss with btrfs. It feels bad to witness, people should just adopt ZFS already instead of wasting effort on something that will take time to develop only to match feature parity that already exists now.

FAT32

Typo
>FP
>PF

>

did you just post have post have have
kys

Oh, yeah. Hurr.

>posting to have posts replying to posts for post posting

Post screenshot with deleted post

ReiserFS

Different user, posting it because you asked.

I failed to notice the fixed typo

They probably googled the logo, posted it, deleted the image, realized the typo, downloaded the posted image, deleted the post, reposted. This is my guess. META

You can't get a clear answer because unless you're running a file server or have some other highly particular use case it hardly matters enough to deviate from the common options (read: ext4).

Ahahahaha fag getting caught deleting posts. Always cracks me up.

>it hardly matters enough to deviate
I feel like with things such as snapshots these can be handled automatically by the OS and have some simplified front end, which is still useful for end users but not something they directly deal with. Kind of like how Windows does "restore points" but much better than that. I know there was something like that for Solaris years ago and that seems like something any desktop system should have, which is made much easier with filesystems that support it.

>getting caught
you act like it was done in secret, it's just a typo correction. happens all the time. pointless imo

Wow, you must literally have down syndrome if you find that funny.

This post is cracking me up.

Wow, you must literally have down syndrome if you find that funny.

I think I have autism.

It makes me smile when I see it. Not sure if its funny (american definition of "funny" is saying its funny but not actually laughing or smiling)

If you use ext4, make sure to use less reserved blocks. By default it uses 5%.

btrfs on a LUKS-encrypted LVM logical volume

>btrfs on a...LVM logical volume

That sounds like pointless complexity.

i use ntfs :2

FreeBSD is always superior.

In the real world, hardware support and software availability matters.

Sure, run FreeBSD on servers, but on a personal machine, I'd like my USB devices to fucking work, and actually run software without setting up linux emulation and compiling all dependencies.

...how else is he gonna screenshot the installer?

99% of hardware (even USB crap) which I use work nice with FreeBSD, same with software most work fine without linux compatibility layer.

ext2 for /boot
ext4 for everything else

If you are using anything else on a Desktop Linux install you are just ricing
and risking your data in the process.

Every day I walk through the CS department at my school and I see hot girls judging all the NEETs walking by.

> “He looks like he has to take his whole array down to repair it”
> “He’s probably still using hardware RAID”
> “He uses container frameworks on top of overlayfs, probably isn’t smart enough to recognize how well container volumes would map to filesystem volumes”
> “That kid still thinks BTRFS has a chance, what a weirdo.”
> “That kid smells, I don’t think he ever leaves his dorm. And he probably spends all his time online and still hasn’t heard about how stable ZFS on Linux is.”
> “Wow, he’s cute. But I had a class with him, and he doesn’t have a cron job to regularly send ZFS snaps to his server. Backs his stuff up on dropbot and a USB drive! Loser!”
> “Damn, here comes user. He’s so hot. He even said he would setup his VPN to allow me to put his server as my binhost in my make.conf and use his kernel. That would be so illegal, to link CDDL software against the GPL and to redistribute it. Gets me so turned on.”
> “Wow, here comes Chad. I love a guy who knows his way around FreeBSD”

Is anyone else reaping the huge benefits with the ladies that comes with ZFS usage? Because I’m swimming in it over here.

Dunno if retarded or pretending or trying to troll.

>ywn be bullied for using an inferior filesystem

Btrfs. Been using that for four years and haven't encountered a single issue yet.

Wish I could use it to raid5 though. According to the btrfs wiki the implementation isn't safe to use.

>inferior filesystem
More like forever prealpha quality file system.

is it ''file system'' or "filesystem"?

file ?system

ext4 on both my boot drive and on top of my RAID

ext4 because I have no particular data recovery needs and I'm not a contrarian shit head.

Btrfs for /, xfs for /home or go for ext4 for everything as everyone sane would recommend.

Ext4 since xfs partitions can only be grown, not shrunken.

BTrfs is useless to me for the most part since I already use LVM and LVM gives me all the same hip cool features like CoW snapshots.

That's suseish. They only reason they use btrfs for reverting packages if something messed up.

Mein shinken und die geil datacenter

/thread
Gonna order a Russian mail bride soon, bro. Wish me luck!

It kills your wife

I've been using btrfs for years and it's nice. Love it's raid1, scrub, snapshots, COW, compression and auto defrag.

NTFS, it just works.

install gentoo

no thanks, I'm comfy on my solus machine.

>implying

Is it good anime?