Need a fast alternative browser

This is harder than it looks so Im asking here. Im on a really old Pentium 4 rig with 4 gbs ram for everything (1 is hardware reserved so its actually 3). The latest FF is bloated as hell and slows down when the tabs get too many and I dont like chrome, so I need a decent alternative that is fast/responsive even under loads.

I dont care about privacy or piles of features, just need a fast, stable browser, preferably light on resources.

so far I tried Midori and wasn't very impressed, its sluggish and worse, it crashes sometimes.

Other urls found in this thread:

webmshare.com/play/KBm8v
webmshare.com/play/Meo8O
webmshare.com/play/Wn1GD
webmshare.com/play/6wK0n
webmshare.com/play/gBdJb
webmshare.com/play/RAE86
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

surf.suckless.org
the only thing faster is lynx

lynx, links, elinks, you can also use curl to download the web page and view it with vim.

The navigation make me sick.
links is better.

Dunno which is faster than Chormium, but don't take Firefox or Firefox based browser.

FF vs Chromium - 30 Random sites
webmshare.com/play/KBm8v
FF vs Chromium - 11 News sites
webmshare.com/play/Meo8O
FF vs Chromium - 40+ Instagram profiles on Windows
webmshare.com/play/Wn1GD
FF vs Chromium - 40+ Instagram profiles on Arch Linux
webmshare.com/play/6wK0n
FF vs Chromium on bad machine (2core/2thread - 2GB RAM)
webmshare.com/play/gBdJb
FF vs Chromium with uBlock
webmshare.com/play/RAE86

it's literally ctrl + vim keybindings though. or you can right-click and go back/forward/refresh with a context menu. if you want be cool and use minimalist browsers, you have to read the man page, and it's really not that big. also it has built-in custom CSS support which you can enable in the source. very fast load time and light footprint. combine with surfraw for maximum goodness.

I forgot to add, there is one future that i need in a browser, I just cant let go of tabbed browsing.

Thanks for convincing me user, I'll re pick it up again.

i use fluxbox which can tab windows together so i get a "tabbed" browsing experience in surf, or a tabbed terminal experience in xterm, tabbed document editing in openoffice, or of course combine any arbitrary windows into a single tabbed window. if you are running old hardware, you really should look into it.
also
>more than 2-3 tabs
>fast, lightweight, responsive browser
pick one

netsurf has a gui and tabs, very light

Instead of searching for the perfect browser, make sure you prevent websites from trying to load and run all that useless shit which actually slows them down.

this, actually. blocking js can really speed up your shit. many sites load tracking and advertising scripts from as many as 10-15 different domains. sometimes it can get around cheaply made paywalls too.

Netscape reloaded
Cyberfox
Icecat

>thinking a browser would make a negligible difference

Why are you idiots so deluded? Can't you think for yourselves just for a second? You're viewing the same content, so why would your browser matter?
The only way to make a difference would be using something like Lynx and only browse text mode.

>You're viewing the same content, so why would your browser matter?
Because browsers do a fuckton more than just show static webpages.

lightweight browsers lack components that "full-featured" browsers have (history, extensions, botnets) and therefore start faster, and have a smaller base memory footprint. however, yes, having several instances/tabs of content-heavy websites will use a lot of memory even in a "lightweight" browser, but even if it's a difference between 1.5 GB of memory use and 2 GB of memory use, that can make a lot of difference on old hardware. still, switching to a lightweight browser might not be enough if you don't change your other browsing habits (for example watching youtube/streaming video through a standalone player through youtube-dl instead of relying on inefficient HTML5/flash playback)

Chrome :) :) :)

>surf
So just for the hell of it I tried surf but the script file shuts down as soon as I open it, apparently its a linux script file. I do have Git bash but that doesn't seem to be helping.

Well, obviously?

>watching youtube/streaming video through a standalone player through youtube-dl instead of relying on inefficient HTML5/flash playback

Being honest everyone should do that anyway. In fact, I don't know why they don't.

I never liked how people want to consider the web browser to be its own mini-OS.

You either need to copy the url of the video every time or integrate an "open with" option into the browser.
Both are extra steps people are too lazy to do.

MS Edge is the fastest one I have tried

Is there an addon that makes youtube links with /watch?v= in them open with another program, like mpv or something? Because you're right; I'm lazy and it would be sweet if I could make everything from the youtube search page do that on its own.

A really good way to make your browsing faster is to install linux. You didn't mention your os so I though to throw it out there

Redo it with Edge

install noscript or uBlock whatever browser you use
noscript is the best way of making browsing faster on old PCs

Sounds like you need K-Meleon.

i have it down to right-click, copy link location, super+M to run mpv `xsel -b`, lazy enough for me

depends on how well you need to support "modern" websites

this VM i threw together just now for a different thread is somewhat relevant

this

Edge.not joking.just try it.

>netsurf

You can't even save images.

if you want to save images, what's wrong with wget?