What's the worst distro you've ever used?

What's the worst distro you've ever used?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_distribution
wiki.installgentoo.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fedora.
But I just keep using it for some unknown reason

Solus

never fall for the meme guys

Linspire

Does this also happen to be the only distro you've ever used?
Or have things really gotten that bad?
Cause 4 years ago, Xubuntu was actually really quite nice.

I've used mint and voyager. I changed to xubuntu beginning of this year and have been having more problems than the previous 2 I used.

Arch Linux

Not anymore

Fedora.

Arch linux

Solus it was a laggy piece of shit with gnome reskin

I always liked xubuntu, too. Used it for a long time.
But last time I installed it ( less than 2 months ago ), I found bugs right out of the box that made the DE unusable.
So I just installed Mint instead.

>Biebian
>Hannah Montana Linux
>Ubuntu Satanic Edition
>Apartheid Linux

Arch closely followed by Mandriva

Slackware - no decent package manager, doesn't even roll tarballs for GNOME, painful upgrade history

SuSE - Slobbers on KDE's dong, Red Hat's retarded cousin, Novell, RPM based but DIFFERENT RPMs than the rest of the world (configuration, layout, etc.)

Debian - Retarded developers who engage is stupid flamewars, thinking they are hot shit causing the most embarrassing security flaws in the world (OpenSSL much?) Great package manager system, but insanely outdated and SLOW. "Release when it's ready" means release when some random fags have gotten off their lazy asses to package something that was released years ago.

Ubuntu - Rip off of the worst state of Debian packages, fractured Debian community to the point where it has never been the same. "Unity", Amazon integration/telemetry, No visual update in almost 10 years, shit like "Mir" 'ufw" and "upstart" -- at least they have decent font rendering/hinting

Red Hat - truly old and out of date. Great for enterprise desktops and servers. Font rendering/hinting is fucked up.

CentOS - Offers nothing of value beyond a no-cost, but no support, Red Hat. Exactly the same. Bonus: ugly logo

Fedora - Stable as hell, up to date, polished to the max, but THE WORST FUCKING FONT RENDERING/HINTING. As someone who likes to READ TEXT because their job is to do stuff on the computer, it's so fucking painful. This is REALLY the ONLY PROBLEM with fedora. If they didn't require me to fucking install packages, write various fontconfig tweaks and more for every workstation and after every install, this distro would be what the gods use

Gentoo - QA team of one. You are simply retarded if you use Gentoo for anything other than building a custom appliance or related.

arch

I think Fedora is the only distro that completely crashed on me right after install

Mint was buggy as fuck when I used it too

Arch by far... except the package manager which is the best.

wierd. thats what happens when i install debian on my asus. what kind of computer do you have?

Not OP, but Xubuntu is a pain to get on a usb. You can get a 4 year old Xubuntu on a USB completely fine, but then you have to spend a long time upgrading everything.

If you don't use a old version and upgrade it you will have tons of bugs. Its a pain in the ass like Arch to get installed.

Asus laptop from like 2011. But debian based distros work fine. Pure debian doesn't detect my wifi adapter though

>QA
Nigga, are you fucking retarded? Can't you Gentoo like a grown up?

Whoa whoa, hold on friend. You got a little salty over there. We get it, you love fedora.

On the contrary, I'm a former actual Gentoo developer and have sold products (server appliances) built using Gentoo that were so successful we had multiple tech giants partner with us for their own re-branded version. You should just stop trying, at everything.

only ubuntu will load on my last year model, but its laggy as fuck and barely works. also when in a vm a lot of OSs wont even boot after installed.

try mint

ITT: Salty kids who can't follow the arch wiki

arch is stupidly easy to install unless you are on some proprietary laptop vendor motherboard and/or don't have the internet

Debian, Manjaro, and Fedora
Debian is NOT desktop friendly, Manjaro was a piece of fucking garbage, and Fedora felt like a no-fun dad boner in socks and sandals

why would needing a wiki to work with your OS be a positive?

All of linux

try lubuntu

>unless you are on some proprietary laptop vendor motherboard

Which are ALL laptop motherboards

arch

>operating systems that require internet for installing
Why is this allowed

yea right, what about the time you spend on babysitting the damn thing?

fedora is literally shit

You don't need the wiki. The wiki only answers about 2% of the problems you MIGHT have. Most of the time you just google it. The wiki is there so you can avoid fixing people's problems when they ask online. If someone has a problem then just say "read the wiki" if they say "where? I read the whole thing (which you might be forced to do) and not a single page on the wiki says anything about it" then you can just say "read the wiki" again or "learn to read" it's very effective to not expose the fact that you don't know what you are doing either and that no DE or WM works on your arch install and you just pretend that you prefer working in the CLI anyway.

I actually liked JBL

which distros don't do that?

Anything with systemd?
Goddamn, I was starting to get over it too.

But then, added a service, but it didn't come up at boot, so now my system won't boot.
Even though the service isn't required by any other systemd service and the only thing it requires is that network.target is finished.

Fuck I hate it so much.

It was Xubuntu 16.04 too...

Just get a Thinkpad, you horrible mongrel.

You can get an offline iso that even auto installs it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_distribution

>using one of the most proprietary of them all

AFAIK No other laptops in history but Thinkpads have restricted what minipci cards you could use.
Only IBM/Lenovo could lock you down that much.

what part of debian doesn't boot do you people not understand?

>what is coreboot

Just because you aren't capable of fixing your own shit, doesn't mean it's bad.
You better read the wiki again, dude.
Where? Here wiki.installgentoo.com/

>this is the best laptop you just need to completely replace the init firmware and don't boot into Windows because of the malware on the motherboard

Jolicloud

I use arch linux at work, it's so fucking easy my dude, literally set it and forget it. I had one problem that was entirely my fault when I forgot to re add my printer after adding a print driver.

Let me tell you how to install chromium on arch.

1) Install pacaur using some script that a twelve year old made on Github
2) pacaur -S chromium.

Huh, no shitty installers or ubuntu app store? Wow!

The arch user repo is honestly the simplest thing to use ever.

Yeah arch-anywhere is what I use if I'm in a rush.

Why would you use Windows? Are you out of your mind?

>Pure debian doesn't detect my wifi adapter though
read on their non-free policy.

But that is the good wiki, I am talking about the arch wiki which is shit

no thanks I just go with another distro

When autism hits the quantum limit

My dad works for Nintendo and he says you are full of shit

The Arch wiki is great.
No TL;DR, just right to the point.
Just admit it Kevin, you're pleb.

The arch wiki is shit and has never helped anyone.

Arch

Slackware - absolute clusterfuck. Not even once.

arch

Elementary OS. Buggy as fuck, horrible memory hog, Panrheon is a faggy piece of shit sucking Apple dick.

This
People meme about how the aur breaks your system but I use it for pretty much anything and it just works

It just works: The distro, that's what Arch is

Everything I need was always answered in the Arch wiki.
You just can't properly use it, Kevin.

Probably Fedora or Arch. Fedora works well enough but I just hate it. Arch fucking breaks non-stop. I don't know how Archfags can even hold their OS together long enough to post screenshots.

The best has always been Debian. It's not too difficult to use, super stable, and has all the packages and help guides a man could even want or need.

Arch and Solus

>Arch fucking breaks non-stop

Never been true. That is the biggest superstition in the western world. There is no evidence for it, at least astrology is so vague that anyone might find some correlation. But the superstition that the arch wiki has answers to problems encountered in arch is ridiculous and is not vague enough to be mistaken for truth.

I also find that arch breaks non stop and the problems are never answered by the arch wiki and always so exotic. Arch is not a proper OS, it's a experimental technical support simulator (it's unstable by design) for people who want to spend their free time reading documentation. The reason why it's so disliked by many people in this thread is because it's presented as a functioning OS by edgelords who like to pretend that they are able to set up a stable system.

The reason why the arch wiki never provides solutions to common problems is to hide the fact that it is fundamentally broken. Nobody have any solutions for anything because lots of things can not be fixed because it's broken by design. Which is why people only say "read the arch wiki" instead of providing solutions like any other Linux community would. It's just a ruse to hide the fact that most problems have no solutions on arch.

What are people even doing to make Arch so unstable?

I barely know anything about Linux and yet I've had a really stable and smooth experience using Arch. I've had way more issues with Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora.

Same. I've used Arch with Cinnamon for the last 18 months with absolutely zero issues

>debian doesn
those are based on ubuntu, not debian

>What do you mean it's probably my fault! That couldn't possibly be the case!

You don't belong on Sup Forums if you complain about a wiki. The Arch wiki is one of the best in the world, simply because the people who tinker with it like to document their fixes. Can't figure something out? Post on the forum, most people are friendly truth be told, but most
>read the wiki
answers are just responses to common questions with the answers actually being in the wiki. And sure enough, when I looked, they were right there.

It is SO FUCKING EASY to create an easy desktop to use, fuck, just use budgie as your environment and you're set. Easy to install and simple to use, not everything has to be riced to oblivion and customized.

That freedom is the best part of Arch, the freedom to customize the computer how you want it. Such as my mother, who is completely computer illiterate, she wanted both the OS X style launcher and a taskbar, what do you know, I installed it in less that a minute. She just knows that she never has to reboot her slow as shit Macbook Pro 2011 because I installed something on it.

My setup at work is purely functional, while my home computer is riced to oblivion.

Arch is freedom.

Exactly, it's people like him that give up after the first sign that things don't work instead of
>reading the wiki

any debian based
working with apt is fucking hell
even manually resolving dependencies with slackware/crux is better

Mint is absolutely the worst distro I've ever used. Starting with the desktop environment, it's a gnome fork. I don't like gnome, and they certainly didn't need to fork it. In fact, they should have just themed the shit out of XFCE, it would have behaved the same and been even faster. Next, firefox. They neutered it, they remove google and set yahoo as search by default. You cannot re-add google, it doesn't let you even though the devs say you can on the wiki. Finally, the video player is a total shitstorm. I was testing things in a VM, the video player glitches out and fucks up the video all the time, it's layering is messed up (you can move a window between the window and the actual video part if that makes sense), and it crashes all the fucking time. But this is no normal crash, oh no. IT CRASHES THE ENTIRETY OF VIRTUALBOX. SERIOUSLY HOW HARD DO YOU HAVE TO FUCK UP TO DO THIS HOLY SHIT.

Remember that dirty iso incident? I don't really trust these people any more. P.S. website is ugly.

This shit gets posted every day

Zypper is way better than dnf. Yast is great as well.

>I barely know anything about Linux and yet I've had a really stable and smooth experience using Arch.
>I've used Arch with Cinnamon for the last 18 months with absolutely zero issues

Look at these faggots humble bragging "I don't know shit about computers, but I hacked into a CIA mainframe. No biggie"

You have to spend months of writing config files and doing small tweaks to make Arch usable.

>Can't figure something out? Post on the forum, most people are friendly truth be told, but most

This is nonsense, go to any arch forum and people just say "read the wiki" and if people ask "where?" or "I have read the whole thing" then people answer "read the wiki" or "learn to read". Arch edgelords have never helped anyone.

>answers are just responses to common questions with the answers actually being in the wiki.

Nonsense, what about a common problem like wifi and ethernet cable not working when installing the arch distro. The installer is shit and don't come with any useful drivers and there are no answers for common problems like that. Only problems like "how to change this key in xmodmap" which is not even a proper problem.

99,99% of problems asked in the arch forums have no solutions in the wiki, but absolutely all of them are ONLY answered with "read the wiki"

Most debian based distros

Debian. I love debian-based distros, but debian was my worst experience with a distro. It had no wifi card drivers, so I couldn't install an anythinh new or use the internet at all. When I got the nonfree firmware edition, it wouldn't install grub.

tl;dr i like debian, but holy shit was it ever an asspain.

>You have to spend months of writing config files and doing small tweaks to make Arch usable.
That is the dumbest thing I've ever read

If ANY other distro had an equivalent to AUR, I would agree.

Ubuntu

I laughed so hard at that selfie bottle silliness, I hate humans.

OpenPEPE, second is Memedora. Stay away from those.

>Not having wizard installer in 2016.
>Arch is pure crap only for that. Yeah, I've install it and it worked, but I'm tired to spend my noNEET time fixing shit that should have worked from the beginning.

Here I come, Debian + Cinnamon.

>99,99% of problems asked in the arch forums have no solutions in the wiki, but absolutely all of them are ONLY answered with "read the wiki"
That's because the answer does lie in the documentation but it isn't clearly written out step by step like your hot pocket instructions, Ricky. If you read the documentation and start to understand how the packages work and work together, the answer to your problem will usually be clear.

OpenSUSE

I'm not even memeing
I wanted to like it but YaST kept freezing and the desktop kept crashing

she has spoons for fingers

goddamn

Not sure OP

debian is a bit annoying

>Novell
Your opinion > /dev/null
This happens when you think you know everything and your knowledge is current

korora
broken piece of shit

Windows 10

The AUR is shit bro.
Arch is a good distro, and the AUR is actually bringing it down.

When I used Arch I never found solutions in the arch wiki, but other documentation or even looking into the source code usually have the answers.

It is much better to look at the source code of for example XFCE or it's documentation than the arch wiki which is completely incomprehensible and badly written and usually don't even tackle common problems.

It's a distro for people who like reading documentation.

>That's because the answer does lie in the documentation

Never in the arch wiki that they tell you to read.

Arch.
It was horrible.

Apricity is a piece of shit imo

kubuntu is awful

>manjaro
Honestly because it is the only distro I have had break on me. At the time the installer would not work. It's packages are not really stable. I am not all that big of a fan or pacman or the AUR really. I'm not that big of a fan of all the green themes it comes with, so I usually have to change it. It also completely crapped out on my audio drivers and forced me to move to another distro.

Solus
kevinnet fucked up my NAS, thank god I have backups.