Developer salaries

Developers, what the fuck are you doing ?

I'm a former dev whose been in the director / management field for a few years now and I've been having an impossible time hiring competent devs recently because you stupid fucks are asking for impossible salaries.

Do you realize the damage you're doing to your own field when you demand $150k for mid level Drupal/PHP/Angular position ?

Are you fucks out of your minds?

I'm going to outsource work because I can't find a single competent piece of shit to just maintain a few websites.

Other urls found in this thread:

numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/San-Francisco
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Enjoy working with poo in loos

I work with those fucks, they suck ass. I would rather have one US based dev for a team of six poos

oh boy here we go again, another money thread without saying where you live.

"$100k" in san francisco is like making $30k in a small town.

Having competent devs who arent sreet shitters is rare, you gotta pay the price.

Pay me I need extra income & I'll take a second outsourced job.

But on a serious note, your company is only worth as much as your developers.

DEVELOPERS ARE YOUR HUGEST ASSETS.

I always tell people to tell their salaries in loafs of bread.
I can buy 762 loafs of bread a month with my salary.

you can cheap out and hire poo in the loos to do the monkeying, but you will never got a real thinker with that money.

you do realize how you decide to set a price to your product is the same as how these developers set their salaries right?

that's very little m8, wtf

Hire me boss, I can work remotely or onshore, not a designated, 10 years of experience in .net, js, angular; can learn the php shot in 2 weeks

>hi, i know how to run drush cc
>I only work for a quarter million a year

In USA the equivalent of my salary is 25k$ a month(300k a year). As the bread costs 77% more.

Where do you live user?

>tfw Los Angeles and it's slowly becoming like that

worst of all is it's still ghetto as shit

>$150k for mid level Drupal/PHP/Angular position
Nigga what.

I make around 35k as an automation engineer, fucking webniggers need to get off their high horse.

If you just need to "maintain a few websites" then you don't really need a "mid level" web developer.

I fucking hate this obsession that management has with trying to hire overqualified developers to do something trivial. Especially when you don't even have the budget for it.

Look for someone with ~1 year of experience or a new grad with a couple of internships.

Sounds normal for somebody living in SF

San Francisco isn't the world nigga, they can go fuck themselves. If webcunts and their pleb-tier shit can make that much a year, I should be making half a fucking million by comparison.

It doesn't really matter that they make that much when it costs $3k a month to live in a box over there

Move the fuckout of downtown sf faggot

The problem is not the debs per se, the problem is the companies willing to pay that

I did

The whole bay area is a damn shithole

>I tell people my salary in bread on an American website without living in America

This seems like a pretty good thread to ask.

College CS student here. I have a good bit of free time every week, and by that I mean like 12 hours. I enjoy learning things though.

What are some non-language based things I can learn and know to help build a resume?

I make 200k a year writing Angular. I've had multiple companies contact me and try to offer a position at around 100k. I won't even consider another offer for anything less than 250k. If you want to hire Pajeet for less then you can go ahead. I don't really give a fuck. I'm quite satisfied with my current employment. Good companies recognize the value of good developers.

good question, also wondering

>and know to help build a resume?
work on your github

communication is something that will need to learn to survive in the corporate environment. The best developers and architects are the ones who can understand what their stakeholders required, and articulate back any technical issues or concerns they have.

Currently working in sales, and I can tell you no one gives a fuck what you do as long as you meet their requirements in the allocated time and budget.

>Look for someone with ~1 year of experience or a new grad with a couple of internships

Every single one of these has asked for at least $77k a year .

It's completely insane.

Where are you located ?

Perhaps whatever you're trying to hire them for is not profitable enough to justify doing. Thanks capitalism.

Also, I have never seen a good or maintainable application written from an offshore group. At my last job the company had an offshore rewrite done five years ago and the US based devs were still trying to fix downtime causing bugs in it.

>thanks capitalism

Yes. Producing and maintaining code for a small business would probably be heavily rewarded in countries like Iran and China. That's why all those Americans go to those countries to get well paying jobs.

Oh hey

Do you mean working with plc's and such? Are you some sort of industrial electrician?

I've been thinking of getting into that field because I see a major labour shortage there, if that's you, then how did you get started? What qualifications do your hold? Whats your career trajectory look like?

Because they already have offers for other companies of at least that much. If you aren't willing to pay market value then you can fuck off and hire Pajeet.

Try recruiting some researchers. Pic related.

I left academic research when my student loans became too overwhelming. Salary is pretty good these days but my frugal life style remains. In fact when I lost my job 10 years ago and had to spend some time searching I found that I could live pretty well on what I had.

please do the needful OP

That's not really a good comparison.
The price of a loaf of bread can range from like $1-$6 depending on what kind you get to probably even more for artisinal hipster shit.
Better would just be monthly disposable income after tax, insurance, bills, etc. are paid off.

is that monthly or yearly?

150K is an average salary, stop bitching.

easiest jobs are always the highest paid jobs.

I make 80k a year. What kind of hipsters are you dragging in?

>median salary for graduates from my program is 59k
>already making 62k while still in school doing operations and account management for a large retailer only working 30 hours per week
I don't see the development field being very fruitful.

Oh look, another bourgeois piece of shit blaming workers for his own mistakes.

It is pretty ridiculous, I have a 100k salary from just graduating.

"How much bread do you make?"
"762 loaves a month"
"...."

What kind of bread though?
Potato bread costs more than white, and whole grain costs more than potato

Hey programmer gentlemen what languages would I have to master to nail an average 40k a year job or anything remote.

I don't want anything big I just want to be safe or like a fly on the wall.

>Do you realize the damage you're doing to your own field
You realise it's the other way around, right? Pajeets and beta fucks that are willing to work for minimum wage and get stepped all over are the ones that ruin it for themselves and the rest of us.

Pay me 500k rupees, an i menten your drupals sites for yoo

Maybe in terms of a Cost of Living Index like those in numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/San-Francisco for example then

Cost of living index is meaningless because it assumes that you are spending your entire income and saving none of it. If you live frugally in an area like Silicon Valley you can come out much ahead compared to an equivalent 'Cost of Living' adjusted income anywhere else.

Middle of nowhere USA

Numerical software dev

$130k

I remember traveling to San Francisco a few years back and I could not forget how everyone said it was the greatest City ever and that it is better than LA or New York or Chicago. I have been to all those places and they were good.

When I traveled to San Francisco it was a literal dump. The whole City was covered in fog and darkness. Nobody around it did not have much food places to go to. I could go on and on but San Francisco and the bay area is overrated.

It's regarded as the most yuropeen city in the US :v)

Why don't you just find remote workers in other parts of the US where salaries are lower - or in Canada, where you even get the benefit of a weak Canadian dollar, the same time zones and similar quality talent for what you're looking for (the most common shit ever)? Don't outsource overseas when you can outsource reasonably local.

KEKEKEKEK

Fuck you faggot, I realized recently that cunts like you will happily underpay us, if anything I highly encourage everyone on here to ask about $/£30K more once they have another year of experience or tell their employer to fuck off and move somewhere who will pay them double.

I'm overjoyed to hear we're fucking up your faggot ass life though, I hope people like you rot.

$150k is entry level in the Valley.
Not including incentives.
Also >he fell for the salaries adjusted to cost of living meme

This is America, we measure in big macs, you pinko fag

This question is better asked in /r/cscareerquestions

>I'm going to outsource work because I can't find a single competent piece of shit to just maintain a few websites.

It will end up being more expensive than just paying a competent dev.

You're just too old and in denial that inflation exists.

Bread costs the same in small town America and San Francisco though so it's useless to say that

The difference in the cost of living in the US is almost completely due to rent prices I think

Like Sarajevo, you mean?

>did not have much food places to go

I can understand people calling it a dump but if you say this you clearly haven't really been anywhere in the bay

Join an open source or fandom project and practice working in a team. This will teach you:
* how to write code that other people can read and debug
* how to read and debug other people's code
* how not to trash the repository
* how to avoid breaking the build
* how to work with people who you disagree with
* how to ship a product
* how to do all the unfun things, like documentation and tests
and much more.

Adding to this:
* how to handle security and vulnerability issues, properly.
* how to work with software processes

How do I learn programming and computer science on my own

It's definitely a dump. But you're blind if you didn't see food places.

Using a search engine: google, duckduckgo, yandex, bing!, yahoo...
Whatever you like the most, user.

I am 4 years developer and I still have no idea how to get in to an open source project.
I use github but I just make my own stuff.

>You can ask for $150k as a programmer?

I'd be content with $60
Heck, I'd be content with $40

In both cases I'd be making more money than most high-school teachers in New York.

Yes except you (presumably) have more skills than a highschool teacher and you are selling yourself short if you would settle for 40k

>full stack engineer
>can literally build entire apps end-to-end on my own
>barely earning $45k

where the FUCK are you niggers working

Anonymous
It is a much better idea to learn it in a school. They teach standards and they teach things that your average cunt on youtube can't hope to teach.

Eastside Seattle.

Well, I might be selling myself short but I grew up in a household of 7 that lived on a 29k income.

I guess I just wouldn't know what to do with 150k if I had it. Once food and expenses are paid for, how many plasma screens and gaming computers do you need?

Ever heard of this concept called a brokerage account?

No, actually. What's that?

As
Said, you must be blind. Sorry there aren't tons of shitty burger derivatives and as much crappy fake Americanized Chinese food, but once you stop eating fast food crap you'll see the bay area has some tight food hookups nig

kekd at the picture

I think you should look for new jobs, even stack overflow posts full stack engineering positions with like 77k bare minimum base salary

Save so you can send your children to a good college and set them up with down payment for a reliable car and nice house on land. This way anyway you fuck up as a parent, you can blame them when they fuck it up.
Your kid did drugs and ended up a bum because you neglected to teach them life lessons?
>everything was handed to them, drugs really mess everything up. Where did I go wrong!!!!

Any developer whose company depends on them to produce a product is producing value that far exceeds whatever salary they're getting paid. Stop being a beancounter cheapskate and don't get angry because other companies are willing to pay these people something that represents their value a little more closely.

Look into bug reports on KDE, GNOME, Mozilla etc. and solve it and contribute a patch. Then go fo r the next bug.

Debian is a full on religious movement by now but you could try the same bug killing process on Ubuntu. This should give you a rather varied experience and people would appreciate your contribution.

Just avoid KMail since that is a mad project that went off the rails years ago.

>I make around 35k as an automation engineer
You're working for the wrong company and/or aren't living in the right area. Go where your kind is in demand so you have some bargaining power. If you're out in Bumfuck, Nowhere of course you're going to get paid shit because there's no competition for people in your position.

I'm not even saying to move to the SF Bay Area, just somewhere that's not where you are. Do some research. I guarantee you there's somewhere you can make at least double what you're currently being paid without exorbitant living expenses coming along with the pay increase.

HI. My name is Mike I enjoy rare micro brews at the pub but ONLY after we have written fucking awesome code. Don't get me wrong I'm more about producing quality modular and scalable code. I think workplace 'fit' is the most important part of a developing job - I mean com'on I want to work with other people who are like me and LOVE to code like me!

Yo brian lets go get some lunch and look into implementing this library into some of our server side stuff. Bills on you though! Just kidding. Macbook airs are totally fucking rad ifyou develop like me.

Django, PHP, angular js i need a job that is paying at least 200k. amirite?

>Fresh out of University, with a few well polished projects on github and internships under my belt but no real experience
>Apply to job in Seattle since it's a few hours away, not a big move.
>Ask $60k/year Salary on HR form thinking it's too much but why the hell not
>Asked if I can interview tomorrow
>Told I can start job next Monday immediately after interview
>First week on job, realize I under-bid myself by about $50k/year

Yea, it sucks. After my 6 month probational period, I am going to get mid-way through a project and try to convince them that they need to pay me more. Otherwise I need to go somewhere else.

>110k starting in seattle
maybe at microsoft/amazon. other companies would toss your shit in the trash if you started there though. dont kid urself

You'll have no issues getting a better salary, whether through demanding a raise or changing jobs.

I'm an iOS dev in the SF Bay with a couple years of professional experience and several years of tweaking on personal projects on other platforms before that. I make $135k and if I wanted to I could probably find a place that'd pay me $5-$10k more. In a year I'll be able to apply for "senior"/lead positions paying $160k+ OR I with some effort I could move into a product manager sort of role with similar or higher pay. I personally prefer writing code over of managing shit but the right paycheck could change that.