Who /Fortran/ here?

who /Fortran/ here?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointer_aliasing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Fortan

Found the script kiddie

jouni ny nukkumaa ei helvetti :DD

Fortran is only useful for people who do science on super computers. Nobody else uses fortran

Why is this the case?

tää :D

no pointer aliasing = better compile time optimizations

this is why fortran code wipes the floor with C code for math stuff

As in you can only have one pointer to a given address?

Hmm interdasting

You called?

>babby language
not using cobol

What do you do with it?

I do research in a computational chemistry research group, and a big part of that involves writing code for the program we use.

coolio, what are you specifically researching?

Do you use desktops or a cluster to run your computations?

I'm pretty new to the group myself, so my research t the moment consists learning Fortran. I did do an internship with them though - for that, I studied the stability of various lanthanide complexes using computational software.

We use clusters for the big calculations. We write the input files on our main computers (technically Macs, but a lot of us prefer Linux), then transfer them to the cluster to actually run.

I dont think its necessarily true that fortran is faster in terms of raw performance in current year. It is much easier to develop in fortran though. Especially if you are a scientist and not a software engineer.

writing a game engine in fortran

yes or want to die after a week?

>games

Fuck off

do you hate fun user

> fortran code wipes the floor with C code for math stuff

it doesn't really, in C you can just use "restrict" on a pointer and you will get the same effect. But usually it makes hardly any difference.

it means your pointers are assumed by default to not be aliased.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointer_aliasing

There are more complex cases than just two points pointing to the same given address, they could for instance just point into the same block of memory.

>you called

no i didn't. go back to your pointershit faggot reeee.