/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay
youtube.com/watch?v=3YwBxw8MUKU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for offbrand jumbo SKX

I'm wearing mine too

jumbo image file too, i see

not like anyone looks at this thread on mobile, i guess.

i have finally found the srp787 at a decent price, $250.

the only problem is that it is on ebay, and i hate buying anything on ebay under any circumstance

some of you people who buy watches on ebay tell me if this is alright or what, i literally have never bought anything on ebay

ebay DOT ph/itm/Seiko-Turtle-SRP787-Batman-Automatic-Divers-Watch-SRP787K1-/321893668720

How accurate is yours?
I was worried I would have to regulate it but it's running at a steady +2s a day.
Thats a really great price, especially for one of the "rarer" colors.
Go for it. If anything goes wrong ebay has pretty good buyer protection

holy fuck thats beautiful

the webpage of the guy that makes them definitely sounds like they are some special shit. what is it that's so great about them?

not asking skeptically, just out of curiosity.

god damn look at those bridges.

Now if only it wasn't $14k for the stainless version.

I know nothing about /wt/ thread but say I buy Timex watch is like say I love windows 10 and gaymen laptops?

Low profile, no sharp edges, positive spring-loaded mechanism, not a friction-fit. The only other non-oem deployant I have is by clockwork synergy because I wanted to try out what is essentially a heuer rip-off and it's a stamped piece of shit. Looked for it just now and I think I just threw it away because it is such garbage. Both cost me around $30.

I should have added that I have oem richemont deployants that are friction-fit. They're well-made but I think the RHD is every bit as good at 1/10th? the price of the richemont oems.

the strapped for time ones at least show no signs of stamping. not sure if it's investment casting plus finishing machining or CNC plus finishing machining, but no sheet metal in sight.

i think you meant rip off jumbo skx

Seems about -7 or so.

no, (current production) timex is like you have an 8 year old netbook that literally can't run windows 8

paradoxically, almost any watch from before 1972 is better. you'll figure it out eventually.

What does a stamped clasp in the context of a bracelet or deployant means?

made from cheap sheet metal and will bend until it breaks

Stamped clasps have the folding part made out of thin sheet metal that's stamped into shape. Milled clasps, as the name implies, are milled from a thicker piece of steel and are much sturdier and higher quality generally.

In this case the links are made of folded sheet metal and even worse than the stamped clasp.

What's Sup Forums's opinion on Fossil watches?

Do you guys have an every day wear watch? I currently wear a suunto core, but am looking to change it up.

i wouldn't pay more than $20 for folded links, but i definitely have leather bands in my watchband drawer that are unquestionably worse than any of my folded link bracelets

there's never any good reason to buy fast fashion shit

sinn 856 utc

Fashion watch, i.e. made for normie consumption without care for quality.

What does it mean when a movement is overhauled?

usually means its completely taken apart, cleaned, reassembled, lubricated and timed.

I spent a long time thinking about this, and I honestly think the MarineMaster 300 is a better than the entirety of Omega's range, and is on par with the Submariner.
Anyone disagree?

well, it's definitely not a better chronograph than the speedmaster. you have unquestionably overreached with the claim that it exceeds the *entire* omega range. it's not even debatable.

If you spent a long time thinking about this, maybe you could post some arguments that led you to this conclusion?

I meant diver, it's 2AM..
The main reason why I'm in love with it is that it perfected the luxury tool watch.
The GS movement is much more refined than any of the modded ETAs that Omega uses in the seamasters, but at the same time it's rugged and you don't need to baby it despite the luxury status.
The case is finished on the same level that a luxury watch would be, but at the same time it's sturdy as fuck and is a monoblock design.
Even the hands are beveled and brushed like you would expect from a luxury dress watch, but at the same time they're wide enough to hold a substantial amount of lume.
The bezel isn't ceramic, so it's not blingy, but again, it's lacquered to a very nice level as you would expect from a luxury watch.
The crystal isn't sapphire to be shatter proof, but it's not like they used a regular mineral crystal and called it a day.
It's a double domed (with a very substantial inner dome) AR coated crystal that looks luxury but is purely tool oriented.
A lot of thought went into this watch, much more so than any diver competing with it imo.
It's a steal at 2k as well.

Thanks, but why do a lot of eBay sellers say not to bring your watch to a watchmaker to be serviced?

it's 2am here and i'm also drunk. there are more seiko movements in my house than movements by any other manufacturer and i'm still pretty sure you're wrong.

How so?

The perfected luxury-tool watch is made by Sinn. Seiko's "sturdy" is like tinfoil next to a tegimented case, and Sinn does not ship anything with mineral crystals. You have to go to Grand Seiko for anything made to the same standard.

I like Sinn, but their watches are ugly as fuck, and in reality, you're never going to really need a tegimented case.
The MM300 on the other hand is gorgeous, while at the same time a tool watch.

they are plain, not ugly.

i need the tegimented case at least twice weekly. it's not about impacts. those would smash the crystal or fuck up the movement. it's about changing straps all the time.

Just how shaky are your hands?
Also drilled lugs solve that issue quite nicely.

>you're never going to really need a tegimented case
FWIW, I've scratched a tegimented case

>FWIW, I've scratched a tegimented case
So what's the point then?

it has drilled lugs, mate. my hands don't shake or slip, but if you think you're not leaving marks on the underside of your lugs, then i've got to ask when's the last time you saw an optometrist.

you can scratch a sapphire crystal, too, with a hard enough object.

Thoughts on this?

It's the Misfit Shine with a mesh band. I like how minimal it looks and it also doubles as an activity tracker.

If it's gonna get scratched anyway, what's the point?
Are small scratches on the inside of the lugs such a big deal?
Garbage

damn what are your spring bars made out of

meme shit

Looks like a Ziiiro watch

Just got a 789, paid $300 for it only becuase that one seems to be hard to locate for some reason, just like the 787

Ebay I never worry about becuase if it doesnt show up in the amount of time they give you buyer protection (via paypal) make a claim.

I have ordered seikos from Malaysians and Japs and never had an issue. High seller ratings and tons of reviews are usually a good indicator that you wont get fucked. Most ship EMS express with tracking and signature confirmation too.

Are there any interesting JDM Seiko 5s?

bump

Just paid $300 for this, how'd I do?

Also, should I buy that Orient Trooper on Massdrop? Seems like a good deal.

youtube.com/watch?v=3YwBxw8MUKU

Will someone post the current poorfag guide?

Also, is it generally a bad idea to buy vintage watches?

Currently a Seiko SNK803. I'll be changing it for a Damasko DA38 at some point.

baby's first watch Sup Forums, how did I do?

too big famalam

yup, got that feeling.

that's an understatement

Hello gentlemen

For Christmas I'll buy 2 watches for myself.

Ive narrowed it down to 4 models. Wich one would you exclude, which one would you get?

- Seagull 1963 38mm: this one i'll get for sure

- Sarb033 or 035

- citizen bm8180

- Hamilton khaki auto

Sarb033

It's used as boxer on the weekend in the pub.

yeah probably overreacting but im really worried about there being like one small imperfection like a hairline scratch or something and having to fight it out to get a replacement or refund, or having a problem a few months later

What's the catch with these beautiful and affordable hand-wound USSR watches anyways?

>hand-wound
>USSR watches?
Answered your own question there fampai.

I'd get the sarb and the hamilton.

>left:
-Ariel Adams
-slightly over 6.5" wrist

>right:
-guy from WIAA watch reviews
-claims to have a 7.25" wrist

These wrists are clearly almost identical in size.

Why do people lie about their wrist size?

SARB & Citizen. If you are insistent on getting the Seagull then get that & the SARB then get the Citizen for your next watch.

>What time is it
>Black

this is the most recent afaik

Isn't mid range usually around $3000 in the watch world ?

It's "midrange affordable"

Is there a guide for a tier above "midrange affordable"?

>Isn't mid range usually around $3000 in the watch world ?

Yes, that watch guide is recommending absolute dogshit. Those "affordable" ETA watches they list in the mid-range are literally the worst watches you can buy they have no resale value whatsoever, you will have to spend about as much as you paid for it if it ever needs a service, it has no horological value or prestige associated with it, it will still set you back a few hundred, all while often having iffy water resistance and actual timekeeping accuracy.

I mean christ just buy a fucking Timex if you want something that looks nice and keeps (very good) time. If you want something truly luxurious and a good piece of crafstmanship, save up for a used Grand Seiko, Rolex, Tudor, etc.

And if you just want something with some horological value and a beautiful movement (while not being necessarily being very luxurious or even practical), you can pick up Waltham, Elgin, Hamilton, etc. pocket watches on ebay for a couple hundred dollars.

Either go poorfag Timex or richfag Rolex, anything in the middle is just a waste of money and you should feel bad if you ever convince someone to buy one.

save up a little more.

No, that would be dumb.

Are you guys hungover or something?

I'm asking for a guide with some good watches in the tier above midrange affordable.

What don't you understand?

Just buy a rollie senpai.

Hey i would like to start moding my watches but i dont know where to buy cheap tools
Can somone recomend me were to buy non trash tools?

The "midrange affordable" tier is priced around 500.
A rolex costs about ten times as much, so I'd say rollies are a few tiers above "midrange affordable".

It doesn't exist, any watches more expensive will be a shitload lot more expensive or overpriced. Buy one of those midafford ones or spend more money on a real watch.

There are no watches priced between 500 and full-blown Swiss?

Do you have brain problems, or is Sunday your "talk shit out my ass" day?

>There are no watches priced between 500 and full-blown Swiss?

Grand Seiko.

There are no watches priced between 500 and Grand Seiko?

seiko brightz.

They're literally all shit. Again, just buy a fucking Timex or stop being stingy.

Jesus christ, the shitposting is real.

You are the only one shitposting. There is no watch between those that will be better than any of the midrange affordable ones unless you want to spend real money, which you are clearly too poor to do.

You fucking narcissistic jew.

Did you expect you'd get serious replies after asking a dumb question and following it up by acting rude?

>There is no watch between those that will be better than any of the midrange affordable ones unless you want to spend real money
So there are no good watches around 1k-2k?
Watches that offer definite advantages over 500$ watches?

If you have no idea what you're talking about, just don't reply.

How was my question dumb?

>So there are no good watches around 1k-2k?

Not really. Virtually eveything in that price range is ETA based and almost 100% of them charge that much based on clever marketing, not because of appreciable differences in quality relative to the $300-500 watches. Oris is probably the genuinely nicest in that price range but even then you're just pissing money away. If you can afford something that costs $1000-2000 then you can obviously just wait longer and get something $3000+, which is when you get into actual luxury watches that hold value, have in-house movements, and have some prestige amongst watch enthusiasts and women you're trying to impress.

>Watches that offer definite advantages over 500$ watches?

Commies made a shit ton of them real cheap.

They're terrible movements. But cheap.

>They're terrible movements.

I don't doubt you, but can you elaborate about their quality.

I've never owned one and was wanting to get one for fun.

>MOTFM
>O
>T
>F
>M

>there are no good watches around 1k-2k

Well you are free to buy a meme Apple watch or other smartwatch that love to release shit in this price range to gullible idiots like you who think they are actually getting a good "expensive" but is actually just overpriced shit.

So what about the Christopher Ward C8?
Or the some of those Seiko SARW watches (under 1k, nicer movement and materials and finishing than SARB), or the new transocean, or the marinemaster?

This is off the top of my head, and keep in mind I was the one asking for examples in this price range.

>If you can afford something that costs $1000-2000 then you can obviously just wait longer and get something $3000+
Chriiiiiiiist.

Shitpost of the day award.

Why do people write articles for that shit? Like I can't figure on my own what to do when I'm doing to my death
Also Orient Mako blue or black?

>buy the watch but dont look inside stupid goy

movement is probably shit and destroyed. Watchmaker will tell you the thing is trash, most likely.

Nice trips