Now that the dust has settled

now that the dust has settled,
is windows 10 a decent upgrade from 7?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3165
forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3191.
youtube.com/watch?v=pu9Kx-m3-zg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like it, not much to say about it since it keeps out of my way.

no, it's a downgrade

No.
If only theres a way to use EFI on Windows 7....

Until something major comes along that is windows 10 only, I plan to stay on 7.

what

posted from my uefi only + gpt win7 install

what do you gain from EFI anyway? for example, if I try to boot memtest in EFI mode, the whole system just reboots, but in legacy mode it works just fine.

I upgraded from 10 to a clean 7 Professional yesterday. I need it for my new chinese CNC, hadnt used Windows 10 for half a year.

forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3165

Scott Mueller surely knows his shit and always used to be rather Microsoft-oriented, so if even he is convinced that the OS is garbage then I think it surely does speak volumes (no pun intended given Scott's main occupation as a writer of 1000+ page tomes).

Oh, and forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3191.

No. It's still shit. MS backdoors and bugs and a bad UI.

how about instead of sharing some irrelevant cucks opinion, you give your own?

>Scott Mueller
Literally who?

BOTNET
O
T
N
E
T

Windows 10 Anniversary Update is the worst big update they released and all other patches keep breaking more shit.

I don't know what they do with the forced telemetry but it certainly isn't bugfixes.

It just feels more Android-y. The app store and auto install features are superb, just leave you originality by the door

The dude is an expert in PC hardware (and not only that) since over three decades now and is author of probably the most comprehensive PC hardware encyclopedia (Upgrading and Repairing PCs, now in 22nd edition), but what would he know. A "literally who" irrelevant "literally who" user's opinion is worth so much more, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=pu9Kx-m3-zg

ok but can you tell me how his dick tastes? ;)

as a complete computer noob the functionality of windows 10 is a huge upgrade. especially the control panel/settings layout. everything is in much better order and easier to read and understand as a layman.

as for the whole spying,scanning and botnet stuff i wouldnt know since its kept a secret from me

not sure if im wrong but windows 10 seems to have 2 separate menus for various things.
is this true or am i trippin?

I don't think his wife posts here.

only reason i've stuck with win10 is that all the peripherals what required 32bit drivers (couldn't get them to work under win7 64bit so had to use a vm running win7 32bit) now work fine under win10 64bit. even stuff that only had xp 32bit drivers are working now.

I'm not going to buy your book Scott. You're old, you're out of the loop, generally you know fuck all about computers

Now gtfo please

That's all good and well, but what are you gonna do when Windows 7 reaches EOL in 3 years time?

I'm buying a Thinkpad for my father soon and don't know if I should leave him with Windows 7 and force him to upgrade at the end of 2019 or move him to Windows 10 now that he still hasn't turned into an Alzheimer retard.

Unless he needs a program which really need Windows, you could just install one of the friendlier Linux distros (like Mint for example).

Win 10 is great. My personal though was 8 interface, so i adjust 10 interface to bring back the Metro panel instead of start. No idea why they went back to Start shit - Metro was great.

Its bloated too much though.

The reason that I'm reluctant to move him to Windows 10 now is exactly because he goes batshit when a small thing changes.

Documents are written in Word, spreadsheets are made in Excel and mails are opened through Outlook. That's is gonna stay the same for him until the day he dies.

The answer this question and most other questions is windows/linux dual boot, or even better solution having to different machines, one running windows and another linux

>is windows decent?
ftfy
anything past windows xp is dogshit

Hasn't the "telemetry" botnet startled all the 10 advocates? I couldn't even imagine the public outrage if (assuming that it would have been technologically viable at that time) Windows 95 had similar "features" 20 years earlier. Microsoft would have been sued into oblivion, if not by third parties of a class action, then by the government itself. But somehow now almost everyone has become a literal sheeplet who claims that it's just raining while the're being spat on right in the face.

it's actually better, if you prefer 7 then it's not a big deal though.

Yes

most people run programs with telemetry on their computers already, whether it be steam or chrome or firefox, etc.
If they don't care about those, then you can understand why they don't care about Windows doing it.

Well, then you have really two options left, give in and migrate him to 10, or leave him on 7. The other two options are migrating either to Linux or to Apple, but if he's so reluctant to change then I guess those latter two aren't viable.

XP was one of the most unstable and insecure OS's in Windows history. You must be 16

Didn't have any problems so far

>whether it be steam or chrome or firefox

Have you read the terms of use of Windows 10? Because somehow I don't think that either Steam or Firefox reserve the right to track literally everything you do and store on your computer.

Sure thing pal, businesses have been using it for over a decade (and some are still using to this day because all software they need works and the OS itself is rock-solid on any usable hardware from about 2012 and earlier).

Terms of Use don't really mean shit.
Legally they're nothing, all they really allow companies to do is ban you from their services.
Usually they'll include as many things as possible in their terms.
For example Windows 10 says they can disable pirated software and games in their terms of use.
They have yet to do this since launch for anyone, probably because they couldn't if they tried.

We're not talking about terms of use though, we're talking telemetry.
Steam will send data to Valve even when you've opted out of Hardware Survey, even if you aren't doing anything with friend's list offline.
This is exactly the type of stuff people were skeptical of Windows for doing, I remember Forbes wrote up a big article because Windows kept trying to sync weather and time data when they blocked the IP.

Yes. Totally worth it. The new anniversary update made it even more enjoyable for me. No issues.

>doesn't remember pre-SP3 wild ride
Underage confirmed

I don't like these generalized statements "it's good" "it's bad".
The shortest answer I can give you is that there are more cons than pros.

While for most people W10 will work OK, just like every Windows version, the reduced quality control/testing coupled with frequent "big updates" is why I can't recommend it to anyone who wants a stable and predictable experience.

no, since it is literally a malware

>sends "telemetry"
>enforces "updates"
>invalidates/removes programs the user has intentionally installed
>denies access to the hardware for prolonged intervals/reboots the operating environment so it can do "housekeeping"
>activates internet access without permission

The "wild ride" was in 2003, that's why SP2 took so long to make and why it changed so much. SP3 didn't bring much to the table at all stability-wise. Everyone was on XP long before that. You were using what until 2008, Windows 98?

Yes

>The "wild ride" was in 2003
Stopped reading here. Underage.

Dont think thats worth the effort.
In the beginning I was happy with Win10, but after one year I was so annoyed of some updates resetting my default programs (Fuck you Microsoft Edge) and settings like Fastboot, that I switched to ArchLinux on my Laptop

>That's all good and well, but what are you gonna do when Windows 7 reaches EOL in 3 years time?

Use Win8.1 for games, and Gentoo for everything else

Get the SP1 iso of Windows 7. It supports UEFI natively.

No. Win 10, both 1507 and 1607 feel like unfinished products.

>Win 10, both 1507 and 1607 feel like unfinished products.
All versions of Windows were unfinished products when released. At least now we get to actually participate in public beta and give feedback

Keep using Windows 98, it's so much more stable that XP ever was, isn't it.

7 is better. Tried so hard to like and tweak 10 however I ve had only issues and regret with it. Once I build me new PC i m def upgrading back to 7.

Does the UI still look like the stitched-together work of a dozen different teams of Pajeets?

Now you're just being an idiot

Yes. Still twoo control panels, moving you fromone to another for no reason, even on LTSB 2016.

At best so far they've tweaked around element-positions. No other changes.

To be fair new control panel provides mostly the same functionality now and they're still working on it.

The real problem is there's no fucking way to expose custom control panel applets to UWP because they're W32 app themselves. Best you can do is to have a list of them and when you click an item it opens the same old shitty legacy applet. That or force all developers of third-party applets to rewrite it using new API

>To be fair new control panel provides mostly the same functionality now and they're still working on it.
Barely, it provides none of the functionality of the old one. More so, it completely breaks if EnableLUA=0

The ugliest shit and some idiot defend it.

I'll continue using W7. It's not like my PC will self destruct when support ends.

The same can be said of XP right now.

Truth of the matter is that it's not Microsoft who kills one of their OSs, but rather third parties who eventually retire support for it. An operating system dies with the latest hardware which had stable drivers for it. Another thing is security like updated network service clients, certificate lists, etc.

If that's true, and you add to this the telemetry and all other bullshit it's known for, then how come anyone actually defends it? Is it just morons who are fine with it, or is Microsoft inertia much stronger than anyone had suspected? Or yet something else? It's a genuine puzzle.

People who barely know how to use a PC, I guess.

Firefox brings its own certificates, unlike Chromium which uses system's. H/W manufacturers to survive they have to provide drivers for the most used OS.

>ugliest

try rolling back from win10, holy shit just realize how crap windows7

Bingo.

I use 10 in a VM (host is 7), and holy crap, W10 is god-awful, even worse than 8. W7 is the best looking Windows by far.

But nobody makes XP drivers for new hardware anymore I guess, and Firefox is due to retire XP support with 52.0, which means that XP won't receive any new root certificate updates either - once these expire, you can forget about making secure connections.

We know that you are proud and fond of your work on Windows 10, Pajeet, but it's poo. I'm sorry.

>But nobody makes XP drivers for new hardware anymore I guess
Driver model has changed since XP -> Vista. It has not changed anymore since Vista though.

They block only the installer from running under XP. Firefox will continue to run. You can get a .zip archive from their ftp.

Is Windows 10 really a botnet though?

From Enterprise LTSB

>what are you gonna do when Windows 7 reaches EOL in 3 years time?

Microsoft is probably going to extend it another year or 3, but not until shortly before the deadline. A lot of businesses and government have applications that are legacy that barely run on 7 and for a number of reasons don't run on 10.

Only gaymen need Windows 10.

hell yea it is. The fucking calendar app wants access to your microphone and web cam

Nobody cares about the meme "expiration date", if they did they'd switch to 10 already. If you wanted an up to date OS you'd use Linux/GNU, Windows 10 or Mac OS. Windows 7 will still be perfectly usable for the next 10 years, but it's ridiculous saying it's still "supported" right now when there's plenty of software exclusive to 8/10 and it's clear Microsoft is abandoning older operating systems for SpywareOS 10.

>Yuliya
be my gf PLEASE I LOVE YOU I'LL DO ANYTHING FOR YOU

>he uses a commercial OS and pays so he can be a beta tester (or he does it for free)
>he gives his private data to microsoft for free so they can sell it to advertisers
>he thinks they care about your feedback (protip: they don't)

that's exactly why you're a virgin and single

>not having Call of Chernobyl in that list

Пpивeт Юлия. Кaк дeлa?

I will get the other two STALKER games. I always wanted to, but never got time. Thanks for reminder.

У тeбя ecть BКoнтaктe? :^)

(an attempt was made)

cyкa блядь
иди нaхyй

ex dee

>force normies to "upgrade" en masse by slipping them an update that basically forces W10 to install
>force gaymers to "upgrade" by not releasing DX12 for W7
>W10 a shit
>rollback is broken

Fuck MS.

>У тeбя ecть BКoнтaктe?
Дa. (:

пoжaлyйcтa gib

Tы oткyдa? дaлeкo oт Mocквы или Caнкт-Пeтepбypгa

>that's exactly why you're a virgin and single
I'm single because I ask girls to date me? I don't think not asking will cause me to be not single though

is this you? Please be my Ukraine wife I will give you green card you will be very happy in America

It's a piece of shit that installs random games for no reason at all. Constantly scans the disk slowing shit down for no reason. Just about any service you disable to make it faster will automatically restart without your permission.

The interface is disgusting to look at. It's just an UGLY OS and the only reason it's relevant is because MS is deliberately cripling 7.

c eбиcь нaдpoд :)

>Thinking there's any threat from Microsoft's telemetry

ITT: people who can't read

you need to use a USB drive.
i tried using hacks, swapping SOURCE files from win10, win8, out for win7, but it's impossible to install efi win7 from disk.

flash drives work really well on the other hand.
faster install too.

My laptop came with 10 preinstalled, with every update it gets slower, so, unless you're gaming, I'd say stay on 7.

it's for installing disks on GPT, which supports a fucktonne of partitions on harddrives, and >2TB storage space.

>MS backdoors and bugs and a bad UI.
constantly checks for and updates
>want to test an overclock, or shit for stability?
say goodbye to your windows install cause it crashed while forcibly updating!
then there's the fact that it default downloads and installs malware (minecraft, onebook, microshit store) bunch of other programs i would never install nor want...

>press start
>try searching for something on your pc
>this shit instead puts bullshit from the internet/store on the top rather than the exact fucking word i searched which is on my pc
>press enter starts installing it immediately
this shit is so fucking bad, i understand why they're giving it away free.

It is definitely possible to install Win7 onto a GPT disk in UEFI mode from DVD. It must be a proper 64-bit image, only that supports UEFI. If you are trying to install from the combined 32/64-bit image it won't work, as it doesn't have the necessary EFI support files.

>source: successfully installed 7 in UEFI mode from DVD in the past

sceptical

If you do a clean install of win10 preloaded with all update (like build 1607 if I remember correctly), and do a few small modifications here and there it works really well. I'm happy with it.

BUT!!! The upgrades from win7 and win8 to win10 was the FUCKING worst. Jeebus I had to fix a ton of computers for friends and family each and everyone having its own unique set of problems as a consequence of the update.
Also I don't know why the fuck Microsoft thought it was a fantastic idea to treat some updates like FULL windows upgrades (like upgrading win8 to win8.1 or win8.1 to win10), when it's just a bump in kernel version. That was not needed in win7 with the service pack and other updates, so why the hell is it different in win10?
The anniversary update was installed as a new windows upgrade and it fucked a hell of a lot of pc's. Oh so you have spent Four hours finding some obscure driver for for you laptop so win10 would work? Well fuck you because doing an update like the anniversary update resets all drivers so you have to find it again.

Why do Microsoft keep doing shit like this? By itself win10 is breddy gus but then they stick this shit in your face.

>too dumb to use windows 10
how did you ever afford a computer?