Yfw a truck is faster than your internets

>yfw a truck is faster than your internets

nextpowerup.com/news/31974/amazon-will-use-actual-18-wheeler-to-transport-data-to-cloud/

Sometimes it's not just about speed...
Sometimes cost is a big factor. Especially if you live in Canada.

Makes a lot of sense.
Especially with video productions.
Unfortunately data transmission standards havent progressed as quickly as the rest of the tech industry. It's still confusingly easier to load up hard drives and physically ship them than it is to try and load it over networks.

haha suck it Canadanian fags

hows it feel to living an a nation literary going backwards, GG 420 WEED BLAZE IT, Sorry also datacaps.

Also, doing math. 100 Petabytes of Data. Delivered in 24 hours. That's, uhhhh, 1,157,407.40 MB/s. Or 9,259,259.26 Mbps
Or 9,259.26 Gigabits per second.
That's pretty good fucking data transfer speeds, bro.

Now, ingesting and re-storing that data, well, thats another matter entirely. And for cost? Yeah, couldn't tell ya.

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes barreling down the highway"

>triggered leaf

>tfw 8.64e+7ms latency

I bought a 480GB SSD for 100€ yesterday in Scandinavia. So much for your freedoms and "low" taxes

That image is from, like, back in 2011 when they were pushing these caps to be established.
They got established.
Also, Canada=/=America.
We pay higher-taxes, and lack the same "freedum" as our friends below the belt-line.

Using the postal service to transfer large amounts of data is nothing new.

Kinda weird to use an entire truck though.
How often would you need to transfer that much data?
I'd think only when you just start a new data center and want to clone your old center.

So much for reading comprehension.

The image is from Canada and 2011.

So Canadians would do all that to save 6 cents per gb or whatever monopoly money they use?

I have better latency, though.

That was in 2011 money.

Now, a 160gb SSD is ~$85 CAD
or 0.54/GB
And I'm fairly sure saving $3,113.60 to send 160gbs of data to somewhere else in Canda is a pretty good fucking deal, instead of paying that retarded overage fee because your ISP believes you don't need more than 200Gbs a month in download/upload.

And this is why Canada should just be nuked and turned into a car park.

What, you people really have data caps?
Yuropoor here, 21€ for 200/100 internet without cap.

The price of not getting raped by Muslims every other day, something Eurocucks would never know

Cloning data centers is exactly what it's for, user.

Say you've got a company that serves Libraries with a pretty complete online lookup of books, ratings, information, covers, and more from your own databases. Rather than keep losing money running your own data centers, you decide to put it in Amazon's hands, to serve all this information out to Libraries who use your service. You might have several petabytes of stored information (text, backend, covers, video, redundancy, and more). Rather than make it an arduous process to transfer all this via internet to Amazon, you can have this truck do it. Even if you don't have 100 Petabytes of information, if this truck is running to 3 clients over the course of a month, to grab their data before heading back, it's still totally better than trying to ship Amazon several thousand Hard-Drives by shipping container.

We have Metro City Areas bigger than some of your countries, however. If we had the same GDP/km2, I'd REALLY hope our internet would be better, too.

Dunno about that, no refugees here, neither muslims or niggers, don't even know any jews.

>We have Metro City Areas bigger than some of your countries
Don't act like Yurop is a country itself.

You never had to migrate live data, did you?
Also, amazon bills you by outbound traffic, so you might always be at a loss for already running services, you'll have to move to aws, because some managment dickhead thinks it's cheaper.

My comment pretty explicitly states that I know Europe is made up of multiple countries.

I have, but not on a petabyte scale. Most just like migrating small groups that are getting larger to colos or migrating out of colos.
Also, AWS can be a far better option in some cases. I'm no AWS guru by any means, but I've dicked around a good bit with it. I don't think it's really a great idea to have it run file services and domain stuff by itself, if you're a small rehab clinic. But if you're trying to coordinate shared files, domain control, accounting, and HR between 4-5 locations in a few different states, AWS can make a lot of sense.

>Yuropoor here, 21€ for 200/100 internet without cap.

Where?? I pay 35€ for 6/1 here in Germany. no data caps, but idk if I'd be even able to download 200GB if I let it run 24/7

>Where??
Not Germany
My average monthly download is 6TB, no problems

>We have Metro City Areas bigger than some of your countries
Which makes it even more retarded that you dont have proper internet in 2016.

I pay 10€ per month in Finland for 100/100. Fuck i live in the middle of the woods far away from the big cities