Do most people here use the proper way to type? I have a really hard time learning this...

Do most people here use the proper way to type? I have a really hard time learning this. Up till now I was using my index finger as a pivot while hovering over whole keyboard without using the home row.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11802528
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the nubs are to find the home row without looking, you can learn where every key is without looking by just using the nubs as a reference point.

I know that feel, OP. I also type like a retard, only using 2-3 fingers on each hand. I just wasn't taught to type right and don't know how to learn it now.

i do but i only recently learned it.

I don't because I am a retarded nigger faggot.

There is only one way to type correctly.
TWO FINGERS MASTER RACE

I type up to 156wpm not using homerow but I believe I still use all my hands

I'm actually going to recommend you DO learn homerow if you can, though. I type on over half the keyboard with my left hand, and if I'm at top speed too long my left arm starts to burn and if I push through the pain my fingers don't move right for a while. I'm just too stubborn to stick to homerow because it'd mean a tremendous drop in speed, speed I've gotten really used to.

>I still use all my hands
meant all my fingers

this

Yes. I am home-row-style typist and can type any ASCII character (including numbers and symbols) without looking at the keys. Once you're past that, using the rest of the keys (modifiers, F-keys etc.) is also easy as they are either at the edge of the main key cluster, or clustered in small groups.

For maximum comfort it's important to place your keyboard so that the gap between G and H is lined up with the center of your monitor. I also recommend using an ANSI keyboard instead of an ISO one if only possible (the return and left shift keys are more easily reachable from the home row thus straining the pinkies less, not to mention that the symbol placement is much more sensible, which is important if you program and/or do a lot in the shell).

I use ten fingers but not in the proper way.
Too old to learn.

Typing should be a mandatory subject for school kids IMO.
Imagine how many trillions of dollars are wasted in the economy by people typing too slowly and making too many errors.

>Typing should be a mandatory subject for school kids IMO.
It was for me. Not for a long time, but we definitely took time out regularly to use "Type To Learn" in third grade. When my parents were in school they used Mavis Beacon or something.

>TWO FINGERS MUSTARD RACE
ftfy

ppl who can't type without looking at the keyboard are fucking low-IQ morons.

Look mon I can type without looking at the keyboard. I am so smart. Even Einstein can't do that.

[spoiler]moron[/spoiler]

>retard gaymer
gtfo to your containment board.

>156wpm

I'd like to see that.

typing blindly is not about IQ, its muscle memory

Get on my level, scrub.

the best way to learn 10-finger is to switch to a completely different layout like Dvorak or one of the many other alternative ones. If you do that, you will have to work from a blank sheet to learn the layout, which means you can do it properly. I could not imagine switching to 10-finger on qwerty after having developed and internalized all kinds of "wrong" fingerings for 10 years.

Plus you'll be on a sane layout. 10 finger on qwerty must be hell.

I like my pinky way too much to do this shit

99wpm

if you're self taught you probably type like a retard too

>QWERTY
>"correct"

Lel

learning to use both shift keys and ctrl + alt with your left hand for {[]} symbols is hugely worth it for me at least

I can type without looking at the keyboard. That doesn't mean I'm a good typist. I'm a shitty typist. I'm one of those self-taught fags that only uses his index and middle fingers. I can only clear something like 50wpm, with a fair amount of mistakes.

same

girly hands

is it easier to type with smaller hands?

>girly hands
they're not.
>smaller hands
they're not, unless you think anything short of being able to palm a basketball "small" can stretch from the first to fifth-sixth fret on a guitar.

nice meme and thanks for the (You). i'm collecting.

i truly was not memeing, you just have feminine hands .. it's really not a big deal, bro

This is your final (You) if that's the extent of effort you're going to put into this.

I use most of my fingers on the left hand but only ever type with index finger on the right (with very few exceptions)

Trump is clearly triggered.

8-finger myself.
Left pinky & right thumb don't do anything, not even modifier keys. I exclusively use right thumb for spacebar and right pinky for shift, they never touch alphanumerics.
140 WPM average.

same shit thread and you got dumped on last time, just realize that guy was right and your going to have to learn to touch type or kys if you want to pursue that career

nice baby hands

beta as fuck

I use my two thumbs for most of the two bottom rows of the keyboard and never use my pinky fingers.

I can still average 100+ wpm tho

Alt-layoutfags, do you have any difficulty going back to QWERTY or is it like riding a bike?

This. Everyone at my school was taught to touch-type using the home row. I think I'm the only one who actually learned to, though.

this

I used to have my own retarded way to touch type, but a few years ago I forced myself to learn to type properly. I went from 90wpm to 90wpm. My accuracy sucked shit though, so I forced myself to learn to touch type with all fingers correctly. Now I'm at 90wpm again with 99.7% accuracy.
Why can't I go faster than 90wpm?

hunt and pecker

I usually use the wrong finger for the shift key. I tend to use the same hand to hold shift and type the letter I need capitalized. I try to be mindful of this and correct it, but it's so ingrained that I default back to the wrong way of doing it.

Most people probably do. I don't because I never learned it.

No, I just learned to type decently fast without looking at the keyboard naturally I guess, no specific "method" or anything like that. Muscle memory simply developed naturally. I can manage like 80WPM or something like that, more than fast enough for anything I do. I generally don't even try to type full speed most of the time.

muh hunt and peck brethren

Do you even need to go faster than 90WPM? What for, high-speed shitposting?

I just noticed that I don't really use my thumbs at all when typing, lel. I hit the space bar with my right index finger, this shit is so fucking weird and I never even noticed. I also only ever use my left pinky for Shift/Tab/the rare Caps Lock and my right pinky for Enter.

I use a really retarded method of touch typing which involves:

> pressing space-bar with left index finger.
> keeping left hand hovering over WASD.

Probably developed it when I used to no-life TF2 and chat shit.

right index finger*

Yeah, same. I tried getting into the habit of using my thumb, but can't really be arsed. Unless I get RSI or something, I probably won't evaluate my typing habits.

Yeah it's weird for me too. I never had any sort of pain or issues from typing, so I'll probably never change, don't even see the point of doing so really.

It is difficult. It's like when you first start learning a different layout. I don't use qwerty enough for it to stick in my memory.

There is no such thing as a "right way" to type considering the layout of input device is intentionally bad.

the shitposting industry is very competitive

No the proper way is designed to cause discomfort and pain

whats your wpm in dvorak desu?

Typing properly was pretty encouraged at my school.
But I, personally, never actually have a shit so now I don't type the "normal" way. I can still type pretty fast but it's not as fast as it could be.

You have to be 18+ to post here

>not being a left pinkie patrician

>lshift + wasd + space for left hand
>space + l + - + = + backspace/enter for right hand

It just werks

>Dvorak
fuck yes, my african-american compatriot. Typing on Dvorak right now.

Nope, I never bothered. I have ~80wpm average with good accuracy from years of shitposting.
>Imagine how many trillions of dollars are wasted in the economy by people typing too slowly and making too many errors.
definitely nowhere near a trillion dollars. and school is soul-sucking enough already. the last thing we need is to make kids waste their childhoods on even more tedious bullshit to make them slightly more productive workers.

just got 35 words per minute
>pursuing a career in tech
>should i kill myself?

lmfao I just tested myself typing and I use only the inxed, middle and pointer finger on my left hand and my middle and pointer finger on my right hand, and I use my pinkies for backspace, shift and enter. I've never paid attention to the way I type before, I'm self-taught from when I was playing runescape twelve-thirteen years ago.

when I took a weekly keyboarding class in high school, I never switched to homerow for the class and there was only one kid who had a higher wpm than me, so I've always thought of homerow as a literal meme.

41 going autistic with index and middle looking at keyboard

My hands are to big for most keyboards. So up until recently typing was difficult, but pick up an unusually wide keyboard from a thrift shop and type properly is actually possible. Also are there any wide spaces mechanical other than that bigkey flashing autism sign.

I'm more curious - people who touchtyped like this but learned homerow recently - how did you force yourself into it? I currently have a typing style that uses primarily my two index fingers, thumbs for space, pinky for modifier.

Would I see any improvements in using the home row method? I'm used to my autistic claw grip method where half my hand is on the top row and half on the home row

It would seem that most anons here, even if they type quite fast, use some weird non-standard technique rather than the classical homerow-based one.

What can you type without looking?

strawpoll.me/11802528
strawpoll.me/11802528
strawpoll.me/11802528

I was never able to type like that, and my elementary school teachers gave me shit for it all the time in typing class.
Even though Runescape had me touch typing 110wpm when i was 9
Cunts

I kinda just rest my hands over the keys, pointer on w, thumb on space, left pinkie between e and w
Right hand is usually pinkie on enter and thumb on v

hey dude, can you post a link?
I have big ass hands as well and i never even thought about that. I have a problem typing "properly" because of how long my fingers are.

I can touch type, but I use a self developed hybrid of that and just using 3 finger on each hand

gtypist master race reporting in

that shit made me go from cucked index-and-middle-finger-only 70wpm with the lights on to alpha as fuck 130wpm touch typist. gnu is where its at famalam

>type to learn
Thanks user. I used that in third grade as well and I've been looking for the name of that program so that I could get it for my younger brother. Looking forward to him learning how to type properly.

>not using pinky
Its a good thing you figured that out. I just switch to that method when i notice my wrists are getting pain in a long run fast typing. Im from 82 and reached 120 average wpm without encountering any sudden aching.

I don't because I am a retarded nigger faggot.

I tried touchtyping. I got to the point where I was mostly able to do it properly.

Then I got to use the shift key and punctuation. And I said fuck it.

>there are people on Sup Forums right now who can't type without looking at the keyboard

baka

the left side of my left hand hurts after a while of typing that way

How do the touch typists here feel about the traditional keyboard having been replaced by chiclet keyboards (completely on laptops and largely as far as rubber-dome PC keyboards are concerned)? Will a mechanical keyboard be the only safe space for a touch typist in the future? How do you cope with the current laptop keyboards?

You done goofed. You should have persevered. The ultimate goal is to be able to touch type all letters, numbers, and symbols (and preferably also all modifiers and other keys, but the graphical symbols are most essential). If you went back to hunting and pecking, all the effort you had made by hat time has gone to waste.

The keycaps of the newer thinkpads is pretty much the best because it's got a sharp edge so it's easier to feel your way around the keyboard compared to the older style keycaps.

Shame about the shitty layout.

You mean the sharp edge is where? At the sides of the keys?

Also, they are still chiclet. Chiclet gunna chiclet, how could it possibly be any good?

I can type pretty well but I just found out my dominant typing finger is my middle finger. I always thought it was my index.

I have my own retarded way to type, idk how i can explain it, but i've been doing it since is started using computers.

I hoover around 90-100 wpm, 110 when i have hade coffee

>when i have hade coffee

us coffee junkies, uh? xDD

I have no real position, I generally change depending on the position I'm sitting in. I type fast and don't make mistakes so I don't really care about having the "correct" position.

i don't mean drink a cup, when i plan on staying up for a long time i drink a can of coffee and have my heart go at 200% speed

>no visible hair on the back of his hands

legitimately feminine

anyone else remember making little creatures with Mavis Beacon in grade school?

i do

easily 15 years ago, i used a program to learn how to type properly

it was called typing master or something like that. you just played games while typing things on screen

in a matter of a month i was typing without looking at the keyboard

next step, basically none: just keep using your computer while typing right... so that you learn on each stroke

it is like bicicle: once you learn the basics, everything else comes from every day usage

>not using the thumb for the space key

>using the index finger for the space key

this is triggering me into infinitum

my fuck

So THIS is where they got the ideas for spore and no man's sky...
>inb4

if you have big hands it's tough to use thumbs for space bar. having thumbs that high really crowds everything in too tight. my thumbs are naturally several inches below the space bar.

I'd rather type 110 wpm with 100% accuracy than being that insane.

i dont know if you are the guy from the video
but if that is the case, pls take notice that you are literally resting your left thumb over the space bar during the whole thing

the video guy needs to up his thumb game ASAP

>elementary school tried to teach me typing
>"nah screw computers"
>turn 20
>"how do I shot web?"
I'd like to go balls deep and learn touch typing with Dvorak instead of QWERTY.