*pill me

>grew up as a Windows XP baby
>as a kid found Runescape, then CS1.6 and eventually just fell for the gayming meme
>built a decent group of friends throughout highschool who were into games and we played vidya together
>thought I was pretty decent when it came to computers because I could use Google, build a decent PC, use basic knowledge to troubleshoot problems and liked to stay informed on what was new

>lurk Sup Forums
>find out there's a lot more to a computer than just navigating baby GUIs
>find out there are operating systems that are completely customisable to your own specific use case
>find out that the majority of software and even the actual operating systems that most people are using are collecting and selling your data
>really want to switch but can never bring myself to making the change

Did you guys sort of just install and play around?
Did you/do you have any programming experience?
What are the good things you've discovered being a GNU/Linux baby or making the switch yourself?

At the moment I just have a rMBP which I use for most of my simple shit, media consumption and all that. And whenever I want to play a game (which seems to be less and less these days) I just go onto my piece of shit Windows desktop and hope it runs okay on my GTX 650.

Computers are becoming less and less interesting to me and I think it's because of a lack of /installing gentoo/ in my life. Will this be the begin of a new found love of computing, possibly learning a programming language and actually enjoying myself, or will I just find out it's a different way to do the same boring thing and switch back/never come back?

thoughts? help?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bo1Tf7StpZM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1. You install Linux distro
2. Spend 5 years trying to polish a turd
3. Realize all operating systems are essentially the same
4. You go back to Windows and use it like a power user

>media consumption

Please don't use terms like "media consumption" or "productivity". They are idiotic buzzwords used by pretentious twats who think talking like this makes them sound smarter. What the fuck is "media consumption"? Say "watching movies". "Looking at pictures". Maybe just "media", dude. "Consumption" is such a dry fucking word. We're talking jacking off on the computer. Do you say "It is time to consume food" or "I'm gonna grab something to eat"?

Just because it's computer-related doesn't mean you have to speak like a machine. It's fucking childish, don't do it.

How high functioning are you?

What kind of a dumb question is that. You wanted to ask "how autistic are you" but you thought you sound more witty if you just hinted at autism instead of spelling it out. You're too special to call me an autist. But the end result is not more witty, it's the same dumb "lol u aspie" worded differently.

How homo are you?

>Did you guys sort of just install and play around?

Pretty much. Had linux on dualboot for the longest time, but when I forced myself to use only linux I started to get the hang of it. Remember to not be a tryhard. Install an Ubuntu based distro and get the hang of it. I would recommend xubuntu.

nice FUD there faggot

>this newfag
Lurk moar

I felt like this is the underlying set of steps, you always gravitate back to what you're comfortable with because every OS can (given enough effort) achieve roughly the same thing. It seems to me like the people who lean towards GNU/Linux just have the time and have the knowledge to utilise the benefits it brings, and want to break out of the botnet

It's just a quicker way of saying the various things you said when you sperged out, without all the sperg: see see again

I've installed xubuntu on dualboot before and it was pretty nice but I never forced myself to boot into it and eventually just never used it and got rid of it. I think I needed to know a bit more about ricing so I could play around with it and make it '''my own'''

I installed a variant of Arch on my main PC and basically used only that for a year, from ricing to programming to XFCE to Awesome. Was neat. I'm back on Win7 and 10 now but I kinda miss those days were my terminal was sexy and my text editor well integrated

When windows 7 came, I hated it and I just installed ubuntu alongside it. Loved it. You can install linux right next to your windows install (always backup)

When I say a variant of Arch, I mean I tried both Manjaro (shit) and Antergos (good, just an installer that gets you a usable desktop). I ended up going back to Windows because unsolvable bugs were poising my linux experience. Stuff like the wifi wouldn't work unless the computer was put to sleep at least once before

It's called media consumption. It's not a technical or difficult word, it's basic english that even foreigners know.

It's childish to not use the term consumption when it's fitting. Even kindergarden children know that word and uses it properly, are you slow in the head?

>I ended up going back to Windows because unsolvable bugs were poising my linux experience.

That is the whole point of Arch....

>Stuff like the wifi wouldn't work unless the computer was put to sleep at least once before

This is exactly why people install arch so that they can get some exotic errors and weird problems that is hard to google.

Arch is a technical support simulator. If you wanted Wifi to work then why didn't you install a real production ready distro like Ubuntu or whatever else.

I think I tried a variant of ubuntu too and had the same problem. Can't remember but I agree on the "arch is a tech support simulator", nice way to put it

>Computers are becoming less and less interesting to me and I think it's because of a lack of /installing gentoo/ in my life. Will this be the begin of a new found love of computing, possibly learning a programming language and actually enjoying myself, or will I just find out it's a different way to do the same boring thing and switch back/never come back?

Well, there's a way to reword this question:

"Is switching over to Linux and tinkering a worthy hobby that will teach me something and make me a better person? Or is it just a worthless timesink for neckbeards who fancy themselves grey hats because they type into terminals instead of clicking icons to achieve the exact same thing?"

Well, the answer is obvious. If you want to dive into computers and learn how they work pick up a book and get into it. Changing your OS won't really teach you anything about what goes on under the hood. You can rice your fucking Linux and turn your machine into a /battlestation/-ready weeb box, but it will teach you nothing. You'll learn a few terminal commands - pretending that means anything is like turning an imaginary wheel and yelling "brrrm brrm" while your dad drives.

Linux in and of itself means fucking nothing. You want to learn a programming language, that's fucking cool, go for it. You don't need Linux for that though. If and when you need to switch, it will be an obvious choice. As it stands, it's like you feel pressured to switch because you think it means something, like a child putting on a fake moustache will make it an adult. Not how it works.

You're still trying hard instead of just saying "shut the fuck up aspie". The other dude even went out there and googled for this fucking gif. Jesus christ, how disgustingly tryhard.

>Did you guys sort of just install and play around?
yes, I went directly to the software center, blew my mind the amount of good software there and went on a frenzy to try them all
>Did you/do you have any programming experience?
no, I'm a nurse
>What are the good things you've discovered being a GNU/Linux baby or making the switch yourself?
"freedom" is not a meme, all the power to do whatever I want made me want to learn more, can't go back
>At the moment I just have a rMBP which I use for most of my simple shit, media consumption and all that. And whenever I want to play a game (which seems to be less and less these days) I just go onto my piece of shit Windows desktop and hope it runs okay on my GTX 650.
the native linux games run with less resources than their windows counterpart
>Computers are becoming less and less interesting to me and I think it's because of a lack of /installing gentoo/ in my life. Will this be the begin of a new found love of computing, possibly learning a programming language and actually enjoying myself, or will I just find out it's a different way to do the same boring thing and switch back/never come back?
depends on your needs, if you want to use a couple of programs and have no curiosity it will be comfy but and you'll never "distro hop", but if you are curious and/or want to rice your computer is going to be the beginning to the community, the real community not just Sup Forums
>thoughts? help?
go watch videos on youtube about any particular subject you are interested like installing or dualbooting, try first distros like lubuntu or xubuntu which are the easiest for newbies, and try distros on virtualbox, but I don't advice you install gentoo or arch as they are for intermediate to advanced users

It's an incredibly rigid way of speaking. You can say "enjoying media" instead of "media consumption". It makes you sound less like you have a cock in your mouth.

What if you are not enjoying it? You are still consuming it... Saying "enjoying media" introduces a lot of bias into the speech. It seems like a lot of effort just to sound dumber.

Sometimes you have to make the effort not to sound like a homo. Unless of course, you're looking for a mate.

You don't need to know about ricing at all. Personally I don't rice at. You only need goals what you want to achieve. For example recently I wanted a way to route sound from a media player to discord so I can play memes for my friends. Start with simple day to day things you would do like jus installing steam and playing games. Then do it with wine so you can run windows stuff.

The point of saying 'consuming' instead of 'enjoying' is because watching anime and playing video games all day is for faggots. Everyone here knows that, so when you admit to it you're supposed to acknowledge you're a faggot so you don't get told to fuck off to Sup Forums. I'm sorry you're too autistic to understand social cues.

Just dive in. You can still play 1.6. It's great.

"enjoying media" does not even mean the same thing as "media consumption".

It's like saying "I did stuff" when you mean "I voted today". You might sound dumb, which is kind of your point. But you sound dumb while being unclear.

Being on Sup Forums and pretending for a brief second that you're not a weeb gaymare degenerate is like walking into a gay club and claiming you got lost. Honestly, getting rammed up every orifice by a dozen cocks is less homo than trying to pass as a normal, functioning adult on Sup Forums.

In fact, you've accidentally made a good point. "media" should filter to "moeshit" and "consumption" should filter to "masturbation".

See, I'm not the most efficient with the terminal yet and I don't really use a text editor too often because I don't really know how to program so I feel all those niceties might be wasted on me
Dualbooting is fine but I never get interested enough to actively want to boot into my GNU/Linux over primary OS. I think it's because I've only really tried *buntu distros and they are all sort of semi Windows clones and quite plain; they sort of miss the whole do whatever you want and fuck it up at your own risk philosophy
Was going to try Manjaro but I have consistently been hearing it's shit, guess Antergos or pure Arch are what I'm going to tackle next then.
Fair point. I guess I just want to do it because it'll give me something new to do and I might learn something but like you said books seem like the way to go if I actually want to learn what goes on under the good. Got a list of some good reads you could send my way?
>the native linux games run with less resources than their windows counterpart
I've heard about this, might be able to milk some life out of the ageing rig
>try first distros like lubuntu or xubuntu which are the easiest for newbies, and try distros on virtualbox, but I don't advice you install gentoo or arch as they are for intermediate to advanced users
I've tried a couple of the *buntu flavours and they are pretty good but I really feel like if I want to begin to get curious, rice and actually figure out how it all works I out to go with Arch or something similar. More problems but I guess that's one of the best ways of learning anyway
Not going to lie though, ricing is sort of one of my goals. Making your whole experience tailored to exactly how you use a computer is appealing to me so I might just focus on that and see where it takes me. On an unrelated note, how's the Linux support for Discord, do they have a native version?
>tfw you think it's a screenshot of cs 1.6

>See, I'm not the most efficient with the terminal yet and I don't really use a text editor too often because I don't really know how to program so I feel all those niceties might be wasted on me
You'll learn how to use the terminal, as opposite of what most people say you're gonna need it and you'll realise its faster than most file explorers out there. About programming, you have tons of ways to get into it on linux, from scripting to configs (like lua files) etc

>Dualbooting is fine but I never get interested enough to actively want to boot into my GNU/Linux over primary OS.

Yeah, when I started dual booting I assumed that I would use windows a lot still, but I ended up not touching windows for a year or so.

>I think it's because I've only really tried *buntu distros and they are all sort of semi Windows clones and quite plain; they sort of miss the whole do whatever you want and fuck it up at your own risk philosophy

You can do whatever in *buntu distros that you can in other distros. And Unity is not at all as unintuitive as Windows and functions completely different.

I know a lot of ricing is just editing config files so I'm bound to come across that at some point. What is scripting and lua files though, what's some cool/interesting shit you can do with them?
Yeah, I have a feeling it had more to do with me not really knowing how to utilise the system as opposed to it not providing the means to. Might give it a second try soon and see how it goes

With scripting you can automate stuff, like doing task1+task2+task3 etc. About Lua, lots of programs use it as a config system, like Awesome VM, where your config file is a big Lua file, and you can add your own code and other's too (like menu plugins)

What sort of things would be useful to automate with scripts? Lua does sound pretty good though, I'd assume that's how a lot of the fancy riced desktops are configured?

You can automate stuff like opening a youtube video in a desktop media player, I don't have any other example in mind but you can basically do anything
And most fancy riced desktops are using tiling VMs like Awesome and i3 so yes. Others like XFCE are harder to rice and use custom config files from what I remember (and/or GUIs)

i3 was the WM I was leaning towards so getting deep into the config file and making it mine could be good for learning

yep

if you want to try arch then get manjaro or antegros. But remeber that the arch community is the least helpful and most toxic community on the internet.

i3 is good, but make sure if you want space between the windows or not BEFORE installing it. There is a version with space and the default without space.

Just jump right in, the worst that can happen is that you learn something. It doesn't matter where you start or how.

I went through a crazy period (somewhen in the early 2000s) where I tried out just about every distro and window-manager under the sun, even freebsd, openbsd, solaris.

Eventually I've settled for linux, which is now my main OS, but I've had a lot of fun and learned a lot.

The elitist community does seem to be a bit of a hurdle but I should be able to manage. As for i3 you actually answered a question I've had, I thought i3-gaps was just an addon or something which added the gaps, not it's own thing. I saw a really nice desktop that was running i3-gaps but then had a custom bar, polybar I think it was. Would configuring something like that be hard, or is it hard to get rid of the default i3 bar?
Very true, the worst that can happen is a figure it's not for me and go back to being a winbaby; here's to hoping that doesn't happen though. Have you settled on any particular distro or are you still hopping from one to another?

>On an unrelated note, how's the Linux support for Discord, do they have a native version?
They have a canary version of it (as in alpha), and they said in their recent patchnotes that linux is near. I've been using the browser version and it fits my needs for the time being.

I second this.

BIG MILKY MOMMY

I was waiting for something like this

Been using the desktop version here, works great, haven't experienced any bugs.

So how do you go about installing a beta piece of software on Linux? I doubt it'd be part of the AUR right so you'd have to find the beta version and install it manually? I've heard about having to compile things, is this what that means?

same story, switched over to linux on my secondary laptop just to play around and over a few days I actually preferred it over my main computer. On windows getting rid of crap on task manager or disabling services on startup was standard procedure, also watching out for bullshit on installers for any program. On linux there's just no bloat, I'm running exactly what I want at all times.

Someone has put it in the AUR, which is the one I have installed. If someone hadn't put it in the AUR, installation would be pretty easy, you could just go through the usual "./configure && make && make install"

About 2 years ago I went from full normie to full blown autist. Best decision of my life.

1. Deleted all social media
2. Deleting social media made me more social and I got a gf who I will probably marry
3. Deleted windows and stopped playing games
4. Installed Mint
5. Move to Arch after a year
6. Moved to Fedora after a year
7. Started homelabbing
8. Got job in healthcare IT
9. Now studying for RHCSA + RHCE

Life is just better if you make the switch.

>As for i3 you actually answered a question I've had, I thought i3-gaps was just an addon or something which added the gaps, not it's own thing.

That is what I thought as well... Only figured that out after having riced it for a week so I never bothered with i3-gaps.

>I saw a really nice desktop that was running i3-gaps but then had a custom bar, polybar I think it was. Would configuring something like that be hard, or is it hard to get rid of the default i3 bar?

I don't know how hard it is, but you can customize the default i3 bar quite a lot. You can pretty much do whatever you want. i3 feels very nice to use.

>I never get interested enough to actively want to boot into my GNU/Linux
Install KVM and run your windows inside linux

Even if you're not interested in gaps between your windows, use i3-gaps along with the compatible i3blocks version which lets you do some cool stuff with your i3bar.

I actually forgot about how much of a pain in the ass startup tasks are on Windows and how there's always something going on in the background that if you try turn off it'll fuck your system; that in itself is a good reason to move
Ahhhh, I'll need to start writing down all the common shell commands at some point; have a good reference to go back to. The AUR seems to have everything from what I've heard though
I've always wanted to delete all my social media but I have a few Facebook Messenger group chats which is the main way I communicate with my mates. I haven't updated my profile picture in 3 years and haven't uploaded a photo to Instagram in like nearly 2 years. It all seems really retarded, how did you end up being more social? Did you just start going to bars and shit instead of scrolling through your fb feed? I feel like bars/clubs are the irl version of social media though. Also, what's RHCSA + RHCE?
Yeah, i3 really appeals to me just because once you customise all the keybinds and spend some time configuring it, you'll be 10x more efficient with almost everything you do.
KVM is a virtual machine I'm guessing? Don't you run into problems when you try virtualise shit, maybe that's just video drivers or some shit?
i3blocks is just what they call the different sections of the bar right, or am I completely wrong?

Yah I just went out instead of meming all day. Of course I mean 24/7 now because I don't go out much anymore.

RHCSA is Red Hat Certified Linux Administrator and RHCE is Red Hat Certified Engineer.

Both very respectable certifications in the Linux world. I'm also about to graduate with a degree in information systems which I would highly recommend.

>install mint because my professor is a linux enthusiast and gears his class towards linux users
>the terminal is kind of nice to have, but it mostly comes in handy for testing the shitty programs i make for class
>other than that its been nothing but annoying bugs that take way more effort and googling to fix than they should
>computer came with an alternate graphics card, but i can't even enable it because it makes my laptop hot enough to fry an egg
>beyond that computer still runs a bit hot and the battery life is even worse, after a lot of googling the only solution anyone had to offer was "just underclock your CPU"
>aretheseniggasforreal.rtf
>attempted to rice my desktop a bit, slightly proud of it, but at the end of the day ive only just polished a turd

my advice to you OP--
stick with what youre comfortable with. dont buy into the botnet meme.
programming can be a lot of fun, you might like it.
if computers are less interesting lately, pursue whatever it is that has replaced computers. or more likely youre just bored. either way find a new hobby, whether that involve a pc or not.

>KVM is a virtual machine I'm guessing? Don't you run into problems when you try virtualise shit, maybe that's just video drivers or some shit?

It's not just a virtual machine, it's a virtual machine on steroids: you can even do PCI passthrough! The only problem is video performance, which is subpar, even worse if you use the windows partition for vidya. If you have a second gpu and a second screen, GPU Passthrough can fix that, and you can run your vidya with only a 5% performance drop

You seem to have made a mistake at step 4. You actually switch to Mac OS because it combines UNIX and great commercial professional software.

When I upgraded to Linux, it was from XP. I did it because my computer just couldn't handle it anymore. It used more RAM than it had installed just by booting up, and closing/opening new windows or browser tabs would cause it to swap to disk for a solid 15+ seconds before becoming responsive again, sometimes more depending on what I was opening/closing. I installed CrunchBang and suddenly my computer was usable again. Tabs and windows opened instantly, I could even have more than one program going at a time. Instead of the sound of HDD reads and writes being constant as long as the machine was turned on, they only ever were heard when I was actively doing something that explicitly accessed it. I was able to breathe another few more years of life into my old eMachine before buying a new PC, and unlike the previous few years the last few was actually usable.

good memes
Upvoted friend!

>upvote
Disgusting.

I did a semester of Computer Science at University and decided it wasn't for me. Lecturer was a total cunt, everyone in the workshops were complete autists, and I just wasn't enjoying myself. Ended up dropping the CS based units but absolutely excelled in the Math/Statistics units. So after having this semester off I got accepted into a Data Science course starting next year which is like baby-tier CS mixed with pretty decent levels of Math/Stats so I think it suits my strengths well. What exactly did you do when you went out? I feel like besides getting drunk there's really not that much to do in my area
I'm definietly bored, I'm in my 5th month I think of not studying and barely getting one shift a week from my shitty casual job. But as mentioned above I'm going back to Uni and a lot of the Data Science work is done through Linux based systems so I think it would be a good investment of my time. Also, when you say don't buy into the botnet meme, do you just mean don't become a paranoid tinfoily?
If you wanted to use KDE for vidya and you only had one GPU could you reboot your Linux system, make sure it's using the integrated GFX and then that leaves the GPU free to run vidya within the virtual instance of Windows; or is it not that simple? Either way, like I said before I can always just have a seperate drive/partition with a barely used Windows install if I switch completely
Bringing life back into old systems seems to be one of Linux's huge strong points. The question is, are you still running a Linux distro on your new PC or have you stuck to your guns?

The AUR is pretty easy, just clone it and do "makepkg -csi"

i3blocks is a program that can be used to rice out your i3bar.

If your computer can output from both integrated and the external video card then yes, you can.

Want a "just werks" distro to replace windows? Go for any *buntu.
Want to rice? Just go for Devuan/Debian netinstall.
Want to learn the guts of GNU/Linux? Install Gentoo.
Want to learn programming? Use a window manager that can be scripted or dwelve the 200 lines of source code from dwm for C programming.

Also if you want to learn programming grab one of the many open source projects and tinker with them, compile them in the terminal and learn to bug fix.

>redpill
lol i love the matrix too XD

fuck off you tool, do whatever you fucking want dont come here for people to tell you what to do just to fucking fit in

fucking retard

rude

When I first got the PC? I bought and installed Windows 10 on it. That was a mistake and a waste of money. Despite being a product I spent over a hundred dollars on, it still shows me ads by default. That right there is absolutely disgusting. Then the whole forced update thing was incredibly irritating. It always picked the times I went for a 15 minute break before starting an update, of course without bothering to check if I had unsaved documents or any other jobs running. Windows 10 is completely unsuitable for anyone who needs to get work done. And recently I've had to use it again for Photoshop and it threw an absolute fit after not being used for months. It dragged in every update for the past few months including the anniversary update which is pure concentrated autism. One of those updates somewhere along the long also killed W10. When it went to restart after one of its batches of updates it rebooted into that boot repair menu. I tried every option on it before eventually my only option left was to factory reset, forcing me to re-download illustrator and photoshop over my 1MBps connection. And then after that's all sorted out I find out about this active hours crap. You only get a contiguous block of 12 hours to do any important work. If anything spills outside of those hours there's no guarantee it'll make it through intact. No idea how something like that could make it into an actual release.

Anyway, after dealing with that and a bunch of driver difficulties, I decided to go back to home sweet home Linux. Linux is more than enough for me as far as gaymen as well. I really only own one game that doesn't support it through some means. With more games than the XB1 and PS4 combined I'm not too concerned about its library size.

> all operating systems are essentially the same
> go back to windows
What is superior memory management and choice of disk FS?

> arch is a tech support simulator
This

I've been running arch for about 6 years straight. It started out fun fixing all the bugs and getting it to run perfectly but now it's just boring because I never get errors anymore

I miss those nights where I wouldn't go to bed unless I could get it to boot properly

youtube.com/watch?v=Bo1Tf7StpZM

>ywn breed Christina Hendricks

FUCKING THING SUCKS

>tfw you'll never motorboat those

Why even live?

That comes later. I have been doing this for about 18 years and I'm not quite there yet.

I CAME TO POST THIS FASDASDASDASD

>It's called media consumption.
Not him but, desu it's a bullshit phrase foisted upon us by television presenters. Nobody explains their weekend by saying "well i just lounged around the house and consumed some media"
or
>what do you do in your spare time on the computer?
"well i consume media"
etc. It's dumb, it's fake, it's forced. Don't do it.

I installed linux a few times in the past but I was a bit of a retard at the time and couldn't get anything to work right. Didn't have any programming experience then so that may have contributed. But a couple months ago I installed mint on another hdd and set it as the default boot option, motivated primarily by the shit with windows 10 and realising that win7 would only be supported for a little while longer, plus I'd switched off all automatic updates because forced upgrade; that shit ain't safe.

Honestly I've booted into windows like twice since and don't feel a particular need to return or try other distros. As I said I tried some other distros in the past and mint feels pretty sweet to me. It's similar enough to ubuntu that software is easy to find and install but without being part of the botnet that is ubuntu, and all my hardware worked with drivers ootb.

>Nobody explains their weekend by saying "well i just lounged around the house and consumed some media"

Everyone who comes from a furnished home says that. Did you grow up among alcoholics and animals or something?

Fuck off you lying sack of dogshit.
It's one of: movies/tv/netflix/yt videos
never have i ever heard someone claim to have sat around and consume media.

>install ANY Linux distribution
>stop playing video games
>start researching security(net, os, physical,etc)
>learn about ctfs
>replace video games with ctfs
>get great job doing vulns/exploit research/development
>make mad cash in exploit development startup

All because you could give up games and switch to Linux.
Fuck all the windows babes saying all os's are the same.
On a consumer version of windows, set all traffic to a VPN/tor. Go ahead, Try. Windows will ignore it and send data without listening to your preference. Not that it would matter. They always send identifying information with it, so your computer is constantly compromised. Fuck windows.

you have autism, shut the fuck up and kill yourself faggot

>
>you have autism, shut the fuck up and kill yourself faggot

you sound a little thirsty bro