/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/05/subjective-vs-objective-debate.html
innerfidelity.com/content/how-do-you-evaluate-bass-measurements#E6DM3Ywp2WHdqecP.97
innerfidelity.com/content/how-do-you-evaluate-mid-range-measurements#4JP4f6dRkYIqf45K.97
innerfidelity.com/content/how-do-you-evaluate-treble-measurements#9hWYdhCXjcpMMVDb.97
innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed#FkR9570PSEW5MbSI.97
head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-598/reviews/12176
head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-598/reviews/10106
head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-598/reviews/9442
youtube.com/watch?v=wrXs66hWtUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=aeF1ZvA2IEQ
amazon.com/Panasonic-Headphones-RP-HTF600-S-Lightweight-Comfortable/dp/B004MMEI8W
camelcamelcamel.com/product/B004MMEI8W
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He-400i owner here.

i love headphones

What about creative aurvana live?

cheap

What are the best headphones in the world if money is no concern?

I have JVC ones. How are they?
What headphones are good for music producers?

sennheiser orpheus 2 i guess

I got the Sennheiser hd 201.
Did I do well?
Pic related.

If that's all you could afford.

>Hate on M50x

N-no, you!

So they're good headphones for that price.
Thanks.

People only like m50x's because a certain dope youtuber recommended them. In reality, m40x's (especially with hm5 pads) are leagues better.

I "downgraded" from HD598 to M40x to Creative Aurvana Live

Yet it seems that I upgraded.

By comparison the HD598 lacks too much bass and has too much high mids/lower treble which take the front seat so it sounds every unsatisfying for my ears.

m40x was an upgrade for me from the hd598 because bass is actually noticeable and less annoying upper mids/lower treble but the upper treble spike on m40x makes it piercing and forces you to keep the volume at a low not so enjoyable level.

CAL from the m40x has more bass over the mids (seems like the right amount for me) and more high mids/lower treble (which are a little recessed on m40x) and doesn't have the upper treble issues that make "Sss" sounds hurt like hell on the m40x.

The CAL compared to those two has a more "fuller" sound to my ears and so can get louder and be more satisfying without becoming painful which I think is what makes a good headphone. i don't hear any decrease in clarity - in fact, it seems to be the opposite.

not falling for the more expensive = better meme ever again

yes i know to look at graphs but when buying my first few pairs i didn't know what to expect - now i do.

Is the HD600 worth the extra over HD598? Especially considering I'd have to buy an amp as well.

Not much worthwhile discussion to be had on that.
"Sound quality" isn't much of a problem to start with.

>HE1
The earpads are decently spacious, but the headband extends far less than that of the HD600/650/800.
The box lid opening up manages to be more ostentatious in person.
I tend to dislike electrostatic headphones for being generally non-portable, but this manages to redefine inconvenience.

I don't like them. Decisively lacking bass. Isolation isn't high either. Might as well get a cheap Koss clip-on, KSC75.

>I'd have to buy an amp as well.
You don't know that. They are fine off of my laptop and phone.

Oh really? Because back before technigger when they were just the m50s they were Sup Forums's meme headphones of choice.

Why are 598cs on here anyway? Who the fuck buys the Cs?

i think your taste in music is the main problem here

>Creative

lol shill harder.

not an argument

if you dont have either, then yes, also you might not need the amp, my PC, laptop and even my portable player give me enough loudness, if you are deaf or want to be then get the amp. Also is better to go for an AMP/DAC combo

>the HD598 lacks too much bass and has too much high mids/lower treble
You should have bought HD595
Or Beats because you are a fucking nigger.

>HD595
I meant HD558
You being a nigger probably would just buy the Beats

it is though.

your choice of music has great impact on how your headphone is performing..

in my opinion, most sennheiser closed headphones are mostly suited for classical genres which don't need extra pronounciation to have a greater sense of dynamic.

when you hear a bass blaster like the CAL, everythin in your bass heavy music will have the same inarticulate/bloated sound response compared to the sennheiser for example.

which sounds satisfying at first, but will very soon sound just boring

seems like you only wanted a warm-dark signature in the first place, what music are you using them for?

>Shitheiser HotDiarrhea598
>Snoozeheiser HappyDreams598
>Staleheiser HardDough598
>Snapheiser HurtsDon'tIt598
>Shillheiser HeftyDollarbags598

>look guys i only do smart purchases which are justified by my hot opinions..

>"MOM WHERE IS MY UNDERWEAR"

>your choice of music has great impact on how your headphone is performing..

wrong. it has to do with how you perceive frequencies. i've gone back and forth through all genres switching between headphones so i know this pretty well.

how much do you get paid?

you either used shit genres and switched it with shit headphones back and forth too so you wouldn't say that there isn't a difference on how different headphoens, perform better with certain genres than others

Bought pic rel. Did I fuck up?

well not shit genres but maybe shit producers

it's chinese..

the headphone itself sounds reasonably priced.

expect the pleather earcups to bust in half a year. never put it near hotspots

Is that a new Takstar?

what music is good?
who are good producers?
what are good headphones?

Hi i want to buy a good bluetooth headset but not too expensive, any suggestion?

No, unless you consider Pro 80s new.

to be honest I bought mine when m50x just came out, m40x and m30x didn't exist back then iinm.

yup no mic. shoulda went hyper x cloud.

I want to buy myself some comfy, nice quality wireless headphones for Christmas. Just for general PC'ing. Could you help me out /hpg/?

Also, never owned wireless headphones, how are they?

Correction, most shops didn't carry m40x and m30x back then since it was newly released and was pushing the m50x for the go to headphones.

I have a pair of Sony MDR1As coming in the mail. What's a good amp to use with them?

Fuck mic. I'd rarely use it and I would be annoyed by some shit hanging near my mouth.

Are Bose QC35 as good as the hype or is it a meme?

the sound quality sucks

nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/05/subjective-vs-objective-debate.html

innerfidelity.com/content/how-do-you-evaluate-bass-measurements#E6DM3Ywp2WHdqecP.97
innerfidelity.com/content/how-do-you-evaluate-mid-range-measurements#4JP4f6dRkYIqf45K.97
innerfidelity.com/content/how-do-you-evaluate-treble-measurements#9hWYdhCXjcpMMVDb.97

innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed#FkR9570PSEW5MbSI.97

CAL! is on his wall of fame but no HD598 or M40x. Really makes you think...

>should have bought another boreheiser can

lol

>tfw used to wear my MDR-7506 out in public
>tfw now wear my DT-990 out in public
who wants to debate

head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-598/reviews/12176
>Too much seperation, distance, and empty areas. No "immersion".

head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-598/reviews/10106
> Makes your music sound dull and boring.

head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-598/reviews/9442
>Makes all my music sound like it's been recorded in the same venue, on the same day.
>Deep and full, politely sweet but never exciting

not him, but now a days everything is focused on bassy music with almost to none highs, hence everybody loves the m50x, you sound like a person who is either bass-deaf of have a over sensibility to mids and highs. I´m not trying to offend you and i´m happy to see you found your match. Maybe if you post some or your favorite tracks most around here would think they suck.

they dont need one

i mainly listen to EDM from specific artists.

Haywyre, Noisia, Jade Cicada, Ehiorobo, Gemini, Dooqu, Getter and the list continues.

they have very good knowledge about sound, as well as in the theories and care about perfection in their mastering so you can hear different aspects in their choice of sound in every beat.

any other than that, hardstyle for example is a very fun genre to listen to in terms of mastering and audio craftsmenship. with a trained ear you can hear very easily what kind of "level" the specific producers are able to produce.

how different sounds don't interfere with other without sounding flat, spaciousness of synths which don't sound they emit from out of your headphone

frontliner or the prophet play out of their league in my opinion.

another one i recently discovered is Dalora, a female hardstyle artist with pure knowhow
youtube.com/watch?v=wrXs66hWtUQ

you have balls, would you wear the k553pro in public too?

>noisia
>edm
you don't deserve to listen to noisia

but denying noisia would be like denying you

youtube.com/watch?v=aeF1ZvA2IEQ

based masochisticbro

Thanks

hey guys, im new to music hardware, but i wanted to try out wearing closed headphones on the go.
im thinking of buying the ATH-m40x together with the AGP Tek mp3-player.
i was wondering if its even worth it using expensive headphones on cheap mp3-players

the m40x isn't too demanding.

i'd advice going for HD 25-1 ii instead and using your smartphone.

smartphone dac's are as good as 95% mp3 players nowadays

thanks for the reply. the HD 25-1 is 50€ more expensive than the m40x in germany.
i used to use my smartphone for mp3s, but im interested in trying an external, slimmer device, for better menu and interface design, and a machine i can keep in my jacket in a designated breast pocket, with the cables inside, so i'd just have to put my jacket on, put the headphones on then connect the headpones to the cable in the breast pocket

No. The stock pads are 'eh', but otherwise its a very competent headphone. Quite similar to M40x.
Slap some HM5's on them and you've got some comfy ass shit.

what about bluetooth?
what's hindering you about bluetooth anyway? what could sound worser than an mp3 player which even fits your breastpocket while it must be supposed to be light as fuck

anyway.. look on kleinanzeigen for used ones, those things are super durable and feature many replaceable parts

>300 ohm headphones good without an amp
Interesting.

>impedance directly correlates with difficulty to drive
you're fucking retarded

there are 50 ohm headphones that are harder to push than 600 ohm headphones

Is the Sennheiser sound best for prog?

Choosing a headphone based on genre is a bad idea.
Not only that, but sennheiser hardly has a uniform signature.

No need to be rude. I dont know how that works, could you explain it to me?

nwavguy explains it
google his explanations

if you want to never upgrade again, get a hifiman electrostatic headphones, those produce the crispiest basslines

How is it a bad idea when the main difference between several headphones is more of a matter of taste? Different headphones for different genres seems ideal.

Yeah, they are indeed 'eh'. I've also got some velour pads with the headphones, way comfier but they sound gutless.
I was actually planning to get some new pads. Thanks for recommending HM5s, user.

The headphones sound incredibly muffled, no crispness, no bass just really shit sound. I can't even mix with them cause I end up adding way too much treble and bass to my music.

Go with HM5 pleather. Keeps the low end response for the most part and adds soundstage. I had Cloud Cores, so the stock pads were a bit better, but even still they weren't fantastic.

Try EQing them if you want a bit more umpf on velour though.

Got a pair of these with my phone. Any one know if they're any good?

hd600 OR x2, not beyercucks

wtf I hate amps now

Saves me a hundred bucks

Panasonic RP-HTF600s also belong on ultra poorfag tier.

amazon.com/Panasonic-Headphones-RP-HTF600-S-Lightweight-Comfortable/dp/B004MMEI8W

>I can't even mix

stoooop right there. who told you they were ideal for analytical work?

What "Sennheiser sound"? The company makes headphones of all kinds. Some lineups are somewhat consistent with their response, some are not.

Headphones are voltage driven devices. You need to know the voltage sensitivity of them and the voltage output of your amplifier to calculate how loud you can drive them. Impedance is irrelevant.

Still dont understand how beyershitdynamics is still in business when they only make awful headphones.

>$35
I really want them. I'm still waiting for the price to go cheaper camelcamelcamel.com/product/B004MMEI8W

>B&O
Hahahahahaha

its best for boring music so yeah

Just sayin, it's not actually a flat sound. It's just shit.

Make it flat with EQ.

laughing at the brand name or the brand itself is doodoo? I've never heard of them but they retail for ~$200

Has the m50 circlejerk even reached here?

You I could sell one of my personal Turds (TM) and tell the Its The Shit! and that it Sounds Amazing Next Level and I could charge 200$ for it?

How to fix the HD 598 response in two simple steps!

>Step 1.
Install a parametric equalizer.

>Step 2.
Use this config:

# muh flat hd 598
Preamp: -6 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 6 dB Q 0.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 180 Hz Gain -3 dB Q 0.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 1900 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1.5

Adjust the second filter if you have a high Zout amplifier by further decreasing the magnitude and shifting the center frequency lower. Resonance frequency of the driver is 90 Hz so that's what high Zout is going to amplify.

>no bass
Stop memeing

Is the Hyperx Cloud still a good buy for its price? I know it's just a redesign of some not bad headphones that I forgot their name but is there something better for the money?

It's good.

>Hyperx Cloud
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Step 3.
Realize your specific pair have a varying frequency response
>Step 4.
Realize you have a different HRTF

>get graphic EQ for f2k it's free too you cheap fuck
>increase bass a smidgen
I'm listening to Electric Wizard right now and it's fine.

What's so funny?

>What's so funny?
Hyperx Cloud

Takstar 2050

ok

>No "immersion"
Am I on Sup Forums?

Probably a bit late but the mic can be unpluged from the clouds.
I own a pair and they are very good headphones for the price although in my opinion the dt990 250ohm sound considerably better.
HyperX/Kingston made a great move by using a good budget headphone to build their headset line on.
I think going with something like the Samson Go Mic (has a DAC thats way better than my on board) and a pair of headphones that has the sound signature you want is the way to go though.