Monitor Panels

IPS: good for work

TN: good for gaming

VN: good for movies

why isn't there a monitor panel which can do it all, in the year of 2016? disgusting black levels& glow, shit viewing angles, laggy response times...

we didn't have this problem with CRTs back in the days

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00ZOO348C/
auo.com/?sn=1282&lang=en-US
acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-models/monitors
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

TN is good for literally nothing now that we have 144Hz 1440p IPS panels.

>VN: good for movies
and reading.

Link?

OLED.

*VA

oled isnt a panel

IPS is good for everything. You don't need 1ms response time for your fucking monitor. 5 is good enough.

IPS isn't that good with blacks

IPS is best for everything, faggot.

DAS RAYCIS

amazon.com/dp/B00ZOO348C/

There are several others.

PLS > IPS, especially with blacks.

>VN

lol stop watching movies on a monitor pleb.

Black as in the color. If I was referring to the people with high concentration of melanin in their skins I would have used the word nigger

all i want is 1080p 144Hz gsync / freesync IPS, i'm not even asking for 16:10, why won't anyone answer to my prayers ;_; It's enough 1440p displays with similar features are expensive as fuck, you also need at lest 6600K /1070 GTX.

>niggers
>people

True. Are there any usable OLED monitors out there now?

Just use a fucking CRT.

You forgot about the 1.44ms response time.

IPS is good enough for gaymen, you don't need half a nanosecond of response time unless you have autism

>on Sup Forums
>doesn't have autism
Pick one.

>guys, I can totally see the difference between 0.00400 and 0.00144 seconds lol!

This is why it's so easy to sell overpriced outdated techonology to GAMURS.

This one's TN right?

I can't afford to spend $400 on a monitor (nor GPU since all I have is a 1060 6GB right now)
but I plan to upgrade my GPU in a year or to and don't want to have to do my monitor too.

I'm playing on a 32 inch TV right now.
Is this shit okay?

Is the Dell U2515H a good buy? Or can anyone suggest a comparable 2560x1440 IPS panel?

1080p 144hz is pretty great on my 1060 6gb because the games that I can't run at 144hz need insane hardware for it but the ones that I can play like overwatch wow cs:go etc don't need anything better.

Pretty much only Sony's professional monitors, which cost absurd amounts of money.
Dell was supposed to release one earlier this year but it has since been delayed indefinitely (and it's still expected to cost several thousand dollars anyway).

>why isn't there a monitor panel which can do it all, in the year of 2016? disgusting black levels& glow, shit viewing angles, laggy response times...
who wants a monitor to play games or watch movies on?
buy a plasma t.v and enjoy the best display tech ever produced, without the bullshit like shit viewing angles, shit response times, and shit colour reproduction

tfw no 120hz ULMB 24" @ 4K

Well, I found my almost perfect monifu the other day, I might get it. It it the Crossover 27 fast, a 1440p IPS/LPS (forgot wich one, I think they get LPS) and 144hz. You can also get the 60hz ( can oceclock up to 100hz~). Both have FreeSynch. 60hz is like 300€, 144hz is like 420€. I'm still deciding which one do I get because I do have an i5 4460 and 1060 6gb.

Read the first review it's shit

I have the Crossover 27QDOG, cost £300 and is glorious. I run it at 75hz, I've put it up to 90 but then I start noticing little bits of artefacting.

1440p best screen resolution for the next 4 years.

OK, trips decided. I'll buy it from eBay (from dreams_seller I think). It is called [Perfect] Crossover 1440p 144hz. An email from him said that it could have from 0 to 3 dead pixels. Hope I don't get chinked.

Redpill me on VN

anyone ever buy a refurb/open box BenQ monitor?

how's the quality control

Part of the craze back then about the cheap 1440p displays was that they were very overclockable.
Mine (Qnix PLS) works up fine to around 110 Hz, but I leave it at 96 Hz.

Best contrast of all LCD types. 4000:1 static, or even 5000:1.
The best IPS contrast I can recall does has 1800:1 ratio, which is very high for IPS type displays.

Viewing angle is better than TN, closer to IPS. Has a bit of a problem with off-center gamma.
LCDs transition speed will depend on the state of the particular crystal alignment that corresponds to a brightness level. VA can compete with TN at its best, but it has some awful lag when it comes to grayscale transition.

I know for a fact that AUO has 3000:1 1440p panels available in BenQ monitors

Those are VA, aren't they?

Not that guy but I really prefer the viewing angle characteristics of my IPS panel over the VA panels I've seen. That said, I may have just never seen a really good VA panel.

I'd really enjoy a 3000:1 contrast ratio over my IPS display's ~700:1 though.

They're AHVA, which improved the viewing angles of VA

auo.com/?sn=1282&lang=en-US

Hm, that sounds fantastic if true.

>AHVA (Advanced Hyper Viewing Angle)
They picked a rather confusing name for this: it's not vertical alignment. AHVA is more like a variation of IPS.
Even worse, they still make AMVA (Advanced Multidomain Vertical Alignment) panels, the 32" 1440p panels for instance.

Right, I just saw VA and posted the AHVA link haha. You're right about it being an IPS variation. Still, it kicks the shit out of IPS for static contrast ratios

Oh I didn't realize it was an IPS variation.

It's amazing that they managed to basically double the contrast ratio. I wonder if there are any drawbacks compared to LG IPS and Samsung PLS.

Anyone have any experience with the PG278Q?

Thinking of getting it, will be my first TN but apparently the colours are really good for it.

What they don't tell you is that IPS has terrible glow and hot spots.

I have one (AG271QG). The amount of BLB in the corners is frankly pretty bad, and there are lots of people who have complained about this, considering the premium price.
On the other hand, it doesn't really matter unless you look at very dark things with zero ambient light and is easily offset by the fact it's a goddamn gorgeous 165hz 1440p IPS type panel, but if you have crippling autism like pretty much everyone around here, I imagine it would be a deal breaker.

Had a choice of a TN panel with 1ms response time vs a IPS panel with 5ms and I went with the latter

FeelsGoodMan

Enjoy your bleed and glow issues. Hopefully it's noticeable.

I don't have experience with BenQ monitors in particular, but with products with practical quality variation even between 100% working samples, I'd generally avoid open box versions. Open box could very well mean somebody had a look at it, didn't like it and sent it back. For a monitor this could mean it had some very bad image flaw, for a CPU it could mean it was utter shit at OC, a graphics card could have coil whine or be utter shit at OC, etc. You're playing the lottery anyway but with open box shit you may very well be increasing your chances of getting a dud.

IPS is so fucking overrated. For that small amount of better color reproduction and better viewing angle from extreme sides, you lose so damn much in terms of speed a and the cost increase is also substantial.

And who the fuck even cares about viewing angles?????? I don't have 10 people crammed around me looking at my screen. I don't view my screen from one side. Obsession with viewing angles is retarded. Unless your screen is at a fucking dentist's office displaying some ads or in some other public space, IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER!

TN all the way! 144Hz TN is GOAT.

>less than 0.003s difference
>you lose so damn much in terms of speed
>better colors, contrast and viewing angles
>so fucking overrated
>IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER!

The irony is real.

>And who the fuck even cares about viewing angles??????
People with monitors larger than 13" since TN is so shit that you can notice color shifting on the edges even when looking at the screen dead on.

This. I deluded myself into believing my tn "isnt that bad" because, duh i bought it, but having it right next to my new 55" ips tv makes my want to puke. Even so much as shifting my position in my chair makes the colors all fucked up.
To its credit, its a lost less noticeable in games with a lot of different colors splashed all over the screen, but using it for general web browsing is nauseating.

That's disappointing.

My IPS panel has a rated contrast ratio of 700:1, so the overall black level is terrible, but it has an ATW polarizer and no bleed whatsoever that I can see, which really helps to make up for the overall black level.

TN panels have such poor vertical viewing angle characteristics that even if you are viewing it from an ideal position you can see variation from top to bottom due to the viewing angle.

That said, I've also seen plenty of complaints about gamma shift between the center and sides on VA panels, and glow issues on the sides/corners with non-ATW IPS panels, so there are potential issues even with non-TN panels.

response time refers to PIXEL response time, which results in a ghosting/streaming/streaking effect

don't you people know anything?

IPS glow at least is only noticeable with black or very dark images in the corners, it doesn't exist otherwise. TN viewing angles are shit at all times, not to mention the bad colors and potentially bad contrast.

Well, I don't notice the black level of my current 700:1 IPS display unless I'm viewing dark content in a dark room, but sometimes I wish I could play a dark game or watch dark media in a dark room without glow, and I don't think any modern IPS display would be any better than what I have now.

what is the response time for 2233rz?

i want to change it since the color is shit specially black (dark games suck) but i still play quake so im a nerd for low lag

>144Hz 1440p IPS panels

Those are fucking expensive as shit

Yeah, it's very obvious that IPS is far from perfect, we still need something much better, I don't think a lot of people would deny that, but they're kind of the best we got that's still in production, readily available and not priced completely ridiculously. I would kill for a 4K display, real blacks, 120Hz+, HDR and

Kind of new to "good monitors" I got this last black friday for really cheap (~140) is this good? Also what is it ips, tn, vn I don't understand.

shit meant to link asus VX248H

Is 144hz a meme or not?

Friend just bought two acer 144hz, 1ms, monitors. One for him, one for his girl.

Fuck no, I remember the first time I saw my friend playing on his vg248qe when I went to visit him. I knew right then that I wanted a high refresh rate monitor.

Just got a 27" 4K IPS LG27UD68 right this moment, it is the cheapest 4K IPS panel I could find.

Coming from 1080 TN panel it is quite a step up. Holy shit the text looks so sharp despite being smaller, far more stuff can be crammed onto the screen. Starting to notice the blur on my 1080 displays despite the text being larger.

Color looks a lot better and viewing angles are miles better from my previous monitors. Still use my old monitors in portrait mode.

>And who the fuck even cares about viewing angles

I do, when I want to kick back and rest my feet up on the other table I have nearby I would be sitting facing the screen at an angle, I don't want to constantly adjust the monitor when I switch my seating position.

I don't think so. It tends to have a contrast level closer to that of a usual IPS panel, around 1000:1 or so.

>4K display, 120Hz+, HDR
Signaling is a bit of an underappreciated issue. With DP 1.3 (DP 1.4 doesn't change that), you would have to run it in MST and deal with that batch of issues.
OLED is closest to making that realizable, with things like ILEDs and blue phase LCDs being the stuff that isn't happening yet.

ULMB, other strobing and black frame insertion techniques makes a bigger difference. The bad news is that it affects max brightness, shifts color, and can flicker, the same as CRTs. Still more crisp with static images and with less geometric distortion.

I've been gaymen for 15 years on 60Hz monitors.
Bought a 144Hz gsync one last month and I don't think I'm ever going back.

>ips: good for everything
>tn: BUT MUH RESPONSE TEYMZ

let me know when they make 144hz 1080p ips panels

>IPS is so fucking overrated.
why do people choose to be delusional instead of accept the truth?

>Q4 2016
>1080p

1440p is best on a 27" monitor and I prefer smaller ones, so I stick with 1080p

LCD cells all leak light in inconvenient directions in one way or another that impacts color shifting, black levels, etc., and it's not really a tractable issue.

Pray that QDLEDs pan out, since OLED never lived up to its promises.

Sitting at a 45 degree angle from the front of my desk is always my preferred method of gaming.

what a bullshit fucking image... it's clearly rigged by IPS monitor merchants.

I have an IPS screen and a TN screen (dual monitor setup) and after you adjust the TN panel saturation and other settings, the amount of color differences between the two are minimal.

IPS is better but not much better. Personally, I wouldn't buy an IPS panel again. Not worth the extra cost and increased lag.

>tfw 16'' 1280x1024 eMachines CRT from 2005
>still works fine

Someday I'll upgrade. When it finally breaks down.

If you're unemployed maybe.

>55" ips tv
>Not VA or OLED

you dun goofed son.

>tfw no 1600p gayman monitors

Why do normies even like 16:9 so much?

Yeah but using AHVA makes it easier to achieve close to 3000:1

Unfortunately it was the only ips in the line up (vizio p series) and the only one i could really afford bigger than the 50". I still really enjoy it though. I keep it in a completely dark room with black out curtains and tinfoil in the window because i cook meth and am scared of the government reading my brainwaves anyway so its fine.
The input lag is pretty bad though. I used to think it was just a dumb meme but even compared to my older lg with a va panel its pretty bad.
Still amazing for movies.

Except the fact that CRT fucking murdered your eyes.

One review means it's true

this.

because it can happen with literally any monitor. i have a monitor with an e-ips panel and one with an AHVA panel, neither of them have any backlight bleed or ips glow. sometimes you have to play the panel lottery but most of the time people get working products without defects.

>ips
Jack of all trades, bad at everything

>tn
High refresh rates

>va
God tier everything except for response times

Before somebody responds to this with "muh ips color quality". Color quality has nothing to do with which LCD technology used, the color filters themselves determine color quality, that's why there's the ThinkPad T520 and Sony Vaio Z with TN 1080p displays that can still display 98% NTSC color space with under 2.7dA which is more accurate than most displays out right now.

IPS is good for everything

Anything else has shit colors

Thanks for clearing that up

Is the difference between 6 bit +FRC and 8 bit really noticeable?

I'm using a Dell S2440L right now, it's a VA true 8 bit monitor, and I've gotta say, I really don't see the appeal of IPS. This thing looks fucking surreal when properly calibrated. The black levels are simply outstanding. It helps that it's a glossy pannel as well so colors really pop out.

In some games I can notice ghosting but I couldn't care less when I'm delighting myself with those beautiful colors and blacks.

are the 4k ips monitors any good for gaming yet?

4k is a meme. Get a 1440p ultrawide. They are simply outstanding for gaming and movies and they are quite a bit easier on the GPU.

As for gaming, there's that faggot with the meme station with a bunch of 2deep4u movie posters on the wall in the bst threads with a 40" 4k monitor. Can't remember the exact model though but it's supposedly good.

>4k is a meme
>getting another meme with the ultrawide

>Get TN
>Monitor is literally only good for gaming which is highly unlikely the only thing you'll do on it
>Even for gaming questionable since you won't always be looking at the monitor dead on

acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-models/monitors

Mostly TN

I can get 144 1080p or 75 1440p with
image shown

I use a 1070 strix and 6700k. What should I go for? I play all sorts of games, rarely the really fast cs go type though more than 60hz should be available for many of my games.

what are good budget monitors for 1080p gaming

You are forgetting about the mighty CRT. It can do all of these things and more if we had not betrayed it.

It was a dead end technology. Meanwhile, even if LCD had to start lower than the current level of CRTs at the time, it can go much higher.

>Cancer Ray Tube
No.