Building a workstation primarily for video editing

Got someone to help me put it together. Planning to run a Windows + Mac dual boot on it because it's depressing to have only a Windows 10 to work with and everything else is autism-tier.

How do these specs look?

Intel Core i7 6700
Gigabyte H170M-D3H
Crucial 8GB x 4
XFX RX470 4GB
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB x2
Sandisk SSB Plus 120GB (Scratch)
Toshiba 1TB
FSP Hydro 500W
Tecware F3
IDcooling Frostflow 120
Ball bearing fans (PWN) x 4
PWN Splitters
Fan filters x 3
Dell S2216H 21.5"

Other urls found in this thread:

pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sauce on the boner condoner

I'll never find out her name but here's my other pic of her.

Get Samsung ssds. They're faster and generally considered the best in the market. Also, drop the scratch disk (just use a scratch partition), fan filters (just vacuum your machine somewhat regularly), and one 8GB stick of ram, and invest in at least a 24" and preferably a 1440p display. Your eyes and workflow will thank you.

don't go with mac.

the adobe runs better on os x meme is history.

Adobe is a meme, you mean.

adobe wants all your ram, even when not running

Will consider all your recommendations. Thanks. Is 32GB of RAM really that much of an overkill though? I really want my video rendering to be as quick as possible.

I'm actually considering PowerDirector for video editing, hence my need for Windows 10.

Not them but I'd start with 16gb, monitor your system once in a while and see if you need to add two more sticks. Also, name in pic??

Sounds fine.

>Is 32GB of RAM really that much of an overkill though?
Absolutely not if you are editing even remotely high quality video. But you could probably get by with 16GB if it will help you get a better monitor. Look into used professional monitors from a few years ago.

Pho To Shaop.

> Is 32GB of RAM really that much of an overkill though?

nah man, go balls deep. 4k gets heavy

Look at the computer he wants to buy, does it really seem like he's got something other than an iPhone to shoot 4K with?

No idea about name. Saved from one of the threads in /s/ a long time ago.

Intelligent assumption but don't worry about it, my director has a proper camera to work with.

I run 24 GB, and that allows me to emulate an entirely redundant V-Sphere setup. It will most definitely be sufficient for video editing/rendering.

Thanks user!

What is the camera?

pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php

Best to do your own research mate. It depends on what software and version you're using but in almost all cases you want to spend most on CPU.

As for 4K, pro camera 4K can be a bitch on your RAM, but consumer 4K is easy mode, even on 8GB RAM. I don't have scientific proof, but transcoding your videos sometimes help a lot in making your timeline smoother.

Don't spend too much on GPU. Put extra into your displays (2 displays help a lot) and learn to read scopes.

I've only seen his Canon 5D Mark III but that was on a location scouting trip. He might be using something else for the shoots though.

You should find out what you're actually going to be using before deciding on what hardware you need.

Go with a 2011 socket and get an Nvidia GPU, unless you use something other than Adobe.