Anyone own a 4K projector? Is it worth it? I live with my parents. I can move and buy a house...

Anyone own a 4K projector? Is it worth it? I live with my parents. I can move and buy a house, and a 1080p projector sometime next year. I'd probably have to live with my parents for another year if I wanted to save up to get a 4K projector (depending on what my January 2017 raise is at work).

Is a 4K projector worth it? Is a 1080p projector worth it? Or, should I just get a 4K TV?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Epson-Home-Cinema-5040UB-Enhancement/dp/B01IO0QWJA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also, a "true 4K" projector is about $10k, or I can get one with "enhanced 4K" for only $3k (see below). I'm guessing that means its not true 4K.

amazon.com/Epson-Home-Cinema-5040UB-Enhancement/dp/B01IO0QWJA

Also, is there any new type of LCD/LED technology where the lighting actually shuts off or dims when there are dark parts on the screen? Part of the reason projectors are so superior is that a scene with pure black in it will actually have no lighting in the pure black area, whereas you get that "black/gray" light bleeding in areas that should be pure black in most TVs.

I have a 1080p projector and love it. 120 inch screen + projector for under $1000

4k is nice, but projector prices for it are off the charts. My next projector will be 4k, I figure in 5 years they will be sub $1000 US.

projector vs TV depends on room size and setup.

If the room is really small or has lot of light a tV would be better.

If you have a larger room where you can control the light, projector is nice.

>not buying the kiro elite plasma display
>not having the truest blacks ever
>the best refreshrates, response times, out of any t.v, EVER
>not having nearly infinite viewing angles
why would you want anything other than a plasma? are you some sort of faggot who buys shitty technology?

>wanting obsolete technology
OLED is superior in every way

I looked this up, you can only buy them used, so no I don't want to buy a used TV.

$6500 for 1080p

uses 355 watts

no thanks

>a t.v that grows mold
>a t.v that costs ten times as much to produce and buy
>a t.v that lasts half as long (mind you plasmas already have short lifespans)
>calling something that isn't made anymore obsolete even though it's better than current and next gen display tech
you're a fucking dumbass. and oled in its current state is fucking worthless. (pretty good for phones though)

>$6500 for 1080p
>implying you have any content that is true 4k
>implying you have any means to produce 4k images at viable viewing rates

>355watts
>so poor he cares about electricity
>is going to have the t.v on 24/7 that the extra few buckaroos a month will make any real difference
when did /g become so normie tier it chooses shitty tech over something that's been proven better time and time again?

A 4k projector costs way too fucking much right now. My Epson 8350 does just fine currently. Not sure how it ranks against the current market, but I see no reason to upgrade other than to something with more light output.

Other than that, I'm hoping actual 4k content will be available with projectors are within my price range

>The classic acoustic guitar in the corner
Lol, every time.

>been proven better time and time again?
And is no longer being manufactured for a reason

R8 my mess

Projectors are shit. They have shit color, shit brightness, shit quality and are expensive as fuck.

Every time I go to the movies I notice that the colours are washed out garbage.

Neat, PVC pipes always had good usage.

>lives with parents
>wants to move out
>he's worrying about a 4k projector he would buy, clearly doesn't have money for this useless shit
Dude you should buy the cheapest 768p 22" TN TV you can find, leave the choice of 4k projectors to people with money
Even a 60"TV is enough and is cheaper than a shitty projector

Why not a 65 in 4K TV for

>Every time I go to the movies I notice that the colours are washed out garbage.

This is why I'm glad I live about 30 minutes from one of the US's only IMAX with laser projection theaters. The blacks are fucking fantastic, blows a regular movie theatre out of the water and you're right, if I go to a normal theatre now the colors look washed out as fuck to me compared to the new IMAX.

because of acne ridden pizza faces insisting they're out of stock so you'd buy their shitty LCD/LED tech which they sell at far higher profit margins than plasmas.
you've clearly never seen a plasma display.

I dig it.

>consumer laser projectors are either $20'000 compensation enablers or 5 lumen 240p pocket shits

Frustrating!

wat

If you have to save up for a year to get a piece of technology, you can't afford it.
It'll be obsolete or broken within a couple of years, and you'll need to downgrade or save up again.
Just get a 4k panel (they're cheap nowadays) or a 1080p projector and enjoy your house.

i've yet to download any 4K bluray remuxes, but for "1080p" bluray (quoted because most movies are actually shipped as 1920x800 on them), many of them barely look any different scaled down to 1280x720 (anamorphic)
probably the sharpest videos i have are older 80's/90's movies or anime

and before someone goes "i bet you don't even have a 4K display", my flatmate has a fairly new 65" 4K tv
looks excellent in games, but for movies it seems to make little difference

that said, 4K displays are also bringing in a wider colorspace and HDR support, which /do/ look better, if i got a 4K tv, it would be for those, not so much for the resolution

If you don't have the money to more or less shrug off 3-10k you have no business letting yourself be this pedantic. The content of what's being projected should make up most of your enjoyment, so what does it fucking matter if you don't have a 4k projector and have to """""settle""""" for something that still does a perfectly adequate job? Sure a 4k projector may give you pleasure, seeing a certain level of detail/color &c, but if you need that boost to make your viewing experiencing worthwhile then what the hell are you doing projecting anything in the first place? You have control over your hobbies, why the fuck would you let yourself go down the audiophile/videophile wank-fest rout.

OLED blacks are really crisp.

I work in a cinema and we use 2k projectors in 160-220 seat rooms.

You don't need neither can you justify fucking 4k projection at home.

higher resolutions will only make sense if we also increase the framerate
right now at 24fps, any movement needs to be paired with strong blur to keep visible judder down, severely limiting the effective resolution