/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

You should know what /sqt/ means by now edition

Keep all tech related questions in this thread, they do not need their own threads.

Do not bump your own question, you are NOT entitled to an answer.

After asking a question help answer other user's questions if you can do.

Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

chrisjean.com/fix-for-usb-audio-is-too-loud-and-mutes-at-low-volume-in-ubuntu/
wu.krelay.de/en/
xps2pdf.co.uk/
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100167748 600003982 600003988 600553908 600004420 600004804 600136700 600165638 600440394 600029658 600536648 600536650 600551625 600555758 601211658
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reposting from last thread
Is it just a meme or is windows 10's built-in security shit actually good and combining it with mbam and ubo makes a separate AV unnecessary?

No, it detects more false positive than actual viruses

Any free av such as Avast or AVG and such are far better, still not brilliant, but better.

I'm using ubuntu on an old laptop with a broken headphone input, so I've got a usb audio adapter for my headphones. Sound was working fine up until today and out of the blue, the volume is way too high with them on, and suddenly goes mute when lowered below about 50% volume (before there was noise on 10%, and it was about loud enough as it needed to get on 20%).

I tried this.

chrisjean.com/fix-for-usb-audio-is-too-loud-and-mutes-at-low-volume-in-ubuntu/

But it hasn't worked. How do I fix this?

I have an ASUS GPU, for overclocking should I use Afterburner or GPU Tweak?

Well fug
Any recommendations for a free non-cpu cycle hogging av that doesn't shove ads about a "premium" license into my face?

>malwarebytes

I switched to Afterburner on my old ASUS GPU because GPU Tweak gave me crashes and even a few BSODs after a particular update.

Already have malwarebytes as i stated in my original post, so does that mean i'm good?

What's a good replacement for Google Drive? Is pic related any good?

If I have two SD cards for my raspberry pi can I just have a different OS on both of them and just toggle between the cards to change operating system? Or is there OS data or whatever stored elsewhere?

What chipsets does an Intel i7 2600 support?

Got restless and thought I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling pulse audio. Problem seems to persist somehow and now I can’t even get into sound settings. Or any settings for that matter. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Sup Forums saaaaaaaaave meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I don't think you can have 2 OSs on the RPI. You could try installing 2 OSs to 1 SD card but even that might not work

Why not

Don't know if this is the right board.

Guy I know is participating in this contest, voting is done online.
Votes are linked to IP.
Was thinking about giving him some help.
Tor works, but he will probably get disqualified if they see all the ip's are coming from all over the world.

Is there any way to get some unique ip's that are all in one (my own) country. Maybe a national botnet or national anonymity network.

Installing win8.1 on a pc
on a fresh install, i check for updates, and it never goes through. either fails or checks forever.

I was told before this is because there is some first manual update you must run to get winupdate working

I searched for this, but dont know what its called so I end up at a dead end

Anyone know what I need to do to get updates working on a fresh win8.1 install?

The RPI's firmware directly reads from /boot and boots. There's no mechanism to tell it to boot one OS or another like you can have with Grub

but if /boot is on the sd card and I switch the SD card, wouldn't it have no memory of the other Os?
Or is /boot not on the SD card
?

Why the fuck is my W10 PC taking so long to open up simple shit? Photoshop takes 5 minutes on measuring memory and Steam games take ages to open, but the process is there. I THINK I changed some security shit, already tried disabling some stuff but nothing changed.

It's driving my fucking nuts.

wu.krelay.de/en/

You can thank me later babe.

I have no idea about temperatures of the PC. Is this normal after playing a game on it?

Easy way to export a discord chatlog?

Yes that's perfectly fine, its a fact of life that these things get hot.

Double check under load too to be safe.

I just put a new SSD into my computer in addition to the one I have my OS on, running Windows 10. What I want to do is simply migrate my old drive to the new (larger) one. Problem is, my computer won't recognize the new drive. I understand I need to assign it a drive letter, but will that cause any problems once I remove the old drive, and want to change the new drive letter back to C?

>-128C
the rest is A-OK but i'd look into this.

Got two for ya

Pushbullet-I'm thinking of getting it since I have a bunch of devices. Is it worth it as a paid service?

VPN: I wanna torrent safely, and possibly start getting into Private trackers. recomentations? (I have the /t/ guide, is that up to date?)

Pretty sure NOOBs support this, but not remotely. So you might be better off just having two cards,

>but will that cause any problems once I remove the old drive, and want to change the new drive letter back to C?

Probably yes. Better to use some SSD migration software.

I could use some help here...
Put together my new build before my gpu arrived, everything worked great, ran memtest for 24 hours with 0 errors.
Gpu came in yesterday, so I put it in, but when I went to turn it on, the fans made about 1 turn then nothing. I can't get it to power on at all now.
Took it all apart this morning and breadboarded it, but no luck. When I connect the psu and turn it on, the power button lights up on my mobo, but nothing happens when I press it. I jumpered the psu and the fan spins in it; nit sure if that means anything, since I have no other way to test it...

What the fuck is going on here??

I do have two cards

What motherboard model and GPU do you have?

I just got information I need for my job search (3 days on the neetwagon) in a .xps file. I need to pass it on, but they don't accept this type of file.

As far as I can see its "Microsoft Document Writer" file used for a type of digital prints, and these can be converted to .PDF

How can I convert this into the PDF?

The office programs I have here aren't letting me save it as such and all the programs I have tried plaster their big ass watermark on the converted PDF unless you buy the program. Which I am usually not adverse to doing to but I have no income as of now.

xps2pdf.co.uk/

Mobo is an Asus Maximus VI Impact with an i7 4790k
Gpu is an Asus Strix 980 ti
Psu is an OCZ 700w

Could need a bios update to support the graphics card, my 2012 gigabyte board would work with my new gtx 1070 until I updated the bios.

Any error codes on the motherboard status indicator? With the new card inserted press the "clr_cmos" button next to the indicator display.

Anything?

would not work*

VPN and firewalls question: Since all the traffic is tunneled through my firewall when I connect to the VPN, aren't all my ports exposed to the far side of the VPN? I ran a network discovery program from my phone after connecting to my VPN and saw dozens of hosts. I don't like the idea of those hosts connecting to me. What is proper security when connecting to a VPN?

Can you get it to power on with the new GPU removed? If not do the clear cmos suggestion.

Will brick and morter stores have better inventory of cheap cameras than online stores or is this just a bad time of year to get a $100 camera?

what's a
>relatively simple
>kinda fast
>decently robust
>more-or-less scalable
database solution for storing JSON-like records and querying them on arbitrary combinations of key:value criteria?

Just cloned my old SSD to a larger SSD. Is it really as simple as just unplugging the old SSD and putting the new one into its place? Running Windows 10 on PC, source drive is 250GB Samsung 850 EVO and target disk is 1TB Samsung 850 EVO.

im pretty sure postgres can do that, cant it? i think you can even have indices on keys several layers deep.

should be straightforward, just expand the partition once you're back in windows

If it doesn't boot than you can run some command line things from the installer media to make it bootable, butit should just work.

It's not even working with the integrated graphics now.
I did a BIOS update when it was still working, because I'd read about gpu compatability issues with older versions.
The Clear CMOS button is lit up, as well as the two 8-pin power LEDs on the gpu. There's nothing on the little Qcode readout, it's not lit up at all. Resetting the CMOS flickers the LEDs, but doesn't seem to change anything, with or without the gpu installed.

He'll have to do this outside of windows or with a third party partitioning tool. Windows won't let you change the C: partition while it's running.

Get Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner.

Whoever just complains about malwarebytes is just bait, ignore it.

Its like people who complain about uBlock Origin, just to fuck around, ignore them.

$100 cameras are pretty bad

>I did a BIOS update
Did it work after the BIOS update at all?

Invest $250 in a camera.
I have a DSC-H400, i love it.

All i use it is for casual photos but its way more than enough.

Yes, it still worked fine at that point.
The only thing that changed was installing the gpu.

It's for my grandma. As long as she can hit the button and take a half decent picture it will do. Point and shoot is the goal.
Do you think a "Canon PowerShot SX600 HS" would work well enough?

OK, take everything out and start from scratch (including power connectors).

Are the jumpers securely in place for fast boot and LN2?

Get some more pictures of the board from different angles.

Yeah, grannys don't even look back at their picture anyway. They just use them for taking pictures of their gardens and blowing the candles out at birthdays.

Im building a new rig soon, likely switchign on a 6600k today I saw bestbuy had an xfx 470 rs 4gb on sale for $170

Should I go buy it now, and pick up the rest in two weeks when I get my next check or should I wait and buy everything at once

If its on sale then I wouldn't wait, the prices might go back up.

i was kinda hoping there was some kind of nosql/(very) flexible schema option because i'm too lazy/stupid/indecisive to come up with sensible table definitions

Yes, jumpers are still in place.

what else should I filter?

I don't see any swollen or bulging capacitors either.

The letter e

Fedora guy again, asking my question:
I tried to connect to VPN through NetworkManager, but It failed as soon as I clicked the button. Connecting through openvpn in cli works, but I need sudo privileges. I assume its a lack of privileges that is causing the error, but my user is part of the openvpn and nm-openvpn groups. Anyone else fixed this?

desktop
redpill
#
##
amd
stock
~uguu
anime
windows 10
windows 7
gentoo
linux
richard | stallman
hiro | meta

Right, take the ram out and start her up. Any change in behavior?

Also reseat the CPU fan connector, some systems refuse to boot if they detect nothing there.

>CPU fan reset
>RAM removed
No changes to patient's condition...

can someone recommend a gaming laptop for right around a thousand dollars?
It's a gift for a kid so I'd like something simple.

Mongo does this.

Easier to just stop visiting this site in that case

Just buy your GF's son a console.

Can I move my sata HDDs from my old pc to a new pc without formating them and losing my files? My windows is on a separate SSD, which I will format for a clean install.

should i put my laptop in water for cleaning? it gets REALLY hot...
(70ºC or more, to the point where resting ur hand burns a bit)

Put one stick of RAM back in the slot nearest the CPU.

Does the kid dick ride any particular brands?

It's my cousin friendo
Nintendo lmao
But he wants to get away from that which is why he's asking for a laptop. His parents are divorced so he wants something he can move really easily

absolutely not dickwad. Take it apart to clean it. Use compressed air to get most of the dust, high concentration (90%+) rubbing alcohol and a lint-less cloth for what doesn't come off.
Get some good thermal paste, remove any heatsinks and clean off old compound, then apply the new one.
MSI makes some high-end light weight computers which would make travel easier than a lot of the monstrous things called gaming laptops. Look for something with i5 or better and dedicated GPU (960m or better probably)

One stick of RAM,
Still nothing...

Assuming they're NTFS, you shouldn't have any issues plugging them in and seeing them popping up in the Disk Management section.

Is that some kind of sound card still slotted into place? And do you have a spare PSU laying or multimeter around?

Right-click 'Computer', select 'Manage' and your drive should show up under Disk Management. Only had to do this for saving things from dead laptop HDDs, you might have to take ownership of folders at some point.

Does Windows Server 2016 suport DirectX 12?

someone tell me why I shouldn't buy a razer system
I'm blinded by chroma

Probably unrelated but these caps look sort of non-uniform in a worrying way, what is that?

Anyone know a RegEx I can use for JavaScript that will search RANDOM assortments of characters that do NOT add up to a word?

For example, so Sup Forums will filter:
Xdd41kll323_zxc9.jpg
but NOT:
XDdd_SoFunny002.jpg

idk, probably not, but worth a short asking.
I've seen some crazy RegEx before, but idk how you might filter basically stuff that does not fit into a library..

but, maybe there is. Anyone?

Yeah, the sound and wifi cards slot in vertically on their own pins.

No extra psu or multimeter...

Have your pick. Read reviews. Get an extended warranty.
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100167748 600003982 600003988 600553908 600004420 600004804 600136700 600165638 600440394 600029658 600536648 600536650 600551625 600555758 601211658

I'm in need of a laptop and I want something with an active pen digitizer, since I like to draw and generally do art.
I currently have an x220 tablet, but with all the issues I've been having with it, I'm thinking about throwing it on ebay if I can find something better.
(issues: screen pressure spots, brittle and creaky plastics, rubber trim pieces falling off, very inaccurate digitizer, meh performance, chugs in applications like photoshop, 2.5-3.5 hours of battery life on power saver mode, etc)

The Elitebook 2760p looks seems to be better built, but has most of the same issues, the Dell XT3 is supposedly a time bomb before the digitizer dies, and the x230t is the same as what I have, just with a better cpu/graphics.
I don't mind buying used if it's in good shape, I just want something that'll work, and if new, I'd want decent warranties or support if in case something goes wrong, which is why I ruled out the Cube i7 stylus, as decent as that seems.
I have stand alone graphics tablets and they're fine, but I don't work as well with them as I do with an active display.

Anyone know of any good laptops or tablets (better than this at least) with an active digitizer for

Have you tried the paperclip test on your PSU? Even if that's not the issue, it shouldn't take long to check.

Too many colors and LED's are obnoxious. If your computer is in your bedroom/dormroom it will get old really fast.

What's the easiest way to get Thunderbird to start up minimized to tray? Setting "minimized" in shortcut options didn't work.

Yes, and the psu fan spins, but that's all I know about it... I have no definitive proof that that means it still works properly.

Meme lighting gets old fast, this is coming from somebody who bought a Ducky Shine 3. ou get tired of the flashing lights-Las Vegas strip aesthetic eventually.

Is a 4k tv really worth it?

Ah ok. Well at this stage I suggest reseating the CPU.

If you can borrow a multimeter to test the voltages when trying to power up the motherboard it will show if the PSU is going into shutdown (voltages should be solid and stable).

Any reasons besides the lights? I'm really liking the size and the departure from red and black gaming laptops I see everywhere.

You mean these?
They're on the little audio card. It looks like they just left a little extra wire when they soldered them in; they wiggle a tiny bit, but they're all still soldered in.

I have a personal thing against gaming branded crap, mostly that having gaming in the name just increases price. I've known a few people who got gaming laptops, keyboards, and mice that had a shorter lifetime than they should have. One of my friends had an alienware laptop that had battery issues the week after it was out of warranty. I had a turtle beach headset and I ended up getting 4 pairs of them in the warranty period.

>started trial for adobe cs6 production premium
>lol no free serial keys for this one
Will changing the system date temporarily on launch allow an infinite trial? Or do I have change it when the program closes? Or the entire time it is open?

People troubleshooting your no POST issues here: Unplug the power supply then take out the CMOS battery and short the two terminals on the board together to remove any residual charge keeping the CMOS memory alive. Connect a speaker to the speaker pinouts on the motherboard. You need at least one RAM module installed - make sure it's in the proper slot per your motherboard manual and make sure it's absolutely inserted firmly. Boot with no cards installed. Even if there's no onboard video, you should at least get a 'no video' beep code from the speaker.