Hey Sup Forums, I was wondering which distro would you use on a 1GHz and 512mb ram pc

Hey Sup Forums, I was wondering which distro would you use on a 1GHz and 512mb ram pc.
I thought of Debian because it doesn't need a lot to work fine but I want to know your opinions on what distro should one use.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu
help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The heaviest part of any distro is the desktop environment. Ditch that and every distro fits into 512MB.

i would use some old slackware like version 8.x but that sounds like some ancient PC, i would not even bother using it,

and like said the desktop environment GUI sucks up most the ram & CPU cycles, run it in CLI mode, learn to enjoy surfing the internet with a CLI web browser like Links or Lynx, there are even IRC clients for CLI, and even Midnight Commander file manager, mp3blaster for music, once you get in to CLI you will find Linux has a lot of apps that run in the CLI

CLI = commandline interface (text mode) no Xorg

Anything running MATE.

Or if you want to go balls deep, ditch DEs all together and just run a window manager :^)

debian with lxde/xfce/simple window manager

I though of this actually, just use i3wm but based on what I've read, it needs a DE to work but I'm not sure.

The project I have in mind needs a DE so it can be easy to use.

antiX. Debian based distro suited for old computers.

Arch with a lightweight wm, rxvt-unicode as terminal, then the browser of your choice to eat the rest of the available RAM. Gentoo would be better since minimal USE flags can cut down the RAM usage a bit. You can either use another computer with better hardware to do the compiling or just set it to compile during night or whenever else you're not using your computer.

I'd go Slackware with a lightweight WM like open/flux/blackbox, FVWM2, or something like that.

Didn't know about this one, I'll chek it out, thanks user.

Arch Linux with Mate(lightweight)/Xfce(more lightweight)/Lxqt(super-lightweight)/Fluxbox(ultra-lightweight) desktop environment. You can increase system performance by using zram/zswap.

Android. Grab the AOSP and make your own image for your specs.

puppy or lubuntu
arch with openbox if you don't mind Sup Forums making fun of you

>i3wm but based on what I've read, it needs a DE to work
no it doesn't

BunsenLabs? Suppose you could just throw your own Debian + openbox together and maybe trim it down a little further.

in my experience cbpp runs on less memory than bunsenlabs

wattos if you want buntu based.

Like the other user said, GUI are the most hungry parts of Linux distros.
I would go for something with LXDE or Openbox. If you have time, try Lubuntu and if that isn't optimal, change the DE or install another distro.

Hasn't CBPP stopped development? Or at least they weren't active for a while.

Damn Small Linux
or
Puppy Linux

Lubuntu is not enough.

FreeDOS would work really quite well as well.

i think there has only been one release
some people still post on the subreddit, so maybe it;s alive

Debian + LXDE
Ubuntu (min install)
Lubuntu
Xubuntu
Other...

I use lubuntu on a computer with 448MB RAM (64 used by graphics card). I use Debian+LXDE on a very very old computer with 256MB RAM. Obviously you will have a lot of restrictions on what you can do (graphically). You aren't going to open very large documents without waiting. You aren't going to play HD vids. But it works.

You just need to do your own research and find a distro you like, then find the lightweight DE that comes with it. I would stick with "popular" distros like Fedora, Ubuntu, or Debian. Using something like Arch is stupid unless you are competent in linux (you wouldn't be asking your question if you were) or looking for a challenge.

I would recommend Lubuntu.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu

If you go with Lubuntu then you will need the "Alternate" install for a computer with 512MB.
help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

>I was wondering which distro would you use

Debian. Full Stop. On everything.

>2016
>512MB RAM and 1GHz
Seriously, why? I am genuinely curious, even a cheap Rasperry PI is better.

With SCSI drives it'd make a decent retro-ish DAW.

I have a Dell GX200 with a P3-933 and 512MB of RAM on it. Throw XP and a copy of FL Studio 7 on it and I'm making music.

>LXDE
What a meme.

Any distro will work, how "heavy" a distro is on your resource usage mainly depends on what software you decide to run and/or what software you decide not to run. 512MiB is still pretty generous tho, you can easily runn a DE in that. Maybe you'll have to disable some services like file indexing etc.

My secondary pc runs FreeBSD with XFCE fairly well. Its a little better than your setup specs-wise (mines an Athlon XP 1.66ghz + 1.5gb RAM). For linux though I'd go with Debian plus XFCE or LXDE. Even on mine XFCE can be a bit sluggish at times though.

OP here, thanks for the replies Sup Forums, I'm getting a Raspberry Pi Zero so I can make some stuff in it, something like said but not with music, at first I will use Raspbian justo to see how it is (due to it is the "offcial" raspberry distro) if I don't get satisfied and convinced I will try some things you guys posted.

Archbang

Download a fast distro which comes with a decent Window Manager, eg the community Manjaro i3 iso. Your system will consume about 180 megabyte of RAM + whatever programs you run. Also, use lightweight software. Midori, Abiword, Gnumeric etc.

WAYLAND AND XFCE OR MATE

windows 2000 sp3 would work well on a 1 GHz 500MB machine

Windows 2000

I used Debian for years on an old rack-mounted 1GHZ Xeon server with 256MB of ram as an SFTP file server. It had 350GB of SCSI Raid 5 storage.

I just used the small netinstall Debian ISO, and only installed the programs I needed for an SFTP file server.