/pcbg/ - PC Building General

OP is a dumb frogposter edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/LsdYm8
pcpartpicker.com/list/NqT92R
it.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tactic/saved/N2QYcf
pcpartpicker.com/user/eduz/saved/yMyK8d
pcpartpicker.com/list/RhgxRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/KHxmm8
pcpartpicker.com/product/wjmLrH/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu12s
pcpartpicker.com/list/HTmjBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/cYXWzM
motherboards.specout.com/compare/6034-6036/MSI-X99A-SLI-PLUS-vs-MSI-X99A-RAIDER
pcpartpicker.com/list/hnDytJ
amazon.com/Samsung-Curved-22-Inch-Monitor-C22F390/dp/B01D3BDXP6
pcpartpicker.com/list/RwVPQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/xvWLFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/DYgytJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/vCzdd6
pcpartpicker.com/list/BRvQcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/CtHZ9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/s8CPQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/khJD7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/RpLLFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/vwfcGf
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260488
pcpartpicker.com/list/LfLLFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/smtytJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/nKDCFd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>dumb frogposter

>could get a GTX 1050 Ti for 150 bux
>could get a R9 270X for 100 bux instead
oh lord life is a struggle

Well that's why i'm asking what cooler to use. What about this one?

pcpartpicker.com/list/LsdYm8

It looks nice to me.

get something like this
pcpartpicker.com/list/NqT92R
the xeon listed has 8 cores and 16 threads
8 ram slots on mobo
the 212 evo is an excellent fan for its price

Get a RX 470 instead

That does look really nice, but it looks like the speed is much slower, but i don't know as much about cpu stuff as i should so i don't know how important that is.

It (the Xeon) performs better for multicore stuff, but the i7 will do a lot better in single core.

So basically the Xeon would be better for 3d modeling, sculpting and stuff and the i7 would be better for stuff like vidyiagames?

If that's the case then i might just go for the Xeon, i barely even play vidya anymore.

yeah pretty much

Just built a new PC if you don't have a super limited budget you can do this build (For gaming btw)
CPU: i5 6600
Mobo: MSI h110 pro vhd
GPU: MSI Geforce 1060
RAM: 16gb Avexir brand
PSU: Corsair cx-m (550w go for the 750w if youre gonna OC)
COoler: CryoRig H7
Case: anything that fits mid ATX
If you plan on OC: i5 6600k with a asus z170 mobo

it.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tactic/saved/N2QYcf

How is my build?
I'm recovering tho, my Seidon cooler died and the heat from the broken cooler corrupted the both ram slots, i'm actually hanging on a 4gb bluescreen prone stick until amazon ships 16gb 1866 ddr3 fury to me.
I'm thinking about going back to air cooler and changing case,
i love the Corsair C70 and maybe i'll get an nh14 Noctua
>any recommendations?

pcpartpicker.com/user/eduz/saved/yMyK8d
I just upgraded my build for school/gaming use for max $1.5k.
Should anything be changed/upgraded from this build with my 1.5k?
I'll try to OC everything to try to squeeze all the performance from the components, too.

What's the most future-proof component to buy for ~$200-$300? I have a $200 Micro Center gift card and I'm enlisting in the air force soon, so it'll be probably ~8 months until I can have my desktop again but I need to use this gift card.

>pcpartpicker.com/user/eduz/saved/yMyK8d

120GB SSD ain't gonna be shit, games will fill it up very quick. Go for 250-500.

Also have a look at the keyboard general, Brown switches are garbage.

Which build should I go with?

pcpartpicker.com/list/RhgxRG

pcpartpicker.com/list/KHxmm8

I'm open to suggestions but I'm trying to keep it under $700. Also unsure if 500w or 600w would be better.

>OC
Then don't buy a cooler that's bare minimum for the 6600K. See: pcpartpicker.com/product/wjmLrH/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu12s
You should get a bigger SSD, 120GB is nothing if you want more than OS + bare minimum on it.

Been thinking of building a new PC since current one is on the way out.

Is Kaby Lake gonna be much better than Sky Lake?

Probably neither, but if you have to chose between those two, take the first.
Here's a more expensive and better alternative: pcpartpicker.com/list/HTmjBP
B150 is recommended for i5-6500, H7 (optional) to keep it cool and quiet, optional SSD added, higher clocked RX480 and cheaper case.
500W is more than enough for your build.

>Is Kaby Lake gonna be much better than Sky Lake?
Nope and prices probably won't drop either. If you can wait until mid/end of january. Prices are crazy because of christmas.

Is the FX-6300 worth it for 70€? Usage will mostly be uni/work and some gaming (Skyrim, Total War, ...).

Any Australians found good deals on GPUs?

Have you had luck buying second hand from overseas?

Thanks a lot, user. I'll go with your build instead. If I remove the extra SSD it's within my budget (only plan on downloading 2 games right off the bat.)

If you don't have much data/games or have a spare old HDD somewhere flying around or cloud storage available, you could get a SSD now and HDD later.
Idk what you'll be doing, but you could get the 4GB version of the RX480, too. It's about $220.

I'm trying to future proof it and apparently some games have already used more than 4gb vram.

pcpartpicker.com/list/cYXWzM
destroy me
>mfw you cant

Get ready for the most underwhelming boot experience

motherboards.specout.com/compare/6034-6036/MSI-X99A-SLI-PLUS-vs-MSI-X99A-RAIDER

Which one do i get? SLI is a meme so i should go for the Raider right? But the sli plus is cheaper, am i missing something?

Would I be fucking myself over if I bought a 3gb video card?

Buying a new computer that has to run Windows 10. Enjoy being spied on.

Enjoy being mentally retarded.

>1060 3G
Absolutely. 3G isn't much and that card is extra gimped.

Pretty much every midrange+ motherboard made in the past 10 years has SLI support

Trying to sell my PC
How much is this worth?

Gigabyte Z97N-WiFi mITX Motherboard
Intel Core i5-4690K Processor
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
XFX R9 280X Graphics card
Corsair 380T mITX Case
512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD
1TB WD10SPCX HDD
Hyper 212EVO CPU Cooler
EVGA NEX750B 80+ Bronze Power Supply

gtx 970 used for $200

or

rx 470 new for $280

1000 or more.
even used, that's pretty good.

Rx 470

is it worth the $80 more?

gonna use it for 1 year only..

>1 year only
But why?
In that case, use the 970 I guess, but still, why?

pcpartpicker.com/list/hnDytJ

All old parts though..
Used PC market is dictated by the price/performance of current gen hardware.

plan to upgrade from 1080p60 to 4k60 (or some ultrawide meme monitor) whenever volta comes out.

I just want best performance per dollar right at this time.

need to buy a new desktop for MAX £500
just general best performance/£

just need to know when the cheapest time to buy parts will be
will xmas affect anything

So my first restart installed lots of shit like my audio, updated windows, and the gpu all on it's own. Had like 10 notifications. I've been playing for 2 hours straight. Do I need to download the drivers like lan/chipset? That's what I did before I restarted even though I didn't run those programs yet lmao. I mean I never updated my 560ti build even once.

Will there be a noticable difference in temps if I go push/pull rather than a single fan on the heatsink?

Hi /pcbg/, I need some advice.
I found this pretty cheap freesync monitor.
amazon.com/Samsung-Curved-22-Inch-Monitor-C22F390/dp/B01D3BDXP6

If you don't feel like clicking the link I'll tell you the specs:
>22"
>1080p
>tn display
>curved
>$149

Is this thing worth buying? I know that tn is bad for display range, but I already have a 23" ips monitor that I'm going to use with the new one.
I'll probably put the freesync one right in the middle of my desk and the ips one to the side so the display angles shouldn't bother me too much.

Recommend a case pls

Me

The CPU cooling fan does fit the one I bought months earlier, and I don't trust water cooling.

Also does fit airflow for the hardware I got. Fuck it all

nzxt s340 elite

check those temps dude

With regards to compatibility on all these parts how am I looking? Also, I intend on using Windows 7. And what kind of software should I use?
pcpartpicker.com/list/RwVPQV

Friends first pc

The case is going to be free.

pcpartpicker.com/list/xvWLFd

take a look at this: pcpartpicker.com/list/DYgytJ

I got the 6400 since it's a bit cheaper and won't be a bottleneck for any of the other parts.
Swapped out the case for a cheaper one, but one that is still high quality and easy to build in.
650W is a bit overkill for that build, so I got a slightly weaker PSU.

Used the extra money towards a 1tb hdd.

Want to refresh my build. Im coming from a locked haswell i5.

pcpartpicker.com/list/vCzdd6

my current pc in speccy.

Im giving him the case its my old one.

All seems pretty good except the crazy expensive PSU.
- If you're deadset on getting an ultra good one, the corsair RM 550w is just as good build quality and still way more than enough power for them. The EVGA BQ 500w is bronze rated, well constructed, and costs only $55.
-The SSD might not offer enough storage, but I'm guessing you probably have an old HDD lying around for them to use as mass storage, or will add that later.
-It's probably worth upgrading to the Rx 480 in this price category. There are 480's going for $209 but with a $20 rebate.

absolutely no reason to refresh unless you upgrade to a higher resolution monitor

used 980ti for $420 canadian no tax

or

new 1070 for $600 canadian including tax and shipping

here is updated parts list.

pcpartpicker.com/list/BRvQcc

See if you can get a sapphire 470. They're one of the best partners for AMD.

Someone in another thread told me that sync monitors are a meme. If they are a meme, should I get the rx 480 or gtx 1060?

why not rx 470?

That is usually the one i would get i still wish i would have gotten the Sapphire r9 390 but my stupid case (air 240) couldn't fit it so i had to get an MSI. And i love the card so i trust MSI for AMD as well as Sapphire.

Get the 970 assuming there is nothing wrong with it.

why does my MSI RX 480 4GB randomly flicker black for 1-2 seconds randomly? seems to do it more under load, but will do it basically doing nothing occasionally

morrowind keeps crashing, too, though ive heard that newer cards are more likely to do that with old games

Check your drivers man.

I know AMD updated a while ago.

pcpartpicker.com/list/CtHZ9W

need a cheap case with good airflow to go with this build. not looking for anything fancy or "aesthetic"... just something that will get the job done at a fair price.

Ive got 16.11.5, says its up to date. tried 16.9 and 16.7 too, same shit

Look at Fractals, they're decently cheap and somewhat minimalist

pcpartpicker.com/list/s8CPQV
making a computer for a friend and he does music and gaming, rate my skills on building shit

I would check if you can go with a 550W PSU and use the extra cash towards a bigger HDD

>Pentium G3528 (only software overclocked to 3.8GHz, never resolved OC issue with UEFI)
>GTX 650 Ti
>8GB RAM

This gets me around 40 FPS on High settings in Overwatch on a 1650x1050 monitor. What would be the most cost-effective GPU upgrade to get consistent 60FPS with max settings? Googling suggests the 1050 Ti but all the new budet builds seem to use the i3-6100. I only want to swap the GPU right now since it's disproportionately old and don't want to fuck with a new mobo/RAM for marginal Skylake/hyperthreading gains.

>nearly same price
>twice the performance of said cards I was looking at
>despite being released in 2016
the fuck

1050 ti / RX 470 is your best bet.

Either buy a 1050 ti now, or wait for the 470 to undercut the high end ti's later on.

>6600k
>h170
clearly very skilled indeed.

>have asrock board
>buy zotac card
>bios logo now reads "ASROCK ZOTAC"

nani?

>took my six hours to build my computer and it's not even remotely finished yet

JDIMSA

help me make this build cheaper, I only want to play stuff at 1080p and 30+ fps.

pcpartpicker.com/list/khJD7h

go ahead and take your time my dude. I almost always just boot shit up and then do proper cable management and expansion cards beyond gpu later because I am impatient.

pcpartpicker.com/list/RpLLFd

>suggesting a card that costs 100 bux more

First time always takes forever, mainly because you're stressing out the whole time.
By the way, if you complete, turn it on and nothing happens, don't panic. Check your cabling and your RAM and try again.

do you need a 27 inch monitor? Ive been gaming on a 21.5" for a year and have no problems with it.

sarcasm?

Yes. get a z170.
pcpartpicker.com/list/vwfcGf
Can be even cheaper than that with a mechanical hard drive.

If you are getting an overclockable CPU get a Z170 Chipset Mobo for best overclocking capabilities. If not just pick up a B150 and a 6500 and save ~50 bucks

thx for the help

yes. I need it for work,also ips is a must.

I need a 27 inch monitor, thx though

Shave 5 bucks off go with an adata sp550

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260488 buy this monitor: 1080p 75Hz OC Freesync IPS. How can you not buy this

pcpartpicker.com/list/LfLLFd
hopefully this is better

get the 1050TI

>suggesting a shitty card that runs the same but costs 70 dollars more
lmao

Thinking of upgrading for the holidays.
Anything more obviously in need of attention than upgrading the GPU and switching to SSD?

Low end corsair power supplies are extremely failure prone and don't supply full power unless kept very low temperature. Get something of better build quality. The low-end evga units are usually fine but I suggest shopping around.
Besides that, it actually looks pretty solid now. Might want a 120gb or 240/250gb ssd with that price tier but it's optional.

Should I get an rx 480 with a cheapish freesync monitor or a gtx 1060 with a regular monitor?

holy shit, thx for the monitor link m9, I was using pcpartpicker and did not see this one.

pcpartpicker.com/list/smtytJ
Thanks for telling me, and for reviewing the build

>Finally finish getting the remaining parts for my build
pcpartpicker.com/list/nKDCFd
>Fucking Cooler doesn't fit because of the shielding on the MOBO

I get an X31 out of it, so I guess its better than this piece of shit, but still, fucking hell.

Bought a Define Nano S with the solid side panel. I want to put more acoustic foam on the side panel to dampen the noise more. Anyone have any recommendations?

Intel i5 6400 or Fx 8350 (wraith)?

The fx seems to Benchmark better, but I dont know about the sustainability of amd cpus
Dont want it to kick the bucket in one or two Years.

>rx 470 for 150 dollars in amazon.com
>it would total to 210 eur if I shipped from amazon.com to europe
why do I live here

The gaming pc I plan on building, any thoughts?