Why is every CS job Front-End/Full Stack/Javascript Only Positions???

These jobs look for:
>Experience JavaScript, jQuery, MySQL, CSS, HTML, AJAX, Angular, Backbone, Ember, React

I have experience with:
>Algorithms & Data Structures, Automata Theory, Discrete Mathematics, Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis, Mathematical Logic, Java, Machine Learning, etc. but not this EXPERIENCE with all the shit they are asking for.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/about/careers/search?src=Online/TOPs/NA Tech University#!t=jo&jid=3256001
w3schools.com/js/
codecademy.com/learn/javascript
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/JavaScript
codeschool.com/learn/javascript
codecademy.com/
amazon.com/dp/1118907442/
amazon.com/dp/0596517742/
youtube.com/channel/UCO1cgjhGzsSYb1rsB4bFe4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=6G3kQyqMFpQ&ab_channel=ElitheComputerGuyLive
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're confusing Computer Science with Software Engineering.

What the fuck do I do? I can't get a job because I don't qualify for any.

I attended several career fairs (about to attend another one this week) and it's all the same bullshit requirements. I have no fucking experience in any of this shit and all the companies that are hiring look for skill sets I have no experience in. So they don't interview me.

back end?

Pure CS has a very small number of jobs available.
Software Engineering has an abundance.
The web is THE platform for delivering applications these days, so almost all SE jobs require experience with it.

So either go to graduate school and become a teacher or go into research, or learn more SE skills (namely web dev).

You know Java, and cannot get a job?

You know Java, but cannot pick up HTML and Javascript?

Did a quick search for one backend position at this career fair they ask for:

>experience building web infrastructure in Java/Ruby/Go

I have Java experience but not building wen infrastructure -- so does this alone disqualify me?

They say
> NoSQL databases knowledge would be nice

Never studied that shit in Algorithms, Data Structures, Discrete Math, Real Analysis, Group theory, Number theory, OS, Java Programming, etc...

>AWS or the Google Cloud Platform knowledge

Don't have any experience with that either.

Here you go bud, you meet the minimum qualifications, give it a shot.

google.com/about/careers/search?src=Online/TOPs/NA Tech University#!t=jo&jid=3256001

Then you should start learning that.

fine i will do SE then

>You know Java, but cannot pick up HTML and Javascript?

I could pick it up, but what am I suppose to do? be unemployed while I learn JavaScript and HTML shit on the side? Can a company not hire me and let me pick that shit up on the job as opposed to being an expert in it coming out of school?

I didn't know there was a difference between CS and Software Engineering until I tried to apply for jobs and saw I matched none of the skill sets they're looking for. Might as well had just done mathematics.

>google.com/about/careers/search?src=Online/TOPs/NA Tech University#!t=jo&jid=3256001

OP here, cool thanks.

>an a company not hire me and let me pick that shit up on the job
That's called an internship, user.

fine get in to an internship. I will do it for like 7 weeks. if i fit in i do cs/se if i dont i look at law/finance

>be unemployed while I learn JavaScript and HTML on the side?
You are unemployed now. And learning Javascript takes a whopping 2-3 days, if you know any other programming language well. Basic HTML you can probably pick up in a couple of hours.

A lot of tech companies do these types of hires. They're called new grad hires and they have very little qualifications beyond a degree. You can find them at Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, Bloomberg, Palantir, Uber, etc.

by your own admission im "intermediate" at this. get me into something

>dumb frogposter
>knows only Java and can't pick anything else on his own
>fell for a meme degree
Are you an Indian by any chance?

So you've graduated and never had an internship?
You're really supposed to do that BEFORE you graduate...
Somewhere around sophomore year, you take a summer off to work an internship.

that for the history lesson because my sophomore year is history now.

Not him but where do u learn the inns and outs of JS in 2-3 days assuming prior imperative and object oriented language experience?

He isn't OP, I am. I graduated but no relevant internships in programming. I did summer research

I studied more pure math + CS, not pure programming and no none of my classes taught web development. I'm sure I can learn it quickly, where are the best resources?

w3schools.com/js/
codecademy.com/learn/javascript
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/JavaScript
codeschool.com/learn/javascript

Learn Javascript, not master every aspect of it enough to write a bestselling book.

codecademy.com/

That will give you a crash course in very, very, very basic HTML and JavaScript (just enough to get a feel for the syntax, really).

amazon.com/dp/1118907442/
amazon.com/dp/0596517742/

Those will go more in-depth.

Start looking for internships.

>learn
Not that interested

Thanks for the links. I'll follow up on them. Unfortunately I can't look for internships as I already graduated.

How does Functional Programming languages like Elm, Clojure interplay with JS and web development? Is it recommended to learn those as well?

I doubt they will outright refuse you if you are a recent graduate.
Typically, they ask for people who are current students because the internships last about a semester (and so they can pay you shit).

>Elm, Clojure
No clue, as I have no idea what those languages look like.

JS, HTML, and CSS are quite simple though. If you have already learned Java, then learning those three (combined) will be even easier.

I'll check into it.

Ok gives me hope.

Best of luck, friend. Web development is a "lower tier" of programming, in that it is easier, and some clients are of the "can you put a picture of my cat?" variety. But it is also in very high demand, and a job is a job!

>Why is a front end design job looking for front end experience?

bc that's the kind of software that people want

I spent close to 8 long months developing an Android app to put on my resume. Haven't received any job offers as of yet. Most android dev jobs I've looked at want someone who's mid-senior level. Pisses me off knowing that I could have just done code monkey webdev all along and gotten an easier time getting an entry level job.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Because of how large and encompassing web development is these days, your experience will vary greatly depending on what you're working on.
For example, I do logistics software. I mainly do web applications, but they are all data-driven so like 99% of my time is writing backend code and SQL.

If you're making a consumer website, though, you'll spend a lot more time on HTML / JavaScript / CSS.

Pretty front ends make users click. Computers are faster. Prove me wrong.

IT is working with people

CS is working with computers

It's that simple. CS and software engineering are the same.

I found a very good channel where they explain different aspects of JS and how prototype OOP is different from class based OOP.

youtube.com/channel/UCO1cgjhGzsSYb1rsB4bFe4Q

OP, what you have learned in CS is far more valuable theoretical knowledge than any SE/IT fag will learn. you were suppose to learn the practical languages outside of school on your own. i did not do any learning in school either. Like you i did CS as well. do not be disheartened by the req. they have on the job listings. just look for jobs that require entry level experience and apply to them. put on your resume that you can learn really quickly. i do not know what is going on these days, but in many places they fight over CS grads, hands over fist, because they know how much more capable they are. even if a CS grad does not know the technologies, he can learn it quickly. you have to put on your resume that you are a quick study and lern new tools and technologies quickly. also, i did not do any internship either. dont listen to these idiots. no one expects you to know all the technologies they ask, when they are also asking for entry level experience. if people cannot recognize the value of a CS degree and turn you down because of unfamiliarity with language, then try to find more tech oriented companies.

in my area, some tech companies were even hiring math grads and training them on the job for IT shit. they were literally hiring math grads over IT/IS grads. doublekek.

> NoSQL databases knowledge would be nice
setup a mongodb cluster

>AWS or the Google Cloud Platform knowledge
AWS offers one year free for demo purposes

get to work

what is the point of NSQL """knowledge""" the whole point is no knowledge required. SQL requires knowledge. NOSQL requires no knowledge. there is nothing complicated about NOSQL has no constraints it has no references it has no indexes. its a dumb "document" store where you have choice to use an """ORM""" for it to be useful.

you're going about knowledge again.
your employers want experience though.

set it up and get used to the structure, the commands, get to know what can go wrong, etc.

Thanks for the tips.

Gaining knowledge can also help you gain experience if you apply it towards a personal project that you can show off.

i am making a personal project and i specially chose a db solution that would do the job not some meme shit db like mongo

What the fuck jobs are you looking for? I'm looking for just internships and I have no trouble finding positions that avoid web memes.

I worked at a big data company with computer scientists (most with PhDs some with Master's), they wouldn't hire anyone with less than 10 years experience.

If you're aiming for a job though you're better off with a project that incorporates things like mongo or NoSQL.

Think of it this way - your application will most likely have to get through HR filters and even if you learned to create an entire DB enterprise system from scratch you'll probably lose out to the pajeet that wrote down he's familiar with all sorts of corporate favorite software.

It's not just about learning, but learning to put in the work that makes you valuable as an important cog in someone's business.

are you trying to demotivate me?

Prashat?

No, just suggesting you cool your Sup Forums autism a bit and really look at what you're lacking for your resume, then build towards that. You should still learn the ins and outs of databases, but you won't get far being a stickler for turning up your nose up at a library or tool.

literally no one except for meme startups use mongo. I instead spend time learning postgresql and their JSONB document store. I have """knowledge""" about that and how it works and how to manipulate data in it etc...

What people want
>Code that makes things look nice and produces money

What you have experience with
>Woah META ABSTRACT WEED LMAO

It's like you think businesses give a shit if you can master some obscure algorithmic theory. Programmers are the most annoying hipster manchildren of any profession.

OP here, I took your advice thanks.

Looks like others have questions too lol

Sorry, you're simply less qualified then Pajeet who did a two month bootcamp course in Mumbai

You fell for the CS meme.

Nothing personal son.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I now realize what it must feel like to talk to some jumped up punk who thinks he knows everything.

Enjoy programming driver software and boring ass infrastructure solutions. I was almost in the same boat as you except I worked as a freelance web-dev while getting my degrees in C.E and MIS.

Just out of school I was interviewing for a ton of dev jobs that where all C++/Java driver and infrastructure jobs, they are definitely out there. Take a look at any of the major tech hardware companies. AMD, Intel, a few others like Workday. Basically more "established" companies are in need of people with pure CS logic.

But if you really want to be flexible. Start spinning up cloud instances on AWS and shit like Heroku and burn through learning the MEAN Stack - Honestly the quickest way into becoming a super flexible candidate for full-stack dev. Then if you want go through the LAMP stack (What I'm working in, in addition to machine learning - I write a shit ton of algo's for the company I work for)

>freelance web-dev
How do you find work as one?

>falling for the functional programming meme
I love FP, love Scala, love Java but they'll next to useless in the real world

I went with the networking stream for my final year of CS, it has Network Security and Practical Networking as mandatory modules.

If I'm lucky maybe I get Symantec or some high-tier encryption based job that might actually be interesting, worst case I become another anonymous system-admin supporting some mid-tier company's IT team.

CS to a view of coding procedures and processes is the most pure application of computing but in reality it's all been done before.

You could go down the optimizer route but you really want to know what the fuck you're doing in that regard, and if you have no experience life will be hard.

Sorry user but basically most CS/Maths guys do end up institutionalized because in reality the actual need for CS to a profit based company is minimal.

You fucked up too by not doing Big Data stuff, Data Analytics and Hadoop are off the hook right now for employment.

Learn Pig, learn Spark and you'll get employed probably, or else do Cloud shit. Javascript, MySQL, CSS + HTML is all pajeet territory. Everything else you mentioned is hipster bullshit with the exception of AJAX.

It's definitely a tougher sphere now than it was a few years ago. There are a few routes you can go -

1. Go the bidding route and bid on contracts through sites like freelancer or upwork - I personally think this way sucks just because I feel like its almost too robotic. Not only that but 99% of the time you will get outbid by Manjeeb from India because the client just wants the cheapest work done with no fucks given to the final product.

2. This is honestly the best way, is through refferals, This was the route I went through, it's a slower way to generate revenue, however the clients become long standing ones and not only that but they become part of a strong referal pool. What I did was just introduce myself to everyone in a situation and just get to know people and kind of just throw it out there that if they had anyone that needed any work. This is especially true in Universities and shit where tools like to make "start-ups", those are the easiest to run because most of the time those projects last 2 weeks tops, you make a couple hundred/thousand depending on the nature. But its all about just being personable, kind of like growing any local business.

I just do it on the side now for super small projects, and I have a few clients I just do upkeep for now. But due to the prevalence of route one, route two has become a little harder to work through, but its a hell of a lot more rewarding, not only that but you become more known through your communities by doing it like that.

This is really useful advice. Saved it for future reading. Thanks. Key @ pic

Thanks. Route 2 seems like my kind of thing. Where should I go looking to introduce myself and my services though? Most everyone I know at Uni are other students or professors. Maybe Meetup.com?

Honestly you be surprised by the amount of work just talking to fellow students and professors gives you. I remember I had one professor who I mentioned I was a developer on the first day of class once and he set me up with two projects, one I worked for free on (it was for a charity, I'm an absolute sucker for those and doing pro-bono work) but he asked If I could write him a simple phone app for an idea he had to take attendance. He paid me 5k for it, and it was only 3 weeks worth of work.

Another way to get referrals is in the community, if you see a new restaurant or bar opening, go to it and just check out their web presence (website, Facebook page, google maps and reviews and shit) and if they don't have one, try to somehow get a connection to the manager/owner. Normally bar and restaurant owners are so whacked out by running their service business that they don't have time to worry about the online stuff, you could really fuck up a conversation with them and still have a strong reason for them to hire you.

If you're having trouble getting started, what I did was a kind of "fake it till you make it" approach, I basically bought a bunch of shitty domains and built them all out and linked the work back to my main website, so whenever I would hand out a card or pull stuff up I would look like I'm the absolute shit at this.

>If you're having trouble getting started, what I did was a kind of "fake it till you make it" approach, I basically bought a bunch of shitty domains and built them all out and linked the work back to my main website, so whenever I would hand out a card or pull stuff up I would look like I'm the absolute shit at this.

Good approach. My friend did this and made his website look baller. He also put some of his previous work on it (linked to other websites he made for companies, or work he did for other companies) and people have contacted him for additional work due to it. He is very selective about what he chooses to do, but your advice works.

Also great job w/ the prof. paying you. That's amazing.

try looking at oculus if they're hiring.

>Also great job w/ the prof. paying you. That's amazing.
Thanks man it felt good, it took care of my tuition that semester!

But yeah I feel like the whole "fake it until you make it" approach works really well in almost any technology situation where you are doing contract work.

Basically doing the whole freelance thing this way really teaches you how to market yourself, meet some awesome people, and is a perfect example of what the "snowball" effect looks like, because once that referral ball starts rolling, the work just keeps getting better and better, and honestly pays more and more because you grow as a person with it.

I had one classmate come to me with an idea, but it was way over the top for me and I had to turn it down. He wanted his own Uber-like app to compete with Uber itself.

Dang man that sounds pretty cool!

I don't know exactly what specific college you're in, but with ideas like those I always loved running with them. I was part of the college of business at my university (Management Info Systems) and The college of Engineering (Computer Engineering).

Some kids from the engineering school would come up with some insane tech ideas but have no way of marketing them or getting them in front of people, so I would introduce them to a few friends in the business school, which was insanely funded and would host tons of entrepreneurial pitch competitions with VC's from the area to see if they could get funding or if it was even a viable idea.

God I miss school...

And for big ideas like that its always at least taking a look into IMO, like right now I have a friend that is working on an app that pools data from all the major ride sharing providers to get you the lowest possible fair and gets you the car, then the app just charges a super small finders fee on top on the ride. So almost like a competitor without competing at all... "Artificial competition" lol

If it was a group of business and CS students who wanted me in, I'd be all over the project, but it was just another CS student who was an Uber driver without any capital or business plan whatsoever, and not even one that would be able to help out with the program. At that point I might as well make the whole thing myself, but even that was and maybe still is above my reach.

youtube.com/watch?v=6G3kQyqMFpQ&ab_channel=ElitheComputerGuyLive

/thread

Thanks. I found this super helpful

I hear you on that one! Anyway man, cool chatting. I'm off, got work in the AM.

I float around this board from time to time so you might see me around!

/thread

This also pretty much sums up everything wrong with technology job descriptions/applications...

Don't even get me started on the interview process for CS/Full-stack dev people either.

can a self taught programmer who didn't go to school get jobs? probably not right?

>he actually fell for the CS meme
HAHAHAHA

>that feel when too smart to be able to search for a job correctly
>that feel when chose cs over a useful education

Have you tried searching using the correct terms? You should try using the term "retail" to help you find a useful application of your knowledge.

start writing code for open source projects. if you suck, they will review it so you know how to do stuff better. if you are a good programmer then they will tell you so. keep doing that and you might find a job.

useful field being a euphemism for what you want me to do

>I'm getting an associate's degree in software development at my local community college before going for a Bachelor's
>got an internship which is likely to turn into a hire at the end because it ends with my last semester of class
>I have more job prospects than OP
o i am laffin

Just talked to a recruiter about this recently. Apparently the trick is to take contract work through hiring firms. I'm about to apply to a few tomorrow.

OP here, can I succ your dicc?

Are you serious?
Not jostling my johnsons?

I hope you're aware that job fairs are for
1. local businesses
and
2. people with a stake in the school (defense contractors, usually)

If you don't go to a high class school, high class companies won't attend your job fair.

You have to hunt for them on your own. Job fairs are worthless. I tried to get an internship/actual job out of those stupid shits for years, until this ONE fucking time I decided to apply straight for a bigass company like IBM, Microsoft, whatever.

Got in first try. Shit that was way too easy. My experience is a lot like yours.
Try a Data Scientist position. It seems like your thing. Data Scientists can only really be afforded by bigass companies anyway.

>Don't even get me started on the interview process for CS/Full-stack dev people either.
IKR

>be me
>do code screen for large ecommerce company
>do not pass
>"due to policy, we do not give any feedback but please reapply in six months"

Another instance
>be me
>apply to tech job at local clothing store
>get called next day by recruiter
>conversation seemingly goes well
>get rejection email following day with no code screen or feedback

And a final one
>be me
>get code screen on hackerrank
>it won't run the code that runs on my machine
>facedesk.jpg

DO. NOT. DO. WEB.
Search for other SE positions. The best way is, through your connections from uni. Also learn C++.

I'm in IT field, computer system diploma. I'm interesting in SE. Do i need continue degree in uni or just self taught? Recently i learned Java by myself. I need advice

>be me
>no college degree
>no high school diploma
>have never failed an interview or not gotten a job i wanted
>currently a SE for a financial software company
sucks to suck

How?
Tell me your secrets.

Why not web? A bubble?

Actual OP here. Thanks!

The best advice I can give you is to do drugs. You need a creative mind to generate good solutions, and not enhancing yourself is actually pretty dumb. Most people need extra potency in their life to break their own limits.

I recommend DMT, because other drugs have problems and DMT does not have any problems.

You want to take it orally.

Take 3.5 grams of ground up syrian rue seeds, in 00 capsules. That's 5 00 capsules.

Wait an hour for the MAOI to be active.

Take acacia confusa(DMT containing plant), powdered, also in 00 capsules. Take 4-6 capsules. You can take more but good luck.

DMT will stimulate neurogenesis, among other positive things. This is ayahuasca, without brewing. It's effective. You can buy everything online legally.

You might not take this post seriously because of drug stigma or memes or whatever, but I literally just told you a reliable and no-downsides method of triggering neurogenesis. You're welcome.

Just apply

and as I note, I am offering this solution because it's a generic method to improve. Most advice you get is not going to have a tangible result. It's all based on available opportunity within your environment. You need high amounts of personal comprehension in order to succeed when those opportunities are presented. Taking mentally enhancing substances is a direct thing you can do to improve your success rate.

Learn html, css and javascipt you idiot.

>Algorithms & Data Structures, Automata Theory, Discrete Mathematics, Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis, Mathematical Logic, Java, Machine Learning, etc

you should have a job then, bud

credentials doesn't automatically transfer into employment. plenty of soft things involved. also all that stuff is academic. he could be a detectably shit engineer

Learn es6

Learn React

Learn svelte

Guaranteed employment for next 1-2 years

Bubble will burst q3 of 2017

Blame the market, nobody is innovative anymore

Why the fuck would you need someone who has experience with jQuery, Angular, Backbone, Ember and React? OR should be enough.

Also, what the fuck do they mean "AJAX"?
Learning how to use XHRs is easy as piss. And i guess most companies don't even expect you to know how those work, they just want $.get poo2loo code.

If learning that is considered achievement enough to be on the list, does "knowing Angular" mean that recognizing the name is enough?