What's a good distro for someone that's using Linux outside of virtualbox for the first time?

What's a good distro for someone that's using Linux outside of virtualbox for the first time?
>inb4 gentoo
>inb4 kevin

Ubuntu if you want cozy, Kali if you want to break into shit, tails if you want to stay quiet, Manjaro if you want something close to a windows experience, Fedora if you're okay with never telling people you literally use an operating system called fedora.

Right now ive actually installed remix os and i love it to death. Once you get nova launcher working on it, you feel like you're in the future

openPEPE

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

2 years ago, I would have said Debian - It's unfortunately no longer usable.

If you can follow a very clear and explicit step by step guide, the GuixSD install is one of the slickest things ever.
Though it might not blow your mind the way it did mine, as you just don't know what to expect.
But this is obviously the future of not just GNU, but *nix in general.
In 5 years, everyone is going to be [poorly] trying to copy everything they're doing today, and you have the opportunity right now to be one of the early adopters and help pull us all into the future.
For a full DE they have Xfce and Gnome - Install and try both and see what you like.
If you have any questions, the people in #Guix on freenode are very helpful.
If nothing else, reply with your take on their site and the things it says and the install guide etc - I'm interested in how it's perceived by someone new to this.

I just got a Linux distro for the first time about a week ago. I got OpenSuse. There's a lot of info on it out there so it wasn't too hard to figure out. I've been enjoying it so far. Guides for other stuff will usually work for it with either small or no changes.

ZorinOS. Looks clean. Works well. Its easy.

>nova launcher on desktop
wat?

Remix os is Android.

OC

>android on desktop
wat?

Great for extreme newbies.

I wish my coworkers would write comments like that.

Solus with budgie just werks and looks nice.

Also the best performing distro, boots up in 7s from my HDD and much smoother/faster/more responsive than Fedora 24 was.

Yes, that's what remixos is.

PCLinuxOS

This.

Get any distro, it doesn't matter. They are all the same essentially and just variations of abstractions. You either have massively abstract package manager and scripts/installer doing everything for you or you do it yourself.

Fedora is good, Ubuntu LTS is good (with Mate or Xubuntu), Elementary OS is good it's a Windows/OSX UI clone in Linux.

Mint is all kinds of bad, due to complexity and shit being automatically on by default everywhere.

You should also get a book on whatever distro you get, like read the Debian Administrator's Handbook it's free. Or Ubuntu books, or the Slackware book. That way you won't be back here complaining something didn't work you'll know how to fix it.

You also don't want a rolling release OS like Arch/Gentoo because if you go away for a week and come back good luck merging those updates. Set up KVM and run Arch in that for a while until you get used to what's going on if you want rolling release

Xubuntu

GNU IN THE LOO-NIX

>good luck merging those updates
Never had a problem with Gentoo merges since they actually do stabilization. I guess SLOT changes can be confusing .

Ubuntu or an Ubuntu flavor like Xubuntu

Maybe Linux Mint

any "real" distro is gonna be a headache and if you aren't into reinstalling/changing OS'es every month you will be unhappy with your decision

stick with "baby" distros (Sup Forums is full of hipsters that can't stomach the idea that children and grandparents can use a computer with the same OS as them so they shill for needlessly difficult distros with teeny tiny user bases)

>inb4
>still kevin posting

This. It's excellent. Just as good as Ubuntu just with better looks, plus you can change your interface easily.
It doesn't really matter which distro you'll choose, as long as it works and isn't a meme distro it will run the same as others. The only difference is default UI and default software, and you can always install new software easily. Get the one that looks good to you and is popular enough so you can troubleshoot problems easier. Don't expect not to break anything, you definitely will but it's not a bad thing to experiment with shit. I doubt anyone hasn't broken their OS when they were kids, especially Windows. Just think of yourself as a kid who's just got their first PC.
Hint; Debian is the most popular base distro for desktop use, so use anything that is debian or Ubuntu based. Alternatives are openSUSE and Solus™.

Fedora 25 just install rpm fusion to get all the repositories that it doesn't come with

snake oil exposed

>install openPEPE inside VM
>it just werks
>Yast is nice
>Zypper works as well as pacman
>fucking hate KDE tho
Is it a cardinal sin to use openSUSE without KDE? I really want to keep using XFCE...

mostly agree with this, except manjaro. manjaro is a shit tier distro.

no kevin

Xubuntu. Or any other ubuntu based distro, but not ubuntu itself.

Slackware is the best distro. If you really want to learn.