I have to say Fedora 25 is pretty nice. General Fedora thread? Have you encountered bugs while using Wayland?

I have to say Fedora 25 is pretty nice. General Fedora thread? Have you encountered bugs while using Wayland?

Other urls found in this thread:

ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/97735/steam-freezing-with-fedora-25probably-gpu-issues/
wayland.freedesktop.org/extras.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do the NVIDIA proprietary drivers work with wayland?

nouveau is garbage.
nvidia egl stream support when?

Gnome 3.24

Since we're talking about GPU, I've been using Fedora Cinnamon since 22 with my shitty Radeon HD 4200 mesa drivers. When I upgraded to 25, I did a clean install, and my GPU is now shitting itself.
This is my post in ask.fedora:
>ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/97735/steam-freezing-with-fedora-25probably-gpu-issues/

inb4 >gaymes > steam

I already tried using proprietary graphics but my GPU is too old for that shit. I just want to play indie games at work.

smplayer/mpv is buggy
screen layout changed after upgrade
.profile doesn't work anymore

I think you have to build mpv with --enable-wayland flag to make it work?
wayland.freedesktop.org/extras.html

Don't really want to move back to Fedora after switching to Arch, but I do think the Fedora team have done some good stuff this time around. I don't think i can use any distro now without the AUR

What's so good about AUR? To me it seems to be just a set of precompiled applications. Are they even auditioned for security?

Not him but there's a lot of packages. It's almost like if Ubuntu PPAs weren't fucking terrible. Package not in your repo? yaourt -S packagename and you'll most likely get your package.

>What's so good about AUR?
The fact that you have a ton of software available.
I personally never really use it. I think all I have are broadcom-wl-dkms, pamac-aur, and google-chrome-whatever installed from it.
>precompiled applications
A lot of it is not precompiled.
>Are they even auditioned for security?
lol no

Got it on a laptop using Xorg. It's good. Nothing much more to say about it. It feels like the most polished distro out there. It's just not for everyone. Good as a workstation, not so good as a media center. Good for more open hardware, not so good for proprietary hardware.

Chrome didn't work. Rolled back to 24.

I guess the shitty repo maintainers at RPMFusion/United RPMs didnt do that then.
Which is another problem with Fedora: the terrible repos

What? Both chrome and chromium work just fine. Just use the rpm provided by Google.

I agree.

nope

It's the best operating system.

1. It took hours of struggle building transmission with gtk3+ support. Instructions on github don't work, AUR's pkgbuild don't work, i had to actually read the configure/make output to figure out what's wrong and resolve deps by hand!
But result worth it. Can't wait this update in upstream.
2. Can't get why owncloud won't use breeze-themed tray icon on desktop, whilst at laptop it fits perfectly well.
3. Fucking pidgin raises chat window every time it gets incoming message in a PUBLIC conversation. Very annoying and settings don't affect it's behavior in any way at all.
4. Some specific configurations of Taskbar extension can cause fatal gnome crash (you will need to log in under gnome-xorg-session and disable extension).
Everything else is fine and werks, love fedora copr, love rpmfusion, GOAT distro imo.

The one in the AUR is broken though. Half the controls don't do anything.

Also, the AUR is filled with viruses, because it's not secure at all.

Basically, you need clone repo, then delete m4/glib-gettext.m4, then
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --with-gtk --enable-utp
and fix manually all 'lib-*randomshit* not found' exceptions using dnf, then make and install.
But that autogen drops stupid random irrelevant exceptions so it's really hard to figure out what's wrong on the way.
> the AUR is filled with viruses
PKGBUILD it's just bash script with few addintional entry points. Just read it to make sure if everything is ok, my nigga.

install arc theme you nigger

Is F25's Mesa built with GLVND enabled? Would be nice to have the Intel driver not get fucked when the NVIDIA driver's installed.

>I want my computer to look like every other kiddie's posting in a rice thread
No thank you.

While this wasn't me I agree. Adwaita is pretty nice looking and minimal and gets the job done.

*tips*

>two, TWO hamburger menus!

How can Linux even compete?

Adwaita is nice but it gets boring after a while. I wish they'd ship with multiple themes (that are actually good).

nvidia drivers barely work with any distro

only one i got to work with my 980ti is ubuntu gnome

What GPU company has the best linux support? If I were to buy a new laptop right now, which one you guys would recommend?

still on F24, also KDE spin with Oxygen icons and Plastik theme AND black-on-white terminals with yellow decorations just because I can

That'd be nice. I think better solution would be to make theme installation easier (maybe similar to gnome-shell extensions?).

Btw. Arc is the new Numix.

Intel

>fedora thread
>Archfags talk about AUR

>Have you encountered bugs while using Wayland?
waylandfags can't do this

>unironically GIMP

>mad waylandfag can't use his colordropper tool or record his screen
krita is buggy as shit you queerbaiter

i'm using photoshop like every other functional human being, you collosal faggot

good thing im not a faggy graphics design major who actually needs to use that shit, faglord. linux is far superior for programming

Ubuntu is the best 1337 |-|@>

I've installed it. Right after I've tried to remap alt+tab to alt+space and couldn’t. Went back to opensuse leap and kde.

>look at this thing wayland can't do!
>that i don't actually need lol

The first one refers to selected torrent itself, the second it's overflow for application-wide settings.
But yes, it's kinda stupid.

Who are you quoting, retard? That's not what I said. I do need it for when I want to edit more simple images. Photoshop is better for complex stuff. GIMP is easier to use for simple edits.

Anyway that doesn't matter because there are still many people who need to be able to use the color dropper tool and record their screen, which your broken display server can't do. Retard.

Installing gentoo. Only have wireless. Should I use wpa_supplicant or install networkmanager?

Install wpa_gui. NM is bloated systemd-affected piece of sucking crap (that accidetaly restarts itself every 30 seconds on my laptop lol).

What do you suggest using instead of wayland?

Depends on whether you only use a single WiFi network or not.
For me NM. Because it's a laptop.
What does Gentoo have to do with Fedora?

I try to like that arc theme. But it's just so nonfunctional. No clear borders. Dots everywhere. No contrast.
Adwaita just works for me.

I accidentally thought this was fglt, sorry.

But you don't have to use Wayland. There is x-server fallback for those who don't want to use it.

Fedora is what Linus personally uses, you'll often find him on the mailing list ranting about some stupid bugs the Fedora team put in.

One thing about Fedora is they do fix obscure bugs unlike Canonical and other distros (debian) who just leave them there for years.

You can use Wayland if you want, but it's still not ready yet. If you play any games you're going to get small performance drops from XWayland, there are still many compatibility issues like the color dropper tool in GIMP and screen recording. Gnome 3 is the only one with support for it and isn't fully ported, you can't restart the Gnome shell in Wayland with Alt+F2 r like X for example. That was all I found from a couple hours of using it. I didn't even try full screen gaming. And I don't get any screen tearing in X so there's no real reason for me to use it.

It's more friendly. More Linux related. I can understand the confusion.

Wouldn't that still keep the xwayland program's xorg functionality sandboxed? As in, that it cannot use anything else?

> and screen recording.
What are you talking about, bwaaaaka?

how do i make my shit look like this?

Regardless of the skin and UI cosmetics, the Linux kernel is garbage and will always be 0.001% of desktops.

Give it up niggers

>still on fedora 24
>updated terminix a few days ago
>suddenly no more Unicode support for \u2019 (‘)

What the fuck? Had to download gnome-terminal.

>VLC
>Idolshit
>KDE
>Lagfox

KYS yourself

Install latest gnome-shell and gnome-tweak-tool. Download VimixLight theme from deviantart and unpack into ~/.themes.
Set shell theme and gtk-theme in tweak-tool to VimixLight and icon theme to Paper.
Fonts are Roboto regular/bold for anything and cousine for monospace.
In terminal it's zsh + oh-my-zsh in almost default setup.

Europa Universalis IV and Hearts of Iron won't load on Wayland so I turned back to Xorg

>filled with viruses.
>i can't read a pkgbuild
>the aur isn't for windows

Fedora is a complete joke

It's OK to have appreciation and hate threads alongside each other. Please don't be so salty and let things happen the way it should.

The OP of that thread is a notorious ms shill.

Why the fuck isn't the second hamburger be next to the torrent itself? What the fuck were they thinking?

Holyfoks 2.3gb ram with only 1 app. Disgusting

Probably because it's Chromium stable. As it's not a rolling release distro.
Chrome dev, or Chromium-git are considerably less RAM hungry.

I just necro'd

Elaborate

i literally just installed it and updated it and now gnome refuses to work, according to dmesg gnome-session just segfaults

this error has existed for years too, i've seen many posts on the internet from 2013 with the exact same error

Whenever I use libreoffice the window is enlarged way too much. I think it's a screen res problem with libre thinking I'm on kde2 instead of 3. I didn't have the problem on fedora 24. Any ideas?

Is this distro actually good? I haven't used it solely because it's named fedora.

>Give it up niggers
I was going to try and defend against that statement... but then I remembered ubuntu

Fedora is probably my favorite distro right now, 25 is great

It's okay if you like gnome and systemd.

Tablet doesn't work for drawing in wayland because all the programs I would use it with use xwayland which doesnt have tablet support. So I had to use X11 instead, which endlessly crashes on f25, rolled back to 24 and everything is fine. I can't wait for wayland to be finished.