Hi Sup Forums

Hi Sup Forums.

You guys problably heard this question before, as surely Im not the first and not the last to consider such options but - with new PC and fresh SSD, should I install Windows 10 Education or Windows Server 2016?

Have legal keys and ISOs of both, as a student. Also, this is not some "Pro" or "Pro Education", but normal "Education" - Enterprise level but without Cortana, among other things.

I heard positive things about Server 2016 here on Sup Forums, which is surprising, considering how often people bash Windows and MS here.

I also have some IoT version, but describtion specify that this version is clearly not for desktop/laptops.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)
archive.is/OBGB1
archive.is/tW6fu
archive.is/2XIvX
archive.is/qLRZx
archive.is/thsGd
archive.is/sz1nt
archive.is/g3QdQ
archive.is/ko469
archive.is/l6pmO
archive.is/zK93U
archive.is/CEvKh
archive.is/vhjwm
archive.is/2jehd
archive.is/KQsBh
archive.is/MB0Yy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just go for Education. You almost definitely don't need to be running a server OS as doing so can cause minor issues.

Install Solus

It's a pain to update Win 10 Enterprise.

>You almost definitely don't need to be running a server OS as doing so can cause minor issues.

What issues?

Since Edu dont have Cortana, it is tempting to install one, but I also heard that Server 2016 have greater degree of control from the user side. Also heard about people using it as everyday desktop OS, even for playing games.

Distro with yet another different package manager (eopkg) and desktop environment (Budgie)? Whats the point, when there are tested and trusted distros as Debian?

Still, this thread is about Windows, not Linux distros.

It may have more control but it's control geared toward setting up a server. Are you setting up a server or a desktop?

>You almost definitely don't need to be running a server OS as doing so can cause minor issues
Yet Sup Forums insists on recommending people to install the server OS called Linux...

I suggest Education as Server 2016 require further configuration such as the setting of the sound service in services.msc(otherwise no sound)

Actually, there are desktop orientated distros and server orientated distros, so...

Mint for example, is clearly desktop orientated.

Desktop, true. "Control" as about installing components you need/want, instead of coming in loaded with everything. If I recall correctly, at least some first versions of Server 2016 were coming without GUI at first, so people had to install it via PowerShell first.

How so?

Microsoft is part of NSA's mass surveillance program "PRISM":
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

Microsoft informs the NSA about bugs before fixing them:
archive.is/OBGB1

Microsoft openly offeres cloud data to support PRISM:
archive.is/tW6fu

Microsoft has backdoored its disk encryption:
archive.is/2XIvX
archive.is/qLRZx

Windows snoops on the users' files, text input, voice input,
location, contacts, calendar records and web browsing history,
even after related settings are turned off:
archive.is/thsGd
archive.is/sz1nt
archive.is/g3QdQ
archive.is/ko469
archive.is/l6pmO
archive.is/zK93U

Micrcrosoft automatically downloads Windows 10 on PCs running
Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 (between 3.5GB and 6GB), even if
users have not opted-in:
archive.is/CEvKh

Windows 10 scans for illegal/pirated software:
archive.is/vhjwm
archive.is/2jehd
archive.is/KQsBh

Microsoft proudly presents surveillance statistics:
archive.is/MB0Yy

> Over 82 billion photos viewed.
> Gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games.
> 44.5 billion minutes/month spent in Microsoft Edge.
> Over 2.5 billion questions asked of Cortana since launch.
> Windows 10 now active on over 200 million devices.

Oh, look, parrot flew in to sing the very same pasta.

Assuming your school doesn't provide you with 7 Pro keys as well (mine does) or you have Skylake, go for Server 2016. There's a guide for turning Server 2012 into a workstation OS so you can use that to setup 2016. If something you need doesn't work on Server 2016 then install Education.

It does provide keys for 7 Pro and 8.1 Pro as well, but I do have Skylake on my new PC.

Skylakes dont like 7 for some reason?

>I don't know the first thing about Linux so I'll just say stupid shit and hope no one picks up!
You'd think that when you not only have the source code for something, but also ample documentation and manpages that people would read. But I guess it's just easier to shitpost aint it

Since you didn't specify what you are going to do with that machine I'll assume it's a desktop:

Try Devuan with xorg and fluxbox. Comfy as fuck!

Actually, it have to be Windows in this case.

You've just proven 's point, this one an easy one

Just get a Desktop since you be playing vidia on it 90% of the time

Just get regular 10 Enterprise.

Server is nice

Some applications won't install on it though. So better get an iPad you nigglet.

Education.

>How so?
You have to download a full installation iso from MSDN to update major versions.

I would have to buy/pirate it, when Education is already here, ready to install.

>You have to download a full installation iso from MSDN to update major versions.

I thought that this would be true only for LTSB versions.

Unfortunately not. I had to run through the process a little while back on my workstation.

>OS called Linux

You do realize that there are both desktop and server oriented, linux based OSs right?

>ad hominem

Dude, this pasta is being posted on regular manner, in almost every Windows related thread, no matter if person in question ask about anything related to privacy and such. Over and over. Even after people pointed out how links in questions are about speculations, analysis of technical preview versions, overinterpretation or plain outdated.

Mindlessly copied over and over, without thinking about the contents of the pasta itself.

If a person post on Sup Forums, there are like 95% chances that they know about alternatives and when they want to use Windows, its because thats what they need.

No point in acting lke Gentoo Witness. Especialyl since original question was about choosing between two versions.

Anybody else?