Can Linux support a 20 year old scanner without any advance IT skills?

Can Linux support a 20 year old scanner without any advance IT skills?

youtube.com/watch?v=qlpRXbuX8wE

nope (see image)

because we're really going to be using those 20 year old scanners, right?

Now this looks like a worth while use case to consider. Not watching the video, but does it work in Windows?

>drivers fused to kernel
Am I reading this right? Does Linux really have drivers fused to kernel, in an manner that it is not easy to add/remove them?

>patch and rebuild kernel
>IT skills
topkek

wtf I hate modern operating systems now

It won't. This is a Windows 95 era hardware so therefore, it needs a driver update to work on modern Windows.

>Linux really have drivers fused to kernel,
They're modules, and you can choose which you load, simply delete them, or don't compile them at all when you build your own kernel.

I works in Windows XP.

XP is still usable as a daily driver in 2016.

I doubt HP even has current windows drivers for it

Enjoy your non-security in your OS.

>tfw you remember that Stallman created the free software movement due to sperging out over printer drivers

But you can add drivers on fly in windows. It will even search it on the windows update database. Can you do same in Linux(genuinely asking)

The non-free printer drivers were the linchpin that drove him to start a worldwide movement to escape from proprietary software. There were other events up to that point that contributed to this linchpin.

Windows 95 drivers cannot work on Windows 10 by default. There needs to be brand new drivers written to run on the Windows 10 driver model. In Linux, as long as the driver is free software, the hardware will be supported out of the box. I have a 13 year old USB scanner that works out of the box because the drivers to that scanner are free software and are included in Linux by default.

>XP is still usable as a daily driver in 2016.
Sure, if you keep your machine off the open internet or don't mind having a seriously insecure OS with no security updates.

Using XP on the open internet today is a bit like being one of those people with immune systems so badly compromised they have to live in one of those hyper-clean bubble rooms walking out on the street like normal people.

Haha, I had the same issue with my old scanner from 2001, there were no win7 64bit drivers. Only way I could use it was by running it inside a VM running WinXP.

the problem actually wasn't he lack of Win7 drivers, but the lack of 64bit drivers. For 32bit Win7, it does have working drivers...

I ended up buying a new scanner (hey, the old one was 15 years old at that point), which can also scan way the fuck faster. A4 at 600dpi in 20 seconds compared to the 3 minutes of the old one.

>5:32 - 6:22
most boring shit i have ever seen

Yes, you can definitely load and un-load drivers written as kernel modules as you please. This is really no different compared to windows.

What people mean when they talk about Linux kernel drivers is not that they're bolted onto the kernel, but that they're run in something called kernel space. Windows also used to run drivers in kernel space, but stopped doing that in 7 because of how much of the crashing under Vista was caused by drivers crashing and taking the whole OS with them. Linux can survive drivers crashing in kernel space so they never really had the need to push drivers out of kernel space.

here, let me post one of my finest laughing whores. you earned it.

Looks like he found himself a 15-20 year old website. Linux 2.4 is pretty old. Are those built into the kernel now?

Lots of old information about old hardware out there, that simply isn't relevant anymore. that just works in most kernel configs used by the more popular distributions.

my neighbor was still using win98 in 2012 and I gave him a P4 I got for free and put xubuntu on it. It actually supported his hp 510C, via parallel/centronics.

so use debian 5 for that scanner

You are nice.

Sorry but my own experience contradicts this claim, most older hardware i have tried works ootb except for some brand that doesn't exists anymore and that never had a proper linux driver like VIA graphics.

>remove java
>remove flash
>strict firewall rules
>disable unnecessary services
>EMT
>antivirus program

It's literally fine. Outdated and a PITA to use compared to 7 though.