So I'm planning on getting a 1070. Anyone have any feedback about this card...

So I'm planning on getting a 1070. Anyone have any feedback about this card? Is it worth paying the extra 200$ for the 1080? It seems like games today would barely even take advantage of the 1070.

Other urls found in this thread:

majorgeeks.com/news/story/nvidia_adds_telemetry_to_latest_drivers_heres_how_to_disable_it.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/L8C2bj
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

PS I don't plan on gaming in 4K for at least another year

FYI. I just bought a 1060 and most games im play are doing 2160p on it. Idk why people push for 1080's for 4k so much. 1070 will be plenty even if you wanted to do 4k

>wait
1080Ti is out soon enough.
Regardless of what you're getting, wait.

>PS I don't plan on gaming in 4K for at least another year
Get a 1060.

>like games today would barely even take advantage of the 1070.
then just underclock/undervolt

>people who think GTX1080 is a 1440p card
GTX1080 is barely enough for applying DSR and SSAO.

>It seems like games today would barely even take advantage of the 1070.
Some do like Witcher 3 at 1080p, if you bump every single setting to the max.

t. 1070 Gaming X owner

I run at 85fps 1440p on a 1080, everything max apart from anti-aliasing hairworks on (using mod to remove it for geralt since it looks like shit on him) and some texture mods.

>witcher 3 graphics settings

we all know where that processing power is going

>recommending a 1060 over a rx480

nvidiots in full shill as usual

For a 1080p go with AMD 480 Much better value then a 1060/1070 for 1440p+ go for a gtx 1080 if you can afford it

Turn hairworks anti-aliasing off or on 2 and its more manageable and not much quality loss.

Hairworks looks pretty good on ghosts, tho.

Unwillingness to compromise on settings i guess. Even a 1060 could probably comfortably do 4k if you were willing to play in low-medium settings with no AA.

This or the 490 because the price of anything lower will drop. That's why I'm waiting for Zen to come out before building a new PC. Whether I go AMD or Intel prices will come out with new higher end shit.

>out
down

>implying that the price of either Zen or the 490 will impact intel and nvidia prices
Never happened, except on the GTX2xx gen.

>AMD 480
>that price

Long time Nvidia user here, why is that card so cheap?

Of course it will. Supply and command.

I'm wanting to play VR games and develop games which will take advantage of VR.
Would a 1060 actually make a Vive usable, or is this "vr ready" thing a meme?

Im thinking of getting the 1080 TI but they keep dragging it out. If the 1060 will do the same job I should get it instead of dumping another 600 into the 1080ti

No it won't, friendo. Demand for Nvidia cards and Intel CPUs is never short.
In other words, AMD will be the one who's forced to sell cheaper to get any market share. Intel and Nvidia will just stick to their prices because they'll sell like they always did: a lot better than AMD.

>In other words, AMD will be the one who's forced to sell cheaper
Well there you go, just like I said, Chanjeet.

Don't skimp on the VRAM

You explicitly said Intel/Nvidia prices would go down as well on

The market is a crapshoot, I took a 2:1 shot and hit one.

The 1060 is hidously priced and Nvidia has it's fair share of driver issues if not more then AMD lately. Their GFE software included in the driver actually requires you to log in and records telemetry even if you don't install it.

majorgeeks.com/news/story/nvidia_adds_telemetry_to_latest_drivers_heres_how_to_disable_it.html

I own a GTX 1080 because I need the performance and AMD doesn't have any competing products (yet) but on the low-end market AMD is much better value with no horrible business practices. They also have HW support for Async compute.

>I own a GTX 1080 because I need the performance

>I really have to play LoL on Ultra or my subscribers will think I'm a fag

>Projecting this hard

/thread

Can report ~70fps doom 1440p here

because it runs so stupidly hot.
you'll literally be cooking everything else in your case with that fucking thing.
>target temp is 85C
>max temp is 90C
whos stupid fucking idea was this? fucking fermi wasn't even this fucking hot.
trying to keep it within 70C causes you to suffer from hearing loss its fan speed raises so high.
you get better gains for overclocking potential BY UNDERVOLTING.
FUCK. i want my money back.

Thats fucked. Thanks for the info.
Do you know if they botnetted the linux drivers too?
I dont know shit about amd, I havnt had an amd card since my windows xp laptop..
I want decent vr, not bottom of the barrel, what would you recommend?
Ive never been into pc gaming, so I dont know shit about video cards. Until I get the 1080ti, the graphics card is going to be my limiting factor, what would you recommend for short to moderate term use?

>you'll literally be cooking everything else in your case with that fucking thing.
That's not how it works, if you increase cooling with the onboard fans you're just transferring the heat from the GPU to the air in the case faster. It doesn't just magically disappear. Any other processor that uses the same amount of electricity will output the same amount of heat. So the only difference between measuring 70c and 90c at the processor with the same load is how effectively you're moving the heat somewhere else.

are you retarded?
you think having something that hot on the pcb isn't going to inadvertly affect the rest of the air in the case? they need to dissipate the heat out of the case, not let it linger there to be picked up by the cpu fan or any heatsink which is above the fucking pcie slot.

how the fuck is having something that's 85C sitting in your case not equate to higher ambient case temperate, as opposed to having something that is 70C? obviously it's generating the same heat output, but displacing it out of the case rather than letting it leak for all the other components to pick up is fucking stupid

can't believe i have to spell this out in such detail, you're fucking stupid.

>i've only looked at the temps for reference cards
my rx 480 msi gaming x has never gone above 73c with a 1400 mhz overclock and 100 mv to the core. its power consumption is a downside with an overclock, but what card isnt? it sure as fuck does not get hot if you have a good cooler.

its a known fact nvidia gpus actually receive lower power consumption when overclocked.

amd = pajeets
nvidia = civilized people

either have a hairdrier tier fan blowing, or you're spouting bullshit.

>but on the low-end market AMD is much better value with no horrible business practices.

I've been out of the GPU scene for a while. Heard about the hairworks dilemma with Witcher 3 and all that.

I'm in a similar boat to since I want to develop and play newer vidya myself. I've been eyeing the 1060 6GB and have only ever had Nvidia products. Not because I'm a fanboy just because it's what I'm used to. I honestly know nothing about AMDs current lineup and my previous knowledge of them is shoddy at best.

I hear AMD really pulled forward this year. Is that true? And if so what is a card that is comparable to a 1060 if you don't mind spoonfeeding me?

Totally gonna pick up a cheap 700 series nvidia after christmas from some faggot like you

>And if so what is a card that is comparable to a 1060 if you don't mind spoonfeeding me?

RX 480, it's only a few frames behind and if it's anything like past card races it will be on par with the 1060 if you plan to keep it for more than one generation.

AMD pretty much has the competitive edge in the mid-tier, there's no reason to go below a 1070 for the green side.

Alright then one last spoonfeed. I know nothing about manufacturers. Who is hot and who is not when buying an AMD card?

Sapphire is where it's at. The general brands like MSI or gigabyte are also acceptable.

Asus has cooling and noise issues, Sapphire is pretty good.

Pretty much this.
Selling points' are pretty much if you want LEDs and a back-plate with better cooling than the reference.

Going Sapphire myself since it compliments most builds, but I heard that the Gigabyte might have fan issues if airflow is a concern. Not sure about MSI, never really pay attention to their manufacture for GPUs.

>I honestly know nothing about AMDs current lineup
similar performance for cheaper
drivers that wont break your GPU when you use them
you can download more ram (flash a bios to make it a better gpu)
nvidia is overpriced with the same performance and features...

poolaris is great, but they've allowed nvidia to have a monopoly on the high end bracket for fucking months and months now.

it's fucking awful, just look at the price of a 1070, or 1080.. never have gaymurr gpus been so stupidly overpriced.

Posting here because pcbg is kill.

With or without GPU if I don't play gayms?
pcpartpicker.com/list/L8C2bj

Thanks guys. I'll start saving for a 480 8GB then.

GPU for multi monitor support

I bought a 1070, but I regret not getting the 1080 because the 1070s are voltage locked by shitvidia so they wont get close to the performance of the 1080.

other vr guy here, so is the 480 actually going to satisfy my expectations for vr or should I just keep waiting for the 1080ti meme?

Even if I will only use one monitor?

Do you even know what DSR means?

AYYYMD HOUSEFIRES

>tempted to buy AMD
>don`t want to turn PC into pic related

If you're not planning on 4k, then yes go for it. I built a computer around one about 3 months ago and it hasn't even winced at anything I've thrown it's way.