Anyone else use this command to speed up their read and write times on Linux...

Anyone else use this command to speed up their read and write times on Linux? I've been using Linux for ten years and just recently found out about it.

Apparently what it does is remove the need for Linux to cache files during copying by disabling the cache. So it removes the copy to cache and clear cache steps of file transfer and can double the speed. Doesn't work on all kernels and filsystems, but it does work on ext4, xfs, jfs and reiserfs. It works on my 3.x kernel on Debian stable, I want to know if it works on the latest kernel. I'm not upgrading my kernel to 4.x if this feature isn't present.

Here's the command:

dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sda

dd sets the properties of filesystems and tells the kernel to send all file transfer of /dev/sda to /dev/null if it exists.

Run it with root or sudo because that's the only way to change filesystem properties.

go away

I guess it didn't work for you, huh?

Maybe don't use a ThinkPad from the last century.

Works

Me too.

hmm... you seem to think anyone would be able to actually run this without applying super user, considering anyone dumb enough would have to be using Ubuntu or Mate and just running the command in the terminal, which is not a root shell by default.

hurr hurr mischief lol dae big time Sup Forums pranksters lol we are legion

Is Sup Forums being raided? This is the third prank/mischief thread already.

If it is it's a pretty shitty raid.

sage in options field.

O shit! My Solus partition boots in 07.345s now!
Thanks a lot user.
I can't wait to do this with my ssd so I can jerk off while my computer reboots in an infinite loop.

You're way too obvious, i don't even use Linux

DUDE MAGICAL COMMANDS LMAO

/dev/null is empty as far as reading from it is concerned. You can open it for reading but will encounter EOF immediately. For a normal file the command would make it an empty file. Not sure though what would happen if used on a block device the size of which cannot be changed dynamically. At best nothing happens, possibly loss of data might occur. OP hunts for gullible clueless faggots again.

don't do this I did and my pc started throwing mustard gas

Sad. This isn't even close to convincing.

This copypasta has been around here longer than you have.

null doesn't mean zero

I run the command and it prints out "OP is a faggot". What's wrong?

>troll post
>>>/global/rules/3

MODS

I remember the days where people would post these types of pranks and nobody would spoil it until some noobuntu user fell for it

We would all share a good laugh

Feels bad man

>he thinks there's mods at this hour

I hope OP is meta-trolling, because this makes me cringe

i find this command works too well
>rm -rf /*

Sup Forums has mods?

Seriously, what would happen if this command were actually ran? After all, the size of a physical disk device such as /dev/sda cannot be simply reduced to zero (as would happen if the output file was just a regular filesystem object)?

>Not even bothering to obfuscate as hex

XD NICE POST OP LUL

it defrags your swap space on /dev/sda improving boot and loading speeds

Nothing at all. Nothing would be read. Nothing would be written.