What credentials do you need to find work as a programmer in the GTA (southern Ontario, Canada)?

What credentials do you need to find work as a programmer in the GTA (southern Ontario, Canada)?

depends on a job. but you need a CS degree if you want to make money.

just a BSc in CS for me

>GTA

Haven't thought about this connection for at least a week, seems about time.

Send resumes to big tech in Markham.

Pray for interview.

how do I get an internship if I'm a CS student in the GTA (southern Ontario, Canada)?

Any hope for somebody in Syria with said degrees mentioned above?

1. Don't suck.
2. Have showable projects under your belt.
3. Have references.
4. See #1.

If you did the ol "I'm just gonna study and have fun in my spare time!" You're vs every ching chong and nerd (me included) that spends their free time doing open source projects and other contributions, coding every day, and you are vastly outclassed.

Impressively good advice... Thanks user...

How do you go about "showable projects" and Open-source ones?

Specifically, where do you hunt for open source projects and what's your criteria?

I'm stuck at the portfolio building mission too

I just cant find those damn projects that fat fuck keep telling me to put on it

Name calling (competent?) Anons? Bloke is trying to help lol

There are plenty of open source projects. It's the criteria and methodology of the hunt and selection that matters. To me at least.

Ok. Sorry for the irony in my post but I do need help on my porfolio.

What search criteria should I use to build a solid fullstack web dev portfolio? I'm honestly stuck on this.

For "showable projects", find something you want to make, or conversely, work with other programmers (if you're not a friend-less nerd, but still a nerd) on their projects. Alternatively, draw others onto projects of your own.

About Open Source, simply find something you want to contribute to and start small while you improve, while still being in the scope of your knowledge (i.e you're not going to start contributing to a kernel any time soon, but maybe some Library that does X function you may be knowledgeable about you could contrib to?)

lol if you want to be a fullstack dev, literally just make websites.

Learn the frameworks. Rails, .NET, JBoss, JSP Struts, Play Framework, Django, etc.

Get good at a few of those then do projects. I'll be damned if you're that lonely and have no one you could build a website for.

So it goes like this:
1. Either work on something you want to finish, and draw people to it. Or on a project others started and want to finish.

2. For open source, start small and contribute to stuff related to what you know or what interests you enough to learn it.

Thanks.

As for what you said here
Every now and then I go through times where I stay in my comfort zone.. (college, leisure activities, and strictly consuming knowledge instead of producing work) But once I'm in the zone, I have great perseverance and produce work.

Honestly I want out of the comfort zone I sonetimes enter... Because once I'm in it, it's hard to get back in "the zone" again where I produce instead of consume...

Producing work is of the utmost importance. Theoreticals don't stick too well when you never use them.

Try to hop on to doing something with whatever you learn.

Basically. It could also be a small library. Start from the groundup.

Thanks man.

But I am that lonely and I only can build websites out of my imagination. Thats why I am screwed. I cant figure out what kind of websites to build and how many should I reinvent to make a nice portfolio.

Godspeed, appreciate your replies. Best of luck out there.

Sure look at jobspresso or weworkremotely (google them) or apply to toptal which has devs from Russia/China/everywhere.

Toptal is probably the best bet, Airbnb contract with them. Unsure how they can pay you if you live in Damascus and it's under massive sanctions

Do you study CS?

What got me a head start a while ago was literally going up to a teacher and asking for mentorship. I was then introduced to a fuckton of people and got kickstarted on loads of incredible projects.

You don't have to know many people. As a matter of fact I only know a few I can count with my two hands I am close two, but I've made the most of of what little connections I have.

Do it for the love of what you do, not just for doing it. Sweat the small stuff, dump in the hours. Hell, you'll find it harder to stop working on a project you've once started if you're having a lot of fun with it.

>Pajeet hired because he's Pajeet
>wymyn hired because she's wymyn
>user refused because his skills, degree, "showable projects", references, etc. etc. weren't perfect enough

I'm at college, yes. I think I can do that, in fact I have a couple of websites I've done for projects, are those okay to include on a portfolio? (i thought those were not ethical to be included)

No lol. School shit is garbage usually. Include something you've refined and poured your heart and soul into.

Sadly this is true nowadays too. Women being hired because women is so fucking stupid. We've gone full circle.

>TFW nigger programmers that know jack shit are hired for "diversity"